Common Names in English:
Blue Star Creeper, Swamp Isotome
The Campanulaceae are herbs, shrubs , or rarely small trees comprising about 70 genera and 2,000 species usually with milky sap . The leaves are nearly always alternate and simple ; stipules are absent The flowers are bisexual , and actinomorphic in the subfamily Campanuloideae but zygomorphic in the Lobelioideae. The perianth and androecium are usually 5-merous, sometimes 3-10-merous. The calyx and corolla each consist of connate segments. The stamens equal the number of corolla lobes , alternate with them, and are adnate to the extreme base of the corolla or epigynous zone or more commonly arise from the annular epigynous nectary disk; the filaments are distinct and the anthers are introrse and only weakly connivent around the style in the Campanuloideae but in the lobelioideae the introrse anthers and also often the filaments are firmly connate. The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of usually 2 carpels and locules with numerous axile ovules in the subfamily Lobelioideae but usually consists of 3-5 carpels and locules with numerous axile ovules in the subfamily Campanuloideae. The single style commonly has a number of lobes or stigmas equal to the number of carpels. The ovary is nearly always inferior and is generally crowned with an epigynous annular nectary disk. The fruit is usually a capsule or berry. -- Gerald Carr.
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November. • Flower Color: light blue, medium blue, near white, white
Size: under 6" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,397 meters (0 to 4,583 feet).
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
A tentatively accepted name in the RHS Horticultural Database.
Members of the genus Pratia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. angulata (Blue Star Creeper) · P. nummularia (Pratia) · P. pedunculata (Blue Star Creeper) · P. pedunculata 'County Park' (Blue Star Creeper) · P. pedunculata 'Kelsey Blue' (Blue Star Creeper) · P. perpusilla (Pratia) · P. puberula (Matted Pratia) · P. purpurascens (Purplish Pratia) · P. surrepens (Mud Pratia) · P. 'Celestial Spice' (Pratia)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Tasmanian flora. Hobart, Tasmania, J. Vail, Govt. Printer, 1903. url , .
- The rusts of Australia their structure, nature and classification / by D. McAlpine. Melbourne: Robt. S. Brain, government printer1906. url p. 149, p. 440, p. 444.
- The rusts of Australia, their structure, nature, and classification. Melbourne, Brain, 1906. url p. 149, p. 334, p. 338.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9176902
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13674009
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:150291-3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 884773