Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Italian:
Elafobosco Erba Renna, Imperatoria Vera
short, crown usually bearing remnant leaf sheaths
. Stem finely striate
, dichotomously branched above. Leaves petiolate
. Umbels loosely compound
; bracts numerous
or absent; rays numerous or few; bracteoles numerous, rarely few or absent. Calyx teeth short or obsolete
. Petals usually white, occasionally pinkish or purplish, rarely pale
, with a narrow inflexed
low-conic. Fruit ellipsoid
; dorsal ribs filiform
, slightly prominent
, lateral ribs thickened and narrowly winged
to one another; vittae 1 to several in each furrow, 2 to several on commissure
. Seed face
or slightly concave
. Carpophore bipartite
Between 100 and 200 species: Africa, Asia, Europe; 40 species (33 endemic) in China.
The taxonomy of this widespread, heterogeneous genus has long been problematic. The broad circumscription of Peucedanum adopted here includes some 100120 species from many parts of the Old World that are weakly united by basic (especially external) fruit structure. These fruit characters are undoubtedly the result of several lines of convergent evolution, and some authors prefer to recognize several segregate genera and reduce Peucedanum to only 810 Eurasian species based around the nomenclatural type, P. officinale Linnaeus.
Flowers: Bloom Period: June, July, August. • Flower Color: cream, near white, tan, white
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,701 meters (0 to 15,423 feet).
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Apiales () - Nakai, 1930
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Imperatoria ostruthia L.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Peucedanum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
P. franchetii (Peucedanum) · P. officinale (Hog's Fennel) · P. ostruthium (Masterwort) · P. palustre (Hog's Fennel) · P. pastinaca (Wild Parship) · P. praeruptorum var. grande (Peucedanum) · P. sandwicense (Makou) · P. sativum (Wild Parship)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A school flora: for the use of elementary botanical classes / by W. Marshall Watts. New York: Longmans, Green, 1910. url p. 73.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 552.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 552.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url .
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 150.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 138.
- Gaelic names of plants (Scottish and Irish) Collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, their uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaelic, Eng EdinburghBlackwood1883 url p. 31.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 6.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 49.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 261.
- Systematic lists illustrative of the Flora, Fauna, Palaeontology, and Archaeology of the North of Ireland / Belfast: Printed for the Club, 1870-1906. url p. 171.
- The British flora medica, or, History of the medicinal plants of Great Britain / by Benjamin H. Barton, and Thomas Castle. London: E. Cox, 1838. url p. 112.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 11 1871 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 310.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 202.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 332.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 319.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 79.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 79.
- The life of John Duncan Scotch weaver and botanist: with sketches of his friends and notices of the times / by William Jolly. London: Kegan Paul, Trench and Co., 1883. url p. 513.
- The organic constituents of higher plants: their chemistry and interrelationships. With contributions by Ernest Sondheimer. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 98.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url p. 9.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 07, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2653064
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-29819
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:846311-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 27463
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 29819
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDAPI1Q020
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: IMOS
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 44033
- Sheh Meng-lan, Mark F. Watson "Peucedanum". in Flora of China Vol 14 Page 182. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 245.200 meters (804.462 feet), Standard Deviation = 441.230 based on 78,410 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]