Common Names in English:
Dwarf Plantain, Wooly Indianwheat, Wooly Plantain
, or mostly acaulescent
herbs, sometimes an undershrub. Leaves usually all radical
, sometimes cauline. Flowers hermaphrodite, dimorphic
, polygamous, usually in many-flowered cylindrical spikes, rarely capitate. Calyx lobes
or 2 large and 2 small. Corolla tube
cylindrical, sometimes contracted
at the throat
, usually equalling the calyx, sometimes exserted, lobes 4, equal, patent
. Stamens 4, inserted
at or above the middle
of the corolla tube, often exserted. Ovary 2-locular or 3-4-locular with false free
septa; locules with 1 to many ovules. Capsule membranous, circumscissile. Seeds usually peltate, testa thin, mucilaginous
, albumen fleshy
A cosmopolitan genus, with approximately 270 species, which is represented in Pakistan by nearly 20 species.
Flowers: Bloom Period: March, April, May. • Flower Color: near white, white
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,007 meters (0 to 3,304 feet).
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Plantago hybrida W. Bart. • Plantago pusilla var. major Engelm.
Publishing author : Bunge Publication : Verz. Suppl. Fl. Alt. 13
Members of the genus Plantago
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 58 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. afra (African Plantain) · P. argyraea (Salt-Meadow Plantain) · P. aristata (Bottlebrush Indianwheat) · P. australis (Mexican Plantain) · P. australis subnuda (Mexican Plantain) · P. australis subsp. hirtella (Mexican Indianwheat) · P. bigelovii (Coast Plantain) · P. bigelovii subsp. californica (Coast Plantain) · P. californica californica (Coast Plantain) · P. canescens (Gray Pubescent Plantain) · P. cordata (Heartleaf Plantain) · P. coronopus (Buckhorn Plaintain Plantago Coronopus) · P. debilis (Weak Plantain) · P. depauperata (Goldeye Rockfish) · P. elongata (Longleaf Plantain) · P. elongata subsp. pentasperma (Prairie Plantain) · P. erecta (California Plantain) · P. eriopoda (Alkali Plantain) · P. firma (Chilean Plantain) · P. hawaiensis (Hawai'i Plantain) · P. helleri (Heller's Plantain) · P. heterophylla (Slender Plantain) · P. hookeriana (California Plantain) · P. lanceolata (Buckhorn Plantain) · P. macrocarpa (Seashore Plantain) · P. major (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major pleiosperma (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major var. major (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major var. polysperma (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major 'Atropurpurea' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Giant' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Rosularis' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Rubrifolia' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. maritima (Alkali Plantain) · P. maritima var. californica (California Goose Tongue) · P. maritima var. juncoides (Goose Tongue) · P. media (Hoary Plantain) · P. media stepposa (Hoary Plantain) · P. moorei (Moore's Plantain) · P. ovata (Desert Indianwheat) · P. pachyphylla (Maui Plantain) · P. patagonica (Indian Wheat) · P. princeps (Ale) · P. princeps var. anomala (Ale) · P. princeps var. laxiflora (Ale) · P. princeps var. longibracteata (Ale) · P. princeps var. princeps (Ale) · P. psyllium (Dark Psyllium) · P. pusilla (Dwarf Plantain) · P. rhodosperma (Redseed Indianwheat) · P. rugelii (Black-Seed Plantain) · P. rugelii var. asperula (Blackseed Plantain) · P. rugelii var. rugelii (Blackseed Plantain) · P. sparsiflora (Pineland Plantain) · P. subnuda (Tall Coastal Plantain) · P. tweedyi (Tweedy Plantain) · P. virginica (Hoary Plantain) · P. wrightiana (Wright Plantain)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 79.
- A flora of northwest America containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia / Portland, Or.: [s.n.], 1901. url .
- A flora of northwest America: containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia / by Thomas Howell. Vol. 1, Phanerogamae. Portland, Or.: [s.n.], 1903. url p. 563.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical. In two parts. Part I. Outlines of organography, anatomy, and physiology. Part II. Descriptions and illustrations of the orders. By Emm. Le Maout [and] J. Decaisne. With 5500 figures by L. Steinheil a London, Longmans, Green & Co.1873. url .
- An essay toward a natural history of La Salle County, Illinois, in two parts / J. W. Huett. Ottawa, Illinois: Fair-dealer print, 1898. url p. 115.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 245, p. 249.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 640.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 19 1908 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 175, p. 238.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 636.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 1538.
- Botany Cambridge, Mass., John Wilson and Son, 1880 url p. 612.
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 295.
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass., Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 612.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 636.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 279.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 6 1875-1879 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 258, p. 34, p. 516, p. 517, p. 518, p. 520, p. 521, p. 522, p. 523, p. 525, p. 527, p. 528, p. 529.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 361.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 1 1890-1895 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 213, p. 256, p. 525.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 21, p. 51.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota / D.A. Saunders. Brookings: U.S. Experiment Station, South Dakota: 1899. url p. 195.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 86.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 242.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1091, p. 441, p. 868, p. 870.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 256.
- Flora of the Southern United States: containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., [c1883] url .
- Flora of the southern United States, containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida; arranged according to the natural system by A.W. Chapman. New York, American Book Company url p. 634.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 525.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 301.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 1244.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 301.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 16.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1909] url .
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 165.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 256.
- Preliminary report of explorations in Nebraska and Dakota, in the years 1855-'56-'57, by Lieut. G.K. Warren, Topographical Engineers. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1875. url p. 119.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 429, p. 429.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 86, p. 86.
- Report intended to illustrate a map of the hydrographical basin of the upper Mississippi river / made by I.N. Nicollet, while in employ under the Bureau of the Corps of Topographical Engineers. Washington: Blair and Rives, printers, 1843. url p. 158.
- Report of the flora of Westchester County. Prepared for Bolton's History of the County. New YorkRoper & Burdge, 1880? url p. 798.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. 4 1856 Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 117.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Co. [etc., etc.]1878-1884. url , p. 392, p. 392.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalae, a second edition of vol. I, pt. II, and vol. II, pt. I / collected by Asa Gray. Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1888. url p. 392.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 264.
- The American journal of science. 10 1826 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 264, p. 298.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 13.
- The Cincinnatus. Cincinnati: Applegate and Co., 1857- url p. 208, p. 210.
- The Lancaster, farmer, a monthly journal: Lancaster, Pa., Wylie & Griest [etc., 1869]- url p. 157.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 148, p. 148.
- The Tennessee flora; with special reference to the flora of Nashville. Phaenogams and vascular cryptogams, by August Gattinger. Nashville, Tenn.The author, 1887. url p. 74.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 39 1958 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 177.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 154.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 251.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 70.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 179, p. 251.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 154.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 96.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 58, p. 6.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 4 1893 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 19.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 27, 2007:
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University and Jepson Herbaria DiGIR provider
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2655437
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32889
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13746717
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:685569-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 316788
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32889
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 685568-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PLHY5
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 56853
- "Plantago". in Flora of Pakistan . Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 209.090 meters (685.991 feet), Standard Deviation = 151.920 based on 254 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]