- This short herb may be found along the edges of roads and trails , and it often attracts butterflies.
Common Names in English:
Aleutian Selfheal, Common Selfheal, Cut-Leaf Selfheal, Cutleaf Self-Heal, Cutleaf Selfheal, Heal All, Healall, Self-Heal, Selfheal
, sometimes climbing
shrubs, rarely herbs. Indumentum of simple
, and/or other complex
. Leaves opposite or rarely whorled
, without stipules, simple or 3-foliolate, less often palmately [or pinnately] compound
. Inflorescences terminal
, racemose, cymose
, or thyrses
. Flowers bisexual
or polygamous by abortion
, zygomorphic or rarely actinomorphic
. Calyx persistent
. Corolla 4- or 5- or more lobed
on corolla tube
, alternate with lobes; filaments
, 1- or 2-locular, dehiscing by longitudinal
slits or sometimes a circular pore
. Ovary entire or 4-grooved, 2-8-locular; ovules 1 or 2 per locule, erect
or pendulous. Style terminal, simple, entire or 2-cleft. Fruit a drupe or indehiscent capsule, sometimes breaking up into nutlets
. Seeds (1 or) 2-4, endosperm usually absent, seed coat
thin; embryo straight, as long as seed; radicle short, inferior.
Some 91 genera and ca. 2000 species: primarily tropical and subtropical , 20 genera and 182 species in China.
The classification of Verbenaceae is in a state of flux, especially regarding its relationship to Lamiaceae. There is evidence to suggest a significant division between members of subfamily Verbenoideae, genera 1-5 in this account, and the remaining genera, including genera 6-20, which for convenience are here referred to as subfamily Viticoideae s.l. The latter are more closely allied to each other and to genera traditionally kept within Lamiaceae (including genera 1-8 in this Flora ) . Avicennia is often placed in a family of its own, but its affinities are clearly with Viticoideae, especially genera 17-19 in this account which have traditionally been placed in a separate subfamily, Symphorematoideae.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June. • Flower Color: magenta, near white, white
Size: 12-18" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 10-Jul-1996
Members of the genus Privia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- P'ei Chien & Chen Shou-liang, eds. 1982. Verbenaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 65(1): 1-229.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2654941
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32202
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32381
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PRVUE PRVU
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 447302
- Shou-liang Chen & Michael G. Gilbert "Verbenaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 1. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 196.540 meters (644.816 feet), Standard Deviation = 328.380 based on 12,120 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]