Fern native to Hawaii and widespread in the tropics with erect tufts of stiff, once pinnate fronds 2-5 feet long and 3-6 inches broad on a short vertical stem. The spore bearing cases (sporangia) are in circular clusters (sori) distributed in a row near each edge of the underside of leaflets .
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in English:
Boston Fern, Boston Sword Fern, Boston Swordfern, Curly Boston Fern, Fluffy Ruffle Fern, Kupukupu, Lace fern, Sword Fern, Wild Boston Fern
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
, epiphytic, or on rock. Stems ascending
, bearing wiry stolons and sometimes underground tubers. Leaves monomorphic
not swollen; vascular bundles
more than 3, arranged in an arc, ± round
. Blade narrowly elliptic
to linear-lanceolate, 1-pinnate (to 4--5-pinnate in various cultivated forms), very gradually reduced distally to minute pinnatifid
apex, often seemingly indeterminate with apex never expanded, herbaceous to papery
. Pinnae articulate
to rachis, sometimes deciduous, segment (pinna) margins
, or biserrate
pinnae (usually several pairs) slightly to greatly reduced, sessile, equilateral
with basiscopic base excised and often an acroscopic
; costae adaxially grooved
not continuous from rachis to costae; indument
of linear-lanceolate scales
and sometimes multicellular
and sometimes adaxial
surfaces. Veins free
. Sori ± round; indusia round-reniform and with deep sinus
to semicircular with broad sinus or lunate
without sinus and seemingly laterally attached, persistent
. Spores brownish, tuberculate
Species 25--30: widespread in tropical areas.
Nephrolepis often has veins ending in hydathodes and whitish lime-dots adaxially.
Cultivars of Nephrolepis occasionally are found in the wild, where they persist for some time. Numerous forms of N. exaltata cv. `Bostoniensis' and its derivatives are widely cultivated, and the following are known from Florida: N. exaltata cv. `Bostoniensis', N. exaltata cv. `Elegantissima' complex , N. exaltata cv. `Florida Ruffles', N. exaltata cv. `M. P. Mills'.
Species Nephrolepis exaltata
, concolored. Tubers absent. Leaves 4--15 ×
0.5--1.2 dm. Petiole
0.2--4 dm, sparsely to moderately scaly
brown to reddish brown, concolored. Blade
sparsely to moderately scaly abaxially near costae and adaxially.
Rachis 2.4--16.3 dm, points
of pinna attachment 7.3--21 mm apart;
scales moderately spaced, pale to dark brown, essentially concolored
indistinctly paler; hairs
absent. Central pinnae deltate-oblong,
slightly to distinctly falcate
, 2.3--7.4 × 0.6--1.8 cm, base
to truncate-auriculate or auriculate
, occasionally overlapping
deltate to acute, margins serrulate
acute to deltate; costae adaxially glabrous. Indusia reniform
horseshoe-shaped, attached at narrow or broad sinus
, 1--1.7 mm wide.
Nephrolepis exaltata is occasionally found farther north in the flora , but only as an escape from cultivation. Nephrolepis exaltata is usually confused with N. cordifolia when sterile ; the latter species can be distinguished by its distinctly bicolored , adaxial rachis scales. These bicolored scales will distinguish N. cordifolia from all of the other species, even in the absence of other key features. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: n/a • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none
Foliage: Gorgeous foliage with ruffled edges .
Growth Rate: Fast. • Size: 24-36" tall.
Care: Cat-safe. Dog-safe. Feed lightly as new growth appears. Protect from frost.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,037 meters (0 to 9,964 feet).
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 6.0
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Bright indirect or filtered light.
Moisture: Water Requirements: Keep evenly moist but not soggy at all times. Loves to be misted.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, Nom. Nud.
- Cronquist et al., 1966
- Link, 1833
- Schott, 1834
- Boston fern [Greek nephros, kidney, and lepis, scale, in reference to shape of the indusia]
- Specific epithet:
- (L.) Schott
up to the publication of Icones
- Botanical name: - Nephrolepis exaltata (L.) Schott
- Form: l literature up to the publication of Icones
- Specific epithet: exaltata - (L.) Schott
- Genus: Nephrolepis () - Schott, 1834 - Boston fern [Greek nephros, kidney, and lepis, scale, in reference to shape of the indusia]
- Family: Lomariopsidaceae () - Alston
- Order: Polypodiales () - Link, 1833
- Class: Polypodiopsida () - Cronquist et al., 1966
- Infraphylum: Moniliformopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, Nom. Nud.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Aspidium exaltatum (L.) Schkuhr • Hypopeltis exaltata (L.) Bory • Nephrodium exaltatum (L.) Desv. • Nephrodium exaltatum (L.) Kunth • Nephrodium exaltatum (L.) R. Br. • Polypodium exaltatum Linnaeus • Syst. Nat. Ed. 10
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Nephrolepis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 34 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
N. averyi (Avery's Swordfern) · N. biserrata (Giant Sword Fern) · N. biserrata 'Macho' (Macho Fern) · N. cordifolia (Boston Fern) · N. cordifolia var. Lemon Buttons (Button Sword Fern) · N. cordifolia 'Duffii' (Fishbone Fern) · N. cordifolia 'Timmii' (Timm's Petticoat Fern) · N. exaltata (Boston Fern) · N. exaltata cordifolia (Boston Swordfern) · N. exaltata var. bostoniensis (Boston Fern) · N. exaltata var. Fluffy Ruffles (Sword Fern) · N. exaltata var. Whitmanii (Boston Fern) · N. exaltata 'Aurea' (Golden Boston Fern) · N. exaltata 'Bostoniensis' (Boston Fern) · N. exaltata 'Bostoniensis Aureus' (Golden Boston Fern) · N. exaltata 'Fluffy Ruffles Upright' (Boston Fern) · N. exaltata 'Ruth' (Ruth Fern) · N. exaltata 'Shadow Lace' (Boston Fern) · N. exaltata 'Suzi Wong' (Boston Swordfern) · N. exaltata 'Tiger Fern' (Boston Fern) · N. falcata (Fish Tail Swordfern) · N. falcata 'Fancy Frill' (Fishtail Fern) · N. falcata 'Furcans' (Furcans Fishtail Fern) · N. hirsutula (Scaly Swordfern) · N. laurifolia (Laurel-Leaf Swordfern) · N. multiflora (Asian Swordfern) · N. obliterata (Australian Sword Fern) · N. obliterata 'Kimberly Queen' (Australian Sword Fern) · N. obliterata 'Medusa' (Australian Sword Fern) · N. pectinata (Basket Fern) · N. rivularis (Streamside Swordfern) · N. undulata (Annual Swordfern) · N. x (Avery's Swordfern) · N. × averyi (Avery's Swordfern)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A hand-book to the flora of Ceylon: containing descriptions of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to the island, and notes on their history, distribution, and uses: with an atlas of plates illustrating some of the more inte by Henry Trimen. London: Dulau, 1893-1931. url p. 361.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 955.
- A monograph of Christmas Island (Indian Ocean) / physical features and geology by Charles W. Andrews; with descriptions of the fauna and flora by numerous contributors. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1900. url p. 195.
- A preliminary catalogue of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop museum of Polynesian ethnology and natural history. .. Honolulu, 1892-93. url p. 45, p. 52, p. 55.
- A record of plants collected in Southern Rhodesia; arramged on Engler's system. Compiled by Fred. Eyles. Cape Town, 1916 url p. 281.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 393, p. 426.
- American breeders magazine / American Breeders Association. [Washington, D.C.: ]The Association, url p. 210, p. 211.
- An annotated catalogue of types of the University of Illinois mycological collections (ILL) / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1997. url p. 309.
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 21, p. 537.
- An introduction to heredity and genetics; a study of the modern biological laws and theories relating animal & plant breeding. [N.p.][pref. 1920] url p. 38.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 180.
- Annual report of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. .. Harrisburg, Pa.: The Dept., 1896- url p. 469.
- Bengal plants: a list of the phanerogams, ferns and fern-allies indigenous to, or commonly cultivated in, the Lower provinces and Chittagong, with definitions of the natural orders and genera, and keys to the genera and species. 2 1903 Calcutta: Botanical Survey of India1903. url p. 1255.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botanical bulletin / Honolulu: Division of Forestry, 1911-1919. url p. 12, p. 13.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 191.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 10 1921 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 107, p. 124.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1913 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 68, p. 73, p. 73, p. 78, p. 83.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 145.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 10 1919-1921 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 145, p. 152.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 178, p. 184, p. 186, p. 188.
- Catalogue of the African plants London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url .
- Catalogue of the African plants collected by Dr. Friedrich Welwitsch in 1853-61. .. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url p. 274.
- Chloroplast pigments and chromatographic analysis. University Park, Pennsylvania State University url p. 158.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url p. 228, p. 229.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 347.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the Herbarium of Columbia College. New York: Columbia College, 1886-1896. url p. 251.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 495.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 38 1974 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 309, p. 310, p. 346.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 22 1999 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 182.
- Contributions to the flora of Venezuela / Julian A. Steyermark and collaborators. 28 1957 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1957. url p. 733.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 918.
- Cruise of the "Alert": four years in Patagonian, Polynesian, and Mascarene waters, 1878-82 / with sixteen full-page woodcut illus. from photos. by F. North, and from sketches by the author. LondonW.S. Sonnenschein1884 url p. 223.
- Cruise of the "Alert." Four years in Patagonian, Polynesian, and Mascarene waters (1878-82) / by R.W. Coppinger; with sixteen full-page woodcut illustrations from photographs by F. North, and from sketches by the author London: S. Sonnenschein and Co., 1899 url p. 223.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1075, p. 576, p. 578.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 101.
- Diseases of greenhouse crops and their control / New York: E. P. Dutton, [c1920] url .
- Ferns and fern allies of Guatemala. Robert G. Stolze; the genus Elaphoglossum by: John T. Mickel; the genus Thelypteris by: Alan R. Smith. 6 1981 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1981. url p. 313, p. 315, p. 316, p. 317.
- Ferns and fern culture: their native habitats, organisation, habits of growth, compost for different genera; cultivation in pots, baskets, rockwork, walls; in stove, greenhouse, dwelling-house, and outdoor ferneries; potting Manchester, Eng.; [etc., etc.]The author url , , , .
- Ferns and how to grow them / Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914, c1905. url .
- Ferns and how to grow them, New York, Doubleday, Page & company[c1905] url , .
- Ferns and how to grow them, by G. A. Woolson. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1905. url p. 149.
- Ferns in their homes and ours / by John Robinson. Boston: Whidden, 1894, c1878. url p. 117, p. 145, p. 63, p. 85, p. 86.
- Field, forest and garden botany: a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book, c1895. url p. 498.
- Field, forest, and garden botany; a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated, by Asa Gray. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url p. 498.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 427.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 427.
- Flora of Koh Chang: contributions to the knowledge of the vegetation in the Gulf of Siam / Copenhagen: B. Luno, 1900-1916. url .
- Flora of Kwangtung and Hongkong (China) being an account of the floweriing plants, ferns and fern allies together with keys for their determination preceded by a map and introduction, London, H. M. Stationery off., printed by Darling and son, ltd., 1912. url .
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 579.
- Flora of the island of St. Croix. By Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1902 Chicago, 1902. url p. 468.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 17, p. 23.
- Flora of the southern United States, containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida; arranged according to the natural system by A.W. Chapman. New York, American Book Company url p. 596.
- Floral talks. New York, W. N. Swett & co., 1892. url p. 81.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1757, p. 455, p. 785, p. 801, p. 88, p. 916, p. 943, p. 956.
- Four seasons in the garden, by Eben E. Rexford; with twenty-seven illustrations and with decorations by Edward Stratton Holloway. Philadelphia & London, J. B. Lippincott company, 1907. url p. 229, p. 229, p. 302, p. 302.
- Fritz Bahr's commercial floriculture; a practical manual for the retail grower, New York, The A. T. De la Mare company, inc.[c1922] url .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 103, p. 106, p. 257, p. 345, p. 346, p. 367, p. 378, p. 379, p. 456, p. 475, p. 523, p. 573, p. 597, p. 67.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 221, p. 526.
- Gardening for amateurs; a simple, complete, and practical guide for garden lovers, edited by H. H. Thomas. Illustrated by twenty-four coloured plates and many hundreds of photographs and sketches. New York: Funk and Wagnalls company,  url p. 339, p. 837.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Gardening in California, San Francisco, A. M. Robertson, 1914. url p. 294, p. 381, p. 391.
- Gardening in California, landscape and flower, by John McLaren... San Francisco, A.M. Robertson, 1909. url p. 293, p. 293, p. 391, p. 391.
- Gardening indoors and under glass; New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1912. url .
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url , p. 106, p. 162, p. 164, p. 34, p. 42, p. 56.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 110.
- Genetics in relation to agriculture, New York, McGraw-Hill; [etc., etc.]1918. url , p. 312, p. 665.
- Gladiolus studies / Alvin C. Beal [and A. C. Hottes] Ithaca, N.Y.New York State College of Agriculture at Cornell University, 1916. url p. 226.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume. New York, American book company, 1901?, c1887 url p. 498.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 260.
- Greenhouse management. A manual for florists and flower lovers on the forcing of flowers, vegetables and fruits in greenhouses, and the propagation and care of house plants, New York, O. Judd, 1898. url .
- Hand-list of ferns and fern allies cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off., by Darling, 1906. url p. 101, p. 101.
- Handbook to the ferns of British India, Ceylon and the Malay peninsula; with supplement, Calcutta, Thacker, Spink;1892. url p. 284.
- Hawaiian Fungi / Honolulu, Hawaii: The Museum, 1925. url p. 150, p. 168.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url , p. 136, p. 188, p. 222, p. 283, p. 333, p. 35, p. 370, p. 422, p. 432, p. 436, p. 443, p. 470, p. 479, p. 502, p. 532, p. 568, p. 634, p. 694, p. 696, p. 780, p. 814.
- House plants / by Robert Van Tress. Chicago:Field Museum of Natural History, 1937. url p. 5.
- House plants and how to grow them, by Parker T. Barnes. New York, Doubleday, Page, 1909. url p. 199.
- House plants and their care; also, hints for the care of goldfish and canary birds. .. Cincinnati, Ohio, 1887. url p. 37.
- How ferns grow, by Margaret Slosson; with forty-six plates by the author. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1906. url p. 8.
- How ferns grow. New York, H. Holt[c1906] url , , p. 156.
- Inland wetlands of the United States: evaluated as potential registered natural landmarks / Richard H. Goodwin, William A. Niering. [Washington]: National Park Service: may be purchased from the Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1975. url p. 96.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 521.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url .
- Journal of the Horticultural Society of New York. New York City: The Society, 1906-1924. url p. 108, p. 176, p. 244, p. 303, p. 346, p. 40, p. 404, p. 43, p. 437, p. 493, p. 528, p. 86.
- Journal of the International Garden Club. New York, International garden club. url p. 285, p. 619.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 4 1903 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 125, p. 194, p. 240, p. 259, p. 260, p. 261, p. 87.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 485, p. 607.
- Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. 32-33 1899-1900 Singapore: the Society, 1878-1922. url p. 65.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 42, p. 69.
- Malayan ferns. Handbook to the determination of the ferns of The Malayan islands (incl. those of the Malay Peninsula, the Philippines and New Guinea) Batavia, Landsdrukkerij, 1908. url p. 137.
- Manual of gardening: a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use / New York: Macmillan Co., 1911. url , .
- Manual of gardening; a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917. url , .
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1006, p. 1007.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 34.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 131.
- Matabele land and the Victoria Falls: a naturalist's wanderings in the interior of South Africa, from the letters and journals of the late Frank Oates / edited by C.G. Oates. London: C.K. Paul, 1881. url p. 369.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 46.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 101.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 782.
- Miscellaneous studies in agriculture and biology. BerkeleyUniversity of California Press1919 url p. 56, p. 56.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 253, p. 520.
- Natural history. New York url p. 495.
- New Zealand plants and their story. By L. Cockayne. .. Wellington, N.Z., M.F. Marks, Govt. Printer, 1919. url p. 141.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 3 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 6.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 101, p. 109, p. 144, p. 19, p. 20, p. 28, p. 67.
- Organography of plants, especially of the archegoniatae and spermaphyta, ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clar. Press, 1900-5. url p. 317, p. 318.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 115, p. 115, p. 52, p. 52, p. 81, p. 81, p. 86, p. 86.
- Our native ferns and how to study them; with synoptical descriptions of the North American species. Bloomington, Ill.[Leader Publishing Co., Printers]1881. url .
- Our native ferns and their alies: with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico / Lucien M. Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1896. url p. 117, p. 66.
- Our native ferns and their allies with synoptical descriptions of the American pteridophyta north of Mexico / by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1900. url .
- Our native ferns and their allies: with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico / by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1896, c1888. url p. 117, p. 66.
- Our native ferns and their allies; with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico, by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1900. url p. 118.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Hawaii. [1900?- url p. 12, p. 13.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 282, p. 312, p. 376, p. 377.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url , p. 153, p. 153.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., 1900. url p. 104.
- Plant-breeding, New York, The Macmillan company, 1915. url p. 423.
- Plant-breeding, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Macmillan, 1915. url .
- Plantae Utowanae. Plants collected in Bermuda, Porto Rico, St. Thomas, Culebras, Santo Domingo, Jamaica, Cuba, The Caymans, Cozumel, Yucatan and the Alacran shoals. Dec. 1898-Mar. 1899. The Antillean cruise of the yach 2 1900 Chicago, 1900. url p. 18.
- Plants of the Bahamas, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, by A.S. Hitchcock. .. Issued March 9, 1893. St. Louis, 1893 url p. 155.
- Pomona College journal of entomology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Published under the patronage of Ontario-Cucamonga Citrus Association by the Dept. of Biology of Pomona College, [1909?-1912?] url p. 63, p. 63, p. 826, p. 826, p. 827, p. 827.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 16.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 150.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 593, p. 597, p. 600.
- Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society. Honolulu: Hawaiian Entomological Society url , p. 115, p. 117.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 642.
- Proceedings of the annual convention of the society of American Florists. Boston [etc.]Society of American Florists and Ornamental Horticulturalists. url p. 14, p. 15, p. 151, p. 152, p. 157, p. 163, p. 18, p. 19, p. 74.
- Pteridophyta of Peru. Rolla M. Tryon, Robert G. Stolze; with the collaboration of Blanca León. 32 1993 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1993. url p. 49.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. 2 1900 Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 18.
- Rendle, A. B., E. G. Baker, S. le M. Moore & H. F. Wernham Catalogue of the plants collected by Mr. & Mrs. P.A. Talbotin the Oban district, South Nigeria, by A. B. Rendle, E.G. Baker, and H.F. Wernham, S. Moore, and others. With seventeen plates. 1913 London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1913. url p. 151.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 254, p. 87.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 782.
- Revised list of Hawaiian Pteridophyta, Honolulu, Hawaii, The Museum, 1925. url p. 11.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 17.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 13, p. 16, p. 18, p. 40.
- Textbook of botany [by] F.N. Transeau. .. H.C. Sampson. .. [and] L.H. Tiffany. .. New York, Harper & brothers[c1940] url p. 484.
- The American angler. New York: [The Angler's Publishing Company], 1881- url p. 140.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url , p. 1015, p. 1024, p. 1039, p. 1052, p. 1065, p. 1097, p. 1133, p. 1143, p. 1151, p. 1181, p. 1202, p. 1210, p. 125, p. 1259, p. 1280, p. 1347, p. 139, p. 1488, p. 149, p. 154, p. 174, p. 184, p. 185, p. 187, p. 189, p. 194, p. 206, p. 210, p. 216, p. 225, p. 229, p. 234, p. 246, p. 250, p. 261, p. 262, p. 269, p. 270, p. 274, p. 277, p. 284, p. 289, p. 299, p. 302, p. 313, p. 320, p. 320, p. 327, p. 329, p. 339, p. 352, p. 354, p. 356, p. 357, p. 380, p. 397, p. 41, p. 413, p. 417, p. 417, p. 42, p. 426, p. 43, p. 445, p. 447, p. 453, p. 472, p. 481, p. 483, p. 483, p. 499, p. 501, p. 505, p. 506, p. 515, p. 519, p. 52, p. 539, p. 539, p. 551, p. 569, p. 57, p. 583, p. 585, p. 590, p. 596, p. 605, p. 608, p. 621, p. 623, p. 625, p. 63, p. 640, p. 640, p. 674, p. 69, p. 694, p. 696, p. 720, p. 742, p. 749, p. 75, p. 750, p. 772, p. 809, p. 813, p. 813, p. 82, p. 826, p. 839, p. 84, p. 890, p. 907, p. 910, p. 913, p. 946, p. 947, p. 958, p. 990, p. 991, p. 996.
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, The authors, 1920. url p. 473, p. 473, p. 473, p. 473.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url , .
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 27.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 299, p. 302.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , p. 10, p. 1000, p. 101, p. 1014, p. 1021, p. 1021, p. 1030, p. 1040, p. 1044, p. 1057, p. 1071, p. 1071, p. 1074, p. 1075, p. 1081, p. 1082, p. 1095, p. 1108, p. 1117, p. 1130, p. 1134, p. 1135, p. 1135, p. 114, p. 1143, p. 1159, p. 1160, p. 1163, p. 1163, p. 1165, p. 1166, p. 1171, p. 1181, p. 1183, p. 119, p. 1199, p. 120, p. 1208, p. 1209, p. 1246, p. 1288, p. 1304, p. 1326, p. 137, p. 138, p. 1429, p. 147, p. 155, p. 161, p. 164, p. 165, p. 165, p. 171, p. 172, p. 177, p. 182, p. 19, p. 198, p. 204, p. 215, p. 215, p. 217, p. 227, p. 23, p. 245, p. 245, p. 277, p. 277, p. 278, p. 287, p. 301, p. 319, p. 320, p. 339, p. 34, p. 350, p. 360, p. 369, p. 371, p. 384, p. 388, p. 400, p. 414, p. 418, p. 428, p. 43, p. 432, p. 434, p. 437, p. 456, p. 464, p. 466, p. 469, p. 480, p. 482, p. 488, p. 493, p. 502, p. 505, p. 515, p. 519, p. 524, p. 532, p. 544, p. 545, p. 550, p. 551, p. 552, p. 557, p. 559, p. 566, p. 566, p. 57, p. 570, p. 583, p. 583, p. 59, p. 594, p. 6, p. 60, p. 614, p. 619, p. 62, p. 625, p. 63, p. 635, p. 639, p. 642, p. 647, p. 653, p. 659, p. 660, p. 664, p. 671, p. 673, p. 679, p. 681, p. 683, p. 688, p. 689, p. 695, p. 701, p. 708, p. 71, p. 715, p. 719, p. 725, p. 726, p. 728, p. 729, p. 733, p. 736, p. 741, p. 743, p. 745, p. 748, p. 753, p. 755, p. 755, p. 757, p. 759, p. 772, p. 779, p. 786, p. 804, p. 806, p. 812, p. 812, p. 814, p. 815, p. 815, p. 82, p. 82, p. 822, p. 831, p. 832, p. 834, p. 845, p. 846, p. 849, p. 85, p. 851, p. 858, p. 862, p. 862, p. 863, p. 867, p. 867, p. 868, p. 868, p. 881, p. 883, p. 884, p. 884, p. 887, p. 887, p. 896, p. 896, p. 911, p. 914, p. 916, p. 917, p. 92, p. 92, p. 920, p. 922, p. 923, p. 926, p. 929, p. 932, p. 950, p. 953, p. 955, p. 956, p. 958, p. 964, p. 969, p. 978, p. 979, p. 982, p. 984, p. 989, p. 990, p. 995, p. 997.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url p. 102.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 210, p. 225, p. 225.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 608.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 588.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 296.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 186, p. 75.
- The Polypodiaceae of the Philippine Islands. New species of edible Philippine fungi. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1905. url p. 46, p. 46, p. 47.
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 469, p. 753.
- The amateur's practical garden-book; London, The Macmillan company, 1900. url p. 102.
- The book of fern culture, London, J. Lane Company, 1908. url , .
- The book of fern culture, by Alfred Hemsley. London, J. Lane company, 1908. url p. 33, p. 77.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 1192.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 551.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 305.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 268.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The fern garden: how to make, keep, and enjoy it; or, Fern culture made easy / by Shirley Hibberd. London: W.H. and L. Collingridge,  url p. 116, p. 120, p. 62.
- The ferns of Bombay, Bombay, D. B. Taraporevala Sons & Co., 1922. url , , .
- The ferns of Bombay, by E. Blatter & J. F. d'Almeida. With 2 coloured and 15 black and white plates and 43 text figures. Bombay: D. B. Taraporevala Sons & Co., 1922. url p. 127, p. 160.
- The ferns of Ceylon / by Lorenzo G. Yates. Santa Barbara, Cal.: Geo. O. Yates, 1887. url p. 26.
- The ferns of North America colored figures and descriptions, with synonymy and geographical distribution, of the ferns (including the ophioglassaceae) of the United States of America and the British North American possessions / by Daniel Cady Eaton; the drawings by J.H. Emerton and C.E. Faxon. Salem [Mass.]: S.E. Cassino, 1879. url .
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 101.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands St. Eustatius, Saba and St. Martin. Leyden, Brill, 1909. url p. 227, p. 272, p. 3.
- The flora of the Northern Territory, Melbourne, McCarron, Bird & Co., Printers, 1917. url .
- The florists' manual / by William Scott; a reference book for commercial florists. Chicago: Florists' Publishing Co., 1899. url p. 85.
- The florists' manual, Chicago, Florists' publishing company, 1899. url p. 72, p. 85.
- The florists' manual, by William Scott. A reference book for commercial florists. Chicago, Florists' publishing company, 1906. url p. 76, p. 90, p. 91.
- The garden beautiful in California; Los Angeles, Cal., Cultivator publishing co., 1915. url p. 100, p. 103.
- The garden book of California, New York, P. Elder and company[c1906] url .
- The home florist: a treatise on the cultivation, management and adaptability of flowering and ornamental plants, designed for the use of amateur florists. Springfield, Ohio, C.A. Reeser url p. 197.
- The indigenous trees of the Hawaiian Islands / by Joseph F. Rock. Honolulu: J.F. Rock; 1913. url p. 38, p. 41.
- The new flora of the volcanic island of Krakatau, CambridgeUniversity Press1908 url p. 25, p. 43, p. 48.
- The parks and gardens of Paris, considered in relation to the wants of other cities and of the public and private gardens; being notes on a study of Paris gardens. London, Macmillan and co., 1878. url .
- The practical garden-book, containing the simplest directions for the growing of the commonest things about the house and garden, by C. E. Hunn and L. H. Bailey. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 1906 [c1898] url p. 102.
- The principles of floriculture, by Edward A. White. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1915. url p. 373.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1212, p. 1215, p. 1219, p. 2131, p. 2132, p. 2133, p. 3570, p. 3597.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 100.
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url , p. 1024, p. 1183, p. 1235, p. 133, p. 1347, p. 148, p. 157, p. 167, p. 18, p. 22, p. 229, p. 232, p. 305, p. 357, p. 382, p. 396, p. 429, p. 455, p. 464, p. 475, p. 477, p. 538, p. 647, p. 650, p. 739, p. 747, p. 76, p. 779, p. 785, p. 916, p. 92, p. 943, p. 956.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 147, p. 73.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, 1899- url , p. 53.
- Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. 16 1905 Cape Town, : The Society. url recent information concerning sa ferns , p. 267, p. 289.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 517, p. 623.
- Villa gardening: a handbook for amateur and practical gardeners / by Edward Hobday. London; MacMillan, 1887. url p. 146, p. 211.
- Wrightia. 1 1949 Richardson, Tex. [etc.]University of Texas at Dallas. url p. 254, p. 261.
- Yard and garden; a book of practical information for the amateur gardener in city, town or suburb, Indianapolis, The Bobbs-Merrill company[c1908] url , p. 356.
- Year book of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society with the annual report for. . [Boston, Mass.: s.n., - url p. 19.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 46, p. 47.
- Darling, T. Jr. 1982. The deletion of Nephrolepis pectinata from the flora of Florida. Amer. Fern J. 72: 63.
- Nauman, C. E. 1981. The genus Nephrolepis in Florida. Amer. Fern J. 71: 35--40.
- Nauman, C. E. 1985. A Systematic Revision of the Neotropical Species of Nephrolepis
- Schott. Ph.D. dissertation. University of Tennessee. Wherry, E. T. 1964. The Southern Fern Guide. Garden City, N.Y.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 19, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- GBIF-Spain, CUBA:Herbario del Jardín Botánico Nacional, La Habana, Cuba: HAJB-Pteridophyta
- GBIF-Spain, Jardi Botanic de Valencia: VAL
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2644733
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-17605
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:102518-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 25202
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 17605
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 17160830
- MoBot NameID: 26602326
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PPDAV01030
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: NEEX
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 49921
- Clifton E. Nauman "Nephrolepis". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Nephrolepis exaltata". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 274.720 meters (901.312 feet), Standard Deviation = 845.680 based on 99 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]