Common Names in English:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 51 meters (166 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Juncanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Achnodon arenarius (L.) Link • Achnodonton arenarium (L.) Trin. • Phalaris arenaria (L.) Huds.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Phleum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. alpinum (Alpine Timothy) · P. arenarium (Sand Timothy) · P. bertolonii (Diploid Timothy) · P. graecum (Ballast Timothy) · P. paniculatum (British Timothy) · P. phleoides (Purple-Stem Cat's-Tail) · P. pratense (Cats Tail) · P. pratense bertolonii (Diploid Timothy) · P. pratense nodosum (Common Timothy) · P. pratense pratense (Common Timothy) · P. subulatum (Italian Timothy)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 191.
- A natural history of British grasses / by E.J. Lowe. London: John C. Nimmo, 1891. url p. 21, p. 31, p. 34, p. 35, p. 36.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 196, p. 39.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 170, p. 50.
- A supplement to F. Hamilton Davey's Flora of Cornwall / by Edgar Thurston and Chambré C. Vigurs. Truro: Oscar Blackford, Royal Printeries, 1922. url p. 149.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 307.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 307.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 11, p. 542.
- Augustana Library publications. Rock Island, Ill.: Augustana College and Theological Seminary, 1898-1981. url p. 139.
- Blakeney Point, Norfolk: topography and vegetation / F. W. Oliver and E. J. Salisbury. London: F.T. Smith, 1913. url p. 35, p. 42, p. 43, p. 46, p. 48, p. 56.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 276.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 242, p. 243, p. 279, p. 361, p. 85.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 174.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url , .
- British grasses: an introduction to the study of the Gramineae of Great Britain and Ireland / 1867 London: Reeve & co., 1867 url figure , p. 129, p. 130.
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 311, p. 311, p. 60, p. 60.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url p. 335.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 499.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 122, p. 53.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1918 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 10, p. 11, p. 11, p. 11, p. 11, p. 11, p. 12, p. 12, p. 12, p. 13, p. 14, p. 14, p. 15, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 7 1880 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 125.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 140.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 824.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 824.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 122.
- Chronological history of plants: man's record of his own existence illustrated through their names, uses, and companionship. Boston, Little, Brown & company, 1879. url .
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 320.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 24 1931 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 167, p. 19, p. 480, p. 492.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url .
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 71.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 155, p. 252.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 228.
- Descriptive notes on the topography and vegetation of some localities visited by the excursion in Denmark arranged for the members of l'Association internationale des botanistes, June 22nd-July 3rd, 1 Ed. by the Dansk botanisk forening. København, Dansk botanisk forenings forlag, 1913. url p. 6.
- Flora of Cambridgeshire; or, A catalogue of plants found in the county of Cambridge; with references to former catalogues, and the localities of the rarer species. London, J. Van Voorst, 1860. url , .
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url , , .
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 195, p. 383, p. 457.
- Flora of Middlesex: a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county: with sketches of its Physical Geography and climate and of the progress of Middlesex Botany during the last three centuries. London, R. Hardwicke1869. url p. 348.
- Flora of Middlesex; a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county; with sketches of its physical geography and climate, and of the progress of Middlesex botany during the last three centuries, by Henry Trimen and William T. Thiselton Dyer. With a map. London, Robert Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 348.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 400.
- Flora of the Bristol coal-field. Edited (for the Bristol Naturalists' Society) by James Walter White. .. Bristol, J. Fawn & Son [etc.]1881- url p. 214, p. 229.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain. London, Groombridge, 1857. url .
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url , p. 65.
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 229.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Genesis and development of sand formations on marine coasts, Rock Island, Ill., Augustana Book Concern, Printers, 1910. url .
- Grasses: a handbook for use in the field and laboratory / by H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge: University Press, 1901. url p. 102, p. 186, p. 29, p. 55, p. 7.
- Grasses; a handbook for use in the field and laboratory. By H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge, University Press, 1908. url p. 102, p. 186, p. 188, p. 29, p. 55.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 857, p. 861.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 74.
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. London: Reeve, 1858. url p. 580.
- Handbook of the Torquay flora; comprising the flowering plants and ferns growing in and around Torquay, with their respective habitats. By Robert Stewart, M.R.C.S. London, E. Croydon, Royal Library;1860. url p. 144.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 237.
- Hortus Gramineus Woburnensis; or, An account of the results of experiments on the produce and nutritive qualities of different grasses and other plants used as the food of the more valuable domestic animals; instituted by John, Du London, J. Ridgway, 1824. url p. 65.
- Hortus Kewensis, or, A catalogue of the plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Garden at Kew /by William Aiton. .. 1 1789 London: Printed for George Nicol, Bookseller to his Majesty, 1789. url p. 86.
- Hortus gramineus woburnensis; or, An account of the results of experiments on the produce and nutritive qualities of different grasses and other plants used as the food of the more valuable domestic animals: instituted by John, du By George Sinclair. London: J. Ridgway, 1826. url p. 57, p. 58.
- How to know grasses by the leaves. Edinburgh, D. Douglas[pref. 1890] url p. 51.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 96, p. 98.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 1905 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 102, p. 161, p. 173, p. 179, p. 185, p. 199, p. 247, p. 263, p. 343, p. 359, p. 363, p. 408, p. 48, p. 78, p. 92.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 376.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 45, p. 47, p. 498, p. 500, p. 501, p. 636.
- Manual of British grasses / 1907 London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent,  url figures , p. 12, p. 44.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 355, p. 927.
- Monthly Magazine or British Register (of Politics, Literature and the Belles Lettres) London. url p. 215.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 150.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 150, p. 157, p. 205, p. 235, p. 238, p. 257, p. 327, p. 35, p. 70.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 267.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 267.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 309.
- Preliminary catalog of Anthophyta and Pteridophyta, reported as growing spontaneously within one hundred miles of New York City. New York, 1888. url p. 89.
- Proceedings - Cambridge Philosophical Society. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society [etc.] url p. 208, p. 245.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 251, p. 356, p. 407, p. 466, p. 564, p. 578.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 127, p. 129, p. 138, p. 2.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 86.
- Seaside Divinity / by Robert W. Fraser. With illus. by Henry Noel Humphrey. .. [et al.]. London: J. Hogg and sons, 1861. url p. 154.
- Seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1903-1913. url p. 23, p. 80.
- Sweet's Hortus britannicus: or a catalogue of plants cultivated in the gardens of Great Britain, arranged in natural orders / by Robert Sweet. London: J. Ridgway, 1826. url p. 441.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 191, p. 191.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 112, p. 122, p. 122, p. 175, p. 37.
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url p. 323.
- The Gaelic names of plants (Scottish, Irish, and Manx), collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaeli Glasgow, J. Mackay, 1900. url .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 486.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 185, p. 208, p. 54, p. 84.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 39.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 100.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 21 1886 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 532.
- The Manchester flora: a descriptive list of the plants growing wild within eighteen miles of Manchester, with notices of the plants commonly cultivated in gardens; preceded by an introduction to botany, by L. H. Grindon. London, W. White, 1859. url p. 545.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 11, p. 256, p. 292, p. 314.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 138, p. 14, p. 169, p. 208, p. 210, p. 228, p. 284, p. 325, p. 377, p. 418, p. 651.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1078, p. 565, p. 584, p. 612, p. 757, p. 825.
- The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk / edited by William Page. Folkestone [Kent]: Dawson for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research, 1907-1975. url p. 52.
- The botanical looker-out among the wild flowers of England and Wales, at all seasons, and in the most interesting localities. By Edwin Lees. .. London, Hamilton, Adams & Co., 1851. url p. 6.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 189.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 189.
- The flora of Suffolk a topographical enumeration of the plants of the county, showing the results of former observations and of the most recent researches / by W.M. Hind; assisted by Churchill Babington; with an introductory chapter of the geology, climate and meteorology of Suffolk by Wheelton Hind. London: Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url .
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 140.
- The grasses of Britain / by Richard Parnell; drawn and engraved by the author. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood, 1845. url , , , p. 18, p. 20, p. 23, p. 9.
- The grasses of Great Britain, London, R. Hardwicke url .
- The grasses of Scotland. Edinburgh [etc.]W. Blackwood and Sons, 1842. url , , p. 150, p. 18, p. 20, p. 23.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The quantitative method in biology, London, Longmans, Green & co., 1919 url .
- The quantitative method in biology. Manchester [Eng.]University Press1919 url p. 176.
- The study of plants; an introduction to botany and plant ecology. OxfordClarendon Press1915 url p. 386.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , p. 399.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 89.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 141, p. 396, p. 7.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 6 1901-1905 London. url p. 318, p. 346, p. 352, p. 354.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle: T. & J. Hodgson; 1831-1838. url p. 4.
- Withering, W. A systematic arrangement of British plants: with an easy introduction to the study of botany. 1801 London: Printed for T. Cadell, jun [etc.], 1801. url p. 142.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 17, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 23 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 30, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Hortus Botanicus Sollerensis Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- International Plant Genetic Resources Institute(IPGRI), EURISCO
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Vegetation surveys of coastal shingle in Great Britain
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2661197
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-41064
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:415780-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 28002
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 41064
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PHAR4
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 53509