Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Bengali:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Hindi:
Bebina, Bedina, बेिदना, बेिबना
Common Names in Kannada:
Billoothi, Hastygida, Pathri
Common Names in Malayalam:
Common Names in Marathi:
Bhutkes, Burthkasi, Lavasat
The Rubiaceae are trees , shrubs , or infrequently herbs comprising about 450 genera and 6,500 species, including some lianous forms. The leaves are simple and usually entire, and are opposite or sometimes whorled ; stipules are present and interpetiolar . The flowers are nearly always bisexual and actinomorphic , often heterostylous, and usually are in cymose inflorescences. The calyx is mostly somewhat reduced and 4-5-lobed or sometimes the lobes are obsolete or rarely one of them greatly expanded and brightly colored . The sympetalous corolla is mostly 4-5-lobed, occasionally with 3 or up to 10 lobes. The androecium consists of as many stamens as corolla lobes and is adnate to the corolla tube or epigynous zone, alternate with the lobes. The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of 2 or seldom more carpels, a single style, and a nearly always inferior ovary with the number of locules equaling the number of carpels, each with 1-many axile ovules. An epigynous nectary disk is usually present. The fruit is variable, sometimes forming multiples . -- Gerald Carr.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June, July, August. • Flower Color: near white, white
Size: 4-6' tall.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Asteranae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967 - Angiosperms
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Gardenia frondosa (L.) Lam. • Mussaenda belilla Buch. -Ham. • Mussaenda dovinia Buch. -Ham. • Mussaenda flavescens Buch. -Ham. • Mussaenda formosa L. • Mussaenda fruticosa L. • Mussaenda ingrata Wall. Ex Hook. F. • Mussaenda macrophylla Kurz • Mussaenda sumatrensis B. Heyne Ex Roth • Mussaenda tomentosa Wight Ex Hook. F. • Mussaenda villosa Schltdl. Ex Hook. F.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Nov-2003
Members of the genus Mussaenda
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
M. arcuata (Mussaenda) · M. erythrophylla (Ashanti Blood) · M. erythrophylla 'Dona Luz' (Ashanti Blood) · M. frondosa (Mussaenda) · M. glabra (Dwarf Yellow Mussaenda) · M. incana (White Mussaenda) · M. lutea (Dwarf Yellow Mussaenda) · M. marmelada (Marmelade Mussaenda) · M. philippica (Mussaenda) · M. phillipica (Buddahs Lamp) · M. phillipica 'Donna Aurora' (Buddahs Lamp)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A bibliographic enumeration of Bornean plants, by E. D. Merrill. Singapore, Printed by Fraser & Neave, ltd., 1921 url p. 556, p. 556.
- A dictionary of the plant names of the Philippine Islands / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1903. url p. 85.
- A flora of Manila / Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1912, 1974 printing. url .
- A flora of Manila, by E. D. Merrill. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1912. url p. 448.
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 489.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 489.
- A manual of the Nílagiri district in the Madras Presidency. Compiled and edited by H. B. Grigg. Madras, Printed by E. Keys at the Government Press, 1880. url p. 112.
- A naturalist in north Celebes: a narrative of travels in Minahassa, the Sangir and Talaut Islands, with notices of the fauna, flora and ethnology of the districts visited / London: J. Murray, 1889. url , , .
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 53.
- A review of the references to the Hortus malabaricus of Henry Van Rheede Van Draakenstein [sic] Swansea: Printed at the Cambrian-Office, by Murray and Rees, 1839. url p. 6.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 519.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 1 1876 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url , p. 10, p. 192, p. 28.
- Annals of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Peradeniya. Colombo: Skien; 1901-1924. url p. 191.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , p. 242, p. 556.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 133.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 121, p. 48.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1921 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 320.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 129.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 162.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 362, p. 485.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 9 1905 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 272, p. 330, p. 352, p. 555, p. VI.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 134 1908 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url .
- Edwards, S. T. The Botanical register: consisting of coloured figures of. .. 7 1821 London: Printed for James Ridgway, 1815-1828. url , .
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 176, p. 177.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 370, p. 576.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 370, p. 576.
- Flora of Kwangtung and Hongkong (China) being an account of the floweriing plants, ferns and fern allies together with keys for their determination preceded by a map and introduction, London, H. M. Stationery off., printed by Darling and son, ltd., 1912. url .
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 357.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants. By Peter Henderson. New York: P. Henderson & Co., 1881. url p. 141.
- Hortus Veitchii: a history of the rise and progress of the nurseries of Messrs. James Veitch and sons, together with an account of the botanical collectors and hybridists employed by them and a list of the most remark by James H. Veitch; with fifty illustrations. London: J. Veitch & sons, 1906. url p. 378.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 337.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 88.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 44 1943 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 210.
- Monographs in systematic botany from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 73 1999 [St. Louis, Mo.]: Missouri Botanical Garden, 1978- url p. 103.
- Observations of a naturalist in the Pacific between 1896 and 1899 / by H.B. Guppy. London: Macmillan and Co., 1903-1906. url p. 411, p. 425.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 148, p. 148, p. 194, p. 194.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 165.
- Pennsylvania farm journal Lancaster, Pa.: A.M. Spangler, 1851-1855. url p. 191.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url p. 308.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 396, p. 399, p. 623.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 698.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 19 1897 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 849.
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 3 1917 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 399, p. 623.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 378.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 162.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 44, p. 609, p. 746, p. 824.
- The Florist and horticultural journal. Philadelphia, [Pa.: s.n.], 1853-1855. url .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 478.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 260.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 20, p. 284, p. 297.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luther Tucker, 1846-1875. url p. 341.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 239, p. 579.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 24 1888 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 137, p. 208, p. 379.
- The Philippine journal of science. 9 1914 Manila. url p. 147, p. 242, p. 259, p. 557.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 230.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands St. Eustatius, Saba and St. Martin. Leyden, Brill, 1909. url p. 188, p. 224, p. 228, p. 315.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url .
- The forest resources of the territories of Papua and New Guineareport by C.E. Lane-Poole. 1925 [Melbourne]:Printed and Pub. for the government of the commonwealth of Australia by H.J. Green, government printer for the State of Victoria,  url p. 138, p. 139, p. 208, p. 64.
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url .
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 183.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 34.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 176, p. 179, p. 272, p. 330, p. 395.
- Timehri: the journal of the Royal Agricultural and Commercial Society of British Guiana. [S.l.]: Argosy Co., 1911- url p. 6.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 11.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 1010, p. 422, p. 429, p. 552, p. 719, p. 728, p. 897.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 179, p. 272, p. 330.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 38, p. 53.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 14, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 25, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew