Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Hornleaf Riverweed, horn leaved riverweed, Threadfoot
Common Names in French:
Podost, Podostémon à Feuilles Cornées, podostémon cératophylle
Common Names in unspecified:
usually flattened, thalloid
. Leaves distichous, scattered
, or imbricate, base
often sheathed, margin
entire or dissected
. Flowers bisexual
, solitary, actinomorphic
or zygomorphic, enclosed or not by a spathella or spathella lacking. Tepals 2-5, free
or ± connate
. Stamens 1-4, hypogynous; filaments
free or partially connate; anthers
2-4-loculed, longitudinally or irregularly dehiscent
. Ovary superior, 2- or 3-loculed; ovules numerous
, placenta central. Styles 2 or 3. Fruit a septicidal
capsule. Seeds numerous, minute, without endosperm.
About 40 genera and 200 species: widespread in tropical regions , a few species in temperate regions : three genera and four species (two endemic) in China.
The plants live attached to submerged rocks or wood in rushing water in rapids or cataracts of streams and rivers . They are easily overlooked, and more field work is needed.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,092 meters (0 to 3,583 feet).
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- C. Martius, 1835
- Family: Podostemaceae () - Richard ex Kunth, in Humboldt et al., 1816, nom. cons. - River-Weed Family
- Order: Malpighiales () - C. Martius, 1835
- Superorder: Rosanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967 - Angiosperms
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Lacis ceratophylla (Michx.) Bong. • Podostemum abrotanoides Nutt.
: Michx. Publication
. Am. ii. 165. t. 44.
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Podostemum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A class-book of botany, designed for colleges, academies, and other seminaries. Illustrated by a flora of northern, middle, and western states; particularly of the United States north of the Capitol, lat. 38 3/4. Claremont, N. H., Manufacturing Co., S. Ide, agent, 1850. url p. 485.
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 332.
- Additions to the flora of Connecticut / E.B. Harger. .. [et al.]. Boston?: New England Botanical Club, 1917? url p. 225.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 205.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 11 - 20 1929 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 23, p. 26, p. 9.
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 114.
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state, by Rev. M. A. Curtis. Raleigh, Printed at N. C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url p. 47.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 60.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 213.
- Classification of wetlands and deepwater habitats of the United States / by Lewis M. Cowardin. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1979. url p. 38, p. 7.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 21 1919 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 171.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 23 2001 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 313.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 190, p. 191.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 36.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 135.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 10, p. 1054.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 208.
- Flora of the Patuxent Research Refuge, Maryland / Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Biological Survey,  url p. 5.
- Gray's new manual of botany (7th ed.--illustrated) A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1908] url p. 441.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 441, p. 441.
- Gray's new manual of botany: a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada / Asa Gray; rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New York: American Book Company, c1908. url p. 441.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 3 1841 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 102.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 121, p. 121, p. 187, p. 187.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 11 2001 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url p. 92.
- Occasional papers / Tulane University, Museum of Natural History. 1994 [Belle Chasse, La.]: The Museum, 1977- url p. 19, p. 23.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 296.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 8.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 384.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 158.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 302.
- Report on the herbaceous flowering plants of Massachusetts, arranged according to the natural orders of Lindley, and illustrated chiefly by popular descriptions of their character, properties, and use Pub. agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the commissioners on the zoological and botanical survey of the state. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, Printers to the University, 1840. url p. 105.
- Reports on the herbaceous plants and on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts: published agreeably to an order of the Legislature by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1840. url p. 105.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , , , p. 10, p. 14, p. 14, p. 25, p. 39, p. 40, p. 42, p. 48, p. 50, p. 61, p. 64, p. 73, p. 77.
- The American botanist and florist, including lessons in the structure, life growth of plants, together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the American uni New York, Barnes[n.d.] url p. 302.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants: together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the Americ by Alphonso Wood. New York: A. S. Barnes, 1877, c1870. url p. 302.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 74.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 513, p. 736.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 199.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 136, p. 136, p. 163, p. 163.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 138, p. 170, p. 77.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 15 1969 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 111.
- Wu Te-lin. 1988. Podostemaceae. In: Kiu Hua-shing & Ling Yeou-ruenn, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 24: 15.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2651030
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-27031
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13744056
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:688492-1
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 27031
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 688492-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: POAB3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 57171
- Huaxing Qiu & C. Thomas Philbrick "Podostemaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 5 Page 190. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 290.090 meters (951.739 feet), Standard Deviation = 227.670 based on 282 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]