Extinct in the Wild
Common Names in English:
Big-Leaf Scurf Pea, Falls-Of-The-Ohio Scurfpea, Large-Stipule Leather Root, Largestipule Leather-Root
Herbs or undershrubs, punctate
with black, brown or pellucid
. Leaf 1-3 or more foliolate
entire; stipules present. Inflorescence capitate, spicate
, subracemose or fasciculate. Bracts membranous, bracteoles absent. Calyx lobes
or the lower lobes larger. Petals all clawed, keel incurved
. Stamens diadelphous
9+1 or monadelphous
, vexillary stamen free or more or less connate
with others; anthers
or slightly dimorphous. Ovary sessile or stipitate
, 1-ovuled, style incurved, Stigma terminal
. Fruit ovate
, indehiscent, 1-seeded.
A genus with about 130 species, mainly tropical and temperate in distribution, most numerous in S.Africa, locally represented by three species.
Habit: Herb • Climbing: Not Climbing
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Rosanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Orbexilum stipulatum (Torr. & A. Gray)rydb.
Members of the genus Psoralea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 29 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. aculeata (South African Scurfpea) · P. affinis (Blouker) · P. aphylla (Blue Broom) · P. argophylla (Silverleaf Indian Breadroot) · P. canescens (Buckroot) · P. castorea (Beaver Dam Scurfpea) · P. cinerea (Annual Verbine) · P. cuspidata (Large-Bracted Scurf-Pea) · P. cyphocalyx (Turnip-Root Scurf Pea) · P. digitata (Palm-Leaf Scurf Pea) · P. esculenta (Beadroot Scurf-Pea) · P. fleta (Blue Broom) · P. glabra (Blue Butterfly Bush) · P. hypogaea (Indian Breadroot) · P. lanceolata (Dune Scurfpea) · P. latestipulata (Texas Plains Indian Breadroot) · P. linearifolia (Narrowleaf Indian Breadroot) · P. macrophylla (Bigleaf Scurfpea) · P. onobrychis (French Grass) · P. pariensis (Paria Breadroot) · P. pinnata (Blouker) · P. rhombifolia (Gulf Indian Breadroot) · P. rydbergii (Rydberg's Indian Breadroot) · P. scaposa (Small Indian Breadroot) · P. simplex (Simple Scurfpea) · P. stipulata (Big-Leaf Scurf Pea) · P. strobilina (Loma Prieta) · P. subulata (Subterranean Indian Breadroot) · P. tenuiflora (Scrufy Psoralea)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 360, p. 360, p. 364, p. 364.
- Bibliographical index to North American botany; or, Citations of authorities for all the recorded indigenous and naturalized species of the flora of North America, with a chronological arrangement of the synonymy. by Sereno Watson. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1878. url p. 254.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 189.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 189.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 597, p. 598.
- Gray's new manual of botany (7th ed.--illustrated) A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1908] url p. 511.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 511.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 196.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book Co., c1889. url p. 130.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 544.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 196.
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url p. 130.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 15 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 254.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants: together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the Americ by Alphonso Wood. New York: A. S. Barnes, 1877, c1870. url p. 92.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 414.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url , p. 124, p. 126, p. 86, p. 88, p. 89.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin url p. 12.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 155, p. 169, p. 66, p. 88, p. 90.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 13, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal January 29, 2008:
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3882626
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ILD-10385
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:212309-2
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 504050
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDFAB5K050
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ORST
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 399287