Common Names in English:
Heartleaf Plantain, Heart-Leaf Plantain, Kingroot
, or mostly acaulescent
herbs, sometimes an undershrub. Leaves usually all radical
, sometimes cauline. Flowers hermaphrodite, dimorphic
, polygamous, usually in many-flowered cylindrical spikes, rarely capitate. Calyx lobes
or 2 large and 2 small. Corolla tube
cylindrical, sometimes contracted
at the throat
, usually equalling the calyx, sometimes exserted, lobes 4, equal, patent
. Stamens 4, inserted
at or above the middle
of the corolla tube, often exserted. Ovary 2-locular or 3-4-locular with false free
septa; locules with 1 to many ovules. Capsule membranous, circumscissile. Seeds usually peltate, testa thin, mucilaginous
, albumen fleshy
A cosmopolitan genus, with approximately 270 species, which is represented in Pakistan by nearly 20 species.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
: Lam. Publication
: Tabl. Encycl. i. 138.
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Plantago
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 58 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. afra (African Plantain) · P. argyraea (Salt-Meadow Plantain) · P. aristata (Bottlebrush Indianwheat) · P. australis (Mexican Plantain) · P. australis subnuda (Mexican Plantain) · P. australis subsp. hirtella (Mexican Indianwheat) · P. bigelovii (Coast Plantain) · P. bigelovii subsp. californica (Coast Plantain) · P. californica californica (Coast Plantain) · P. canescens (Gray Pubescent Plantain) · P. cordata (Heartleaf Plantain) · P. coronopus (Buckhorn Plaintain Plantago Coronopus) · P. debilis (Weak Plantain) · P. depauperata (Goldeye Rockfish) · P. elongata (Longleaf Plantain) · P. elongata subsp. pentasperma (Prairie Plantain) · P. erecta (California Plantain) · P. eriopoda (Alkali Plantain) · P. firma (Chilean Plantain) · P. hawaiensis (Hawai'i Plantain) · P. helleri (Heller's Plantain) · P. heterophylla (Slender Plantain) · P. hookeriana (California Plantain) · P. lanceolata (Buckhorn Plantain) · P. macrocarpa (Seashore Plantain) · P. major (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major pleiosperma (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major var. major (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major var. polysperma (Broadleaf Plantain) · P. major 'Atropurpurea' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Giant' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Rosularis' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. major 'Rubrifolia' (Cuckoos Bread) · P. maritima (Alkali Plantain) · P. maritima var. californica (California Goose Tongue) · P. maritima var. juncoides (Goose Tongue) · P. media (Hoary Plantain) · P. media stepposa (Hoary Plantain) · P. moorei (Moore's Plantain) · P. ovata (Desert Indianwheat) · P. pachyphylla (Maui Plantain) · P. patagonica (Indian Wheat) · P. princeps (Ale) · P. princeps var. anomala (Ale) · P. princeps var. laxiflora (Ale) · P. princeps var. longibracteata (Ale) · P. princeps var. princeps (Ale) · P. psyllium (Dark Psyllium) · P. pusilla (Dwarf Plantain) · P. rhodosperma (Redseed Indianwheat) · P. rugelii (Black-Seed Plantain) · P. rugelii var. asperula (Blackseed Plantain) · P. rugelii var. rugelii (Blackseed Plantain) · P. sparsiflora (Pineland Plantain) · P. subnuda (Tall Coastal Plantain) · P. tweedyi (Tweedy Plantain) · P. virginica (Hoary Plantain) · P. wrightiana (Wright Plantain)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 333.
- A class-book of botany, designed for colleges, academies, and other seminaries. Illustrated by a flora of northern, middle, and western states; particularly of the United States north of the Capitol, lat. 38 3/4. Claremont, N. H., Manufacturing Co., S. Ide, agent, 1850. url p. 388.
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 84.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 110.
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 888, p. 956.
- A spring flora for high schools, New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1915] url .
- A spring flora for high schools, by Henry C. Cowles. .. and John G. Coulter. .. New York, American book company[c1915] url p. 24.
- An essay toward a natural history of La Salle County, Illinois, in two parts / J. W. Huett. Ottawa, Illinois: Fair-dealer print, 1898. url p. 115.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 245, p. 247.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 581.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 639.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 122.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 450.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 17.
- Atlas of the rare vascular plants of Ontario / Ottawa: Botany Division, National Museum of Natural Sciences = Division de la botanique, Musée national des sciences naturelles, 1982-1987. url .
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 11 - 20 1929 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 15, p. 57.
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 294.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 106, p. 179.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 333.
- Bulletin of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, D.C.: The Society, 1918- url p. 96.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 154.
- Bulletin of the Philosophical Society of Washington. 25 1883 Washington, D.C.: Published by the co-operation of the Smithsonian Institution, [1874- url p. 78.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 126, p. 91.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 219.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url p. 391.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 779.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 779.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the phaenogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants of Missouri. Jefferson City, Tribune Printing Co., 1886. url .
- Chapman, A. W. Flora of the southern United States:containing abridged descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system /By A. W. Chapman, the ferns by Prof. Daniel C. Eaton. 1860 N. Y.: Ivison, Phinney, 1860. url p. 277.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 60.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 21 1919 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 256, p. 257, p. 735.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 24 2005 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 204, p. 319, p. 79.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1363.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 155, p. 59.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary / Albany, N.Y.: The Department,  url p. 49.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , , p. 36, p. 56.
- Flora boreali-Americana, or, The botany of the northern parts of British America compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. to which are added (by permission of by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: H.G. Bohn, 1840. url .
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 867, p. 868.
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 289.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 256, p. 257.
- Flora of the Southern United States: containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., [c1883] url .
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1101, p. 1101.
- Gray's new manual of botany (7th ed.--illustrated) A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1908] url p. 744.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 744, p. 744.
- Gray's new manual of botany: a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada / Asa Gray; rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New York: American Book Company, c1908. url p. 744.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 367.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 210.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 2 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 123.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url , p. 110.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 121, p. 187, p. 187.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 301.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (the mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) Chicago: Ivison, Phinney; 1863, c1862. url p. 268.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada, by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, H. Holt and Co., 1901. url p. 858.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 148, p. 301.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url p. 34.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url .
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 15.
- New manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearr. and extensively rev. by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1908] url p. 744.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 735.
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 735.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 130, p. 130.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 141.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 190.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 25.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 466.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 137, p. 49.
- Reliquiae Baldwinianae: selections from the correspondence of the late William Baldwin with occasional notes, and a short biographical memoir compiled by William Darlington. Philadelphia: Kimber and Sharpless, 1843. url p. 173.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 190.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1098.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 144.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 38, p. 56, p. 63, p. 66.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 389.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 316, p. 505, p. 519, p. 549, p. 611, p. 735, p. 736.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal: Natural History Society, 1884-1916. url .
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 535.
- The Lake Erie shore as a botanizing ground read before the Biological Section, February 15th, 1889 / by T.J.W. Burgess. Hamilton?, Ont.: s.n., 1889? url .
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 133, p. 294, p. 82.
- The Tennessee flora; with special reference to the flora of Nashville. Phaenogams and vascular cryptogams, by August Gattinger. Nashville, Tenn.The author, 1887. url p. 74.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 212.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 154.
- The plant societies of Chicago and its vicinity. Chicago, The Geographic Society of Chicago url .
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 107.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2656.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 117, p. 118, p. 168, p. 189, p. 209.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 138, p. 155, p. 169, p. 76, p. 81, p. 90.
- Transactions of the State Agricultural Society. .. Lansing: The Society, 1850-1856. url p. 414.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 33.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 58.
- World Plant Conservation Bibliography WCMC, Royal Botanic Gardens url p. 183, p. 633.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2655428
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32876
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13746721
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:685038-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 316191
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32876
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 685038-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PLCO2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 56849