, rarely shrubby or treelike, often with bulbs, corms, rhizomes, or tubers. Leaves basal or cauline, often narrow, margin
entire or spiny
. Inflorescence a terminal
spike, umbel, raceme
, panicle, or flowers solitary. Flowers bisexual
or zygomorphic, usually subtended by 1 to several spathaceous
involucres. Perianth segments 6, in 2 whorls, free
to form a short tube
, with or without a corona
. Stamens 6, inserted
at perianth throat or at base
of segments; filaments
sometimes basally connate; anther
, mostly introrse
. Ovary inferior, 3-loculed; ovules few to many per locule; placentation axile
. Style slender; stigma capitate or 3-lobed. Fruit a capsule, usually loculicidal, sometimes dehiscing irregularly, rarely a berry. Seeds with endosperm.
More than 100 genera and 1200 species: tropical , subtropical , and temperate regions worldwide; ten genera and 34 species (14 endemic, four introduced ) in China.
. Leaves basal, sessile, linear
. Flowering stem solid. Inflorescences umbellate
, 1- to many flowered; involucres 2. Pedicel often short. Perianth subfunnelform; lobes
, lanceolate or linear. Stamens inserted
of perianth tube; filaments
into a cup
for most of their length
but apically free
versatile, linear. Ovary with many ovules. Style filiform
; stigma capitate, sometimes somewhat 3-lobed to -branched, small. Fruit a capsule, 3-valved, loculicidal. Seeds black, angular.
About 15 species: Mediterranean region to tropical Africa and Asia; one species in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lilianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Liliidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 09-Jul-2004
Members of the genus Pancratium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A contribution to our knowledge of seedlings; by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, & co., ltd., 1892. url p. 596.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, by L.H. Pammel Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch press, 1911. url p. 957.
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 957.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 913.
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 86.
- A systematic treatise on comparative physiology, introductory to the physiology of man / London: Published by John Churchill and Thos. Kaye, 1834. url p. 355.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 875.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 211.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url p. 211.
- Bulbs and their cultivation: a practical treatise on the cultivation and propagation of window and indoor bulbous and tuberous-rooted plants. .. / by T.W. Saunders. London: W.H. & L. Collingridge, [1913?] url p. 141.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 19 1804 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , , p. 42, p. 48, p. 86.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 362.
- Flower grouping in English, Scotch & Irish gardens; notes & 56 sketches in colour, by Margaret Waterfield. .. with contributions by E. V. B., S. Arnott [and others] London: E. P. Dutton & co., 1907. url p. 233.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 829.
- Hand-list of tender momocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. London, Printed for H. M. S. O., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1897. url p. 157.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 193.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 5950.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url , .
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url .
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 608.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , p. 106, p. 116, p. 121, p. 173, p. 190, p. 202, p. 223, p. 231, p. 246, p. 279, p. 341, p. 352, p. 360, p. 387, p. 42, p. 458, p. 462, p. 470, p. 475, p. 517, p. 524, p. 549, p. 550, p. 560, p. 565, p. 568, p. 57.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 14.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 246, p. 504.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1846 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 360, p. 768.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 23.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 14, p. 140, p. 165, p. 18, p. 22, p. 320, p. 385, p. 392, p. 42, p. 436, p. 493, p. 524, p. 654, p. 702, p. 766.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 369, p. 388, p. 440.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 192, p. 217, p. 227, p. 356, p. 7.
- The amateur's greenhouse and conservatory: a handy guide to the construction and management of planthouses, and the selection, cultivation, and improvement of ornamental greenhouse and conservatory plants / by Shirley Hibberd; illustrated with coloured plants and wood engravings. London: Groombridge and Sons, 1873. url p. 244.
- The bulb book; or, Bulbous and tuberous plants for the open air, stove, and greenhouse, containing particulars as to descriptions, culture, propagation, etc., of plants from all parts of the world having bulbs, cor by John Weathers...Illustrated by the author. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 394, p. 395.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 473.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 14, p. 168, p. 343, p. 460, p. 637.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 14, p. 15.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2448.
- The subtropical garden, or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1871. url p. 231.
- The unheated greenhouse, by K. L. Davidson. [London]"Country life, " ltd. [etc.]1907. url p. 246.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 407.
- Villa gardening: a handbook for amateur and practical gardeners / by Edward Hobday. London; MacMillan, 1887. url p. 54.
- Wall and water gardens / by Gertrude Jekyll. [London]: "Country life", [190-?] url p. 175.
- Wall and water gardens. By Gertrude Jekyll. [London]"Country life" url p. 25, p. 27.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 86.
- Qian Xiao-hu, Chen Sing-chi, Hsu Yin, Hu Zhi-bi, Huang Xiu-lan & Fan Quan-jin. 1985. Amaryllidaceae. In: Pei Chien & Ting Chih-tsun, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 16(1): 1--42.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 13, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5847152
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Kew-285920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:66449-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 66447-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 878581
- Zhanhe Ji & Alan W. Meerow "Amaryllidaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 24 Page 264. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Pancratium". in Flora of China Vol. 24 Page 266. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]