Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Hoary Plantain, Lanceleaf Plantain, Plantain
Common Names in German:
, or mostly acaulescent
herbs, sometimes an undershrub. Leaves usually all radical
, sometimes cauline. Flowers hermaphrodite, dimorphic
, polygamous, usually in many-flowered cylindrical spikes, rarely capitate. Calyx lobes
or 2 large and 2 small. Corolla tube
cylindrical, sometimes contracted
at the throat
, usually equalling the calyx, sometimes exserted, lobes 4, equal, patent
. Stamens 4, inserted
at or above the middle
of the corolla tube, often exserted. Ovary 2-locular or 3-4-locular with false free
septa; locules with 1 to many ovules. Capsule membranous, circumscissile. Seeds usually peltate, testa thin, mucilaginous
, albumen fleshy
A cosmopolitan genus, with approximately 270 species, which is represented in Pakistan by nearly 20 species.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June. • Flower Color: mauve , pale pink, rose
Size: 12-18" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,428 meters (0 to 4,685 feet).
Soil: Minimum pH: 7.6 • Maximum pH: 8.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Plantago media var. monnieri (Giraud.) Roug.
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 113 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Plantago
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 58 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. afra (African Plantain) · P. argyraea (Salt-Meadow Plantain) · P. aristata (Bottlebrush Indianwheat) · P. australis (Mexican Plantain) · P. australis subnuda (Mexican Plantain) · P. australis subsp. hirtella (Mexican Indianwheat) · P. bigelovii (Coast Plantain) · P. bigelovii subsp. californica (Coast Plantain) · P. californica californica (Coast Plantain) · P. canescens (Gray Pubescent Plantain) · P. cordata (Heartleaf Plantain) · P. coronopus (Buckhorn Plaintain Plantago Coronopus) · P. debilis (Weak Plantain) · P. depauperata (Goldeye Rockfish) · P. elongata (Longleaf Plantain) · P. elongata subsp. pentasperma (Prairie Plantain) · P. erecta (California Plantain) · P. eriopoda (Alkali Plantain) · P. firma (Chilean Plantain) · P. hawaiensis (Hawai'i Plantain) · P. helleri (Heller's Plantain) · P. heterophylla (Slender Plantain) · P. hookeriana (California Plantain) · P. lanceolata (Buckhorn Plantain) · P. macrocarpa (Seashore Plantain) · P. major (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major pleiosperma (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major var. major (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major var. polysperma (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major 'Atropurpurea' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Giant' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Rosularis' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Rubrifolia' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. maritima (Alkali Plantain) · P. maritima var. californica (California Goose Tongue) · P. maritima var. juncoides (Goose Tongue) · P. media (Hoary Plantain) · P. media stepposa (Hoary Plantain) · P. moorei (Moore's Plantain) · P. ovata (Desert Indianwheat) · P. pachyphylla (Maui Plantain) · P. patagonica (Indian Wheat) · P. princeps (Ale) · P. princeps var. anomala (Ale) · P. princeps var. laxiflora (Ale) · P. princeps var. longibracteata (Ale) · P. princeps var. princeps (Ale) · P. psyllium (Dark Psyllium) · P. pusilla (Dwarf Plantain) · P. rhodosperma (Redseed Indianwheat) · P. rugelii (Black-Seed Plantain) · P. rugelii var. asperula (Blackseed Plantain) · P. rugelii var. rugelii (Blackseed Plantain) · P. sparsiflora (Pineland Plantain) · P. subnuda (Tall Coastal Plantain) · P. tweedyi (Tweedy Plantain) · P. virginica (Hoary Plantain) · P. wrightiana (Wright Plantain)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the years 1596-1599 /edited with notes, references to Gerard's Herball, the addition of modern names, and a life of the author, by Benjamin Daydon Jackson. 1876 London: Privately printed, 1876 url p. 46.
- A compendium of general botany / by Max Westermaier; translated by Albert Schneider. New York: Wiley, 1896. url p. 239.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A compendium of the English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman, 1836. url p. 34.
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 84.
- A complete guide to the English lakes, London, J. Garnett;186-?] url .
- A contribution to our knowledge of seedlings; by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, & co., ltd., 1892. url p. 391, p. 393, p. 394, p. 395, p. 396, p. 66, p. 67.
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 100.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 110.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 109, p. 46.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 519.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 196.
- A flora of Manila / Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1912, 1974 printing. url .
- A flora of Manila, by E. D. Merrill. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1912. url p. 444.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 175.
- A flora of the islands of Jersey, with a list of the plants of the Channel Islands in general, and remarks upon their distribution and geographical affinities. London, West, Newman, 1903. url .
- A flora of the north-east of Ireland: including the Phanerogamia, the Cryptogamia vascularia, and the Muscineae / by Samuel Alexander Stewart and Thomas Hughes Corry. [Belfast]: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club; 1888. url p. 298.
- A further contribution to a comparative study of the dominant phanerogamic and higher cryptogamic flora of aquatic habit in Scottish lakes / by George West. Edinburgh: R. Grant, 1910. url p. 177.
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 111.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 172.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 531.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 531.
- A history of Longridge and district. PrestonPrinted by C.W. Whitehead1888 url p. 263.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 92.
- A manual of weeds, with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control, by Ada E. Georgia. .. with 385 illustrations by F. Schuyler Mathews. .. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916, c1914. url p. 394.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 110, p. 292, p. 75.
- A natural history of the British butterflies; their world-wide variation and geographical distribution. A text-book for students and collectors. London: E. Stock, [19--?] url p. 148.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 200, p. 8.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 129, p. 135, p. 144, p. 159, p. 174, p. 176, p. 51.
- A nievve herball, or, Historie of plantes: wherein is contayned the vvhole discourse and perfect description of all sortes of herbes and plantes: their diuers and sundry kindes. .. and that not onely of those whiche are here growyng in this our countrie of Englande but of all others also of forrayne realmes commonly used in physicke. First set foorth in the Doutche or Almaigne tongue /by that learned D. Rembert Dodoens. .. and now first translated out of French into English, by Henry Lyte, Esquyer. 1578 At London: By Mr. Gerard Dewes. .., 1578. url p. 91.
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 70.
- A school flora: for the use of elementary botanical classes / by W. Marshall Watts. New York: Longmans, Green, 1910. url p. 122.
- A supplement to F. Hamilton Davey's Flora of Cornwall / by Edgar Thurston and Chambré C. Vigurs. Truro: Oscar Blackford, Royal Printeries, 1922. url p. 113.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 44.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url , , .
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 120, p. 666.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 307.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 307.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url , p. 101, p. 105, p. 11, p. 112, p. 114, p. 122, p. 131, p. 132, p. 134, p. 140, p. 144, p. 146, p. 148, p. 154, p. 168, p. 169, p. 171, p. 18, p. 19, p. 20, p. 20, p. 221, p. 224, p. 245, p. 25, p. 28, p. 327, p. 343, p. 35, p. 350, p. 40, p. 402, p. 406, p. 42, p. 43, p. 438, p. 46, p. 47, p. 50, p. 515, p. 524, p. 526, p. 528, p. 53, p. 533, p. 536, p. 539, p. 577, p. 578, p. 579, p. 58, p. 590, p. 66, p. 69, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 76, p. 78, p. 81, p. 88, p. 90, p. 94, p. 97, p. 99.
- Agriculture, ancient and modern: a historical account of its principles and practice, exemplified in their rise, progress, and development. By Samuel Copland, the "Old Norfolk farmer" of the Mark Lane Express. . London, Virtue and company, 1866. url p. 595.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 44.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1831. url p. 883.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 491.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 245, p. 246, p. 589.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 581.
- An introduction to botany, by John Lindley. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman, 1832. url p. 107.
- An introduction to botany. 2d ed., with corrections and numerous additions. LondonLongman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman1835 url p. 129, p. 93.
- An introduction to botany. By John Lindley. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1848. url p. 246, p. 317.
- An introduction to physiological & systematical botany. Philadelphia, A. Finley;1814. url p. 127.
- An introduction to physiological and systematical botany / by Sir James Edward Smith. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1819. url p. 114.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 235, p. 248, p. 248.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 87.
- Annals / Entomological Society of America. Baltimore [etc.] url p. 425.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 333, p. 425.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 639.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 47, p. 99.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 453, p. 453.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 205, p. 437, p. 695.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 110, p. 307.
- Bemerkungen auf einer Reise in die südlichen Statthalterschaften des russischen Reichs in den Jahren 1793 und 1794 Leipzig: Bey Gottfried Martini, 1801. url .
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 223, p. 264.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url , , p. 359, p. 447, p. 78, p. 91, p. 94, p. 94.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 134, p. 166, p. 175, p. 69, p. 77, p. 93.
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 294.
- British flowering plants. By W. F. Kirby. With 120 coloured plates, showing the most important characters of each plant figured; and 119 illustrations in the text. London, Sidney Appleton, 1906. url p. 120, p. 198, p. 200, p. 205.
- British fungus-flora. A classified text-book of mycology. London, G. Bell & Sons, 1892-95. url .
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 261, p. 261, p. 264, p. 264.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url , .
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url , p. xxiii.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 665.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 431, p. 432, p. 470.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1917 1917 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 66.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1899 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 221.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 19 1892 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 388, p. 87.
- Bulletins. Minneapolis url p. 363.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 61, p. 62.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 237, p. 271.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 789, p. 89, p. 997.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 789, p. 997.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 357.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 77.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the herbarium of the Geological Survey of Canada / by James M. Macoun. [Ottawa?: s.n.], 1894-1906. url p. 168.
- Contributions to Canadian botany / by Jas. M. Macoun. Ottawa: [s. n.], 1894-1906. url p. 168.
- Contributions to Canadian botany by James M. Macoun. Ottawa?: s.n., 1906? url .
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 42.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.Hodges, Smith, 1866. url p. 27, p. 40.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 296, p. 309, p. 310, p. 339, p. 434, p. 495.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 127, p. 423.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 381, p. 387.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites: introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae / London; Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url .
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url .
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- English wild flowers: to be found by the wayside, fields, hedgerows, rivers, moorlands, meadows, mountains, and sea-shore / by J.T. Burgess. London: F. Warne, [18--?] url p. 166.
- Epping Forest / by Edward North Buxton. London: E. Stanford, 1885. url p. 124.
- Facts for farmers; New York, A.J. Johnson;1867. url p. 767.
- Facts for farmers; also for the family circle. A compost of rich materials for all land-owners, about domestic animals and domestic economy; farm buildings; gardens, orchards, and vineyards; and all farm crops, tools, fences, fertilization, draini Ed. by Solon Robinson. .. New York, Johnson and Ward, 1864. url p. 767.
- Farm weeds of Canada / by George H. Clark and James Fletcher; with illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, 1923 url p. 139.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Published by direction of the Hon. Sydney A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1909. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau,  url p. 139.
- Flora barbadensis: a catalogue of plants, indigenous, naturalized, and cultivated, in Barbados: to which is prefixed, a geological description of the island /by James Dottin Maycock. 1830 London: J. Ridgeway, 1830. url p. 427.
- Flora hibernica, comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland, arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system, by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin, Simpkin, Marshall and co.; [etc., etc.]1836. url p. 175.
- Flora hibernica: comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland: arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin: W. Curry jun., 1836. url p. 175.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , p. 354.
- Flora of Derbyshire: flowering plants, higher cryptogams, mosses and hepatics, Characeae. London, Bemrose & Sons Ltd., 1903. url p. 12.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 156.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 206.
- Flora of Marlborough; with notices of birds and a sketch of the geological features of the neighborhood. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url p. 71.
- Flora of Middlesex: a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county: with sketches of its Physical Geography and climate and of the progress of Middlesex Botany during the last three centuries. London, R. Hardwicke1869. url p. 389.
- Flora of Middlesex; a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county; with sketches of its physical geography and climate, and of the progress of Middlesex botany during the last three centuries, by Henry Trimen and William T. Thiselton Dyer. With a map. London, Robert Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 389.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 285.
- Flora of the Bristol coal-field. Edited (for the Bristol Naturalists' Society) by James Walter White. .. Bristol, J. Fawn & Son [etc.]1881- url p. 148.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 144.
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url .
- Flowers of the field. London, G. Routledge, 1908. url .
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 525.
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 241.
- Flowers, fruits and leaves. London, Macmillan, 1888. url , , .
- Flowers, fruits and leaves. London: Macmillan, 1886. url , , .
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond. Comp. by John Croumbie Brown... Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.], 1884- url p. 187.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 550, p. 613, p. 622.
- Grasses of North America chapters on the physiology, composition, selection, improving and cultivation of grasses, management of grass lands, also chapters on clovers, injurious insects and fungi / by W.J. Beal. New York: H. Holt, 1896, c1887. url p. 285.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 744, p. 744.
- Gray's new manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, New York, American Book Co.[c1908] url .
- Gray's new manual of botany: a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada / Asa Gray; rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New York: American Book Company, c1908. url p. 744.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 879.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 24, p. 31, p. 321, p. 69, p. 83.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , , , , .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1920. url p. 366.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 219.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 114, p. 139, p. 230, p. 239, p. 29.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 6187.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 216.
- Hooker's journal of botany and Kew Garden miscellany. 9 1857 London: Reeve, Benham, and Reeve, 1849-1857. url p. 317.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. 64.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 43.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 239.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 215, p. 216.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Index of British plants according to the London catalogue... London: G. Bell, 1889. url p. 93.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 140, p. 390, p. 506, p. 515, p. 60, p. 68, p. 856, p. 857, p. 868.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 22, p. 28, p. 819.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 4 1866 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 10, p. 110, p. 123, p. 125, p. 145, p. 145, p. 185, p. 195, p. 20, p. 20, p. 206, p. 209, p. 23, p. 239, p. 241, p. 243, p. 259, p. 268, p. 274, p. 275, p. 294, p. 305, p. 305, p. 313, p. 317, p. 320, p. 334, p. 336, p. 35, p. 351, p. 360, p. 366, p. 369, p. 388, p. 39, p. 393, p. 40, p. 400, p. 48, p. 510, p. 52, p. 68, p. 72, p. 73, p. 79, p. 93, p. 94.
- Journal of the Bath and West and Southern Counties Society. LondonE. Stanford [etc.] url p. 103, p. 106.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 126, p. 309.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 441, p. 747.
- Kalm's account of his visit to England: on his way to America in 1748 / London; Macmillan, 1892. url .
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Julius von Sachs, translated by H. Marshall Ward. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 792.
- Letters on the elements of botany, addressed to a lady, by the celebrated J.J. Rousseau. Translated into English, with notes, and twenty-four additional letters, fully explaining the system of Linnaeus, by Thomas Martyn. London, B. and J. White, 1796. url p. 166.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 508.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 301.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1080.
- Loudon, J. C. Loudon's Hortus britannicus.A catalogue of all the plants indigenous, cultivated in, or introduced to Britain. Part I. The Linnaean arrangement... Part II. The Jussieuean arrangement... /Edited by J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1830. url p. 462, p. 530.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1084.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 858.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 381, p. 387.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 9 1900 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 199, p. 211, p. 276, p. 301.
- Memoirs read before the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, [Boston Society of Natural History]1862-1946. url p. 256.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 204.
- Minimum areas for different vegetations, their determination from species-area curves. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1949. url p. 62.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 47, p. 99.
- Mémoires. Bruxelles, The Society. url p. 107, p. 47, p. 70.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url , p. 316.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 373, p. 466.
- New manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearr. and extensively rev. by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1908] url p. 744.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 6 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 155.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 107, p. 135, p. 139, p. 169, p. 200, p. 237, p. 287, p. 338, p. 378, p. 42, p. 425, p. 45, p. 474, p. 476, p. 85.
- Notes on the life history of British flowering plants, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1905. url , .
- Observations of a naturalist in the Pacific between 1896 and 1899 / by H.B. Guppy. London: Macmillan and Co., 1903-1906. url p. 621.
- On British wild flowers considered in relation to insects / by Lord Avebury. London: Macmillan, 1909. url p. 164.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 81.
- On the popular names of British plants, being an explanation of the origin and meaning of the names of our indigenous and most commonly cultivated species. By R. C. A. Prior. London: Williams and Norgate, 1870. url p. 132.
- Organography of plants, especially of the archegoniatae and spermaphyta, ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clar. Press, 1900-5. url p. 339, p. 344, p. 352, p. 691.
- Outlines of botany: taken chiefly from Smith's Introduction. .. For the use of schools and students / by Dr. John Locke. .. Boston: Cummings and Hilliard for the author, 1819. url p. 24.
- Permanent and temporary pastures, London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent, 1911. url , .
- Plant lore, legends, and lyrics. Embracing the myths, traditions, superstitions, and folk-lore of the plant kingdom. By Richard Folkard, jun. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, and Rivington, 1884. url p. 152.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 88.
- Pollen / by M. Pakenham Edgeworth. London: Hardwicke & Bogue, 1877. url p. 76, p. 76.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 381, p. 381, p. 458, p. 458.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 105, p. 13, p. 149, p. 174, p. 202, p. 239, p. 245, p. 26, p. 266, p. 55, p. 56, p. 65.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 485.
- Popular science news, formerly Boston journal of chemistry. A popular illustrated monthly devoted to the progress in zoology, botany, mineralogy, archaeology, hygiene, invention, with related physical sciences and general v. 1-36; July 1866-Dec. 1902. Boston, J.R. Nichols & co. [etc.]1866-; New York, W. O. Allison [etc., 1894]-1902. url p. 102.
- Practical physiology of plants, Cambridge, University press, 1901 url p. 198, p. 217.
- Practical physiology of plants, by Francis Darwin. .. and the late E. Hamilton Acton. Cambridge, University press, 1901. url p. 198, p. 217.
- Practical plant physiology: an introduction to original research for students and teachers of natural science, medicine, agriculture and forestry / by W. Detmer; translated from the 2nd German edition by S.A. Moor. London: Macmillan, 1898. url p. 363.
- Proceedings - Cambridge Philosophical Society. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society [etc.] url p. 236.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 22.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 8.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , p. 763.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 131, p. 140, p. 265, p. 49, p. 50, p. 52, p. 56.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 410, p. 442.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 131.
- Report of the Botanical Department of the New Jersey Agricultural College Experiment Station / by Byron D. Halsted. Trenton, N.J.: The Station, url .
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 47, p. 99.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 59.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url p. 43.
- Science and practice in farm cultivation. By James Buckman. London, R. Hardwicke, 1865. url p. 79.
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url p. 424, p. 463.
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 62, p. 63.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 408.
- Senior botany. London, Univ. Tutor. Press, 1918. url p. 433.
- Spixiana. 12 1989 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 234, p. 236, p. 239.
- Sport in Norway, and where to find it. Together with a short account of the vegetable productions of the country. To which is added, a list of the Alpine flora of the Dovre fjeld and of the Norwegian ferns, &c. By M. R. Barnard. .. London, Chapman and Hall, 1864. url p. 300.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, Flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / by H. Stuart Thompson; with 33 coloured plates (168 figures) by George Flemwell. London: Dutton, 1912. url p. 249.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / [London]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1912. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 47.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 1019, p. 266.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 911.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 911.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 100, p. 172, p. 178, p. 186, p. 233, p. 38, p. 40.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous, or flowering plants and the ferns / by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1838- url p. 64.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 444.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 176, p. 94.
- The Coleoptera of the British islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. / by the Rev. W. W. Fowler. London: L. Reeve & co., 1887-1913. url p. 312.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url p. 213.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 142.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 138, p. 175.
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url p. 184, p. 425, p. 436.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 125, p. 45, p. 90.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 95.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1860 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url , p. 1583, p. 275, p. 344, p. 558, p. 636, p. 788.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 1, p. 124, p. 266, p. 364, p. 403, p. 64, p. 693, p. 70, p. 766.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , , , , p. 137, p. 15, p. 195, p. 199, p. 205, p. 238, p. 243, p. 245, p. 34, p. 8, p. 9.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 553, p. 553.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 109.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 22 1887 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 106, p. 316, p. 438, p. 458, p. 78.
- The Lepidoptera of the British Islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, their preparatory states, habits, and localities / by Charles G. Barrett. London: L. Reeve, 1893-1907. url p. 172, p. 210.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 6 1847 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 396, p. 603.
- The Naturalist. 1894 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 106, p. 110, p. 200, p. 209, p. 59, p. 71, p. 99.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 303.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 303.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 168, p. 168.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 105, p. 107, p. 118, p. 149, p. 152, p. 154, p. 171, p. 203, p. 258, p. 264, p. 266, p. 316, p. 324, p. 36, p. 385, p. 393, p. 41, p. 428, p. 44, p. 45, p. 550.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1052, p. 1125, p. 28, p. 428, p. 505, p. 564, p. 903.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 242.
- The Popular science monthly New York: D. Appleton url p. 485.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 485.
- The Romance of wild flowers: a companion to the British flora / by Edward Step. London; Warne, 1899. url p. 163.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 311.
- The Victoria history of the county of Buckingham. Edited by William Page. [LondonConstable]1905-1927 url .
- The biology of flowering plants, by Macgregor Skene. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1924. url p. 25.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 184.
- The book of the seasons; or, The calendar of nature. LondonR. Bentley1833 url p. 160.
- The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage comprising an account of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition during the voyage to the Pacific and Bering's Strait, performed in His Majesty's Ship Blos London: H.G. Bohn, 1841. url .
- The coleoptera of the British Islands, a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. London, Reeve, 1887-91. url p. 312.
- The colours of flowers as illustrated in British flora / by Grant Allen. London: Macmillan, 1882. url .
- The cyclopædia; or, Universal dictionary of arts, sciences, and literature. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown [etc.], 1819. url p. 635.
- The different forms of flowers on plants of the same species. New York, D. Appleton, 1903. url .
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 237, p. 271.
- The encyclopedia of microscopy. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp. url p. 82.
- The evolution theory, London, E. Arnold, 1904. url .
- The evolution theory. Translated with the author's co-operation by J. Arthur Thomson and Margaret R. Thomson. LondonE. Arnold1904 url p. 159.
- The families of flowering plants. Washington, D. C., The Plant World Co.[1900-02] url .
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 180.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 503, p. 506, p. 507.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url , , p. 110.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 146, p. 64.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 142.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 142.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 83.
- The flora of Oxfordshire and its contiguous counties: (comprising the flowering plants only;) arranged in easy and familiar language according to the Linnaean and natural systems; preceded by an introduction to botany / Oxford: H. Slatter, 1833. url p. 40, p. 40.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 251.
- The fungus flora of Yorkshire. A complete account of the known fungi of the county. By G. Massee and C. Crossland. London, A. Brown, 1905. url p. 240.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 90.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 256.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 359.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 478.
- The introduced and the spreading plants of Ontario and Quebec by A.T. Drummond. S.l.: s.n., 18-- url .
- The life of John Duncan Scotch weaver and botanist: with sketches of his friends and notices of the times / by William Jolly. London: Kegan Paul, Trench and Co., 1883. url p. 250, p. 515.
- The natural history of British meadow and pasture grasses, with an account of their economy and agricultural indication. London, Hamilton, Adams, 1858. url .
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 967.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url , .
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 249.
- The naturalist's diary: a day-book of meteorology, phenology and rural biology. With a chart showing the blossoming of spring flowers in Europe, and an introduction of natural periodic phenomena, etc. 188-. London, Sonnenschein, Le Bas and Lowrey[pref. 1886] url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 126, p. 171, p. 214, p. 226, p. 239, p. 311, p. 368, p. 403.
- The origin of floral structures through insect and other agencies, by the George Henslow. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübnerco, 1888. url p. 226, p. 268.
- The origin of floral structures: through insect and other agencies. New York: Appleton, 1888. url , .
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url p. 105, p. 443.
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, by Dr. W. Pfeffer. .. 2d fully rev. ed., translated and edited by Alfred J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 105, p. 443.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 107.
- The study of plants; an introduction to botany and plant ecology. OxfordClarendon Press1915 url p. 368, p. 380.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , , , p. 160, p. 240, p. 241, p. 358.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 191, p. 204.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url , , , , , , , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 736.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 736.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url , .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 251.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 23.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , p. 273, p. 60.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 120, p. 209.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 318.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 124.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 13, p. 236.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 228.
- Types of British vegetation, Cambridge, University Press, 1911. url , .
- Vegetable organography; or, An analytical description of the organs of plants. Translated by Boughton Kingdon. LondonHoulston & Stoneman1841 url .
- Vegetable teratology, an account of the principal deviations from the usual construction of plants, by Maxwell T. Masters. .. With numerous illus. by E.M. Williams. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 111, p. 20, p. 243.
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 119, p. 126.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 119, p. 147, p. 15.
- Weeds of farm land, by Winifred E. Brenchley. New York, Longmans, Green and co., 1920. url p. 134, p. 183, p. 197, p. 219, p. 235, p. 73.
- Weeds of farm land. London, Longmans, 1920. url p. 134, p. 183, p. 197, p. 219, p. 235.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url p. 40.
- Withering, W. A systematic arrangement of British plants: with an easy introduction to the study of botany. 1801 London: Printed for T. Cadell, jun [etc.], 1801. url p. 19.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 187.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 1122.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 70.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Flora of the Stołowe Mts.
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2655436
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32888
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:685411-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 400112
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32888
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 685410-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PLMEM
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 56858
- "Plantago". in Flora of Pakistan . Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 181.900 meters (596.785 feet), Standard Deviation = 238.640 based on 11,876 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]