, rarely shrubs
, sometimes with swollen stems. Leaves opposite, sometimes alternate on upper part of stem, densely covered with 4-merous mucilaginous
; stipules absent. Flowers zygomorphic, solitary, axillary
, rarely in few-flowered cymes. Pedicel with extrafloral nectaries. Calyx (4 or) 5-parted. Corolla bilabiate or obscurely so; lobes
5, imbricate. Stamens 4 and didynamous
, sometime 2; staminodes usually 1; anthers
2-locular, dehiscing longitudinally. Disc fleshy
. Ovary superior or rarely inferior, 2- or 4-locular; placentation axile
; ovules 2 to numerous
. Style filiform
; stigma 2-lobed. Fruit dehiscent
or indehiscent, winged
or usually with horns or hooks. Seeds 1 to many in each locule.
About 13 or 14 genera and 62-85 species: primarily tropical and subtropical parts of the Old World, especially Africa; two genera and two species in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
An accepted name in the RHS Horticultural Database.
Members of the genus Pterodiscus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url , p. 532.
- A dictionary of modern gardening / by George William Johnson. .. with one hundred and eighty wood cuts. Edited, with numerous additions, by David Landreth. Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url p. 488.
- A dictionary of modern gardening. Philadelphia, Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url p. 488.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 547.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url p. 609.
- A record of plants collected in Southern Rhodesia; arramged on Engler's system. Compiled by Fred. Eyles. Cape Town, 1916 url p. 477, p. 555.
- An index to the scientific contents of the Journal and Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia [1817-1910] Published in commemoration of the centenary of the academy, March 21, PhiladelphiaAcademy of Natural Sciences url p. 1045, p. 1406, p. 215, p. 527.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1907 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 100.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 155 1996 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 188, p. 199.
- Cassell's dictionary of practical gardening; an illustrated encyclopædia of practical horticulture for all classes; ed. by Walter P. Wright. London, Cassell and company, limited, 1902. url p. 246.
- Catalogue and bibliography of the fresh water fishes of the Americas south of the Tropic of Cancer / by Carl H. Eigenmann. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New Era Printing Co., 1910. url p. 439.
- Catalogue of the African plants London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url .
- Catalogue of the African plants collected by Dr. Friedrich Welwitsch in 1853-61. .. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url p. 1035, p. 1035, p. 795, p. 795.
- Catalogue of the plants under cultivation in the Government Botanic Garden, Adelaide, South Australia / Adelaide: W.C. Cox, government printer, 1878. url .
- Check list of Hawaiian land and fresh water Mollusca. Honolulu, Hawaii, The Museum, 1928. url p. 76.
- Endodontoid land snails from Pacific Islands (Mollusca: Pulmonata: Sigmurethra). Alan Solem. Chicago: Field museum of Natural History, 1982. url p. 331.
- Fauna hawaiiensis; Cambridge, Eng., The University press, 1913. url p. 272, p. 292.
- Fauna hawaiiensis; being the land-fauna of the Hawaiian islands. by various authors, 1899-1913. Cambridge [Eng.]: The University press, 1913. url , p. 17, p. 292, p. 292.
- Fishes of western South America. I. The intercordilleran and Amazonian lowlands of Peru. II. The high pampas of Peru, Bolivia, and northern Chile. With a revision of the Peruvian Gymnotidae and of the genus Orestias [by] Carl H. Eigenmann. .. [and] William Ray Allen. .. Lexington, Ky., The University of Kentucky, 1942. url p. 267.
- Flora of tropical Africa. London, L. Reeve and co., 1868- url p. 539, p. 541, p. 544, p. 545, p. 546, p. 547, p. 590, p. 591.
- Handbook of systematic malacology / by Johannes Thiele; scientific editors of translation, Rüdiger Bieler and Paula M. Mikkelsen; translator, J.S. Bhatti. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries: National Science Foundation, 1992- url p. 1630.
- Index zoologicus no. II. An alphabetical list of names of genera and subgenera proposed for use in zoology as recorded in the "Zoological record, " vols. 38-47 inclusive (1901-1910) and the zoology volumes of the "Internationa Comp. (for the Zoological society of London) by Charles Owen Waterhouse.. . and ed. by David Sharp.. . London, Printed for the Society, 1912. url p. 257.
- Index zoologicus. An alphabetical list of names of genera and subgenera proposed for use in zoology as recorded in the "Zoological record" 1880-1900, together with other names not included in the "Nomenclator zoologicu Comp. (for the Zoological society of London) by Charles Owen Waterhouse, and ed. by David Sharp. London, Printed for the Society, 1902. url p. 318.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 706, p. 54, p. 706.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 37 1899 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 62.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1412.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species. by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, 1885-1935. url , , , , , , , , , , , p. 118, p. 118, p. 119, p. 119, p. 120, p. 120, p. 121, p. 121, p. 122, p. 122, p. 123, p. 123, p. 123, p. 123, p. 124, p. 124, p. 125, p. 125, p. 126, p. 126, p. 127, p. 127, p. 128, p. 128, p. 129, p. 129, p. 130, p. 130, p. 132, p. 132, p. 137, p. 137, p. 147, p. 147, p. 156, p. 156, p. 16, p. 16, p. 17, p. 17, p. 227, p. 227, p. 283, p. 283, p. 287, p. 287, p. 290, p. 290, p. 291, p. 291, p. 292, p. 292, p. 295, p. 295, p. 298, p. 298, p. 299, p. 299, p. 301, p. 301, p. 302, p. 302, p. 339, p. 339, p. 339, p. 339, p. 339, p. 358, p. 358, p. 36, p. 36, p. 36, p. 376, p. 376, p. 377, p. 377, p. 63, p. 63, p. 64, p. 64, p. 65, p. 65, p. 85, p. 85, p. 85.
- Mollusca, by E.R. Sykes with intercalations on anatomy by Lt.-Col. Godwin-Austen. [CambridgeUniversity Press]1900. url p. 292.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 123, p. 522.
- New names introduced by H. A. Pilsbry in the Mollusca and Crustacea, by William J. Clench and Ruth D. Turner. [Philadelphia]Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1962. url p. 125, p. 149, p. 36.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 387, p. 57.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 12, p. 12.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology. London, U.K.: International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature, c/o Natural History Museum, 2001. url p. 112, p. 67.
- Oliver, D. Flora of tropical Africa /by Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. 4 1905-1906 London: L. Reeve and co., 1868-1999. url p. 539, p. 541, p. 542, p. 543, p. 544, p. 545, p. 546, p. 590, p. 591.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 34.
- Proceedings of the Malacological Society of London. London, Dulau. url p. 127, p. 152.
- Pronunciation of plant names. [New York, Reproduced and printed by National Process Company]1922. url p. 73.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url , p. 439, p. 439, p. 439, p. 758.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 256.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 792, p. 803, p. 919.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 148, p. 149.
- The Conchologist. London: Swan Sonnenschein & Co., 1891-1893. url p. 10.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 13, p. 388.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 267.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 27.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 479.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 125, p. 126, p. 13, p. 13, p. 15, p. 15, p. 256, p. 27, p. 27, p. 274.
- The complete aquarium book; the care and breeding of goldfish and tropical fishes, by William T. Innes. .. New York, Halcyon house[c1936] url p. 291.
- The flowering plants of Africa; an analytical key to the genera of African phanerogams. By Fr. Thonner. London, Dulau & Co., Ltd., 1915. url p. 499, p. 639.
- The genera of South African plants: arranged according to the natural system / by William Henry Harvey. Cape Town: J.C. Juta, 1868. url p. 278, p. 278, p. 481, p. 483.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url , p. 532.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2854.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 670, p. 889.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 670, p. 889.
- Tao Deding. 1990. Pedaliaceae. In: Wang Wentsai, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 69: 63-66.
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4502201