, densely tufted
, or laxly tufted with underground rhizomes. Culms
. Leaf blade
flat or rolled. Spike linear
, or ovate
; rachis fragile, readily disarticulating
. Spikelets in groups of 2 or 3, sessile, compressed
, with 1 or 2(or 3) florets
, usually with rudimentary
subulate-setiform, awnlike, inconspicuously 1-veined, not keeled
entire. Lemma lanceolate, broadly rounded
abaxially, not keeled, 5-7-veined, apex acuminate to awned
. Palea equaling or slightly longer
than lemma, 2-keeled. Caryopsis tightly enclosed in lemma and palea at maturity, oblong, apex hairy
. x = 7.
Nine species: steppes and semidesert regions from W Russia and Turkey eastward to Afghanistan and Siberia; cultivated in North America; five species (two endemic) in China.
All species of this genus are good fodder plants.
Elymus Lanuginosus • Elymus lanuginosus Trin. • Hordeum Lanuginosum • Hordeum lanuginosum (Trin.) Schenck
Members of the genus Psathyrostachys
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 567.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed December 06, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- US National Plant Germplasm System, United States National Plant Germplasm System Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5876754
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 16124044
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 2221628