Common Names in English:
The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June, July, August. • Flower Color: orange
Size: 8-10' tall.
Culture: Space 24-36" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 6.0
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Aplophyllum decurrens (Cav.) Cass.
Status: Accepted Name
Comment: Data Providers: Govaerts World Compositae Checklist A-G, IPNI, Tropicos. GCC LSID: urn :lsid:compositae.org:names:18944787-A2F2-4838-BD4F-DB87C086557A
Last scrutiny: 15-Aug-09
Members of the genus Mutisia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 89.
- Alpine flowers for gardens: rock, wall, marsh plants, and mountain shrubs / by W. Robinson. London: John Murray, 1903. url p. 262.
- Alpine flowers for gardens; rock, wall, marsh plants, and mountain shrubs, by W. Robinson. London, J. Murray, 1910. url p. 262.
- Annals of horticulture in North America for the year 1893. A witness of passing events and a record of progress. Comprising and account of the horticulture of the Columbian exposition, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Judd, c1894. url p. 200.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1906 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 265.
- Cassell's popular gardening. London, Cassell & company, limited[1884-86] url .
- Climbing plants, by William Watson; with introduction by W. Robinson. London [etc.]T. C. & E. C. Jack url p. 36.
- Flower grouping in English, Scotch & Irish gardens; notes & 56 sketches in colour, by Margaret Waterfield. .. with contributions by E. V. B., S. Arnott [and others] London: E. P. Dutton & co., 1907. url p. 233, p. 82.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 172, p. 423, p. 440.
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 255.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 255.
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. .. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin. ..entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url .
- Hortus Veitchii: a history of the rise and progress of the nurseries of Messrs. James Veitch and sons, together with an account of the botanical collectors and hybridists employed by them and a list of the most remark by James H. Veitch; with fifty illustrations. London: J. Veitch & sons, 1906. url p. 23, p. 47, p. 533.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 10, p. 11.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url , p. 130.
- My life: a record of events and opinions. LondonChapman & Hall1905 url p. 206.
- My life; a record of events and opinions, by Alfred Russel Wallace. .. with facsimile letters, illustrations and portraits. .. New York, Dodd, Mead & Company, 1905. url p. 206.
- My shrubs / London; John Lane, 1915. url .
- My shrubs / by Eden Phillpotts, with fifty illustrations. London; John Lane, 1915. url .
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 412, p. 417, p. 422.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 8 1813 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url , p. 137, p. 138, p. 24, p. 37, p. 51, plate XXVIII.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 192.
- Scottish gardens; being a representative selection of different types, old and new, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell. .. illustrated by Mary G. W. Wilson. London: E. Arnold, 1908. url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 529, p. 755, p. 861.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 575.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , , , , , , p. 118, p. 13, p. 14, p. 14, p. 143, p. 148, p. 154, p. 157, p. 169, p. 174, p. 176, p. 179, p. 18, p. 188, p. 190, p. 191, p. 193, p. 196, p. 198, p. 199, p. 209, p. 224, p. 224, p. 227, p. 234, p. 258, p. 259, p. 278, p. 284, p. 297, p. 298, p. 304, p. 310, p. 312, p. 317, p. 32, p. 341, p. 373, p. 38, p. 39, p. 395, p. 404, p. 416, p. 443, p. 45, p. 460, p. 474, p. 477, p. 480, p. 490, p. 491, p. 499, p. 5, p. 530, p. 538, p. 552, p. 553, p. 568, p. 573, p. 59, p. 596, p. 612, p. 613, p. 614, p. 615, p. 632, p. 70, p. 71, p. 78, p. 86, p. 93.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 26, p. 381.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1864 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1011, p. 1299, p. 186, p. 31, p. 636, p. 685.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 100, p. 130, p. 134, p. 136, p. 143, p. 153, p. 190, p. 196, p. 204, p. 22, p. 220, p. 225, p. 228, p. 247, p. 248, p. 249, p. 261, p. 278, p. 283, p. 284, p. 286, p. 310, p. 331, p. 339, p. 35, p. 382, p. 383, p. 408, p. 41, p. 413, p. 417, p. 422, p. 424, p. 436, p. 447, p. 465, p. 524, p. 527, p. 563, p. 568, p. 602, p. 669, p. 695, p. 711, p. 722, p. 775.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 412, p. 417.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 118, p. 433, p. 461, p. 62, p. 8.
- The Naturalist. 1893 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 149.
- The amateur's greenhouse and conservatory: a handy guide to the construction and management of planthouses, and the selection, cultivation, and improvement of ornamental greenhouse and conservatory plants / by Shirley Hibberd; illustrated with coloured plants and wood engravings. London: Groombridge and Sons, 1873. url p. 243.
- The book of climbing plants and wall shrubs, by S. Arnott. London, J. Lane, 1903 [pub. 1902] url p. 105, p. 105.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 132.
- The tuberous begonia, its history and cultivation. By contributors to "The Gardening world." Edited by B. Wynne. London, Gardening World Office, 1888. url p. 32.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 113, p. 223, p. 405.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 384.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 88.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 88.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 25, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden