Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Amargo, Bitter Ash, Bitterwood, Quassia, Quassia Wood, Quassia-Wood, Surinam Quassia
Common Names in French:
Quassia De Surinam, Quinine De Cayenne, Quinine Du Pays
Common Names in German:
Bitterholzbaum, Bitterquassia, Quassiaholzbaum, Quassie
Common Names in Informal Latinized N:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Pau-Amarelo, Pau-Quássia, Portuguese, Quássia-De-Caiena, Quina, Quinarana
Common Names in Spanish:
Crucete, Cuasia Amarga
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Habit: Tree , Shrub
Flowers: Flower Color: dark red, scarlet
Culture: Space over 40' apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
: L. Publication
Pl., ed. 2. 1: 553 1762 [Sep
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Quassia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 113, p. 238.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 342.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 552.
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 216.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url p. 327, p. 329.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 811.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 438.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 438.
- A manual of Indian timbers: an account of the structure, growth, distribution, and qualities of Indian woods. CalcuttaOffice of the Superintendent of Govt. Printing1881 url p. 63.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 132, p. 789.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 505.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 391.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 498.
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 430.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 272, p. 273.
- A text book of materia medica, being an account of the more important crude drugs of vegetable and animal origin, designed for students of pharmacy and medicine. London, Churchill, 1920. url p. 226, p. 563.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url , .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 309, p. 544.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 614, p. 718.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 427, p. 428.
- American forestry. Washington, D.C.: American Forestry Association, 1910-1923. url p. 652, p. 653.
- American forests. Washington [etc.]American Forestry Association [etc.] url p. 652, p. 653.
- An analytical compendium of the various branches of medical science, for the use and examination of students, by John Neill and Francis Gurney Smith. Philadelphia, Lea and Blanchard, 1848. url p. 46.
- An anatomical atlas of vegetable powders. London, Churchill, 1904. url p. 174.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 242.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 931.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 346.
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 244, p. 504, p. 546.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1227, p. 443.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 52.
- An introduction to pharmacognosy / by Smith Ely Jelliffe. London: W. B. Saunders and Company, 1905. url p. 149.
- An introduction to the study of botany, including a treatise on vegetable physiology, and descriptions of the most common plants in the middle and northern states. By J.L. Comstock. .. New York, Pratt, Woodford, Farmer & Brace, 1856 [c1854] url p. 148.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url , p. 191, p. 231.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 586.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 586, p. 586.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 410.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url p. 346.
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1885. url .
- Botany for ladies; or, A popular introduction to the natural system of plants, according to the classification of De Candolle. By Mrs. Loudon. London, J. Murray, 1842. url p. 342.
- Botany of the Bermudas / by H.B. Small. Hamilton, Bermuda: S. Nelmes, 1913. url p. 84, p. 85.
- Botany of the Bermudas, Hamilton, BermudaS. Nelmes, 1913. url .
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 540.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 229.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 129, p. 139, p. 38.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 134, p. 329.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1911 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 26.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 366.
- Bulletin of the Department of Agriculture, Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad: Dept. of Agriculture, 1914-1927. url , , p. 11.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 120.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url , p. 2, p. 2, p. 2, p. 21, p. 3, p. 3.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 134, p. 329.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 204, p. 247, p. 269.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , .
- Catalogue of economic plants in the collection of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 127, p. 80.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 127, p. 80.
- Catalogue of the Hanbury Herbarium, in the Museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain / compiled by E.M. Holmes. London: Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 1892. url p. 19.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 20, p. 295.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 521.
- College botany: including organography, vegetable histology, vegetable physiology and vegetable taxonomy: with a brief account of the succession of plants in geologic time, and a glossary of botanical terms / by Edson S. Bastin. Chicago: G.P. Engelhard, 1890, c1889. url p. 142, p. 449.
- Colonial and Indian Exhibition, 1886 official catalogue. London: W. Clowes, 1886. url .
- Commercial botany of the nineteenth century. A record of progress in the utilisation of vegetable products in the United Kingdom, and the introduction of economic plants into the British colonies, during the present century. London [etc.]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1890. url , .
- Contribution [I]-III to the coastal and plain flora of Yucatan, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1895 Chicago, 1895-1898. url p. xv.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 50 2004 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 146, p. 223, p. 227, p. 313, p. 373, p. 425, p. 431, p. 444, p. 541, p. 568, p. 61, p. 78, p. 96.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 14 1980 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 112, p. 121, p. 127, p. 139, p. 14, p. 20, p. 22, p. 657, p. 98.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 38.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 33.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 33.
- Contributions to the flora of Venezuela / Julian A. Steyermark and collaborators. 28 1957 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1957. url p. 1217, p. 935.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 55.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 1 - 107 1883 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url p. 107, p. 128, p. 145, p. 182, p. 30, p. 30, p. 42, p. 53, p. 80.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 59.
- Dictionary of the active principles of plants: alkaloids, bitter principles, glucosides, their sources, nature, and chemical characteristics, with tabular summary, classification of reactions, and full botanical and general indexes / by Charles E. Sohn. London: Baillière, Tindall and Cox, 1894. url p. 177.
- Don, G. A general history of the dichlamydeous plants: comprising complete descriptions of the different orders...the whole arranged according to the natural system /by George Don. 1 1831 London: J.G. and F. Rivington, 1831-1838. url p. 810, p. 811.
- Elements of chemistry including the applications of the science in the arts / by Thomas Graham. London: H. Bailliere, 1842. url p. 902.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url , , p. 446.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1003.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 193, p. 198, p. 199.
- Flora medica; a botanical account of all the more important plants used in medicine in different parts of the world. London, Longman, 1838. url p. 207.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 204, p. 580.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 204, p. 580.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 573.
- Flora of Guatemala: families Leguminosae, Geraniaceae, Oxalidaceae, Tropaeolaceae, Linaceae, Erythroxylaceae, Zygophyllaceae, Rutaceae, Simaroubaceae, Burseraceae, Meliaceae, and Malpighiaceae / by Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1946 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1946. url p. 431.
- Flora of Jamaica, containing descriptions of the flowering plants known from the island, by William Fawcett and Alfred Barton Rendle. London.Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1910- url p. 199, p. 365, p. 365.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1949 Chicago, [Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 692.
- Flora of the Lancetilla Valley, Honduras, by Paul C. Standley. 10 1931 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1931. url p. 238.
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 139, p. 766.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 120.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 6430.
- History of the vegetable drugs of the Pharmacopeia of the United States / Cincinnati, O.: J. U. & C. G. Lloyd, 1911. url p. 66, p. 67.
- Hops, their cultivation, commerce, and uses in various countries. A manual of reference for the grower, dealer, and brewer. London, E. & F. N. Spon, 1877. url p. 125.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 174.
- Illustrations of the natural orders of plants with groups and descriptions. Reduced from the original folio ed. 1 1868 London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1868. url explanation of plate 45.
- Index of plants. 1912. Singapore, Printed at the Methodist Publishing House, 1912. url , .
- Introduction to structural and systematic botany and vegetable physiology: being a fifth and revised edition of The botanical text-book / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, 1877. url p. 405.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 165.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 497, p. 498, p. 499.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 4 1842 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 204.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 17 1997 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 210.
- Journal of forestry. Washington: Society of American Foresters, 1917- url p. 80.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 21 1920 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 115, p. 239, p. 58.
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 2 1818 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url , .
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1063.
- Loudon, J. C. Loudon's Hortus britannicus.A catalogue of all the plants indigenous, cultivated in, or introduced to Britain. Part I. The Linnaean arrangement... Part II. The Jussieuean arrangement... /Edited by J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1830. url p. 507.
- Medicinal plants. Being descriptions with original figures of the principal plants employed in medicine and an account of the characters, properties, and uses of their parts and products of medicinal value. By Robert Bentley and Henry Trimen. Plates by David Blair. In four volumes. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1880. url .
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 56.
- Memoir of the late William Wright, M. D. with extracts from his correspondence, and a selection of his papers on medical and botanical subjects. Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1828. url p. 229, p. 381, p. 90.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 59.
- Memoirs of the Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society. London: The Society, 1882-1887. url p. 539, p. 546.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 198.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 43, p. 588.
- North American trees: being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies / New York: H. Holt and Co., 1908. url .
- North American trees; being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies; with the assistance of John Adolph Shafer. New YorkHolt1908 url p. 583, p. 892.
- Official guide to the museums of economic botany. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1907 url p. 37.
- On the vegetation of the Bermudas by J. Matthew Jones. S.l.: s.n., 1874? url .
- Origin and history of all the pharmacopeial vegetable drugs, chemicals and preparations with bibliography... Prepared under the auspices of and pub. by the American drug manufacturers' association, Washington, D.C. Cincinnati: The Caxton press, [c1921] url p. 259, p. 260, p. 261.
- Pamphlets on forestry in the Philippine Islands. [1900?- url p. 13.
- Pharmaceutical botany, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1914] url , .
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 351.
- Pharmacographia: a history of the principal drugs of vegetable origin met with in Great Britain and British India / by Friedrich A. Flückiger and Daniel Hanbury. London: Macmillan, 1879. url p. 131, p. 132, p. 795.
- Pharmazeutische Waarenkunde, von Dr. Otto Berg. Berlin, R. Gaertner, 1863. url p. 143, p. 206.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 167.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 397.
- Plants in Danger: what do we know? IUCN url p. 340.
- Pollen / by M. Pakenham Edgeworth. London: Hardwicke & Bogue, 1877. url p. 57, p. 57.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 231, p.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 250.
- Report of the Commissioner of Patents for the year 1855. Washington [D.C.]:C. Wendell, 1856. url , p. 485.
- Report on Global Status of Biodiversity in the Drylands. For the UN Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee for a Convention to Combat Desertification UN Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee url p. 5, p. 7.
- Report on the progress and condition of the United States National Museum. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1907-1951. url p. 75.
- Science papers, chiefly pharmacological and botanical. By Daniel Hanbury. .. Ed., with memoir, by Joseph Ince. .. London, Macmillan, 1876. url p. 497.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 376, p. 377.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 472, p. 67, p. 95.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 129, p. 19, p. 250, p. 38, p. 517.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 654.
- Suggestions received by the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India for extending the cultivation and introduction of useful and ornamental plants: with a view to the improvement of the agricultural and commercial resources of India / compiled by Henry Harpur Spry. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1841. url p. 204, p. 25.
- The American quarterly journal of agriculture and science. [S.l.: s.n.], 1845-1846 url p. 226.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 200, p. 200, p. 425, p. 425, p. 427, p. 427, p. 427.
- The Bermuda islands: an account of their scenery, climate, productions, physiography, natural history and geology, with sketches of their discovery and early history, and the changes in their flora and fauna due to man; with 38 plates and over 250 cuts in the text / by Addison E. Verrill. New Haven, Conn.: The author, 1902. url p. 533.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 129, p. 224, p. 23, p. 415, p. 508, p. 527, p. 552.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 180, p. 335.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 600.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 123, p. 2, p. 34, p. 50, p. 92.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 190.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1864 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 414, p. 458.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 132, p. 14, p. 233, p. 400, p. 586, p. 602.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 262.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 213, p. 321, p. 481.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 360.
- The London and Edinburgh philosophical magazine and journal of science. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1832-1840. url p. 222, p. 336.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 5 1846 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 562.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 454, p. 85.
- The Philippine journal of science. 11 1916 Manila. url p. 278, p. 332.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 683.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 255, p. 541, p. 719, p. 730.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 402.
- The botanists of Philadelphia and their work. Philadelphia[T.C. Davis]1899 url p. 207, p. 452.
- The botany of the voyage of H. M. S. Sulphur, under the command of Captain Sir Edward Belcher, during the years 1836-42. Published under the authority of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty /Edited and superintended by Richard Brinsley Hinds, attached to the expedition. The botanical descriptions by George Bentham. 1844 London: Smith, Elder, 1844- url p. 193.
- The commercial products of the vegetable kingdom, considered in their various uses to man and in their relation to the arts and manufactures; forming a practical treatise and handbook of reference for the colonist, manufacturer, merchant, and consume London, Day, 1854. url p. 643.
- The conservation and sustainable use of the crop genetic resources of Central America. A Darwin initiative funded project. Report on phase 1 WCMC url p. 37.
- The cottage gardeners' dictionary. Describing the plants, fruits, and vegetables desirable for the garden, and explaining the terms and operations employed in their cultivation. Ed. by George W. Johnson. London, W. S. Orr, 1852. url p. 417.
- The flora of Barro Colorado Island, Panama, by Paul C. Standley. City of Washington, The Smithsonian Institution, 1927. url p. 21.
- The flora of Jamaica; a description of the plants of that island, arranged according to the natural orders. With and appendix, containing an enumeration of the genera according to the Linnaean system, and an essay on the geographical destribution of the species. By James Macfadyen, M. D. Vo. I. Ranunculac London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman; [etc., etc.]1837. url p. 197, p. 197.
- The flora of St. Croix and the Virgin Islands, by Baron H.F.A. Eggers. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 129, p. 38.
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 59.
- The flowering plants of Western India. London, W. H. Allen url p. 50.
- The forests and flora of British Honduras / by Paul C. Standley and Samuel J. Record; in cooperation with the Conservator of Forests and the Agricultural Officer of the Colony. 12 1936 Chicago: [Field Museum of Natural History], 1936. url p. 198.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 422, p. 499.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 202, p. 363.
- The microanalysis of powdered vegetable drugs, by Albert Schneider. .. with 237 illustrations Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1921] url p. 458.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants. By H. Baillon. Tr. by Marcus M. Hartog. London, L. Reeve & co., 1871-88. url p. 269, p. 411, p. 77.
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 269, p. 411, p. 413, p. 447, p. 77.
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 778, p. 970.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 182, p. 255.
- The popular encyclopedia; being a general dictionary of arts, sciences, literature, biography, history, and political economy, reprinted from the American edition of the "Conversations lexicon". .. with dissertations on the ri by Sir D.K. Sandford, on the progress of science, by Thomas Thomson, and on the progress of the fine arts, by Allan Cunningham. Glasgow, Blackie[n.d.] url p. 775.
- The practical American gardener; Baltimore, F. Lucas, jr., 1819. url p. 395.
- The principles of botany, structural, functional and systematic, condensed and immediately adapted to the use of students of medicine. London, Hightley, 1840. url p. 179.
- The proteomorphic theory and the new medicine: an introduction to proteal therapy / by Henry Smith Williams. New York: Goodhue Co., 1918. url p. 111.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 45.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 239, p. 758.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 198, p. 84.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 476, p. 826.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 826.
- The world's commercial products; a descriptive account of the economic plants of the world and of their commercial uses by W. G. Freeman and S. E. Chandler. .. with contributions by T. A. Henry, C. E. Jones, and E. H. Wilson. London, Sir I. Pitman and sons, limited1907. url p. 341.
- Timehri. Demerara: "Argosy" url p. 318.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 26, p. 98.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 644, p. 644, p. 644, p. 945, p. 945, p. 945.
- Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York: New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 16.
- Transactions of the Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: The Society, -1887. url p. 439.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 541.
- Trinidad, its geography, natural resources, administration, present condition, and prospects. London, Cassell, 1884. url p. 81.
- Trinidad: its geography, natural resources, administration, present condition, and prospects. By L. A. A. De Verteuil. London, Ward and Lock, 1858. url p. 110.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 226.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 1022, p. 321, p. 423, p. 656, p. 760, p. 837.
- Veterinary materia medica and therapeutics / Chicago: American Veterinary Pub. Co., c1919. url .
- W. Curtis (ed.) The Botanical magazine, or, Flower-garden displayed. .. /by William Curtis. 14 1800 [S.l.: s.n.], 1790-1800; url .
- Wöhler's Outlines of organic chemistry By Rudolph Fittig. .. Tr. from the 8th German ed. with additions, by Ira Remsen Philadelphia, H.C. Lea, 1873 url p. 460, p. 460.
- [Appletons'] annual cyclopaedia and register of important events of the year: 1861-1875. New York, D. Appleton, 1862-76. url p. 381.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 25, 2007:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Andes to Amazon Biodiversity Program
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2652320
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-28841
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13743955
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:814006-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 30632
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 28841
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 814006-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: QUAM
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 59194