Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Chinese Arbutus, Yama-Momo, Yang Mei
Common Names in Japanese:
or deciduous, monoecious or dioecious, aromatic
, often with resinous
, peltate glands
. Leaves alternate, simple
, pinnately veined, entire to irregularly serrate or lobed
, rarely pinnatifid
; stipules absent or rarely present. Flowers in spikes, usually unisexual
, without perianth. Male flowers solitary in axil of each bract, with 2-4 bracteoles or not. Stamens 2-20, often 4-8 on receptacle at base
of bract; filaments
or slightly united
at base; anthers
, dehiscing longitudinally. Female flowers solitary or 2-4 in axil of bract, usually with 2-4 bracteoles. Gynoecium of 2 carpels united into a compound
and 1-loculed ovary; styles distinct
or united only at base; ovule solitary, basal, erect, orthotropous
. Fruit drupaceous
, or nearly a nutlet
, often with headlike, wax-covered papillae; endocarp hard. Seeds nearly without endosperm; embryo straight; cotyledons fleshy
Three genera and ca. 50 species: widespread in both hemispheres, mostly in temperate or subtropical regions; one genus and four species (two endemic) in China.
or deciduous, dioecious or monoecious, with resinous
, peltate glands
in young parts. Leaves simple
, often aggregated at apex of shoot
entire or serrate; stipules absent. Flowering precocious
. Inflorescences spicate
, simple or paniculate
. Male flowers with 2-8(-20) stamens; filaments
, with bracteoles or not. Female flowers with 2-4 bracteoles adnate
to ovary and enlarged, or free and not enlarged; ovary with resinous glands; style short, with 2 relatively long stigmatic
branches. Fruit a drupe, often with headlike, wax-covered papillae; endocarp hard. Seeds erect
, with membranous testa.
About 50 species: nearly worldwide except for some warm temperate parts of Old World and Australia; four species (two endemic) in China.
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -3,046 meters (0 to -9,993 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Juglandanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
: A.Chev. Publication
: Cat. Pl. Jard. Bot. Saigon
Basionym : Myricaceae Morella rubra Lour.
Basionym author: (Lour.)
Members of the genus Myrica
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 283.
- A naturalist in Western China: with vasculum, camera, and gun, being some account of eleven year's travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the flowery kingdom; with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent. London, Methuen url p. 220, p. 32, p. xxi.
- A naturalist in western China, with vasculum, camera, and gun; being some account of eleven years' travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the Flowery kingdom, by Ernest Henry Wilson...with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent...With one hundred and one full-page illustrations and a map. London, Methuen & co., ltd. url p. 21, p. 220, p. 32.
- Address by George Lincoln Goodale, president of the American association for the advancement of science. [Salem, Mass.]Salem press publishing and printing co., 1891. url p. 21.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 23.
- Annals of horticulture in North America for the year 1893. A witness of passing events and a record of progress. Comprising and account of the horticulture of the Columbian exposition, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Judd, c1894. url p. 200.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 21 1910 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 80, p. 81.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 635.
- Aphididae of Formosa By Ryoichi Takahashi. Taihoku, Formosa, The Institute, 1921- url p. 33, p. 56, p. 61.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , , p. 174, p. 23.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 283.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 212, p. 502.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 32.
- Catalogue of the plants of Kumaon and of the adjacent portions Garhwal and Tibet, based on the collections made by Strachey and Winterbottom during the years 1846 to 1849 and on the catalogue originally prepared in 1852 London, L. Reeve & Co., Ltd., 1906. url .
- Catalogue of the trees and shrubs in the arboretum and botanic garden at the Central Experimental Farm, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada by Wm. Saunders and W.T. Macoun. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau, 1899. url .
- Chinese economic trees, [Shanghai]Printed by the Commercial Press, Ltd. url , , , , , , , p. 18, p. 57, p. 58, p. 6.
- Chinese materia medica. extensively revised from F. Porter Smith's work by G. A. Stuart. Shanghai?: Presbyterian Mission Press?, 1911? url p. 275.
- Coloring matters for foodstuffs and methods for their detection. . .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1905 url p. 9.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892-1932. url p. 368.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 238.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture: comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants sold in the United States and Canada, together with ge by L.H. Bailey, assisted by Wilhelm Miller and many expert cultivators and botanists, illustrated with two thousand eight hundred original engravings. New York: Macmillan, 1906, c1900-02. url p. 1052.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 267.
- Flora Hongkongensis; a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. LondonL. Reeve1861 url p. 322.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 278.
- Flora hongkongensis: a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. London, L. Reeve, 1861. url .
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 2, p. 369.
- Forest flora of Japan. Notes on the forest flora of Japan. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin[c1894] url .
- Forest flora of Japan: notes on the forest flora of Japan. Boston, Houghton, 1894. url p. 61, p. 91.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 343, p. 553, p. 556.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 71.
- How plants are trained to work for man / by Luther Burbank; prefatory note by David Starr Jordan. New York: Collier, c1921- url p. 147, p. 147.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url , , , , , , p. 1, p. 14, p. 15, p. 27, p. 27, p. 34, p. 41, p. 42, p. 55, p. 65, p. 7, p. 84, p. 98.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 21 1883 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 357.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 275.
- Luther Burbank, his methods and discoveries and their practical application; London, Luther Burbank Press, 1914-15. url .
- Manual of the trees of North America (exclusive of Mexico) by Charles Sprague Sargent, with seven hundred and eighty-three illustrations from drawings by Charles Edward Faxon and Mary W. Gill. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin company, 1922. url p. 164, p. 164, p. 905, p. 905.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 604, p. 74.
- Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. [Boston: The Academy, url p. 433.
- Mycotrophy in plants; lectures on the biology of mycorrhizae and related structures. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1950. url p. 106.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Japan. [1900?- url p. 67.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 1520, p. 933.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 189, p. 483, p. 517, p. 544, p. 545, p. 555, p. 556, p. 557, p. 623.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 209.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, Calif.: The Academy, 1897- url p. 382, p. 66.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 137.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 277.
- Recent advances in cytology, by C. D. Darlington. With a foreword by J. B. S. Haldane. With 16 plates, 160 text-figures and 81 tables. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 643.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 969.
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 3 1917 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 189, p. 483, p. 517, p. 544, p. 545, p. 555, p. 556, p. 557, p. 623.
- Scientific Japan, past and present, prepared [by the National Research Council of Japan] in connection with the third Pan-Pacific Science Congress, Tokyo, 1926. Kyoto[1926?] url p. 85.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 464.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 322, p. 617.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 202.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 158, p. 178, p. 198, p. 221, p. 312, p. 332, p. 352.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 263.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 111, p. 156, p. 237, p. 352, p. 353, p. 868.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 202.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 401, p. 417.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 37, p. 391.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 13 1873 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 124, p. 496.
- The Philippine journal of science. 1 Suppl. 1906 Manila. url p. 174, p. 41, p. 644, p. 655, p. 682.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 12.
- The chemical synthesis of vital products and the interrelations between organic compounds / By Raphael Meldola. London: E. Arnold, 1904. url p. 159.
- The conifers and taxads of Japan. Issued December 30, 1916. CambridgeUniversity Press1916 url p. 67.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. 5 1890 London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 597.
- The flowers of Japan and the art of floral arrangement. By Josiah Conder, with illustrations by Japanese artists. Tokio, Hakubunsha; [etc., etc.]1891. url .
- The forest flora of north-west and central India: a handbook of the indigenous trees and shrubs of those countries / Commenced by by J. Lindsay Stewart. Continued and completed by Dietrich Brandis. Prepared at the herbarium of the Royal gardens, Kew. LondonW.H. Allen1874 url p. 496.
- The fruit culture in Japan. Tokyo, Seibido[1909?] url .
- The industries of Japan: together with an account of its agriculture, forestry, arts and commerce / J.J. Rein. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1889. url p. 177, p. 180, p. 556.
- The mammals of China and Mongolia / by Glover M. Allen. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1938-1940. url p. 1158, p. 1328.
- The principles of fruit-growing. New York, Macmillan1898 [c1897] url .
- The silva of North America a description of the tree which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico / by Charles Sprague Sargent; illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. Boston;Houghton, Mifflin, 1894 url .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 14 1902 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 133, p. 86.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2092, p. 2093.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 541.
- Transactions of the Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: The Society, -1887. url p. 397.
- Useful plants of the future. New Haven, Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, printers, 1891. url p. 289.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 24.
- Kuang Ko-zen & Lu An-ming. 1979. Myricaceae. In: Kuang Ko-zen & Li Pei-chun, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 21: 1-6.
- Kuang Ko-zen & Lu An-ming. 1979. Myricaceae. In: Kuang Ko-zen & Li Pei-chun, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 21: 1-6.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 21, 2007:
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Institute of Genetics, ROIS, Herbarium Specimens of Museum of Nature and Human Activities, Hyogo Pref., Japan
- Taiwan Biodiversity Information Facility, Magnoliophyta
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3453442
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15633323
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:585603-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 585603-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 646845
- Anmin Lu & Allan J. Bornstein "Myricaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 275. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Anmin Lu & Allan J. Bornstein "Myrica". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 275. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = -511.150 meters (-1,677.001 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,346.140 based on 54 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]