, usually producing latex. Leaves spirally arranged
or alternate and distichous, rarely ± opposite, sometimes crowded at apex of branchlets
; stipules early deciduous or absent; leaf blade
or leathery, margin
entire. Flowers bisexual
, usually in sessile axillary
, rarely solitary; cluster pedunculate or in raceme-like inflorescence, bracteolate
. Calyx a single whorl of usually 4--6 sepals, or 2 whorls each with 2--4 sepals. Corolla lobes
as many to 2 X
as many as sepals, usually entire, rarely with 2 lacerate
or lobular appendages
. Stamens inserted
at corolla base
or at throat
of corolla tube
, as many as and opposite corolla lobes to many and in 2 or 3 whorls; staminodes when present alternate with stamens, scaly
to petal-like. Ovary superior, 4- or 5-locular, placentation axillary; ovules 1 per locule, anatropous
. Style 1, often apically lobed
. Fruit a berry or drupe, 1- to many-seeded. Seed coat
yellow in Pouteria annamensis), hard, shiny, rich in tannin; endosperm usually oily; seed scar
or basal and round
About 1100 species and 53 genera: pantropical ; 11 genera and 24 species (six endemic) in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Primulanae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1996
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Manilkara elata (Allem?o ex Miq.) Monach.
Publishing author : Allem. ex Miq. Publication : Fl. Bras. (Martius) 7: 42
Members of the genus Mimusops
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 2 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 425.
- A manual of the timbers of the world: their characteristics and uses: to which is appended an account by S. Fitzgerald of the artificial seasoning of timber. London: Macmillan, 1920. url , , .
- A practical flora for schools and colleges, by Oliver R. Willis. New York, American Book Co.[c1894] url p. 176.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 363.
- Annual report of the State Horticultural Society of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: The Society, 1889-1891. url p. 401.
- Commercial botany of the nineteenth century. A record of progress in the utilisation of vegetable products in the United Kingdom, and the introduction of economic plants into the British colonies, during the present century. London [etc.]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1890. url , .
- Hevea brasiliensis, or Para rubber, its botany, cultivation, chemistry and diseases, by Herbert Wright. Colombo, Messrs. A. M. & J. Ferguson, 1906. url p. 110.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 91.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 101, p. 102, p. 104.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 249.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 365.
- The Andes and the Amazon: or across the continent of South America / New York: Harper & Brothers, 1876 url p. 500.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 699.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 249.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 686.
- Li Shu-gang (as Lee Shu-kang). 1987. Sapotaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 60(1): 47-83.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.