Common Names in English:
Berglelie, Guernsey Lily, Red Nerine
, rarely shrubby or treelike, often with bulbs, corms, rhizomes, or tubers. Leaves basal or cauline, often narrow, margin
entire or spiny
. Inflorescence a terminal
spike, umbel, raceme
, panicle, or flowers solitary. Flowers bisexual
or zygomorphic, usually subtended by 1 to several spathaceous
involucres. Perianth segments 6, in 2 whorls, free
to form a short tube
, with or without a corona
. Stamens 6, inserted
at perianth throat or at base
of segments; filaments
sometimes basally connate; anther
, mostly introrse
. Ovary inferior, 3-loculed; ovules few to many per locule; placentation axile
. Style slender; stigma capitate or 3-lobed. Fruit a capsule, usually loculicidal, sometimes dehiscing irregularly, rarely a berry. Seeds with endosperm.
More than 100 genera and 1200 species: tropical , subtropical , and temperate regions worldwide; ten genera and 34 species (14 endemic, four introduced ) in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: September. • Flower Color: mauve , pink, rose
Size: 18-24" tall.
Culture: Space 6-9" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Asparagales () - Bromhead, 1838
- Superorder: Lilianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Liliidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Amaryllis Sarniensis • Amaryllis sarniensis L.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 09-Jul-2004
Members of the genus Nerine
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
N. bowdenii (Guernsey Lily) · N. filifolia (Guernsey Lily) · N. flexuosa 'Alba' (White Nerine) · N. krigei (Nerine) · N. masoniorum (Masons Nerine Nerine Masoniorum) · N. sarniensis (Berglelie) · N. sarniensis var. corusca 'Major' (Berglelie) · N. sarniensis 'Baghdad' (Berglelie) · N. sarniensis 'Rose Emperor' (Berglelie) · N. undulata (Nerine)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biochemic basis for the study of problems of taxonomy, heredity, evolution, etc., with especial reference to the starches and tissues of parent-stock and hybrid-stocks and the starches and hemoglobi Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1919 url p. 225, p. 4, p. 481, p. 508, p. 65.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 59, p. 92.
- A history of gardening in England, by Evelyn Cecil (Alicia Amherst) London, J. Murray, 1910. url p. 268.
- An illustrated encyclopaedia of gardening, by Walter P. Wright London, J. M. Dent & sons, ltd.; url p. 175.
- Beautiful flowers and how to grow them, by Horace J. Wright & Walter P. Wright. Illustrated with 32 plates in full colours from paintings by Beatrice Parsons, Eleanor Fortesque Brickdale, Hugh L. Norris, Margaret Waterfield, A. Fairfax Muck 1922 Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, ltd., 1922. url p. 36.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 237, p. 329.
- Botany for academies and colleges: consisting of plant development and structure from seaweed to clematis, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott company, 1889. url .
- Bulb propagation and trade study WWF url p. 59.
- Bulbs and tuberous-rooted plants: their history, description, methods of propagation and complete directions for their successful culture in the garden, dwelling and greenhouse / by C.L. Allen. New York: O. Judd, 1919. url p. 21.
- Bulbs and tuberous-rooted plants; their history, description, methods of propagation and complete directions for their successful culture in the garden, dwelling and greenhouse, by C.L. Allen. New York: Orange Judd Co., 1893. url p. 21.
- Bulbs: a treatise on hardy and tender bulbs and tubers. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr. Boston, J. E. Tilton, 1866. url p. 212.
- Bulbs; a treatise on hardy and tender bulbs and tubers. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr.. .. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1884. url p. 212.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 4 1900 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 275.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 148, p. 507, p. 509, p. 511.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 118.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 186.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 1-130 1906 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url p. xii.
- Dictionary of the common names of plants with list of foreign plants cultivated in the open / by Rudolf Marloth. Cape Town: Specialty Press of South Africa, 1917. url p. 140, p. 37.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 81.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 31.
- Flowers and the flower garden. With instructions on the culture of ornamental trees, shrubs, &c., &c. By Elizabeth Watts. .. London, F. Warne & Co., 1867. url p. 114.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 374, p. 462.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E. T. Cook. New York, Charles Scribner's sons, 1901. url p. 166.
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 260.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 260.
- Hand-list of tender momocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. London, Printed for H. M. S. O., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1897. url p. 155.
- Hand-list of tender monocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. 1897. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode1897 url p. 155.
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalised in the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. London, L. Reeve, 1908. url p. 452.
- Home floriculture; a familiar guide to the treatment of flowering and other ornamental plants in the house and garden. By Eben E. Rexford. New York, Orange Judd company, 1903. url p. 196.
- Horticultural register, and gardener's magazine. Boston, G. D. Barrett [etc.] url p. 314, p. 368.
- How to make a flower garden; a manual of practical information and suggestions. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1903. url p. 344, p. 344.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 29 1928 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 261, p. 298, p. 409.
- Lilies, being one of a series of flower monographs, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1913. url p. 102.
- Natal plants: Descriptions and figures of Natal indigenous plants, with notes on their distribution, economic value, native names, &c., / by J. Medley Wood and Maurice S. Evans. Published under the auspices of Nat Durban: Bennett & Davis, Printers, 1898-1912. url .
- Natal plants: descriptions and figures of Natal indigenous plants, with notes on their distribution economic value, native names, etc., etc. / By J. Medley Wood and Maurice S. Evans. Durban: Bennett & Davis, 1899 (i.e. 1898)-1912. url p. 56.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 3 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 101, p. 426, p. 428, p. 442.
- On the popular names of British plants, being an explanation of the origin and meaning of the names of our indigenous and most commonly cultivated species. By R. C. A. Prior. London: Williams and Norgate, 1870. url p. 99.
- Our South African flora = Ons Suid-Afrikaanse plantegroei / Cape Town, Cape Times, 19 url , .
- Popular garden flowers: anemones, asters, begonias. .. [et al.] by Walter P. Wright. New York: Doubleday Page, 1911. url p. 260.
- Popular garden flowers; anemones: asters: begonias: carnations: chrysanthemums: crocuses: daffodils: dahlias: geraniums: gladioli: hollyhocks: hyacinths: irises: lilies: pansies: phloxes: primulas: sweet peas: stocks: tulips by Walter P. Wright. London: G. Richards ltd.,  url .
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 277.
- Report of the South African Association for the Advancement of Science. Cape Town: The Association, -1908. url p. 218.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1170, p. 1195, p. 1219, p. 1243, p. 1267, p. 14, p. 216, p. 51.
- The American flower garden directory: containing practical directions for the culture of plants, in the hot-house, garden-house, flower garden and rooms and parlours, for every month in the year. .. Instructions for erecting a hot-house, By Hibbert and Buist. Philadelphia: E.L. Carey & A. Hart, 1834. url p. 274.
- The American gardener's magazine and register of useful discoveries and improvements in horticulture and rural affairs. Boston: Printed for Russell, Shattuck & Williams, & Hovey & Co., 1835- url p. 396, p. 419.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url , p. 284.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1142, p. 35, p. 945.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 213, p. 224, p. 226, p. 233, p. 241, p. 258, p. 273, p. 288, p. 295, p. 3, p. 311, p. 326, p. 330, p. 334, p. 354, p. 355, p. 355, p. 367, p. 382, p. 414, p. 415, p. 416, p. 42, p. 429, p. 43, p. 449, p. 45, p. 479, p. 483, p. 572, p. 75, p. 89.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 712.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 117, p. 152, p. 167, p. 178, p. 180, p. 240, p. 243, p. 300, p. 302, p. 314, p. 321, p. 324, p. 336, p. 346, p. 368, p. 381, p. 41, p. 42, p. 439, p. 442, p. 442, p. 496, p. 497, p. 498, p. 501, p. 592, p. 675, p. 677, p. 760, p. 766, p. 779, p. 89.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 372, p. 383, p. 426, p. 428.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 228, p. 228, p. 261, p. 511, p. 567, p. 576.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 643.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The florist, fruitist, and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1852- url , p. 172.
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1878, p. 2136, p. 2137, p. 3597.
- Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. 14 1904 Cape Town, : The Society. url p. 338.
- Window and parlor gardening; a guide for the selection, propagation and care of house-plants. New York, Scribner's, 1895. url p. 91.
- Qian Xiao-hu, Chen Sing-chi, Hsu Yin, Hu Zhi-bi, Huang Xiu-lan & Fan Quan-jin. 1985. Amaryllidaceae. In: Pei Chien & Ting Chih-tsun, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 16(1): 1--42.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 04, 2007:
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5845815
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Kew-282170
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:66342-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 66342-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 756491