Perennial herb. Sun. Height to 24". Space 18" apart.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Burmese:
Common Names in Danish:
Almindelig Merian, Vild Merian
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Greek Oregano, European Oregano, Oregano, Pot Marjoram, True Oregano, Wild Marjoram, Winter Majoram, Wintersweet
Common Names in French:
Marjolaine Bâtarde, Marjolaine Sauvage, Marjolaine Vulgaire, Origan Commun, Origan Sauvage, Origan Vulgaire
Common Names in German:
Brauner Dost, Dost, Falscher Staudenmajoran, Oregano, Wilder Majoran
Common Names in Hindi:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Oregánó, Szurokf, Vadmajoránna
Common Names in Italian:
Maggiorana Volgare, Origano, Origano Commune
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Russian:
Dikii Maioran, Duica Obyknovennaja
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish:
Orégano, Orégano Europeo
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
. Leaves ovate
to oblong-ovate, entire to remotely dentate
. Spikes cylindric
, sometimes elongated in fruit, many flowered, overlapping with small bracts, in corymbose
panicles; bracts and bracteoles green and purple-red, oblong-obovate to lanceolate. Calyx campanulate
13-veined; teeth 5, subtriangular
, apex acute to obtuse
. Corolla white or rose to purple, campanulate, tube
exserted, limb 2-lipped; upper lip straight, emarginate
; lower lip spreading, 3-lobed, middle
larger than lateral
lobes. Stamens 4, shorter to slightly longer
than upper lip in bisexual
2, separated by triangular cuneate connectives
. Style exserted, apex unequally 2-cleft. Nutlets
ovoid, slightly ribbed
, dry, glabrous.
About 15-20 species: primarily in SW and C Asia, one in China.
Species Origanum vulgare
Rhizomes oblique , ± woody. Stems erect or prostrate near base , 25-60 cm, purplish, retrorse pubescent or slightly floccose-pubescent, numerous , leafless near base, lower branches sterile . Petiole 2-7 mm; leaf blade ovate to oblong-ovate, 1-4 × 0.4-1.5 cm, glandular , adaxially shiny green tinged purple, sparsely villous , abaxially densely villous, base broadly cuneate to rounded , margin entire or remotely serrulate , apex obtuse to slightly obtuse. Spikes oblong , ± elongated in fruit; floral leaves mostly sessile, purplish; bracts green or purple, oblong-obovate to obovate or oblanceolate , ca. 5 mm, margin entire, apex acute. Calyx ca. 3 mm, minutely hispid or subglabrous; teeth triangular, ca. 0.5 mm. Corolla purple-red to white, tubular-campanulate, 5-7 mm; tube ca. 5 mm, exserted in bisexual flowers, ca. 3 mm, included in pistillate flowers, sparsely pubescent; upper lip ovate, ca. 1.5 mm, apex 2-lobed; lower lip ca. 2 mm, lobes oblong-ovate. Nutlets brown, ca. 0.6 mm, apex rounded. Fl. Jul-Sep, fr. Oct-Dec. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: June, July, August. • Flower Color: pink
Size: 12-18" tall.
Hills , grasslands, forests ; 500-3600 m. .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 7.6 • Maximum pH: 9.0
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
O. normale D. Don • O. vulgare var. formosanum Hayata. • Origanum creticum Loureiro
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Origanum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 48 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
O. dictamnus (Dittany of Crete) · O. dictamus (Dittany of Crete) · O. laevigatum (Wild Marjoram) · O. laevigatum 'Herrenhausen' (Herrenhausen Ornamental Oregano) · O. laevigatum 'Hopleys' (Hopley's Purple Oregano) · O. laevigatum 'Joanne' (Smooth Oregano 'joanne') · O. laevigatum 'Pilgrim' (Marjoram) · O. laevigatum 'Silver Anniversary' (Marjoram) · O. laevigatum 'Wellsweep' (Marjoram) · O. libanoticum (Oregano) · O. majorana (Knotted Marjoram) · O. maru (Egyptian Marjoram) · O. onites (Cretan Oregano) · O. pulchellum (Showy Oregano) · O. rotundifolium (Oregano) · O. rotundifolium 'Dingle Fairy' (Ornamental Oregano) · O. rotundifolium 'Kent Beauty' (Kent Beauty Oregano) · O. sipyleum (Showy Pink Oregano) · O. syriacum (Bible Hyssop) · O. tournefortii (Tournefort Oregano) · O. tyttanticum (Turkestan Oregano) · O. tytthanthum 'Khirgiztan' (Khirgiztan Oregano) · O. vulgare (Greek Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Aureum' (Golden Oregano) · O. vulgare gracile (Khirgizstan Oregano) · O. vulgare hirtum (Greek Oregano) · O. vulgare prismaticum (Oregano) · O. vulgare var. Hot And Spicy (Oregano) · O. vulgare var. Humile (Creeping Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Country Cream' (Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Dark Leaf' (Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Golden Shine' (Marjoram) · O. vulgare 'Gold Tip' (Variegated Oregano) · O. vulgare subsp. hirtum 'Humile' (Compact Greek Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Hot & Spicy' (Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Jim's Best' (Jim's Best Oregano) · O. vulgare 'Variegata' (Variegated Marjoram) · O. vulgare 'White Anniversary' (Oregano) · O. x majoricum (Hardy Marjoram) · O. 'Barbara Tingey' (Oregano) · O. 'Bristol Cross' (Oregano) · O. 'Hot and Spicy' (Hot and Spicy Oregano) · O. 'Kent Beauty' (Kent Beauty Oregano) · O. 'Norton's Gold' (Oregano) · O. 'Rosenkuppel' (Marjoram) · O. 'Rotkugel' (Ornamental Oregano) · O. 'Santa Cruz' (Ornamental Oregano) · O. 'Thumbles Variety' (Oregano)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 77.
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 333.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and higher cryptogams, both native and introduced, found within about thirty miles of Hanover, N. H., including a few cultivated species, to which is appended a list of vertebrate animals of the same region. By Henry Jesup. [Hanover?]Printed for the Author, 1891. url p. 32.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url , .
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 92.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 97.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 268.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 411.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 200.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 160.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 541.
- A history of Longridge and district. PrestonPrinted by C.W. Whitehead1888 url p. 263, p. 268.
- A manual of botany, based upon the manual of the late Professor Bentley. London, J. & A. Churchill.1895-96. url p. 401.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 642.
- A manual of botany. London, J. & A. Churchill.1895-96. url .
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 610.
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 159, p. 616.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 293.
- A monograph of the British Uredineae and Ustilagineae, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. London, Paul, Trench & Co., 1889. url , .
- A monograph of the British Uredineæ and Ustilagineæ, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. By Charles B. Plowright. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1889. url p. 327.
- A natural history of British moths. .. / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: H. E. Knox, 1871. url p. 110, p. 117, p. 76.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 224, p. 83, p. 85.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 224, p. 83.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 113, p. 128, p. 153, p. 48.
- A practical flora for schools and colleges, by Oliver R. Willis. New York, American Book Co.[c1894] url p. 202.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- A supplement to F. Hamilton Davey's Flora of Cornwall / by Edgar Thurston and Chambré C. Vigurs. Truro: Oscar Blackford, Royal Printeries, 1922. url p. 109.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url , .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 371.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url , p. 100, p. 102, p. 103, p. 113, p. 114, p. 122, p. 129, p. 14, p. 141, p. 163, p. 164, p. 167, p. 171, p. 174, p. 175, p. 176, p. 205, p. 264, p. 272, p. 40, p. 404, p. 406, p. 422, p. 45, p. 473, p. 48, p. 53, p. 531, p. 534, p. 539, p. 54, p. 542, p. 544, p. 578, p. 585, p. 589, p. 74, p. 76, p. 78, p. 81, p. 82.
- Alpine flowers for English gardens / by W. Robinson. London: Murray, 1879. url p. 438.
- American bee journal. Hamilton, Ill., etc., Dadant & Sons url p. 179, p. 180.
- American honey plants; together with those which are of special value to the beekeeper as sources of pollen. Hamilton, Ill., American Bee Journal, 1920. url p. 155.
- American medicinal plants; an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry and physiological effects. By Charles F. Millspaugh. 1887 New York, Boericke & Tafel, c1887. url page 116- 2.
- American medicinal plants;: an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry, and physiological effects. / By Charles F. Millspaugh, . ..; Illustrated by the author. New York; Boericke & Tafel., c1887. url .
- An elementary text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. .. London: S. Sonnenschein & co., lim.;1898. url p. 563.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 388, p. 51.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 648, p. 652.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 140.
- An introduction to the study of botany, including a treatise on vegetable physiology, and descriptions of the most common plants in the middle and northern states. By J.L. Comstock. .. New York, Pratt, Woodford, Farmer & Brace, 1856 [c1854] url p. 389.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 193, p. 193, p. 229, p. 243, p. 248, p. 248, p. 294, p. 345, p. 563, p. 63, p. 89, p. 97.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 79.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 604.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url , p. 12, p. 18.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 183.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 6.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 126, p. 39, p. 54.
- Annual reports of the Department of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., [1894?]-1924. url p. 209.
- Anzeiger der Kaiserlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Classe. Wien: Der Akademie, 1864-1914. url p. 162.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for those engaged in the morphological and physiolo by Henry Kraemer. Illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. New York, Wiley[c1916] url p. 679.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 103, p. 304, p. 7.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 17, p. 18, p. 63, p. 80.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 231, p. 377, p. 390, p. 392.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 358, p. 443, p. 460, p. 47.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url , p. 135, p. 175, p. 92.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , p. 125, p. 156, p. 224, p. 27, p. 36, p. 41, p. 90.
- British plant-galls; a classified text book of cecidology, London, Methuen & co. ltd. url .
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 272, p. 327, p. 327, p. 329, p. 329.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url p. 296.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 183, p. 34, p. 8.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 217, p. 333.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1919 1919 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 107, p. 108, p. 21, p. 319.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 21, p. 33.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 153, p. 201, p. 220, p. 263.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 7 1880 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 125, p. 48, p. 642, p. 677, p. XIV.
- Butterflies and moths (British) by W. Furneaux. .. London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1894. url p. 275.
- Butterflies of the Riviera. A short account of the Rhopalocera of the Maritime Alps. Nice, Printed by P. Conso, 1892. url p. 111, p. 46.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 242, p. 244, p. 83.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , .
- Cassell's dictionary of practical gardening; an illustrated encyclopædia of practical horticulture for all classes; ed. by Walter P. Wright. London, Cassell and company, limited, 1902. url p. 231.
- Cassell's popular gardening. London, Cassell & company, limited[1884-86] url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 217.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 383, p. 383.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 363.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 363.
- Catalogue of the Hanbury Herbarium, in the Museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain / compiled by E.M. Holmes. London: Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 1892. url p. 92.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 103, p. 104, p. 292.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 340.
- Chapters on the common things of the sea-coast. By Anne Pratt. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge, 1856. url p. 3.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 73.
- Class-book of botany: being outlines of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / by Alphonso Wood. New York: A.S. Barnes & Co.; 1874, c1869. url p. 547.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 364, p. 399, p. 400, p. 402, p. 403, p. 404, p. 405.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url p. 195.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 21 1919 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 245, p. 273, p. 405, p. 457, p. 466, p. 469, p. 557.
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 40.
- Contributions to the flora of Mentone, and to a winter flora of the Riviera, including the coast from Marseilles to Genoa, by J. Traherne Moggridge. .. London: L. Reeve, 1871. url p. 266, p. 428.
- Culinary herbs; their cultivation, harvesting, curing and uses, by M. G. Kains. New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 101.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1173, p. 1467.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 162, p. 323, p. 324.
- Descriptive notes on the topography and vegetation of some localities visited by the excursion in Denmark arranged for the members of l'Association internationale des botanistes, June 22nd-July 3rd, 1 Ed. by the Dansk botanisk forening. København, Dansk botanisk forenings forlag, 1913. url p. 21.
- Dictionary of arts, manufactures, and mines containing a clear exposition of their principles and practice by Robert Hunt, assisted by F.W. Rudler. London, Longmans, 1875-78. url p. 546.
- Dictionary of the common names of plants with list of foreign plants cultivated in the open / by Rudolf Marloth. Cape Town: Specialty Press of South Africa, 1917. url p. 157.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url , , .
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 31.
- English plant names from the tenth to the fifteenth century by John Earle. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1880. url .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 661.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 124.
- Field and woodland plants / by W. S. Furneaux. London; Longmans, Green, and Co., 1909 url p. 231.
- Field and woodland plants, by W.S. Furneaux. With 8 plates in colour, and numerous illustrations by Patten Wilson, and photographs from nature by the author. London, Longmans, Green, 1911. url p. 231.
- Flora indica: being a systematic account of the plants of British India, together with observations on the structure and affinities of their natural orders and genera. London, W. Pamplin, 1855. url .
- Flora montana formosae; an enumeration of plants found on Mt. Morrison, the central chain and other mountainous regions of Formosa at altitudes of 3, 000-13, 000 ft. By B. Hayata. Tokyo, The University, 1908. url p. 182, p. 23, p. 27.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, 1922. url p. 322.
- Flora of Cambridgeshire; or, A catalogue of plants found in the county of Cambridge; with references to former catalogues, and the localities of the rarer species. London, J. Van Voorst, 1860. url .
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url , , .
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 223.
- Flora of Derbyshire: flowering plants, higher cryptogams, mosses and hepatics, Characeae. London, Bemrose & Sons Ltd., 1903. url p. 12.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 147.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 270.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 415.
- Flora of Sussex; or a list of the flowering plants & ferns found in the county of Sussex, with localities of the less common species. London, Simpkin [et al.]1907. url p. 82.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 245.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 331.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 539.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url p. 639.
- Florula Mortolensis. An enumeration of the plants growing wild at La Mortola. Ventimiglia, Billi, 1905. url .
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 174.
- Flowers and ferns in their haunts, by Mabel Osgood Wright with illustrations from photographs by the author and J. Horace McFarland. London, The Macmillan company, 1901. url p. 459.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp; New York, Harper & Brothers, 1899. url .
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 352, p. 542.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 187.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 336.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 13.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 57.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 10, p. 11.
- Geology of Clydesdale and Arran: embracing also the marine zoology and the flora of Arran, with complete list of species, notes on the rarer insects of Arran, and notices of its scenery and antiquities / by James Bryce. London: R. Griffin, 1859. url p. 168.
- Gray's school and field book of botany, consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray... New York: American Book co.,  url p. 249.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1305, p. 544.
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 226.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 263.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 244, p. 265, p. 268.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , .
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. .. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin. ..entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url .
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 178, p. 188, p. 195, p. 216, p. 229, p. 258, p. 263, p. 99.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 540.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 233.
- How to keep bees for profit, New York, The Macmillan company, 1918. url p. 317.
- Icones plantarum formosanarum nec non et contributiones ad floram formosanam; or, Icones of the plants of Formosa, and materials for a flora of the island, based on a study of the collections of the Botanical survey of the Government of Formosa. By B. Hayata. .. Taihoku, Pub. by the Bureau of Productive Industry, Government of Formosa, 1911-1921. url p. 102.
- Illustrated natural history of British butterflies and moths; the figures drawn by George Willis and engraved by John Kirchner. London, Glaisher, pref. 1869. url p. 122, p. 126.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Index of British plants according to the London catalogue... London: G. Bell, 1889. url p. 52, p. 93.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 245.
- Irish ethno-botany and the evolution of medicine in Ireland. Dublin, M. H. Gill, 1919. url , , p. 37, p. 94.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 563.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 115, p. 12, p. 125, p. 141, p. 147, p. 149, p. 149, p. 150, p. 160, p. 161, p. 172, p. 179, p. 182, p. 229, p. 23, p. 236, p. 253, p. 255, p. 273, p. 282, p. 292, p. 314, p. 317, p. 325, p. 33, p. 337, p. 340, p. 341, p. 345, p. 360, p. 372, p. 38, p. 38, p. 394, p. 394, p. 47, p. 59, p. 63, p. 92.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 11 1991 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 109, p. 99.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 297, p. 451, p. 688.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 189.
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 62, p. 70, p. 71.
- Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by. .. Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1872 [c1868] url p. 249.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 508.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 280.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 145, p. 203, p. 206, p. 313, p. 439, p. 481, p. 60, p. 76.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 56.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , p. 105, p. 126, p. 128, p. 132, p. 150, p. 84.
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 255.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, arranged according to the natural system / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1867. url p. 348.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 800.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 341, p. 605.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 10, p. 11, p. 113, p. 14, p. 152, p. 155, p. 37.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , p. 154, p. 98.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 37.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 280, p. 298, p. 491.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 229, p. 253, p. 287, p. 47.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 12, p. 17, p. 18.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 50.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 100, p. 11, p. 47.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 134, p. 139, p. 144, p. 157, p. 165, p. 166, p. 196, p. 197, p. 198, p. 199, p. 199, p. 200, p. 200, p. 201, p. 203, p. 204, p. 205, p. 206, p. 221, p. 237, p. 241, p. 245, p. 25, p. 258, p. 281, p. 290, p. 305, p. 314, p. 379.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 353.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 353.
- On British wild flowers considered in relation to insects / by Sir John Lubbock; with numerous illustrations. London; Macmillan, 1890. url p. 161.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 69.
- On the popular names of British plants, being an explanation of the origin and meaning of the names of our indigenous and most commonly cultivated species. By R. C. A. Prior. London: Williams and Norgate, 1870. url p. 170.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 127.
- Permanent and temporary pastures, London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent, 1911. url .
- Pharmazeutische Waarenkunde, von Dr. Otto Berg. Berlin, R. Gaertner, 1863. url p. 266.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 469.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 101, p. 189, p. 199, p. 297, p. 35, p. 46, p. 51, p. 56, p. 60.
- Pittonia: a series of papers relating to botany and botanists /by Edward L. Greene. 1 1887-1889 Berkeley, Calif. [etc.]: Doxey & Co. [etc.], 1887-1905. url p. 180, p. xi.
- Plant lore, legends, and lyrics. Embracing the myths, traditions, superstitions, and folk-lore of the plant kingdom. By Richard Folkard, jun. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, and Rivington, 1884. url p. 55.
- Plants of the Punjab: a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province, and Kashmir / by C.J. Bamber. Lahore: Supt. Govt. Printing, Punjab, 1916. url p. 176, p. 208.
- Plants of the Punjab; a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province and Kashmir. LahorePrinted by The Superintendent Government Printing1916 url p. 208.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 60.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 210.
- Popular science news, formerly Boston journal of chemistry. A popular illustrated monthly devoted to the progress in zoology, botany, mineralogy, archaeology, hygiene, invention, with related physical sciences and general v. 1-36; July 1866-Dec. 1902. Boston, J.R. Nichols & co. [etc.]1866-; New York, W. O. Allison [etc., 1894]-1902. url p. 102.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 181, p. 182, p. xxviii.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 101, p. xxviii.
- Practical botany, structural and systematic, the latter portion being an analytical key to the wild flowering plants, trees, shrubs, ordinary herbs, sedges and grasses of the northern and middle United States east of t New York, H. Holt and Company, 1876. url .
- Practical guide to the wild flowers and fruits by George Lincoln Walton. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1909. url p. 135.
- Practical hints respecting moths and butterflies, with notices of their localities: forming a calendar of entomological operations throughout the year, in pursuit of Lepidoptera / by Richard Shield. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 181, p. 181, p. 41, p. 41.
- Price list of chemical and bacteriological apparatus, chemicals and reagents manufactured and sold by Baird [and] Tatlock (London) Ltd. London, Baird [and] Tatlock, 1914. url p. 1067.
- Prince's select catalogue of the unrivaled collection of roses, carnations, chrysanthemums, phlox, iris, double sweet williams, hollyhocks: and other herbaceous flowering plants, Linn©an Botanic Gardens and Nurseries, Flushing, Long Island, N.Y. / William R. Prince & Co. New York: Baker and Godwin, 1857. url p. 43.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url , , p. 117, p. 129, p. 15, p. 20, p. 28, p. 62, p. 7, p. 74, p. 77, p. 79, p. 79.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 457.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 168, p. 24, p. 288.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 250.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 21, p. 93.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 121, p. 50, p. 51.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 465, p. 668.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 222.
- Rambles in search of wild flowers, and how to distinguish them. London, Journal of horticulture and cottage gardener, 1864. url p. 223.
- Rambles of a naturalist round Folkestone: with occasional papers on the fauna and flora of the district, to which are added lists of plants, lepidoptera, birds, and land and freshwater shells / by Henry Ullyett. Folkestone: J. English, 1880. url p. 135.
- Report and Transactions of the Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists Glasgow:Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists, 1873-77. url p. 186.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, Office of the Regents, 1871-1888 url p. 126, p. 126, p. 29, p. 39, p. 54.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 174.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 188.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , , , , p. 12, p. 18, p. 34, p. 8.
- Report on the introduction and distribution of seeds and plants by the Bureau of Agriculture. By William S. Lyon. .. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903. url .
- Science papers, chiefly pharmacological and botanical. By Daniel Hanbury. .. Ed., with memoir, by Joseph Ince. .. London, Macmillan, 1876. url p. 353, p. 534.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 184, p. 41.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray / selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, 1889. url p. 223, p. 395.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 223, p. 395.
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 37.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 341, p. 342, p. 612.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 217, p. 380, p. 382.
- Select plants (exclusive of timber trees) readily eligible for Victorian industrial culture with indications of their native countries and some of their uses; an enumeration / offered by Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: s.n., 1872 url p. 93.
- Settler's guide and farmer's handbook. .. Issued by direction of the Bureau of agriculture. Ed. by L. Lindley-Cowen. .. pt. 1. Perth, E.S. Wigg, 1897- url p. 570.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 53.
- Spices and condiments / by James B. McNair, Asst. Curator of Economic Botany. Chicago:Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 34, p. 35.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 281.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 397.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 111, p. 177, p. 37, p. 41, p. 56, p. 99.
- The British Tortrices / by S.J. Wilkinson. London: John van Voorst, 1859. url p. 320.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 444.
- The British rust fungi (Uredinales) their biology and classification, Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url .
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 196.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 62 1948 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 195, p. 448, p. 734, p. 88.
- The Coleoptera of the British islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. / by the Rev. W. W. Fowler. London: L. Reeve & co., 1887-1913. url p. 155.
- The Entomologist's annual. London: John Van Voorst, 1855-1874. url p. 39, p. 53, p. 76, p. 85, p. 89.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , , p. 12, p. 136, p. 137, p. 19, p. 190, p. 237, p. 75, p. 77.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 103, p. 117, p. 152, p. 168, p. 183, p. 213, p. 248, p. 3, p. 332, p. 45.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url , , p. 177, p. 248, p. 26, p. 52.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 407.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 130, p. 196, p. 199, p. 204, p. 336, p. 336, p. 388, p. 396, p. 452, p. 68.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 105, p. 126, p. 128, p. 176, p. 196, p. 222, p. 274, p. 274, p. 280, p. 281, p. 349, p. 575, p. 62, p. 76, p. 79.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 105, p. 138.
- The IUCN Invertebrate Red Data Book IUCN url p. 453.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 128, p. 150, p. 174, p. 177, p. 185, p. 186, p. 187, p. 188, p. 222, p. 23, p. 270, p. 31, p. 321, p. 34, p. 35, p. 8, p. 9.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 157, p. 164, p. 439, p. 49, p. 96.
- The Journal of microscopy and natural science. [London: W. P. Collins, 1884- url p. 266.
- The Journal of pharmacology. New York: Alumni Association of the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York, 1897- url .
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 1090, p. 807.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 182, p. 25.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 35 1901-04 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 137, p. 217, p. 282, p. 600, p. 698.
- The Manchester flora: a descriptive list of the plants growing wild within eighteen miles of Manchester, with notices of the plants commonly cultivated in gardens; preceded by an introduction to botany, by L. H. Grindon. London, W. White, 1859. url p. 251.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url .
- The Naturalist. 1898 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 108, p. 110, p. 198, p. 233, p. 28, p. 292, p. 320, p. 36, p. 51, p. 58, p. 59.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 181, p. 81.
- The Pliocene floras of the Dutch-Prussian border, 's-Gravenhage, M. Nijhoff, 1915. url , .
- The Quarterly journal of science. London: J. Churchill and Sons, etc., 1864-1879. url p. 569.
- The Romance of wild flowers: a companion to the British flora / by Edward Step. London; Warne, 1899. url p. 275.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 124, p. 140, p. 482.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 310.
- The Shakespeare garden, New YorkThe Century co.1922 url p. 236, p. 332.
- The Shakespeare garden, by Esther Singleton, with numerous illustrations from photographs and reproductions of old wood cuts. New York, Century, 1922. url p. 236, p. 332.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 48.
- The book of herbs / London; J. Lane, 1903. url .
- The book of herbs / by Lady Rosalind Northcote. London; John Lane: The Bodley Head, MCMIII . url p. 31.
- The book of vegetables and garden herbs; a practical handbook and planting table for the vegetable gardener, by Allen French. London: The Macmillan company, 1907. url p. 157, p. 309.
- The butterflies of the eastern United States and Canada: with special reference to New England / By Samuel Hubbard Scudder. Cambridge: The author, 1889. url p. 1524, p. 1948.
- The coleoptera of the British Islands, a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. London, Reeve, 1887-91. url p. 155.
- The continental element in the flora of south Sweden by Rikard Sterner. Stockholm: Centraltryckeriet, 1922. url p. 340, p. 432, p. 439.
- The different forms of flowers on plants of the same species. New York, D. Appleton, 1903. url .
- The diseases of horses: their pathology, diagnosis and treatment; to which is added, a complete dictionary of equine "materia medica." / by Hugh Dalziel. London: L. Upcott Gill, [191-?] url p. 94.
- The effects of cross and self fertilisation in the vegetable kingdom. LondonJ. Murray1916 url , p. 240, p. 292, p. 301, p. 329, p. 483, p. 63, p. 94.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 475.
- The field and garden vegetables of America: containing full descriptions of nearly eleven hundred species and varieties; with directions for propagation, culture, and use. By Fearing Burr, Jr.. .. 1863 Boston, Crosby and Nichols, 1863. url p. 427.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url p. 296.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 155, p. 395.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 136.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of the Alps: being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. New York: Truslove & Comba, 1898. url p. 99.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, London, J. C. Nimmo, 1896-1900. url .
- The flora of the upper Susquehanna and its tributaries / by WJillard Nelson Clute. Binghamton, N.Y.: W.N. Clute, 1898. url p. 86.
- The flowering plants of Western India. London, W. H. Allen url p. 260.
- The flowering plants, grasses, sedges, & ferns of Great Britain and their allies, the club mosses, horsetails, etc. London, F. Warne, 1905. url .
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom, height and cultivation of all desirable, hardy herbaceous perennials for the formal or wild garden with additional lists of aquatics, vines, ferns, et by Mabel Cabot Sedgwick assisted by Robert Cameron with over two hundred half-tone engravings from photographs of growing plants, and a chart in colors. New York, F.A. Stokes Co.,  url .
- The geology of Arran and the other Clyde islands with an account of the botany, natural history, and antiquities, notices of the scenery and an itinerary of the routes, by James Bryce. .. GlasgowW. Collins, sons, and company, 1872. url p. 244.
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 404, p. 404.
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 404.
- The home garden book of herbs and spices / by Milo Miloradovich. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday & Co., c1952. url p. 101, p. 189.
- The lepidopterist's calendar. Gloucester, H. Marsden, 1875. url p. 114, p. 187, p. 210, p. 52, p. 80.
- The life of John Duncan Scotch weaver and botanist: with sketches of his friends and notices of the times / by William Jolly. London: Kegan Paul, Trench and Co., 1883. url p. 516.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton / by the Rev. Gilbert White London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1888 url .
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun by F. W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. London, Blackie, 1894-1895. url p. 313, p. 316.
- The natural history of the Tineina. .. By H. T. Stainton, assisted by Professor Zeller and J. W. Douglas. London, J. Van Voorst; [etc., etc.]1855-73. url , p. 288, p. 289, p. 290, p. 294, p. 295, p. 30, p. 30, p. 31, p. 8, p. 9.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 132.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 171, p. 254, p. 275, p. 325, p. 325, p. 349, p. 366, p. 368, p. 403.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 235.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 226.
- The scented garden / by Eleanour Sinclair Rohde. London: Medici Society, [19--] url p. 310.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url , p. 1473, p. 2406, p. 911.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , , p. 143, p. 156, p. 349, p. 47, p. 59, p. 66.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url , , , , .
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 639.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 118, p. 139, p. 14, p. 309, p. 51.
- Transactions and journal of proceedings / Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History & Antiquarian Society. Dumfries: Council of the Society, url p. 33.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 131, p. 245, p. 299, p. 299, p. 88.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 91.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 139.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 5 1896 London. url p. 196, p. 197, p. 483.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 77.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 175, p. 40, p. 44, p. 8, p. 91.
- Types of British vegetation, Cambridge, University Press, 1911. url , .
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 118, p. 74.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 118, p. 146, p. 15, p. 74, p. 90.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. 10 1966 München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 181.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 187.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Flora of the Stołowe Mts.
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, Justus-Liebig-Universitat Giessen
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3874994
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32632
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:52174-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 25913
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32632
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDLAM1C010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ORVU
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 52706
- "Origanum". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 232. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Origanum vulgare". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 233. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 227.610 meters (746.752 feet), Standard Deviation = 302.810 based on 9,745 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]