Common Names in English:
Dwarf Yellow Mussaenda
The Rubiaceae are trees , shrubs , or infrequently herbs comprising about 450 genera and 6,500 species, including some lianous forms. The leaves are simple and usually entire, and are opposite or sometimes whorled ; stipules are present and interpetiolar . The flowers are nearly always bisexual and actinomorphic , often heterostylous, and usually are in cymose inflorescences. The calyx is mostly somewhat reduced and 4-5-lobed or sometimes the lobes are obsolete or rarely one of them greatly expanded and brightly colored . The sympetalous corolla is mostly 4-5-lobed, occasionally with 3 or up to 10 lobes. The androecium consists of as many stamens as corolla lobes and is adnate to the corolla tube or epigynous zone, alternate with the lobes. The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of 2 or seldom more carpels, a single style, and a nearly always inferior ovary with the number of locules equaling the number of carpels, each with 1-many axile ovules. An epigynous nectary disk is usually present. The fruit is variable, sometimes forming multiples . -- Gerald Carr.
Flowers: Bloom Period: March. • Flower Color: red-orange
Size: 8-10' tall.
Culture: Space 6-8' apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Gentiananae () - Thorne Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Mussaenda andersonii S. K. Basu & T. K. Paul • Mussaenda frondosa var. glabra (Vahl) Miq. • Mussaenda penangensis Miq. • Mussaenda setulosa Klotzsch
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Nov-2003
Members of the genus Mussaenda
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
M. arcuata (Mussaenda) · M. erythrophylla (Ashanti Blood) · M. erythrophylla 'Dona Luz' (Ashanti Blood) · M. frondosa (Mussaenda) · M. glabra (Dwarf Yellow Mussaenda) · M. incana (White Mussaenda) · M. lutea (Dwarf Yellow Mussaenda) · M. marmelada (Marmelade Mussaenda) · M. philippica (Mussaenda) · M. phillipica (Buddahs Lamp) · M. phillipica 'Donna Aurora' (Buddahs Lamp)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A bibliographic enumeration of Bornean plants, by E. D. Merrill. Singapore, Printed by Fraser & Neave, ltd., 1921 url p. 556, p. 556.
- A review of the references to the Hortus malabaricus of Henry Van Rheede Van Draakenstein [sic] Swansea: Printed at the Cambrian-Office, by Murray and Rees, 1839. url p. 6.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 519.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url , p. 111.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url p. 242, p. 556.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 362, p. 485.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 352, p. 407, p. 410, p. 449, p. 469, p. 555.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 264.
- Index of plants. 1912. Singapore, Printed at the Methodist Publishing House, 1912. url .
- Materials for a flora of the Malayan Peninsula. By George King [and J.S. Gamble]. Calcutta;1889-1936. url p. 75, p. 77.
- Monographs in systematic botany from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 73 1999 [St. Louis, Mo.]: Missouri Botanical Garden, 1978- url p. 103.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 399, p. 623.
- Preliminary report on the forest and other vegetation of Pegu. CalcuttaC.B. Lewis, Baptist Mission Press1875 url p. 36, p. lxxv.
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 3 1917 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 399, p. 623.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 824.
- The Philippine journal of science. 5 1910 Manila. url p. 242.
- The flora of Singapore. Singapore, 1900 url p. 93.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 14, 2012.