Common Names in English:
Aromatic Sumac, Fragrant Sumac, Pole-Cat Bush, Skunkbush, Skunkbush Sumac, Squawbush, Squawbush Sumac, Three-Leaf Sumac
Polygamous or dioecious trees
, usually sapiferous; sap
often irritant. Leaves compound
. Flowers small, greenish, in axillary
panicles. Calyx persistent
, 4-6-lobed; lobes
imbricate. Petals 4-6, spreading
. Disk present. Stamens as many as or twice the number of petals; anthers
, imperfect in the female flowers. Ovary unilocular
; styles 3, usually free
. Drupe small and dry.
Commonly known as sumacs. A genus of 250 species occurring in the warm temperate and subtropical regions of both the hemispheres. Represented in Pakistan by 7 species, 4 of which are native .
Flowers: Bloom Period: March. • Flower Color: pale yellow
Size: 4-6' tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,632 meters (0 to 11,916 feet).
Culture: Space 4-6' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 8.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Rhus aromatica Aiton trilobata (Nutt. Ex Torr. & A. Gray) W. A. Weber • Rhus aromatica Aiton var. trilobata (Nutt. Ex Torr. & A. Gray) A. Gray • Rhus aromatica trilobata (Nutt.) Gray Ex. S. Wats. • Rhus aromatica trilobata (Nutt.) W. A. Weber • Rhus aromatica var. trilobata (Nutt.) Gray Ex. S. Wats.
Publishing author : Nutt. Publication : Fl. N. Amer. (Torr. & A. Gray) 1: 219 1838
Members of the genus Rhus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 46 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
R. aromatica (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica var. arenaria (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica var. aromatica (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica var. serotina (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica 'Gro-low' (Gro-Low Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica 'Grow-Low' (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica 'Konza' (Konza Fragrant Sumac) · R. ashei (Ash's Sumac) · R. chinensis (Chinese Sumac) · R. copallina (Dwarf Sumac) · R. copallina copallina (Mountain Sumach) · R. copallina leucantha (Southern Sumac) · R. copallinum (Flameleaf Sumac) · R. copallinum var. copallinum (Flameleaf Sumac) · R. copallinum var. latifolia (Winged Sumac) · R. copallinum var. leucantha (Winged Sumac) · R. coriaria (Elm-Leaved Sumac) · R. crenata (Dune Crowberry) · R. glabra (Smooth Sumac) · R. glabra 'Laciniata' (Cutleaf Staghorn Sumac) · R. glauca (Gray-Green Taaibos) · R. hirta (Staghorn Sumac) · R. integrifolia (Lemonade Berry) · R. kearneyi (Desert Sumac) · R. lancea (African Sumac) · R. lanceolata (Prairie Sumac) · R. lentii (Pink Flowering Sumac) · R. michauxii (False Poison Sumac) · R. microphylla (Littleleaf Sumac) · R. ovata (Chapparal Sumac) · R. pendulina (River Karee) · R. pulvinata (Pulvinate Sumac) · R. sandwicensis (Neleau) · R. trichocarpa (Japanese Sumac) · R. trilobata (Aromatic Sumac) · R. trilobata var. anisophylla (Smoothleaf Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. pilosissima (Fragrant Sumacpubescent Skunkbush Sumac) · R. trilobata var. quinata (Grand Canyon Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. racemulosa (Summer Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. simplicifolia (Single-Leaf Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. trilobata (Ill-Scented Sumac) · R. typhina 'Tiger Eyes' (Staghorn Sumac) · R. virens (Evergreen Sumac) · R. virens choriophylla var. choriophylla (Evergreen Sumac) · R. virens var. choriophylla (Evergreen Sumac) · R. virens var. virens (Evergreen Sumac)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 2002 list of ecological comm[u]nities for Montana / prepared by Montana Natural Heritage Program, Montana State Library. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2002 url .
- A Yosemite flora; a descriptive account of the ferns and flowering plants, including the trees, of the Yosemite National Park; with simple keys for their identification. .. by Harvey Monroe Hall and Carlotta Case Hall. San Francisco, Elder, 1912. url p. 152.
- A college text-book of Botany, being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary Botany." New York, Holt, 1905. url p. 569, p. 735.
- A college text-book of botany: being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany, " / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: Henry Holt and Company1905. url p. 569, p. 735.
- A college text-book of botany; being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany." New York: Holt, 1908 [c1905] url p. 569, p. 735.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 280.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 126.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 447.
- A flora of western middle California, Berkeley, Cal., Encina Publishing Company, 1901. url .
- A phytogeographic and taxonomic study of the southern California trees and shrubs. New York, 1910 url p. 401.
- A preliminary classification of the plant communities of northeastern Montana / Robert L. DeVelice [et al.]. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1991. url , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- A preliminary list of the Hemiptera of Colorado / by C. P. Gillette and Carl [i.e. Charles] F. Baker. Fort Collins, Colo.: American Standard, 1895. url p. 31, p. 58, p. 84.
- A preliminary report on the biology of Harding County, northwestern South Dakota / by Stephen S. Visher. Pierre, S.D.: State Publishing Co., 1914. url p. 52.
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url .
- American plants. .. [Descriptions, bibliographical notes, synonymy, and other information, comp. from many sources] Charles Russell Orcutt, editor. San Diego, Calif., -1910. url p. 918.
- An encyclopaedia of trees and shrubs: being the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum abridged: containing the hardy trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, by J. C. Loudon. London: F. Warne; 1869. url .
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 50, p. 51, p. 52.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 483.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 220.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 99.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 126.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url , p. 345, p. 420.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url p. 102, p. 248, p. 889.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 78.
- Annual report of the Nebraska State Horticultural Society. Lincoln, Neb.: The Society. url p. 122, p. 122.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 62 2004 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 65, p. 86, p. 93.
- Baseline survey for Astragalus barrii Barneby (Barr's milkvetch) and Physaria didymocarpa var. lanata A. Nels (wooly twinpod) in eastern Big Horn and southwestern Rosebud Counties, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2002, c2001. url , , .
- Biodiversity and representativeness of research natural areas on national wildlife refuges in Montana, designated areas within Benton Lake, Charles M. Russell, Lake Mason, Medicine Lake, and Red Rock final report / submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; prepared by Stephen V. Cooper and Bonnie L. Heidel. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1999 url p. 36, p. 37.
- Biological survey of a prairie landscape in Montana's glaciated plains: final report / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program: 2001. url , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Birds of a Maryland farm: a local study of economic ornithology / Washington; G.P.O., 1902. url .
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 191.
- Botanic contributions relating to the flora of western North America [by] Gray, Engelmann, Torrey [and] Fre?mont. v.p., 1843-53 url p. 157, p. 269.
- Botanical and vegetation survey of Carter County, Montana, Bureau of Land Management-administered lands / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst, Stephen V. Cooper, and Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , , p. 28, p. 99.
- Botanical survey of Nebraska. Conducted by the Botanical Seminar. I-VII. Lincoln, Neb., 1892-1904. url .
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass., Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 110.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 4 1964 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 10, p. 12, p. 14, p. 7, p. 9.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 719, p. 940.
- Bulletin - Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono]Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. url p. 78.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 137, p. 264, p. 268, p. 305, p. 318, p. 590, p. 76, p. 76, p. 91.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1969 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 136, p. 82.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 309, p. 35, p. 605, p. 649.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 25.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 64.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 424.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1899 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 234, p. 375, p. 401.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 109, p. 150.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 11, p. 4.
- Bulletin. [Orono.] url p. 78.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 155, p. 20.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 178, p. 183, p. 185, p. 186, p. 25, p. 27, p. 29, p. 361, p. 43, p. 45.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url , , p. 1751, p. 1764, p. 1788, p. 1790, p. 1793, p. 1794, p. 1795, p. 1796, p. 1798, p. 1803, p. 1806, p. 1811, p. 1820, p. 1824, p. 1825, p. 1829, p. 1839, p. 1841, p. 1843, p. 2009, p. 2010, p. 2024, p. 2027, p. 2034, p. 2038, p. 2042, p. 2046, p. 2047, p. 2125, p. 2129, p. 858.
- Circle West vegetation monitoring study. Helena, Mont.: Energy Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation, - url p. 21.
- Circle west vegetation baseline study: final report / by Richard Prodgers. Helena: Energy Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation,  url p. 108, p. 34, p. 35, p. 97.
- Circle west wildlife baseline study: final report / Larry S. Thompson. Helena: Energy Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation,  url p. 216.
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 190, p. 192.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 142, p. 152, p. 196, p. 219, p. 347, p. 365, p. 384, p. 399, p. 40, p. 471, p. 490, p. 540, p. 542, p. 556, p. 665, p. 666, p. 669, p. 81.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 744.
- Desert botanical laboratory of the Carnegie institution, by Frederick Vernon Coville and Daniel Trembly Macdougal. Washington, U.S.A., The Carnegie institution, 1903. url p. 6.
- Desirables and weeds for roadside management: a northern Rocky Mountain catalogue / [Helena]: Available through the National Technical Information Service, 1997] url .
- Distribution of vascular plant species of special concern and limited distribution in the Pryor Mountain Desert; Carbon County, Montana / prepared by Peter Lesica and Peter L. Achuff; prepared for USDI Bureau of Land Management, Montana State Office. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Ecologically significant wetlands in the Upper Yellowstone River watershed: including the Boulder, Clarks Fork Yellowstone, Shields, and Stillwater River drainages / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2001. url , , , .
- Effects of highways on wildlife and fish with special reference to Montana a ProCite literature collection / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1914] url .
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 217, p. 40.
- Essays in geobotany in honor of William Albert Setchell, edited by T.H. Goodspeed. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1936. url p. 98.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1274.
- Exploration of the Red river of Louisiana, in the year 1852; by Randolph B. Marcy, captain Fifth infantry U.S. Army; assisted by George B. McClellan, brevet captain U.S. engineers. With reports on the natural history of the country and numerous illustrations. Washington: A.O.P. Nicholson, 1854. url p. 250.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 531.
- First report on the flora of Wyoming / Aven Nelson. Laramie: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1896. url p. 92.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 226.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 226, p. 226.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 161.
- Flora of the Black Hills of South Dakota. By P.A. Rydberg. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1896. url p. 490.
- Flora of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and neighboring parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia / by P.A. Rydberg. New York: The author, 1922. url p. 550.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 728, p. 728.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 384.
- Food habits of the grosbeaks. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1908. url .
- Globally significant plants in southeastern Big Horn and southwestern Rosebud counties, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2003. url , , , , .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1982 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1120, p. 1329, p. 362, p. 639, p. 646, p. 647.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 31 1893 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 223.
- Journal of entomology and zoology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Pomona College Dept. of Zoology, [1913- url p. 102, p. 102.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 16 1996 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url , , p. 104, p. 218, p. 248, p. 300, p. 93, p. 94.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 13 1912 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 167.
- Key to important woody plants of eastern Oregon and Washington, by Doris W. Hayes and George A. Garrison. Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1960. url p. 132, p. 222, p. 225.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, [c1919] url .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url p. 230.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 216.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 29.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , p. 32, p. 37, p. 39, p. 43, p. 59, p. 71.
- Lund easement baseline biological inventory / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2001 url .
- Mammals of the Mexican boundary of the United States: a descriptive catalogue of the species of mammals occurring in that region; with a general summary of the natural history, and a list of trees / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1907. url .
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 601.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 125.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 216.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , , .
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1957 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 15, p. 28.
- Mule deer in the Missouri River Breaks, Montana: a study of population dynamics in a fluctuating environment / Kenneth L. Hamlin, Richard J. Mackie. [Helena?]: Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url p. 391.
- Mule deer population organization, behavior and dynamics in a northern Rocky Mountain environment / [Bozeman?]: Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife & Parks, 1991] url , .
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , , , p. 229, p. 230, p. 232, p. 258, p. 259.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 225, p. 524, p. 524, p. 566, p. 566.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 126.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1909] url , .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 10, p. 13, p. 152, p. 177, p. 288, p. 297, p. 60, p. 62, p. 62.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 17 2007 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url p. 409.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. San Diego, The Society. url p. 86, p. 86.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 7, p. 8.
- On the campus; addresses delivered at various times before university and college audiences, by Thomas H. Macbride. .. Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1916. url p. 162.
- Our northern shrubs and how to identify them: a handbook for the nature-lover / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1922, c1903. url , , , .
- Paleoecology of the Hay Hollow site, Arizona / Vorsila L. Bohrer, Assistant Professor, Biology, University of Massachusetts. Foreword: Paul S. Martin, Chairman Emeritus, Anthropology. [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1972. url p. 8.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 142.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Montana. [1900?- url p. 27.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 100, p. 233, p. 338, p. 341, p. 437, p. 93.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 106, p. 134, p. 170, p. 2, p. 22, p. 28, p. 322, p. 365, p. 42, p. 487, p. 5, p. 79, p. 85.
- Plant and animal resources and ecological condition of the Hanging Woman Basin in Big Horn County, Montana and Sheridan County, Wyoming / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2003. url , , , .
- Plant community classification for vegetation on BLM lands, Pryor Mountains, Carbon County, Montana / Robert L. DeVelice & Peter Lesica; for USDI Bureau of Land Management, State Office. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1993. url p. 45.
- Plant ecology, by W. B. McDougall. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger url p. 154.
- Plant indicators: the relation of plant communities to process and practice. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1920 url p. 183, p. 185.
- Plant species of concern and plant associations of Powder River county, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2002. url , , , , .
- Plantae Bakerianae by Edw. L. Greene, and others. Washington, D.C.: s.n., 1901 url p. 16, p. 6, p. 7.
- Plantae Lindheimerianae: an enumeration of F. Lindheimer's collection of Texan plants, with remarks and descriptions of new species, etc. / by George Engelmann and Asa Gray. Boston: Printed by Freeman and Bolles, 1845- url p. 164.
- Plantæ Bakerianæ / by Edw. L. Greene and others. [Washington, D.C.: s.n., 1901. url p. 16, p. 6, p. 7.
- Postelsia: the year book of the Minnesota Seaside Station. St. Paul, Minn.: Pioneer Press, 1902-1906. url p. 32.
- Practical forestry. A treatise on the propagation, planting, and cultivation, with a description, and the botanical and popular names of all the indigenous trees of the United States. By Andrew S. Fuller. New York: Orange Judd company,  url p. 297.
- Preliminary report of explorations in Nebraska and Dakota, in the years 1855-'56-'57, by Lieut. G.K. Warren, Topographical Engineers. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1875. url p. 112.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 52.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 52.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 101, p. 125, p. 179, p. 222, p. 242, p. 88.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 296.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 69.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 251.
- Range plant handbook. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1937. url p. xxiii.
- Rapid ecological assessment of selected state lands in southcentral Montana for plant species of special concern / prepared by James P. Vanderhorst; prepared for Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 10, p. 17, p. 7.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 25, p. 9.
- Results of a biological survey of Mount Shasta, California, Washington, Govt Print. Off., 1899. url .
- Results of a biological survey of mount Shasta, California, by C. Hart Merriam, chief of Divison of Biological Survey. Washington, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Div. of Biological Survey: 1899. url p. 152, p. 177, p. 60.
- Rocky mountain flowers; an illustrated guide for plantlovers and plant-users; with twenty-five plates in color and twenty-one plates in black and white [by] Frederic Edward Clements...and Edith Schwartz Clements... 1914 New York city, the H.W. Wilson company, 1914. url explanation of plate 34.
- Rydberg, P. A. Flora of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and neighboring parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, and British Columbia /by P. A. Rydberg... 1917 New York: The author, 1917. url p. 550.
- Science studies, v.1, no. 1-3. Bozeman, Mont.1905. url p. 126, p. 137.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 758.
- Sensitive plant species survey at the southern end of the Elkhorn Mountains, Broadwater and Jefferson Counties, Montana / prepared by Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Sensitive plant species survey, Ashland District, Custer National Forest, Powder River and Rosebud Counties, Montana / by Bonnie L. Heidel and Hollis Marriott; for Custer National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Sensitive plant species survey, Garfield and McCone Counties, Montana / prepared by Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Sensitive plant survey in the Sioux District, Custer National Forest, Carter County, Montana, and Harding County, South Dakota / prepared by Bonnie L. Heidel and Keith H. Dueholm; prepared for Custer National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1995. url p. 165, p. 169, p. 177, p. 38, p. 42, p. 50, p. 6, p. 89.
- Sensitive plant surveys in the Big Belt and Elkhorn Mountains, U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Region 1, Helena National Forest, Montana / prepared by Jackie M. Poole and Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for Helena National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , , , , .
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1334, p. 728.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 115 1951 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 382, appendix, page 414.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 261, p. 482.
- Status review of Lesquerella klausii, U.S. Forest Service, Region 1, Helena and Lewis & Clark National Forests, Montana / prepared by J. Stephen Shelly. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 14, p. 46, p. 54.
- Studies of the vegetation of Missouri. .. / By Julian A. Steyermark. 9 1940 [Chicago, 1940- url p. 435.
- Survey for sensitive plant species on Doherty Mountain, Jefferson County / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for Bureau of Land Management, Butte District. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url , , p. 4.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 386.
- The American journal of science. 33 1862 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 408.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 471.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 1 1952 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 366.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 460.
- The California fruits and how to grow them; a manual of methods which have yielded greatest success, with the lists of varieties best adapted to the differenct districts of the state, by Edward J. Wickson. San Francisco, Pacific Rural Press, 1921. url p. 40, p. 40.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 16, p. 40, p. 404, p. 43, p. 45, p. 580, p. 84.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 13.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 263, p. 81.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 48 1988 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 108, p. 110, p. 115, p. 12, p. 128, figs. 3 & 5, page 22, p. 247, p. 25, p. 262, figs. 2-4, page 270, fig. 3, page 280, p. 282, p. 312, p. 322, p. 463, anderson et al., page 512, fig. 3, page 518, fig. 5, page 521, p. 522, p. 523, p. 53, p. 599, p. 6, p. 60, rumble, page 625, p. 626, p. 663, p. 69, p. 70, p. 82, long, page 93.
- The Mount Rainier forest reserve, Washington / by Fred G. Plummer. Washington: Govt print. off., 1900 url p. 114.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 116, p. 121, p. 137, p. 84.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 113, p. 121, p. 316, p. 317, p. 323, p. 325, p. 327, p. 98.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 351.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 113, p. 118, p. 119, p. 120, p. 127, p. 128, p. 162, p. 163, p. 164, p. 278, p. 39, p. 60.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 31 1947 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 525, p. 527, p. 872, p. 889, p. 890.
- The University of Missouri studies. [Columbia]: The University, 1905-1918. url p. 315.
- The effects of water development upon populations of Gambel's Quail in southwestern Utah / [Salt Lake City]: Utah State Department of Fish and Game, 1964. url p. 133, p. 62, p. 85.
- The ethno-botany of the Coahuilla Indians of Southern California. .. by David Prescott Barrows. Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 1900. url p. 42, p. 42, p. 64, p. 64.
- The flora of Boulder, Colorado, and vicinity, by Francis Potter Daniels. .. [Columbia, Mo.]The University of Missouri, 1911. url p. 167.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 114.
- The mammals and life zones of Oregon. By Vernon Bailey. Washington[U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1936. url p. 13.
- The plant community [by] Herbert C. Hanson [and] Ethan D. Churchill. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp. url p. 185, p. 214.
- The relation of leaf structure to physical factors.  url p. 101, p. 37.
- The vegetation of a desert mountain range as conditioned by climatic factors, Washington, D. C., Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1915. url , , .
- Timber management: a programmatic environmental analysis record for BLM-administered lands in western Oregon / Office, 1974 url p. 48.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 162, p. 79, p. 84.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 110, p. 110, p. 110, p. 127.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 191, p. 204.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 665, p. 669.
- Trees and shrubs; an abridgment of the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum: containing the hardy trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture LondonF. Warne1875 url p. 192.
- Trees, fruits, and flowers of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Minnesota State Horticultural Society, 1899-1920. url p. 95.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture 1949. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture: 1949. url p. 562, p. 940.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture, 1949 / the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office, 1949 url p. 562, p. 940.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 41.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 13 1960 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 119, p. 127, p. 340, p. 379, p. 380, p. 381, p. 382, p. 383, p. 384, p. 385, p. 386, p. 388, p. 389, p. 390, p. 391, p. 392, p. 425, p. 426, p. 427, p. 429, p. 430, p. 431, p. 432, p. 433, p. 434, p. 436, p. 437, p. 469, p. 471, p. 472, p. 473, p. 475, p. 476, p. 477, p. 478, p. 495, p. 509, p. 510, p. 520, p. 520, p. 523, p. 533, p. 533, p. 669, fig. 1, page 92.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 334.
- Useful wild plants of the United States and Canada, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrated with photographs by the author and with drawings by Lucy Hamilton Aring. New York, R. M. McBride & company, 1934. url , p. 154, p. 261.
- Western flower guide, wild flowers of the Rockies and west to the Pacific, Garden City, Doubleday, Page & company, 1917. url p. 111, p. 282.
- Wild flowers and trees of Colorado. Boulder, A. A. Greenman, [c1909] url .
- Wildfire succession in plant communities natural to the Alkali Creek vicinity, Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2001. url .
- With the flowers and trees in California, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrations of flowers in color, by Elizabeth Hallowell Saunders. New York: McBride, Nast, 1914. url p. 150.
- Woodhawk botanical survey, Fergus County, Montana, Lewistown District of the Bureau of Land Management / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1997. url p. 23, p. 24, p. 34, p. 35.
- Woody plants of the western national parks; containing keys for the identification of trees and shrubs, by Virginia Long Bailey and Harold Edwards Bailey. Notre Dame, Ind., University Press, 1949. url p. 154, p. 155, p. 269.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 189.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-2006. Systema Naturae 2000. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Accessed October 3, 2006.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 22, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 17 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 30, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University and Jepson Herbaria DiGIR provider
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, The Deaver Herbarium, Northern Arizona University
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Utah State University, USU-UTC Specimen Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2652278
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-28791
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13743909
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:70933-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 31717
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 28791
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 284262-2
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: SCTRA RHTR
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 60045
- Yashin J. Nasir "Rhus". in Flora of Pakistan Page 4.. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 1,219.200 meters (4,000.000 feet), Standard Deviation = 711.650 based on 533 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]