Herbs, relatively small. Stems terete
or rarely quadrangular
(Mazus lanceifolius), erect
from lower nodes. Leaves in a rosette or opposite, often upper leaves alternate; petiole
; bracts small. Bracteoles present or absent. Flowers small. Calyx funnelform
, 5-lobed. Corolla 2-lipped, palate
with 2 longitudinal
; lower lip 3-lobed; upper lip 2-lobed. Stamens 4, didynamous
on corolla tube
locules divergent, apically connivent. Ovary hairy
. Style glabrous; stigma 2-lamellate. Capsule compressed
in cupular persistent
calyx, loculicidal. Seeds small, numerous
About 35 species: China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Russia, Vietnam; Australia, New Zealand; 25 species in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Mazus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
M. japonicus 'Albiflorus' (White-Flowered Mazus) · M. miquelii (Creeping Mazus) · M. pumilio (Swamp Mazus) · M. pumilus (Japanese Mazus) · M. repans (Mazus) · M. reptans 'Alba' (Mazus) · M. reptans 'Albus' (Mazus) · M. reptans 'Purple' (Mazus)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A dictionary of modern gardening / by George William Johnson. .. with one hundred and eighty wood cuts. Edited, with numerous additions, by David Landreth. Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url p. 368.
- A dictionary of modern gardening. Philadelphia, Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url p. 368.
- Alpine plants, a practical manual for their culture, with a supplementary essay on The small rock-garden. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1906, 1907. url .
- Alpine plants: a practical method for growing the rarer and more difficult alpine flowers / by W.A. Clark; with illustrations from photographs by Clarence Elliott. London: C. Scribner, 1901. url p. 61.
- Alpines and bog-plants / by Reginald Farrer. London, Arnold, 1908. url p. 149.
- Alpines and bog-plants, London, E. Arnold, 1908. url .
- An elementary text-book of botany, for the use of Japanese students Tokyo, 1893. url , .
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 904.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 432.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 31 1931 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 230.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1904-05 1905 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 10, p. 13, p. 17, p. 174, p. 19, p. 20, p. 426.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 35.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 370, p. 551.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 144.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 144.
- Dr. John Fothergill and his friends; chapters in eighteenth century life; by R. Hingston Fox. London: Macmillan, 1919. url p. 205.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 78.
- Flora costaricensis / William Burger, editor. 41 2000 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, c2000. url p. 172, p. 51.
- Flora hongkongensis: a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. London, L. Reeve, 1861. url .
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 795.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 725.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1365.
- Griffith, W. Posthumous papers bequeathed to the honorable, the East India company, and printed by order of the government of Bengal.: Notulæ ad plantas asiaticas /by the late William Griffith; arranged by John M'Clelland. 1847 Calcutta: Bishop's college press, 1847-1854. url p. 260.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 727.
- Hooker's journal of botany and Kew Garden miscellany. 5 1853 London: Reeve, Benham, and Reeve, 1849-1857. url p. 130.
- Hooker, J. D. & T. Thomson Flora indica: being a systematic account of the plants of British India, together with observations on the structure and affinities of their natural orders and genera /by J.D. Hooker and Thomas Thomson. 1855 London: W. Pamplin, 1855. url p. 272.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 505.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url , , p. 74, p. 77.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 131, p. 209.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 39 1938 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 301.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. Botany. 6 1862 London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts: ||Williams and Norgate, 1857-1864. url p. 191.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 485.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 161.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url p. 316.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 7 1912-1913 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 285.
- Observations on the flora of Japan. Tokyo, 1901-1914. url p. 76.
- Observations on the gestation of some sharks and rays / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1891. url p. 248.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 151.
- Plants of the Punjab: a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province, and Kashmir / by C.J. Bamber. Lahore: Supt. Govt. Printing, Punjab, 1916. url p. 189, p. 344, p. 422.
- Plants of the Punjab; a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province and Kashmir. LahorePrinted by The Superintendent Government Printing1916 url p. 189, p. 344, p. 422.
- Rock gardening for amateurs, by H. H. Thomas assisted by S. Arnott; beautifully illustrated with twelve direct colour photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke, sixty-four half-tone plates and numerous sketches. London, Cassell and company, limited, 1914. url p. 237.
- Rock gardens; how to make and maintain them, by Lewis B. Meredith, with an introduction by F. W. Moore. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 308.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 462.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1367, p. 1470, p. 639.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , , p. 129, p. 139, p. 154, p. 178, p. 295, p. 326, p. 423, p. 582.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , p. 158, p. 177, p. 190, p. 197, p. 210, p. 240, p. 277, p. 294, p. 36, p. 366, p. 37, p. 380, p. 386, p. 492.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 119, p. 16, p. 173, p. 212.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 26 1889-90 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 183, p. 443, p. 467, p. 69, p. 99.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 621.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. 4 1885 London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 260, p. 260.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The flora of the Nilgiri and Pulney Hill-tops / by P.F. Fyson; with 580 full page illustrations and 4 maps by Lady Bourne, Mrs. Fyson and others. Madras: Printed by the Supt., Govt. Press, 1915-1920. url p. 88.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 209, p. 300.
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown vol. II, containing III. systematic memoirs, and IV. contributions to systematic works. London: Published for the Ray Society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url .
- The rock garden, London, C. Scribner's sons, 1920. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 108.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 25, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 1796129
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15850138
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:805574-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 2091995