- Fragrant Sumac is not poisonous at all, even though it looks a bit like poison ivy, and a name like "Poison Sumac". It does not contain the poisonous oil urushiol that causes the itchy rash in many people. The hairy berries of Fragrant Sumac are bright red in the fall .
Common Names in English:
Fragrant Sumac, Aromatic Sumac, Lemon Sumac, Polecatbush, Skunkbrush, Squawbush, Sweet Sumac, Sweet Sumach
Polygamous or dioecious trees
, usually sapiferous; sap
often irritant. Leaves compound
. Flowers small, greenish, in axillary
panicles. Calyx persistent
, 4-6-lobed; lobes
imbricate. Petals 4-6, spreading
. Disk present. Stamens as many as or twice the number of petals; anthers
, imperfect in the female flowers. Ovary unilocular
; styles 3, usually free
. Drupe small and dry.
Commonly known as sumacs. A genus of 250 species occurring in the warm temperate and subtropical regions of both the hemispheres. Represented in Pakistan by 7 species, 4 of which are native .
ID Features: Trifoliate leaves. Yellow, pubescent buds. Buds are covered by leaf scar.
Flowers: Dioecious. Yellow flowers. Blooms in late March. 1" long catkins (male). Short, terminal panicles (female). • Bloom Period: Mid Spring • Flower Color: chartreuse, pale yellow, yellow, yellow-green • Flower Conspicuous: No
Seeds: Seed per Pound: 49000 • Seed Spread Rate: Slow • Seedling Vigor: Low • Fruit: Hairy , red drupe. Female plants only. Matures in August. Persists. Borne in terminal panicles. • Fruit/Seed Abundance: Medium • Fruit/Seed Color: Red • Fruit/Seed Conspicuous: Yes • Cold Stratification Required: Yes
Foliage: Foliage Color: Green • Summer foliage: Alternate leaf arrangement . Trifoliate , deciduous leaves. Ovate leaf shape. Coarsely toothed . 3" to 5" long. Pubescent . Underside. Glossy dark green. • Fall foliage: Orange to reddish-purple fall color. Showy. • Foliage Porosity Summer: Moderate • Foliage Porosity Winter: Porous • Foliage Texture: Coarse • Fall Conspicuous: Yes • Leaf Retention: No
Active Growth Period: Spring and Summer • Growth Rate: Slow. • Mature Height (feet): 5.0 • Maximum Height at 20 Years (feet): 5 • Size: to 6'. • Vegetative Spread Rate: None • Lifespan: Lifespan
Hardy to zone 3.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,647 meters (0 to 8,684 feet).
Duration: Perennial • Coppice Potential: Yes • Progagated by Bulbs: No • Propagated by Bare Root: Yes • Propagated by Container: Yes • Propagated by Corms: No • Propagated by Cuttings: No • Propagated by Seed: Yes • Propagated by Sod: No • Propagated by Sprigs: No • Propagated by Tubers: No • Fruit/Seed Period Begin: Summer • Fruit/Seed Period End: Fall • Fruit/Seed Persistence: Yes
Culture: Transplant from containers . Full sun to mostly shade. Prefers acidic, well-drained soil. Soil adaptable. Suckers .
Soil: Adapted to Medium Textured: Adapted to Medium Textured Soils • Adapted to Coarse Textured Soils: Yes • Anaerobic Tolerance: None • Salinity Tolerance: Low • CaCO3 Tolerance: Medium • Minimum pH: 5.0 • Maximum pH: 8.0 • Fertility Requirement: Low
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade. • Shade Tolerance: Intolerant
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High • Minimum Precipitation: 16 • Maximum Precipitation: 55 • Moisture Use: Low
Temperature: Minimum Temperature (F): -13°F. • Minimum Frost Free Days: 170 • Cold Hardiness: 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : Ait. Publication : Hortus Kew. (W. Aiton) 1: 367 1789
Notice that the middle leaflet does not have the long, reddish petiole (stem) that Poison Ivy has.
Members of the genus Rhus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 46 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
R. aromatica (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica var. arenaria (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica var. aromatica (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica var. serotina (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica 'Gro-low' (Gro-Low Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica 'Grow-Low' (Fragrant Sumac) · R. aromatica 'Konza' (Konza Fragrant Sumac) · R. ashei (Ash's Sumac) · R. chinensis (Chinese Sumac) · R. copallina (Dwarf Sumac) · R. copallina copallina (Mountain Sumach) · R. copallina leucantha (Southern Sumac) · R. copallinum (Flameleaf Sumac) · R. copallinum var. copallinum (Flameleaf Sumac) · R. copallinum var. latifolia (Winged Sumac) · R. copallinum var. leucantha (Winged Sumac) · R. coriaria (Elm-Leaved Sumac) · R. crenata (Dune Crowberry) · R. glabra (Smooth Sumac) · R. glabra 'Laciniata' (Cutleaf Staghorn Sumac) · R. glauca (Gray-Green Taaibos) · R. hirta (Staghorn Sumac) · R. integrifolia (Lemonade Berry) · R. kearneyi (Desert Sumac) · R. lancea (African Sumac) · R. lanceolata (Prairie Sumac) · R. lentii (Pink Flowering Sumac) · R. michauxii (False Poison Sumac) · R. microphylla (Littleleaf Sumac) · R. ovata (Chapparal Sumac) · R. pendulina (River Karee) · R. pulvinata (Pulvinate Sumac) · R. sandwicensis (Neleau) · R. trichocarpa (Japanese Sumac) · R. trilobata (Aromatic Sumac) · R. trilobata var. anisophylla (Smoothleaf Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. pilosissima (Fragrant Sumacpubescent Skunkbush Sumac) · R. trilobata var. quinata (Grand Canyon Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. racemulosa (Summer Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. simplicifolia (Single-Leaf Skunkbush) · R. trilobata var. trilobata (Ill-Scented Sumac) · R. typhina 'Tiger Eyes' (Staghorn Sumac) · R. virens (Evergreen Sumac) · R. virens choriophylla var. choriophylla (Evergreen Sumac) · R. virens var. choriophylla (Evergreen Sumac) · R. virens var. virens (Evergreen Sumac)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A flora of the state of New-York: comprising full descriptions of all the indigenous and naturalized plants hitherto discovered in the state: with remarks on their economical and medicinal properties / by John Torrey. Albany: Carroll and Cook, printers to the Assembly, 1843. url p. 131.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 290, p. 600.
- A partial list of plants available for various uses in general landscape planting, comp. by Albert D. Taylor. Cleveland, A.D. Taylor, c1916 url p. 14, p. 14, p. 18, p. 22, p. 22, p. 24, p. 24, p. 29, p. 29, p. 41, p. 41.
- A plea for hardy plants, with suggestions for effective arrangement, New York, Doubleday, Page & Company1902. url , p. 39.
- A popular California flora, or Manual of botany for beginners. Containing descriptions of exogenous plants growing in central California, and westward to the ocean. By Volney Rattan. San Francisco, A. L. Bancroft and Company, 1879. url p. 38.
- A popular California flora, or, Manual of botany for beginners. Containing descriptions of flowering plants growing in central California, and westward to the ocean, with illustrated introductory lessons. By Volney Rattan... San Francisco, A.L. Bancroft and company, 1880. url p. 38.
- A popular California flora: or, Manual of botany for beginners with illustrated introductory lessons, especially adapted to the Pacific Coast; to which is added an analytical key to west coast botany, containing brief descripti by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1896. url p. 39.
- A popular California flora: or, manual of botany for beginners. ..: to which is added an analytical key to West Coast botany. .. / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Bancroft, 1888. url p. 39.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 319.
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 37.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 193, p. 22.
- Agronomy; a course in practical gardening for high schools, by Willard Nelson Clute. .. Boston, Ginn and Company, [c1913] url p. 288.
- American bee journal. Hamilton, Ill., etc., Dadant & Sons url p. 360.
- American medicinal plants; an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry and physiological effects. By Charles F. Millspaugh. 1887 New York, Boericke & Tafel, c1887. url page 39- 1, p. 60, p. xii.
- American medicinal plants;: an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry, and physiological effects. / By Charles F. Millspaugh, . ..; Illustrated by the author. New York; Boericke & Tafel., c1887. url , , .
- American plants. .. [Descriptions, bibliographical notes, synonymy, and other information, comp. from many sources] Charles Russell Orcutt, editor. San Diego, Calif., -1910. url p. 771.
- American sumac: a valuable tanning material and dyestuff. By F. P. Veitch. .. J. S. Rogers and R. W. Frey. .. Issued July 26, 1918; rev. Nov. 6, 1920. Washington[Govt. print. off.]1920. url .
- An arboreal guide of the wilderness. 1979. url .
- An encyclopaedia of trees and shrubs: being the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum abridged: containing the hardy trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, by J. C. Loudon. London: F. Warne; 1869. url .
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1270, p. 1443.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 51.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 482.
- Andorra hand-book [of trees and shrubs] Philadelphia url p. 90.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 37.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 104, p. 210, p. 672.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 476.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 37.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 5 1894 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 133, p. 201.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 452.
- Annual report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: G.P.O., 1881-1897. url p. 376.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 15, p. 32, p. 97.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 15.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 630.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 60.
- Annual report of the State Horticultural Society of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: The Society, 1894- url .
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 18.
- Annual report upon explorations and surveys in the department of the Missouri / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1878. url p. 1834.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url , p. 307, p. 332, p. 480, p. 480.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 2625.
- Arctic searching expedition: a journal of a boat-voyage through Rupert's Land and the Arctic Sea, in search of the discovery ships under command of Sir John Franklin. With an appendix on the physical geography of North America. By Sir John Richardson. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1851. url p. 288.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 1986-1992 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 20, p. 24.
- Basket-work of the North American aborigines. By Otis T. Mason. url p. 303.
- Beautiful and rare trees & plants. London, C. Scribner's Sons[pref. 1903] url .
- Beautiful home surroundings. Framingham, Mass., Framingham nurseries, c1918 url p. 27, p. 28.
- Biodiversity and representativeness of research natural areas on national wildlife refuges in Montana, designated areas within Benton Lake, Charles M. Russell, Lake Mason, Medicine Lake, and Red Rock final report / submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; prepared by Stephen V. Cooper and Bonnie L. Heidel. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1999 url , , p. 18, p. 19, p. 20, p. 32.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Biological survey of a prairie landscape in Montana's glaciated plains: final report / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program: 2001. url .
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 62.
- Boston journal of natural history. 6 1850 - 18 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 159.
- Botanic contributions relating to the flora of western North America [by] Gray, Engelmann, Torrey [and] Fre?mont. v.p., 1843-53 url p. 159.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 280.
- Botanical and vegetation survey of Carter County, Montana, Bureau of Land Management-administered lands / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst, Stephen V. Cooper, and Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , , p. 101.
- Botanical explorations in southern Texas during the season of 1894. [Lancaster, Pa.]The New Era Printing House, 1895. url p. 61.
- Botany of the northern and middle states, or, A description of the plants found in the United States, north of Virginia arranged according to the natural system, with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnaean system--a sketch of the rudiments of botany, and a glossary of terms / by Lewis C. Beck. Albany: Webster and Skinners, 1833. url p. 75.
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass.Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 110, p. 110.
- Botany. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1871. url , , .
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state, Raleigh, Printed at N. C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1907 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 148, p. 149, p. 940.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 515.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 55.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 630.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 155, p. 73.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 135, p. 216, p. 389, p. 393, p. 432, p. 516, p. 517.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 58.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1910 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 18, p. 19, p. 20, p. 23, p. 24, p. 24, p. 36, p. 37, p. 39.
- Bulletin of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, D.C.: The Society, 1918- url p. 106, p. 107, p. 65.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 169, p. 173, p. 174, p. 175, p. 177, p. 180, p. 185, p. 192, p. 224, p. 224, p. 237, p. 238, p. 238, p. 246, p. 246, p. 246, p. 31, p. 405, p. 405, p. 405, p. 75.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1899 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 227, p. 235, p. 367.
- Bulletin of the Philosophical Society of Washington. 25 1883 Washington, D.C.: Published by the co-operation of the Smithsonian Institution, [1874- url p. 85.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 17 1890 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 13, p. 160, p. 167, p. 66, p. 88.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 3.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 375, p. 60, p. 806.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 25, p. 29, p. 58, p. 68, p. 78.
- California art & nature San Diego url .
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url , , p. 1755, p. 1808, p. 1809, p. 1828, p. 1836, p. 1841.
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url , .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 313.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 313.
- Catalogue of the flora of Vermont, including phaenogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants growing without cultivation. Burlington, [Vt.]Free Press Association, 1888. url p. 18.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 269.
- Catalogue of the phaenogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants of Michigan, indigenous, naturalized, and adventive. By Chas. F. Wheeler and Erwin F. Smith. Lansing, W. S. George, 1881. url p. 7.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 57.
- Children's gardens for school and home: a manual of cooperative gardening / by Louise Klein Miller. New York: Appleton, 1904. url p. 212, p. 212.
- Circle West vegetation monitoring study. Helena, Mont.: Energy Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation, - url p. 21, p. 37.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 219, p. 367.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 452, p. 652.
- Contributions from the Herbarium of Columbia College. New York: Columbia College, 1886-1896. url p. 303.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 1 1890-1895 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 119, p. 199, p. 601.
- Contributions to the fossil flora of the western territories. .. By Leo Lesquereux. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1874-1883. url p. 195.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 626, p. 693.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 626.
- Cyclopedia of practical floriculture, edited by C. H. Turner. New York, T. MacCoun, 1884. url p. 288.
- Ecologically significant wetlands in the Upper Yellowstone River watershed: including the Boulder, Clarks Fork Yellowstone, Shields, and Stillwater River drainages / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2001. url , .
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 244, p. 244.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 15, p. 17, p. 17, p. 23, p. 3, p. 39, p. 47, p. 60, p. 64.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 145.
- Fieldbook of native Illinois shrubs, by Leo R. Tehon. .. Urbana, Natural History Survey Division, 1942. url , p. 153, p. 153, p. 159, p. 159, p. 160, p. 160, p. 297.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 531.
- First[-second] annual report of the Geological and agricultural survey of Texas, Houston, A. C. Gray, state printer, 1874-76. url .
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 400, p. 401.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 45.
- Flora Washingtonensis; a catalogue of the Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta of the state of Washington, n.p., 1892 url .
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 107.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 649, p. 651.
- Flora of Pasadena and vicinity. Los Angeles, Kingsley-Barnes & Neuner Co., printer, 1895." url p. 617.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 202.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 215.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 252.
- Flora of the Miami Valley, Ohio /c by A.P. Morgan. Dayton, Ohio: Literary Union, 1878. url p. 14.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 728, p. 728.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 384.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 429.
- Floral almanac: containing the flowering season of one thousand and seven hundred phaenogamous plants of Florida / by A. Schaffranek. Palatka, Fla.: Palatka News Pub. Co., 1888. url p. 5.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , .
- Food of the woodpeckers of the United States / Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Biological Survey, 1911. url .
- Forestry. London: W. Rider, [1883-1886]. url p. 467.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 129, p. 15, p. 154, p. 160, p. 382, p. 603, p. 620.
- Garden guide, the amateur gardener's handbook; how to plan, plant and maintain the home grounds, the suburban garden, the city lot. How to grow gook vegetables and fruit. How to care for roses and other favorite flowers, hardy plants, trees, shrub ed. by J. Harrison Dick... New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc.1917 url p. 42, p. 45.
- Garden guide, the amateur gardeners' handbook; how to plan, plant and maintain the home grounds, the suburban garden, the city lot. How to grow good vegetables and fruit. How to care for roses and other favorite flowers, hardy plants, trees, shrub New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc.[c1917] url .
- Garden guide; the amateur gardeners' handbook. Profusely illustrated with over 275 teaching plans and diagrams and reproduced photographs, all made expressly for this standard text book. Edited by A. T. De La Mare. New York, A. T. De La Mare[c1920] url , p. 54, p. 59.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 243, p. 323, p. 59.
- General index to the reports and bulletins of the experimental farms of the Dominion of Canada, 1887-1901. Ottawa, Printed by S.E. Dawson, printer to the King's Most excellent Majesty, 1902. url p. 151.
- Geological report of the country along the line of the southwestern branch of the Pacific Railroad, State of Missouri By G.C. Swallow, State Geologist. To which is prefixed a memoir of the Pacific Railroad St. Louis, Printed by G. Knapp, 1859 url p. 82, p. 82.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 46, p. 884, p. 904.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 235.
- Heteroptera, or true bugs of eastern North America, with especial reference to the faunas of Indiana and Florida, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1926. url p. 247, p. 571.
- Hill prairies of Illinois. Urbana, 1955. url p. 432.
- History of Pasadena, comprising an account of the native Indian, Pasadena, Cal., Pasadena history company, 1895. url p. 617.
- Hortus lignosus londinensis: or, A catalogue of all the ligneous plants, indigenous and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, cultivated in the gardens and grounds in the neighbourhood of London: with all their synonymes, scientific and By J. C. Loudon. London, The author, 1838. url p. 130.
- House & garden's book of gardens; containing over four hundred illustrations of special flower types, plans and suggestions for landscape work, a complete gardener's calendar of the year's activities, planting and spraying tables, and New York, C. Nast & Company, 1921. url p. 21.
- How to know wild fruits; a guide to plants when not in flower by means of fruit and leaf; by Mary Elisabeth Herbert. New York, Macmillan, 1914. url , p. 339.
- How to make home and city beautiful, prepared to help those interested in making attractive homes and beautiful cities, Northampton, Mass.[c1911] url .
- How to plan the home grounds, by S. Parsons, jr.... With illustrations drawn by W. E. Spader... New York, Doubleday & McClure co., 1899. url p. 199, p. 199.
- How to plan the home grounds; New York:Doubleday & McClure Co., 1899. url .
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 294.
- IV, p.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 170.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 155, p. 183.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 49.
- Illinois wild flowers, by John Voss and Virginia S. Eifert. Springfield,  url p. 4.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url , p. 73.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 1 1834 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 202.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 18 1998 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 258, p. 259, p. 309, p. 311, p. 323.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 158, p. 73.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy url p. 165, p. 41, p. 50.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 5 1904 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 143, p. 228, p. 43, p. 68.
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 20, p. 22, p. 25.
- Landscape gardening. New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's sons, 1891. url p. 29.
- Landscaping your home / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1975. url p. 239.
- Landscaping your home / William R. Nelson, Jr. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1975. url p. 239.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 216.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 227.
- Lund easement baseline biological inventory / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2001 url , .
- Making the grounds attractive with shrubbery, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1912. url p. 40.
- Manual of the flora of Jackson County, Missouri. Assisted by B.F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., 1902. url p. 126.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 601.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 165, p. 39, p. 67.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 429.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 216, p. 37, p. 44.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url , p. 15, p. 15, p. 32, p. 32, p. 97.
- Minimum areas for different vegetations, their determination from species-area curves. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1949. url p. 72.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1964 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 29, p. 48.
- Montana's comprehensive fish and wildlife conservation strategy / Helena, Mont.: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, 2005 url , .
- Morphological studies of the genus Cercospora, Urbana, Ill., 1930 url p. 49.
- Mule deer in the Missouri River Breaks, Montana: a study of population dynamics in a fluctuating environment / Kenneth L. Hamlin, Richard J. Mackie. [Helena?]: Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url p. 367, p. 54, p. 55.
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 348.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , , , p. 228, p. 229, p. 230, p. 258.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 131, p. 131.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 206.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 408.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 23.
- Odorographia: a natural history of raw materials and drugs used in the perfume industry: intended to serve growers, manufacturers and consumers / by J. Ch. Sawer. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1892-1894. url p. 48.
- Ornamental shrubs for garden, lawn, and park planting, with an account of the origin, capabilities, and adaptations of the numerous species and varieties, native and foreign, and especially of London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1899. url .
- Our country home; how we transformed a Wisconsin woodland, by Frances Kinsley Hutchinson; with nearly two hundred illustrations from photographs by the author. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & co., 1907. url p. 145.
- Our northern shrubs and how to identify them: a handbook for the nature-lover / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1922, c1903. url , , .
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 32.
- Parks: a manual of municipal and county parks compiled as a result of a nation-wide study of municipal and county parks conducted by the Playground and Recreation Association of America, in co-operation with edited by L.H. Weir. New York: A.S. Barnes & Co., 1928. url p. 681, p. 682, p. 683, p. 684, p. 685, p. 686, p. 687, p. 688, p. 689, p. 690, p. 692.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 322.
- Pharmaceutical botany, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1914] url .
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 375.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 110, p. 127, p. 129, p. 132, p. 330, p. 394, p. 396, p. 398, p. 399, p. 400, p. 426, p. 488, p. 8, p. 88.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 57, p. 601.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 57, p. 601, p. 85.
- Plant species of concern and plant associations of Powder River county, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2002. url , , .
- Plant species of special concern and plant associations of Sheridan County, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2000. url .
- Plant succession; an analysis of the development of vegetation, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1916. url .
- Plantae Lindheimerianae: an enumeration of F. Lindheimer's collection of Texan plants, with remarks and descriptions of new species, etc. / by George Engelmann and Asa Gray. Boston: Printed by Freeman and Bolles, 1845- url p. 159.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 189.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 274, p.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 151.
- Practical botany, structural and systematic, the latter portion being an analytical key to the wild flowering plants, trees, shrubs, ordinary herbs, sedges and grasses of the northern and middle United States east of t New York, H. Holt and Company, 1876. url .
- Practical forestry. A treatise on the propagation, planting, and cultivation, with a description, and the botanical and popular names of all the indigenous trees of the United States. By Andrew S. Fuller. New York: Orange Judd company,  url p. 297.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 213.
- Preliminary report of explorations in Nebraska and Dakota, in the years 1855-'56-'57, by Lieut. G.K. Warren, Topographical Engineers. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1875. url p. 112.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , , , , p. 27, p. 439, p. 630, p. 79, p. 82.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 1011, p. 200, p. 200, p. 68, p. 68.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, The Academy. url p. 280, p. 366.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 101, p. 102, p. 105, p. 227, p. 442, p. 99.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 110, p. 137, p. 296.
- Proceedings of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 1990 [San Diego, Calif.]: San Diego Society of Natural History, 1990- url p. 1.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 267, p. 510, p. 720.
- Proceedings. Toronto. url p. 29.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 215.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, Office of the Regents, 1871-1888 url p. 18, p. 30, p. 30.
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 322.
- Report of the Missouri State Horticultural Society for the year. .. Jefferson City: The Society, url p. 266.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url .
- Report of the United States Geological Survey of the territories. F.V. Hayden, United States geologist in charge. .. [Final reports or monographs. vol. I]-III, V-XIII. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1873-90. url , p. 21.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url , , p. 322, p. 521, p. 53.
- Report on the botany of Barren and Edmonson counties. Frankfort, 1876 url .
- Report upon United States Geographical surveys west of the one hundredth meridian, Washington, Govt. print. off., 1875-89. url , .
- Report upon forestry. From the committee appointed to memorialize Congress and the state legislatures, regarding the cultivation of timber and the preservation of forests, prepared under the direction of the Commissioner of Agriculture in pursuance of an Act of Congress approved August l5, 1876, by Franklin B. Hough. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1878. url p. 415, p. 581.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 41, p. 41.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 151, p. 376, p. 438.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 243.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 345, p. 473.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 460, p. 625.
- Sensitive plant species survey, Ashland District, Custer National Forest, Powder River and Rosebud Counties, Montana / by Bonnie L. Heidel and Hollis Marriott; for Custer National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , .
- Sharp eyes; a rambler's calendar of fifty-two weeks among insects, birds, and flowers; by Wm. Hamilton Gibson. .. Illustrated by the author. New York [etc.]Harper & Brothers[c1919] url p. 321.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 728.
- Some plant galls of Illinois / by Glen S. Winterringer. Springfield, Ill.: Dept. of Registration and Education, 1961. url p. 37, p. 51.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 109, p. 15.
- Studies of the vegetation of Missouri. .. / By Julian A. Steyermark. 9 1940 [Chicago, 1940- url p. 370, p. 388, p. 393, p. 398, p. 432, p. 440, p. 441, p. 447, p. 449, p. 456, p. 458, p. 459, p. 460, p. 461, p. 462, p. 465, p. 469, p. 471.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 493.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 51, p. 54, p. 8, p. 8, p. 9, p. 9.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 386.
- The "Illinois way" of beautifying the farm / by Wilhelm Miller. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1914. url p. 29.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 101.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 172, p. 567, p. 684, p. 748, p. 942.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 106.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 526.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 69 1955 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url fig. 1 , p. 103, p. 150, p. 152, p. 153, p. 170, p. 178, p. 24, p. 245, p. 261, p. 288, p. 289, p. 306, p. 340, p. 342, p. 343, p. 406, p. 41, p. 412, p. 43, p. 442, p. 45, p. 478, p. 480, p. 508, p. 540, p. 562, p. 573, p. 575, p. 582, p. 63, p. 64, p. 749, p. 80, p. 84.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 351.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 414.
- The Cicadellidæ of Kansas / by P. B. Lawson. Lawrence, Kansas: University of Kansas, 1920. url p. 71.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , , p. 1007, p. 1061, p. 1109, p. 1295, p. 1551, p. 1585, p. 1663, p. 1725, p. 197, p. 270, p. 283, p. 479, p. 539, p. 590, p. 621, p. 666, p. 671, p. 675, p. 823, p. 834, p. 843.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 103, p. 151, p. 273, p. 349, p. 504, p. 505, p. 56, p. 79.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 167, p. 249, p. 249, p. 389, p. 85.
- The Great Basin naturalist. Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 254, fig. 18, page 26, anderson, page 351, p. 60.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 192.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 300.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 30 1895 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 483, p. 555.
- The Literary record and journal of the Linnaean Association of Pennsylvania College. [Gettysburg, Pa.: The Association, 1844- url p. 61.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 189, p. 207, p. 227, p. 299, p. 302, p. 315, p. 317, p. 320, p. 321, p. 323, p. 386, p. 471, p. 76.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 137, p. 137.
- The Tennessee flora; with special reference to the flora of Nashville. Phaenogams and vascular cryptogams, by August Gattinger. Nashville, Tenn.The author, 1887. url p. 14.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 34 1952 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1024, p. 104, p. 1066, p. 393, p. 539, p. 541, p. 565, p. 71, p. 71.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 170, p. 42, p. 51.
- The art of landscape architecture, its development and its application to modern landscape gardening, London, G.P. Putnam's sons, 1915. url .
- The blossom circle of the year in southern gardens, New York, N.Y., A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 155, p. 200.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 125, p. 131, p. 133, p. 139.
- The flora of Franklin County [Indiana]. Richmond, 1885-1886 url p. 19.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 114, p. 23.
- The flora of the metamorphic region of Alabama / by F.S. Earle. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1902. url p. 88.
- The floral kingdom: its history, sentiment and poetry: A dictionary of more than three hundred plants, with the genera and families to which they belong, and the language of each illustrated with appropriate gems to poe Chicago: M. Warren, 1877, c1876. url .
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 300.
- The landscape gardening book, wherein are set down the simple laws of beauty and utility which should guide the development of all grounds, by Grace Tabor. New York, R. M. McBride, 1916. url p. 117, p. 16.
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url .
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 258, p. 452, p. 527.
- The reflector: a brief resume of facts condensed for ready reference embracing cookery, household economy, poultry, stock and farm; together with diseases of man, beast and fowl and history cause, symptoms and ratio by W.S. Hames. Oklahoma City: Printers Publishing Co., c1912 url p. 261.
- The silva of North America a description of the tree which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico / by Charles Sprague Sargent; illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. Boston;Houghton, Mifflin, 1902 url .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 3 1892 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 10, p. 140, p. 143.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2693.
- The vegetation of a desert mountain range as conditioned by climatic factors. Washington, Carnegie Inst., 1915. url p. 43.
- Timber and botany. comprising seven reports on the forests and botany of different parts of the state / Geological Survey of Kentucky. [S.l.]: The Survey, 1884. url p. 47.
- Torrey, J. & A. Gray A flora of North America: containing abridged descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing north of Mexico, arranged according to the natural system /by John Torrey and Asa Gray. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1838-. url p. 219.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 189.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 73.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , , p. 7.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url .
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 415.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 64.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 324, p. 76.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 102, p. 103, p. 136, p. 139, p. 140, p. 160, p. 238, p. 36, p. 64, p. 76.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 164, p. 76.
- Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York: New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 220, p. 65.
- Tree and shrub hosts of Verticillium albo-atrum [by] E. B. Himelick. Urbana, Natural History Survey Division, 1969. url p. 5.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 726.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 726.
- Trees and shrubs; an abridgment of the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum: containing the hardy trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture LondonF. Warne1875 url .
- Trees for Long Island. [S.l.:s.n.], 1908. url p. 22, p. 65.
- Trees, fruits, and flowers of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Minnesota State Horticultural Society, 1899-1920. url p. 69.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 287.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 8 1956 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 551, p. 578.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 14, p. 7.
- Watson, S. Botany /by Sereno Watson, aided by Daniel C. Eaton, and others. 5 1871 Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1871. url p. 521, p.
- Wildfire succession in plant communities natural to the Alkali Creek vicinity, Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2001. url , , .
- Woodhawk botanical survey, Fergus County, Montana, Lewistown District of the Bureau of Land Management / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1997. url p. 24.
- Woody plants in winter; a manual of common trees and shrubs in winter in the Northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, by Earl L. Core and Nelle P. Ammons. Pittsburgh, Boxwood Press url p. 132, p. 133.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 103, p. 110, p. 169, p. 357, p. 357.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed October 13, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- Light, Kris. East Tennessee Wildflowers
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 24, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- US National Plant Germplasm System, United States National Plant Germplasm System Collection
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Utah State University, USU-UTC Specimen Database
- Utah Valley State College
- , Utah Valley State College Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2652270
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-28779
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13743135
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:70405-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 101780
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 28779
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 70405-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: RHTRS2 RHT
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 11781
- Yashin J. Nasir "Rhus". in Flora of Pakistan Page 4.. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 511.380 meters (1,677.756 feet), Standard Deviation = 522.580 based on 996 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]