short, crown usually bearing remnant leaf sheaths
. Stem finely striate
, dichotomously branched above. Leaves petiolate
. Umbels loosely compound
; bracts numerous
or absent; rays numerous or few; bracteoles numerous, rarely few or absent. Calyx teeth short or obsolete
. Petals usually white, occasionally pinkish or purplish, rarely pale
, with a narrow inflexed
low-conic. Fruit ellipsoid
; dorsal ribs filiform
, slightly prominent
, lateral ribs thickened and narrowly winged
to one another; vittae 1 to several in each furrow, 2 to several on commissure
. Seed face
or slightly concave
. Carpophore bipartite
Between 100 and 200 species: Africa, Asia, Europe; 40 species (33 endemic) in China.
The taxonomy of this widespread, heterogeneous genus has long been problematic. The broad circumscription of Peucedanum adopted here includes some 100120 species from many parts of the Old World that are weakly united by basic (especially external) fruit structure. These fruit characters are undoubtedly the result of several lines of convergent evolution, and some authors prefer to recognize several segregate genera and reduce Peucedanum to only 810 Eurasian species based around the nomenclatural type, P. officinale Linnaeus.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Apiales () - Nakai, 1930
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Peucedanum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. franchetii (Peucedanum) · P. officinale (Hog's Fennel) · P. ostruthium (Masterwort) · P. palustre (Hog's Fennel) · P. pastinaca (Wild Parship) · P. praeruptorum var. grande (Peucedanum) · P. sandwicense (Makou) · P. sativum (Wild Parship)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A college text-book of botany: being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany, " / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: Henry Holt and Company1905. url p. 733.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Addison Brown. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1897. url .
- Botany Cambridge, Mass., John Wilson and Son, 1880 url p. 521.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 241, p. 463, p. 928.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 87.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 3, p. 4.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 90.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 11 1906 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 422.
- Elementary studies in insect life, by Samuel J. Hunter. Topeka, Kan., Crane & company, 1902. url p. 340.
- Floral succession in the prairie-grass formation of southeastern South Dakota / by LeRoy Harris Harvey. Chicago: [s.n.], 1908. url p. 90.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url , p. 84.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 240.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray; assisted by specialists in certain groups; with twenty-five plates, illustrating the sedges, grasses, ferns, etc. New York: American Book Company; c1889. url p. 203.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 1083, p. 687.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 240.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 129, p. 144, p. 264, p. 269, p. 434, p. 92.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 597.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. 4 1856 Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 92.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 415.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1320.
- Torrey, J. & A. Gray A flora of North America: containing abridged descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing north of Mexico, arranged according to the natural system /by John Torrey and Asa Gray. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1838-. url p. 628.
- Torrey, J. Report on the United States and Mexican boundary survey: made under the direction of the secretary of the Interior /by William H. Emory, major First Cavalry, and United States commissioner. Washington: C. Wendell, printer, 1857-59. url p. 70.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 138, p. 138, p. 138, p. 60, p. 60, p. 60.
- Watson, S. Botany /by Sereno Watson, aided by Daniel C. Eaton, and others. 5 1871 Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1871. url p. 129.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.