Used in the preparation of a narcotic drink.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Chinese:
Ka Wa Hu Jiao
Common Names in English:
Kava, Kava Kava, Kava Pepper, Kava Shrub, Kava-Kava, Kawa Pepper, Yangona Pepper
Common Names in Fijian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Kava-Kava, Kawa-Kawa, Kawa-Pfeffer, Kawapfeffer, Rausch-Pfeffer
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Turkish:
, or climbers
, rarely trees
, usually aromatic
. Vascular bundles
in a monocotyledonlike manner. Tip
of stem sometimes enclosed within a stipulelike sheath
, the prophyll, sometimes adnate
, absent in Peperomia. Leaves alternate, often opposite or whorled
in Peperomia, simple
, palmately or pinnately veined. Inflorescence a pedunculate
spike, rarely grouped into an umbel, rarely a raceme
(in Zippelia), leaf-opposed or axillary
, rarely terminal
. Flowers small, bisexual
, polygamous or dioecious, nearly always sessile; bracts small, usually peltate or cupular, usually without perianth. Stamens 1-10; filaments
, longitudinally dehiscent
. Gynoecium 2-5-carpellate, connate; ovary superior, 1-locular, ovule 1, orthotropous
; stigmas 1-5, sessile or with very short styles. Fruit a small drupe or nutlet
; pericarp fleshy
, thin or dry, sometimes with sticky papillae (in Peperomia) or glochidiate
spines (in Zippelia) . Seeds with copious
and a minute embryo embedded
in small endosperm.
About eight or nine genera and 2000-3000 species: tropical and subtropical regions, mostly in North and South America, rather fewer in Asia, a few in Africa; three genera and 68 species (36 endemic, four introduced ) in China.
, or rarely herbs, erect
. Leaves alternate, pubescent. Leaf blade
conspicuously pinnately veined, lateral
veins ascending-arching, connected by fainter, ladderlike, tertiary veins. Spikes opposite leaves, ascending-arching, densely flowered, distally drooping
. Flowers sessile, borne on surface of rachis; floral
with whitish hairs
; stamens 2[-6]; stigmas [2-]3[-4]. Fruits sessile, oblong
(inversely pyramidal-3-angled in P. auritum ) ; beak
Species 1000: primarily tropics and subtropics.
This genus includes Piper nigrum Linnaeus, the source of black pepper and white pepper.
Flowers: Flower Color: pale yellow
Size: 6-8' tall.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Piper
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 44 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. aduncum (Higuillo De Hoja Menuda) · P. aduncum var. exotum (Spiked Pepper) · P. amalago (Higuillo De Limon) · P. amalago var. amalago (Spanish-Elder) · P. amalago var. ceanothifolium (Spanish-Elder) · P. amalago var. medium (Spanish-Elder) · P. angustifolium (Pepper) · P. arborescens (Lanyu Pepper) · P. attenuatum (Oval-Leaved Pepper Plant) · P. aurantiacum (Orange Pepper Tree) · P. auritum (False Kava-Kava) · P. auritum 'Hoja Santa' (Hoja Santa Pepper) · P. austrosinense (South China Pepper) · P. bambusifolium (Bamboo-Leaved Pepper Plant) · P. betel (Betel Pepper) · P. betle (Betel Leaf) · P. blattarum (Moth Pepper) · P. boehmeriifolium (False Nettle-Leaved Pepper Plant) · P. cubeba (Cubeb) · P. dilatatum (Higuillo) · P. distachyon (Montane Peperomia) · P. glabrescens (Guyanese Pepper) · P. guineense (Pepper) · P. hainanense (Hainan Pepper) · P. hispidum (Jamaican Pepper) · P. jacquemontianum (Caracas Pepper) · P. kadsura (Kadzura Pepper) · P. kadzura (Japanese Pepper) · P. longifolium (Pepper) · P. longum (Indian Long Pepper) · P. magnificum (Lacquered Pepper) · P. magnoliifolium (Spoonleaf Peperomia) · P. marginatum (Marigold Pepper) · P. methysticum (Kava) · P. nigrum (Black Pepper) · P. ornatum (Celebes Pepper) · P. pereskiifolium (Spotted Trunkfish) · P. ponapense (Pepper) · P. puberulum (Downy Pepper) · P. retrofractum (Balinese Pepper) · P. sarmentosum (Chaa-Plu) · P. seychellarum (Seychelles Pepper) · P. swartzianum (Spanish Elder) · P. wichmannii (False Kava (Vanuatu))
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A complete dictionary of practical gardening: comprehending all the modern improvements in the art: whether in the raising of the various esculent vegetables, or in the forcing and managing of different sorts of fruits and plants, and that of la by Alexander McDonald. .. London: Printed for George Kearsley. .. by R. Taylor. .., 1807. url .
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 503.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 324.
- A preliminary catalogue of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop museum of Polynesian ethnology and natural history. .. Honolulu, 1892-93. url p. 47.
- A record of the doctors in botany of the University of Chicago 1897-1916, presented to John Merle Coulter, professor and head of the Department of botany, by the doctors in Botany at the quarter-centennial of the university, June 1916. Chicago,  url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and as a handbook for food and drug analysts. London, Lippincott[c1907] url .
- A voyage of discovery into the South Sea and Beering's [sic] Straits, for the purpose of exploring a north-east passage undertaken in the years 1815-1818, at the expense of His Highness the chancellor of the empire, Count Romanzoff, in the ship Rurick, under the command of the lieutenant in the Russian Imperial Navy, O London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown. .., 1821. url .
- A year in Fiji, or, An inquiry into the botanical, agricultural, and economical resources of the colony. By John Horne. .. Published at the request of the Hon. Sir A. H. Gordon. .. London: E. Stanford; [etc., etc.], 1881. url p. 266.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 153.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url p. 168.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 309, p. 544.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 177, p. 508.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 177, p. 177, p. 508, p. 508.
- Bernice P. Bishop Museum bulletin. Honolulu, Hawaii: Bishop Museum Press, 1922-1987. url p. 115, p. 133, p. 135, p. 152, p. 207, p. 253, p. 37.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 208, p. 363.
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 28 1980-1982 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 189.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 240.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 43 1916 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 542.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 189.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 757.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 757.
- Catalogue of the library of the Linnean Society of London. London: The Society, 1896. url p. 45.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 181.
- Commercial botany of the nineteenth century. A record of progress in the utilisation of vegetable products in the United Kingdom, and the introduction of economic plants into the British colonies, during the present century. London [etc.]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1890. url .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url , , , p. 118, p. 121, p. 123, p. 124, p. 125, p. 126, p. 127, p. 129, p. 131.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 30 1957 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 216, p. 234, p. 354, p. 62.
- Dictionary of arts, manufactures, and mines containing a clear exposition of their principles and practice by Robert Hunt, assisted by F.W. Rudler. London, Longmans, 1875-78. url p. 14.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url p. 269.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 194, p. 442, p. 980.
- First book of Indian botany. London, Macmillan, 1907. url p. 293.
- Flora Indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants / by the late William Roxburgh. Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 159.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 298, p. 58, p. 59, p. 60, p. 65.
- Flora medica; a botanical account of all the more important plants used in medicine in different parts of the world. London, Longman, 1838. url p. 313.
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 417, p. XVI.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 254.
- Histology of medicinal plants, New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916 url p. 143, p. 191.
- Histology of medicinal plants, by William Mansfield. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916. url p. 143, p. 191.
- Histology of medicinal plants. New YorkWiley1916 url p. 143, p. 191.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 96.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 94.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 71.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 11, p. 113, p. 172, p. 177.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 103.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 24 1886 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 90.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 24 2004 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url figure 1, p. 119, p. 121, p. 257, p. 271, p. 319, p. 35, p. 81.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 35 1934 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 277.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 570.
- Leaflets of Philippine botany. 3 1910-1911 Manila: Oriental Printing Co., 1906-1939. url p. 767.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 10, p. 11, p. 159, p. 21, p. 34.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 594.
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url , .
- Microbes, ferments and moulds / by E. L. Trouessart. New York: D. Appleton, 1892. url p. 83.
- Microbes, ferments and moulds, New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1886. url .
- Microbes, ferments and moulds. London:Kegan, Paul, Trench, 1886. url p. 83.
- Microbes, ferments and moulds. New York, Appleton, 1890. url p. 83.
- Narrative of a whaling voyage round the globe, from the year 1833 to 1836. Comprising sketches of Polynesia, California, the Indian Archipelago, etc. with an account of southern whales, the sperm whale fishery, and the natural history of the climates visited London, Richard Bentley, 1840 url p. 329.
- Narrative of the circumnavigation of the globe by the Austrian frigate Novara, (Commodore B. von Wullerstorf-Urbair, ): undertaken by order of the imperial government, in the years l857, 1858, & 1859, under the immediate auspices of His I. and R. Highness the Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, Commander-in-Chief of the Aust By Dr. Karl Scherzer. London: Saunders, Otley, 1861-63. url p. 147, p. 530, p. 535.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 216, p. 521.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 117.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 452.
- Notes by a naturalist on the "Challenger", being an account of various observations made during the voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" around the world, in the years 1872-1876, under the commands of Capt. Sir G. S. Nares and Capt. F. T. Thomson. By H. N. Moseley. London, Macmillan and co., 1879. url p. 616.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 16 2006 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url , p. 3.
- Official guide to the museums of economic botany. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1907 url p. 170, p. 171.
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 109.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Hawaii. [1900?- url p. 5.
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 311.
- Phytologia. 13 1966 Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 234, p. 238, p. 283, p. 313, p. 381, p. 442.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 209.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 153, p.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p.
- Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society. Honolulu: Hawaiian Entomological Society url , .
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , p. 239, p. 350, p. 687, p. 688, p. 689, p. 694, p. 695, p. 864.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 316.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 446, p. 466, p. 652.
- Records of the Australian Museum. Sydney: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1890- url p. 166, p. 333.
- Report on the agricultural resources and capabilities of Hawaii. Washington, Govt. Print. off., 1901. url p. 35.
- Report: . .. Washington, Blair & Rives, printers, 1838 url p. 96.
- Roxburgh, W. Flora indica;or, Descriptions of Indian plants, by the late William Roxburgh. Edited by Dr. William Carey; to which are added descriptions of plants more recently discovered by Dr. Nathaniel Wallich. Serampore, Printed at the Mission Press, 1820-24. url p. 161, p. 161.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 153, p. 154.
- Seemann, B. Flora vitiensis: a description of the plants of the Viti or Fiji islands, with an account of their history, uses, and properties /By Berthold Seemann;. .. plates by Walter Fitch. 1865 - 18 London: L. Reeve, 1865-73. url p. 261.
- Spices, by Henry N. Ridley. London, Macmillan, Ltd., 1912. url p. 239.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 148, p. 364.
- Sylva Telluriana. Mantis synopt. New genera and species of trees and shrubs of North America, and other regions of the earth, omitted or mistaken by the botanical authors and compilers, or not properly classified, now By C.S. Rafinesque. Being a supplement to the Flora Telluriana. Philadelphia, Printed for the author and publisher, 1838. url p. 85.
- Sylva telluriana. Mantis synopt. New genera and species of trees and shrubs of North America, and other regions of the earth, omitted or mistaken by the botanical authors and compilers, or not properly classified, now By C. S. Rafinesque. Being a supplement to the Flora telluriana. Philadelphia, Printed for the author and publisher, 1838. url p. 85.
- Sylva telluriana. Mantis. synopt. New genera and species of trees and shrubs of North America, and other regions of the earth, omitted or mistaken by the botanical authors and compilers, or not properly classified, no PhiladelphiaPrinted for the author and publisher1838 url p. 85.
- The American Museum journal. New York: American Museum of Natural History, c1900- url p. 117.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 369, p. 369.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 508.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 220, p. 243.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 52, p. 598, p. 73.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url p. 153.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 138.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 30 1895 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 167, p. 189, p. 22, p. 51.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 4 1845 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 431.
- The North American sylva; or, A description of the forest trees of the United States, Canada and Nova Scotia. Considered particularly with respect to their use in the arts and their introduction into commerce. To which is ad Tr. from the French of F. Andrew Michaux. .. with notes by J. Jay Smith. Philadelphia, Rice, Rutter & co., 1865. url p. 9.
- The Philippine journal of science. 9 1914 Manila. url p. 71.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 117.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 210.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 209, p. 432.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 297, p. 688.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 469.
- The chemical synthesis of vital products and the interrelations between organic compounds / By Raphael Meldola. London: E. Arnold, 1904. url p. 42.
- The coral lands of the Pacific: their peoples and their products. / by H. Stonehewer Cooper London: R. Bentley and Son, 1882 url p. 133.
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 411.
- The indigenous trees of the Hawaiian Islands / by Joseph F. Rock. Honolulu: J.F. Rock; 1913. url p. 34.
- The islands of the Pacific; their peoples and their products by H. Stonehewer Cooper. London: R. Bentley, 1888. url p. 133.
- The microanalysis of powdered vegetable drugs, by Albert Schneider. .. with 237 illustrations Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1921] url p. 418.
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 470.
- The organic constituents of higher plants: their chemistry and interrelationships. With contributions by Ernest Sondheimer. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 46.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 131.
- The plant, a biography in a series of popular lectures / by M.J. Schleiden; translated by Arthur Henfrey. London: H. Bailliere, 1848. url p. 139.
- The sea and its living wonders, London, Longman, Green, & Co.1892. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1700, p. 1701, p. 24.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 178, p. 195.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 236, p. 354, p. 412, p. 99.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 117, p. 206.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 34.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 254.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 6 1901-1905 London. url p. 269, p. 292.
- Travels in New Zealand with contributions to the geography, geology, botany, and natural history of that country / by Ernst Dieffenbach. London: J. Murray, 1843. url p. 91.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 225.
- United States exploring expedition. During the year 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842. Under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N... Philadelphia: Printed by C. Sherman, 1844-74. url p. 84.
- University of Iowa studies in natural history. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1918-1948. url .
- Vegetable technology; a contribution towards a bibliography of economic botany, with a comprehensive subject-index. By Benjamin Daydon Jackson. .. Founded upon the collections of George James Symons, F. R. S. London, Pub. for the Index society, by Longmans, Green & co. [etc.]1882. url p. 94.
- Viti: an account of a government mission to the Vitian or Fijian Islands in the years 1860-61. By Berthold Seemann. . Cambridge, Macmillan & Co., 1862 url p. 324, p. 327.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 236, p. 354.
- Tseng Yung-chien, Chen Pei-shan & Zhu Pei-zhi. 1982. Piperaceae. In: Tseng Yung-chien, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 20(1): 11-78.
- Tseng Yung-chien, Chen Pei-shan & Zhu Pei-zhi. 1982. Piperaceae. In: Tseng Yung-chien, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 20(1): 11-78.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 01, 2008:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2645220
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-18313
- GRIN Nomen Number: 28587
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 18313
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PIME
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 56400
- Yung-chien Tseng, Nianhe Xia & Michael G. Gilbert "Piperaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 110. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Piper". in Flora of North America Vol. 3. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]