- Maranta arundinacea, cultivated for its starch-storing rhizome, is the mostly widely field-grown species of all the Marantaceae. In the early 1800s, it was commercially cultivated in Georgia and South Carolina (W. J. Titford 1812). This species is often referred to as St . Vincent arrowroot, after St. Vincent Island, West Indies, which is the major site of commercial production of the starch . The name arrowroot derives from its medicinal use as a poultice to remove arrow poison from wounds. The starch has also been used internally against ingested poison (R. Bentley and H. Trimen [1875--]1880, vol. 4, p. 265). Because the starch is so readily digested, it has been fed to infants, invalids , and those allergic to wheat. The cultivar 'Variegata,' with white and green variegated leaves, is often grown as an ornamental . [source]
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Chinese:
Zhu Yu, 竹芋
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Arrowroot, Pijlwortel, Salepwortel
Common Names in English:
Arrow-Root, Arrowroot, Bermuda Arrowroot, Maranta, Obedience plant, Stvincent Arrowroot, West Indian Arrowroot
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Arrow root, Arrowroot Des Antilles, Dictame (Antilles), Herbe Aux Flèches, Maranta Arundinacée
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Haitian, Haitian Creole:
Common Names in Hindi:
Tihhor, Tikhor, Tikkor, अरारोट, िटहुर
Common Names in Indonesian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Kuzu-Ukon, Kuzuukon, Maranta, クズウコン
Common Names in Malay:
Garut, Ubi Bemban, Ubi Garut, Yaitu Garut (Indonesia)
Common Names in Portuguese:
Agutiguepa, Agutiguepe, Araruta, Araruta (Brazil), Araruta-Caixulta, Araruta-Comum, Araruta-Especial, Araruta-Gigante, Araruta-Palmeira, Araruta-Raiz-Redonda, Araruta-Ramosa, Aru-Aru
Common Names in Russian:
Maranta Trostnikovaia Maranty Trostnikovoi, Маранта тростниковидная
Common Names in Sanskrit:
Common Names in Spanish:
Ararú, Araruta, Arrarú, Arrorúz, Arrorruz, Arrurruz, Arruruz, Caña Flecha, Chuchute Tamalera, Cuba, Guape, Guapo (Venezuela), Guate, Jamachipeke (Bolivia), Jamaichepeque, Juá-Juá (Bolivia, Juájuá, Maranta, Puerto Rico), Rizoma De Maranta, Sagú (Costa Rica, Sagú De San Vicente (Cuba), Saguero, Shimipampana (Peru), Shimipampana Blanco, Shimipampana Negro, Silú, Sucu, Sulú, Tacea, Tamalera (Guatemala), Tubérculo De Maranta, Uruguay), Yerén, Yuquilla
Common Names in Sundanese:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Tamil:
Aruruttukkilangu, Kukai Niru
Common Names in Thai:
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Vietnamese:
stems present or absent. Leaves distichous, usually large; petiole
, apex with a swollen pulvinus; leaf blade
pinnately veined, lateral
veins parallel, slightly S-shaped. Inflorescences terminal
, borne on leafy shoots
or occasionally on separate, leafless shoots from rhizomes, compound
, headlike, spicate
, or diffuse
and much branched, bracteate
; bracts each subtending
a pair of flowers or a cincinus of paired
flowers. Flowers bisexual
, paired or rarely borne singly. Sepals 3, free
. Corolla lobes
3, often slightly unequal, basally connate
into a tube
. Staminodes and stamen in 2 whorls: outer whorl with 1 or 2 petaloid
staminodes, rarely absent; inner whorl with 1 hooded
) staminode enclosing terminal portion of pistil at anthesis
and bearing a lateral appendage (trigger
), 1 thickened and fleshy
) staminode, and 1 fertile
stamen narrowly petaloid laterally; anther
1-loculed. Ovary inferior, 3-loculed, 1--3 locules fertile; ovules 1 per locule. Style cylindric
to inside of corolla and staminode tube, free portion curved
after explosive forward movement (tripping) when released Seeds 1--3, hard, usually arillate
.from hooded staminode; stigma scoop-shaped or blunted and 3-cleft. Fruit a capsule, loculicidal, rarely indehiscent or berrylike.
Thirty-one genera and ca. 525 species: pantropical but ca. 80% in America, absent from Australia; four genera (one introduced ) and eight species (two endemic, one introduced) in China.
, or upright, usually dying back to rhizome during dry season
, 0.1--1.5(--1.8) m.
Rhizomes occasionally swollen, storing starch
. Stems branched or unbranched with basal and cauline leaves to highly branched above elongate
, cane-like stem (internode) with few or no basal leaves
. Leaves homotropic [rarely antitropic]; sheath
, not spongy
. Inflorescences usually 2--several per shoot
, spikel-like, unbranched; bracts persistent
flower pairs, herbaceous; prophylls keeled
, membranous; secondary bracts absent; bracteoles usually absent. Flowers self-fertilizing [or outcrossing], corolla white, staminodes white [purple]; sepals persistent in fruit, more than 5 mm, herbaceous; corolla tube
[4--]12--14 mm, corolla lobes
unequal; outer staminodes 2, petal-like; callose
staminode apex usually petal-like; cucullate
staminode with 1 appendage
], flaplike [fingerlike]; stylar
movement in single plane
; style unappendaged. Fruits capsules, 1-seeded, obliquely ellipsoid
, pericarp relatively thin, dehiscent
. Seeds brown, ellipsoid, rugose
canal 1, distally branched; aril conspicuous
Species 32: tropical and subtropical regions, s Mexico, West Indies, Central America, South America (to n Argentina).
Species Maranta arundinacea
Plants erect , 0.3--1.3 m. Rhizomes tuberous , thickened. Stem often branched above. Leaves: basal 4--8, cauline 1--8; sheath auriculate , 4.5--31 cm, margins and apex densely pilose to nearly glabrous ; petiole often absent in cauline leaves, 3.5--20 cm; pulvinus 0.2--1.8 cm, adaxially tomentose ; blade ovate , 3.5--35 ´ 3--11 cm, basal leaves largest, abaxially glabrous to minutely pilose, adaxially sparsely minutely pilose. Inflorescences: bracts 1--2(--3), 2.4--6 cm; common pedicel of flower pair 2.3--5.5 cm. Flowers: sepals 10--17 mm; corolla white, corolla tube curved , 12--14 mm; staminodes white; ovary tan, densely pubescent , rarely glabrous or nearly glabrous. Fruits green or tinged red-brown, 8 ´ 4--5 mm. 2n = 18, 2n = 48. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: January, May, June, July, November, December.
Hammocks and moist soil; 0--10 m ; introduced .
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Grisebach, 1854
- Family: Marantaceae () - R. Br., in Flinders, 1814, nom. cons. - Prayer-Plant Family
- Order: Zingiberales () - Grisebach, 1854
- Superorder: Lilianae () - Takhtajan, 1967 - Monocots
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967 - Angiosperms
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Maranta sylvatica Roscoe Ex Smith
Publishing author : Billb. ex Beurl. Publication : Kongl. Vetensk.-Akad. Handl. 1854 (1856) 108
Members of the genus Maranta
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 9 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
M. allouia (Llerenes) · M. arundinacea (Arrow-Root) · M. arundinacea 'Variegata' (Arrowroot) · M. bicolor (Prayer Plant) · M. galanga (Greater Galangal) · M. leuconeura (Prayer Plant) · M. leuconeura var. erythroneura (Herringbone Plant) · M. leuconeura var. kerchoveana (Rabbit's Foot) · M. zebrina (Zebra Plant)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 235.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 217.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 55, p. 688.
- A dictionary of the plant names of the Philippine Islands / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1903. url p. 14, p. 20, p. 61.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical. In two parts. Part I. Outlines of organography, anatomy, and physiology. Part II. Descriptions and illustrations of the orders. By Emm. Le Maout [and] J. Decaisne. With 5500 figures by L. Steinheil a London, Longmans, Green & Co.1873. url .
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 327.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 327.
- A handbook of tropical gardening and planting, with special reference to Ceylon, by H. F. Macmillan. .. Colombo, H.W. Cave & co., 1914. url , p. 225.
- A history of botany 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs History of botany, 1530-1860, ' by J. Reynolds Green. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 383.
- A history of the vegetable kingdom: embracing the whole physiology of plants with their uses to man and the lower animals, and their application in the arts, manufactures, and domestic economy. LondonBlackie1866 url p. viii.
- A history of the vegetable kingdom; embracing the physiology of plants, with their uses to man and the lower animals, and their application in the arts, manufactures, and domestic economy. Illus. by several hundred figures. London, Blackie and Son, 1855. url , .
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 141, p. 36, p. 519.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 672.
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 113.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 100, p. 595.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 251.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 143.
- A practical flora for schools and colleges, by Oliver R. Willis. New York, American Book Co.[c1894] url p. 261, p. 262.
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 84.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 563.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 166, p. 26.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url , .
- A text-book of human physiology. New York, Appleton, 1888. url p. 171.
- A text-book of human physiology: designed for the use of practitioners and students of medicine / by Austin Flint, Jr New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1886 url p. 181, p. 963.
- A text-book of tropical agriculture / by H.A. Alford Nicholls. London; Macmillan, 1906. url , .
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 395, p. 566.
- Addisonia: colored illustrations and popular descriptions of plants. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1916-. url p. 43.
- Agricultural development in Clear Creek: adaptive strategies and economic roles in a Dominican settlement / by Robert Wendell Werge. 1975. url p. 74.
- Agriculture in the tropics; an elementary treatise, by J. C. Willis. Cambridge, University Press, 1922. url p. 52.
- An anatomical atlas of vegetable powders. London, Churchill, 1904. url p. 12, p. 15.
- An annotated catalogue of types of the University of Illinois mycological collections (ILL) / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1997. url p. 199.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 377.
- An elementary text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. .. London: S. Sonnenschein & co., lim.;1898. url p. 503.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 930, p. 933.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url p. 1200, p. 197.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 930, p. 933.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 250.
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 110, p. 501, p. 533.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 110.
- An introduction to botany. By John Lindley. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1848. url p. 121.
- An introduction to the natural system of botany: or, A systematic view of the organization, natural affinities, and geographical distribution of the whole vegetable kingdom; together with the uses of the most important species in medicine, the arts, By John Lindley. New York, G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 267, p. 380.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 21.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 13 1896 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 212, p. 316.
- Annual report of the Director of the Bureau of Science. .. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1906- url p. 51.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Museum of Natural History Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1907-1943. url p. 135.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 496.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 496.
- Bacteriological methods in food and drug laboratories, with an introduction to micro-analytical methods by Albert Schneider. .. 87 illustrations and 6 full page plates. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1915] url .
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 347.
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 23 1971-1974 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 33.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 270, p. 273.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , , p. 248, p. 250.
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1885. url .
- Botany of the Bermudas / by H.B. Small. Hamilton, Bermuda: S. Nelmes, 1913. url p. 81.
- Botany of the Bermudas, Hamilton, BermudaS. Nelmes, 1913. url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 112.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 153, p. 17, p. 3, p. 511, p. 698.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 117.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1912 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 119, p. 75.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 390.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 5 1906-1908 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 113, p. 137, p. 185, p. 5.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 19.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url , , , p. 194, p. 20, p. 224, p. 256, p. 311, p. 335, p. 338, p. 813, p. 814, p. 815, p. 818, p. 819, p. 820, p. 821, p. 822, p. 823, p. 824, p. 826, p. 827, p. 829, p. 830, p. 831, p. 838.
- Catalogue of agricultural and horticultural implements. .. New-York, 1851. url p. 107.
- Catalogue of economic plants in the collection of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 148, p. 617.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 148, p. 208, p. 617.
- Catalogue of the Hanbury Herbarium, in the Museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain / compiled by E.M. Holmes. London: Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 1892. url p. 122.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 142.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 236, p. 238.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 741.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 112, p. 166, p. 408, p. 578.
- Class-book of botany: being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / New York: A. S. Barnes & Burr, 1863, c1860. url .
- Colonial and Indian Exhibition, 1886 official catalogue. London: W. Clowes, 1886. url , .
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 39.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 27 1928 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 121, p. 185, p. 197, p. 318, p. 319, p. 359, p. 399, p. 405, p. 461, p. 54, p. 551, p. 62, p. 7, p. 91, plate XXV.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 14 1980 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 101, p. 117, p. 21, p. 27, p. 91, p. xiii.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 112.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 111, p. 138.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1270.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 49 1822 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , p. 5.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 100, p. 983.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 199, p. 686.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 199, p. 686.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 38.
- Department of the Interior, Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1902-1906. url p. 60.
- Descriptive catalogue of the Formosan fungi / by Kaneyoshi Sawoda. Taihoku, Formosa: Agricultural Experiment Station, 1919- url p. 171, p. 197, p. 201, p. 255.
- Dictionary of arts, manufactures, and mines containing a clear exposition of their principles and practice by Robert Hunt, assisted by F.W. Rudler. London, Longmans, 1875-78. url p. 211, p. 887.
- Dictionary of the common names of plants with list of foreign plants cultivated in the open / by Rudolf Marloth. Cape Town: Specialty Press of South Africa, 1917. url p. 146.
- Economic plants. An index to economic products of the vegetable kingdom in Jamaica. Comp. by William Fawcett. .. Jamaica, Govt. Print. Establishment, 1891. url p. 54.
- Elements of botany: structural, physiological, systematical, and medical / by John Lindley. London: Printed for Taylor and Walton, 1841. url p. 177.
- Elements of the science of botany, as established by Linnaeus; with examples to illustrate the classes and orders of his system. London, Printed by T. Bensley for J. Murray.1812. url p. 19.
- Elements of vegetable histology, Baltimore, Md., The author, 1905 url p. 70.
- Emergency food plants and poisonous plants of the islands of the Pacific / [E.D. Merrill] Washington, D.C.: U.S. Govt. Print. Office, 1943. url , p. 145, p. 38, p. 39.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 598.
- Experimental evolution; lectures delivered in the "Summer School of Art and Science", University Hall, Edinburgh (August, 1891) by Henry de Varigny. and New York, Macmillan and Co., 1892. url p. 175.
- Facts for farmers; New York, A.J. Johnson;1867. url p. 496.
- Facts for farmers; also for the family circle. A compost of rich materials for all land-owners, about domestic animals and domestic economy; farm buildings; gardens, orchids, and vineyards; and all farm crops, tools, fences, fertilization, drainin Edited by Solon Robinson. New York, Johnson and Ward, 1865. url p. 496.
- Familiar lectures on botany, explaining the structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the Linnaean and natural methods, with a flora for practical botanists. By Almira H. Lincoln. New York, F. J. Huntington, 1854. url p. 208.
- Flora Indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants / by the late William Roxburgh. Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 29.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 218.
- Flora barbadensis: a catalogue of plants, indigenous, naturalized, and cultivated, in Barbados: to which is prefixed, a geological description of the island /by James Dottin Maycock. 1830 London: J. Ridgeway, 1830. url p. 419.
- Flora medica; a botanical account of all the more important plants used in medicine in different parts of the world. London, Longman, 1838. url p. 569.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 88.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 88.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 195.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1952 Chicago: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1952. url p. 216, fig. 40, page 217, p. 218.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 741, p. 766.
- Flora of Yucatan, by Paul C. Standley. 3 1930 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 237.
- Flora of the Aguan valley and the coastal regions near La Ceiba, Honduras, by T. G. Yuncker. 9 1940 [Chicago]1940. url p. 271.
- Flora of the Lancetilla Valley, Honduras, by Paul C. Standley. 10 1931 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1931. url p. 143.
- Flora of the islands of Margarita and Coche, Venezuela / by John Robert Johnston. Boston: Gray Herbarium of Harvard University, 1909. url p. 284.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1322, p. 308.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url .
- Flowers, fruits and leaves. London: Macmillan, 1886. url .
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 329, p. 551.
- Fragmenta Florae Philippinae: contributions to the flora of the Philippine Islands / by J. Perkins. Leipzig: Gebr. Borntraeger, 1904-1905. url p. 73.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 273, p. 52.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url , .
- Glimpses into the life of Indian plants: an elementary Indian botany / by I. Pfleiderer. Mangalore: Basel Mission Book and Tract Depository, 1916. url p. 165.
- Green manures and manuring in the tropics, including an account of the economic value of leguminosæ as sources of foodstuffs, vegetable oils, drugs, &c. By P. de Sornay. .. tr. by F.W. Flattely. .. from the well-known work, "Les plantes tropicales alimentaires et industrielles de la famille des légumineuses." London, J. Bale, Sons & Danielsson, Ltd., 1916. url .
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 781.
- Hand-book of Indian agriculture, by Nitya Gopal Mukerji. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink & co., 1901. url p. 477, p. 478.
- Hand-list of tender momocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. London, Printed for H. M. S. O., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1897. url p. 33, p. 39.
- Hand-list of tender monocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. 1897. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode1897 url p. 33.
- Handbook of practical botany for the botanical laboratory and private student / by E. Strasburger; translated and edited from the German with many additional notes by W. Hillhouse. London: Macmillan, 1900. url p. 18, p. 508.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 165.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 33, p. 401.
- History of vegetable substances used in the arts, in domestic economy, and for the food of man. Boston: Lilly, Wait, Colman and Holden, 1833. url , p. 161, p. 162.
- Hortus Veitchii: a history of the rise and progress of the nurseries of Messrs. James Veitch and sons, together with an account of the botanical collectors and hybridists employed by them and a list of the most remark by James H. Veitch; with fifty illustrations. London: J. Veitch & sons, 1906. url p. 280.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 574, p. 575.
- How crops grow A treatise of the chemical composition, structure, and life of the plant, for all students of agriculture. .. By Samuel W. Johnson New York, Orange Judd & company[c1868] url p. 63.
- How crops grow. A treatise of the chemical composition, structure, and life of the plant, for all students of agriculture. .. By Samuel W. Johnson. .. New York, Orange Judd & company[c1868] url p. 63, p. 63.
- How crops grow. A treatise on the chemical composition, structure and life of the plant, for students of agriculture. With numerous illustrations and tables of analyses. By Samuel W. Johnson. New York: Orange Judd company, 1911 [c1890] url p. 49.
- How crops grow; a treatise on the chemical composition, structure and life of the plant, for students of agriculture, with numerous illustrations and tables of analyses. New York, O. Judd, 1888. url p. 63.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 83.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 248, p. 300.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 135, p. 628.
- Introduction to botany, containing an explanation of the theory of that science, extracted from the works of Linnaeus, ed. by C. Stewart. Edinburgh, Bell, 1811. url p. 271.
- Introduction to structural and systematic botany and vegetable physiology: being a fifth and revised edition of The botanical text-book / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, 1877. url p. 490.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 88, p. 92.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 161.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 4 1908 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 637, p. 646, p. 651.
- Journal of Hymenoptera research. Washington, D.C.: International Society of Hymenopterists, [1992- url p. 39, p. 5, p. 8.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 25 1924 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 136, p. 304, p. 331, p. 400, p. 64, p. 86.
- Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. 32-33 1899-1900 Singapore: the Society, 1878-1922. url p. 176.
- Land use and population in St. Vincent, 1763-1960. A contribution to the study of the patterns of economic and demographic change in a small West Indian island. 1973. url p. 204, p. 205, p. 415.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Sydney Howard Vines. . Cambridge, Cambridgeshire: The University Press, 1886 url p. 539, p. 540.
- Liberia / by Sir Harry Johnson; with an appendix on the flora of Liberia by Dr. Otto Stapf. London: Hutchinson, 1906. url p. 657, p. 657.
- Liberia, by Sir Harry Johnston. With an appendix on the flora of Liberia, by Dr. Otto Stapf; 28 coloured illustrations by Sir Harry Johnston, 24 botanical drawings by Miss Matilda Smith, 402 black and white il London, Hutchinson, 1906. url p. 657.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1085, p. 1097, p. 1100.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 96.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 361.
- Materials for a flora of the Malayan peninsula, by H. N. Ridley. Singapore: Printed at the Methodist publishing house, 1907. url p. 38, p. 57, p. 61.
- Memoir of the late William Wright, M. D. with extracts from his correspondence, and a selection of his papers on medical and botanical subjects. Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1828. url p. 447.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 38.
- Monandrian plants of the order Scitamineae: chiefly drawn from living specimens in the botanic garden at Liverpool, arranged according to the system of Linnaeus with descriptions and observations /by William Roscoe. 1828 Liverpool: George Smith, 1828. url p. 43, maranta arundinacea.
- Niger flora; or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; includ London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.]1849. url p. 531.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 58.
- Official guide to the museums of economic botany. London, Printed for H.M. Stationary Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1895. url p. 11.
- Oliver, D. Flora of tropical Africa /by Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. 7 1897-1898 London: L. Reeve and co., 1868-1999. url p. 293.
- On the culture and commerce of cotton in India and elsewhere; with an account of the experiments made by the Hon. East India Company up to the present time. London: Smith, Elder, 1851. url p. 599.
- On the vegetation of the Bermudas by J. Matthew Jones. S.l.: s.n., 1874? url .
- Origin of cultivated plants / by Alphonse de Candolle. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1908. url p. 444, p. 456, p. 466, p. 81.
- Origin of cultivated plants, by Alphonse de Candolle. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1884. url p. 444, p. 456, p. 466, p. 81.
- Origin of cultivated plants. By Alphonse de Candolle. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1902. url p. 444, p. 456, p. 466, p. 81.
- Origin of cultivated plants. New York, Appleton, 1892. url , , .
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 108.
- Pamphlets on forestry in the Philippine Islands. [1900?- url p. 68.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 1507.
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 461, p. 79.
- Pharmacographia: a history of the principal drugs of vegetable origin met with in Great Britain and British India / by Friedrich A. Flückiger and Daniel Hanbury. London: Macmillan, 1879. url p. 629, p. 630, p. 789.
- Pharmazeutische Waarenkunde, von Dr. Otto Berg. Berlin, R. Gaertner, 1863. url p. 509.
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 398.
- Physiology at the farm in aid of rearing and feeding the live stock. Edinburgh and London, W. Blackwood and sons. url p. 326, p. 417, p. xxii.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 98.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 145.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, New York, A. T. De La Mare Co., Inc.[c1921] url .
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 14.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. xxvi.
- Principles of scientific botany, or, Botany as an inductive science by Dr. J.M. Schleiden. .. translated by Edwin Lankester. .. London: Printed for Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1849 url p. 17, p. 18.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 353.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 582.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url p. 93.
- Proceedings. London. url p. 598.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 124, p. 138, p. 333, p. 343.
- Rafinesque, C. S. Medical flora, or, Manual of the medical botany of the United States of North America. .. /by C.S. Rafinesque. 2 1830 Philadelphia: Atkinson & Alexander, 1828-1830. url p. 241.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological meeting Calcutta;Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-24. url p. 298, p. 328.
- Report on the agricultural resources and capabilities of Hawaii. Washington, Govt. Print. off., 1901. url p. 43.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 438.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url .
- Roxburgh, W. Flora indica;or, Descriptions of Indian plants, by the late William Roxburgh. Edited by Dr. William Carey; to which are added descriptions of plants more recently discovered by Dr. Nathaniel Wallich. Serampore, Printed at the Mission Press, 1820-24. url p. 29.
- Science progress. London: Scientific Press, [1894-1898] url p. 80.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 128.
- Seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1903-1913. url p. 36.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 462.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 298, p. 627.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 187, p. 388, p. 391.
- Select plants (exclusive of timber trees) readily eligible for Victorian industrial culture with indications of their native countries and some of their uses; an enumeration / offered by Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: s.n., 1872 url p. 73.
- Sketch of the forestry of West Africa with particular reference to its present principal commercial products. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1887. url , .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 112.
- Species Blancoanae: a critical revision of the Philippine species of plants described by Blanco and by Llanos /by E.D. Merrill. 1918 Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1918. url p. 408.
- Spices and condiments. By Clifford Richardson. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1887. url p. 159.
- Spices and how to know them, by W.M. Gibbs. Buffalo, N.Y., The Matthews-Northrup Works, 1909. url p. 22.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 20, p. 281.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 745.
- Stray leaves of science and folk-lore. London: Tinsley Bros., 1870. url p. 67.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 354.
- Suggestions received by the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India for extending the cultivation and introduction of useful and ornamental plants: with a view to the improvement of the agricultural and commercial resources of India / compiled by Henry Harpur Spry. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1841. url p. 177, p. 18.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 2194.
- The American farm book or compend of American agriculture; being a practical treatise on soils, manures, draining, irrigation, grasses, grain, roots, fruits. .. by R. L. Allen N. Y.C. M. Saxon1850 url p. 241.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia and dictionary of rural affairs: embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry / adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 112.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia: embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, and the use of mineral, vegetable and animal manures, with descriptions and figures of American insects, injurious to vegetation. Being by Gouverneur Emerson, of Pennsylvania, upon the basis of Johnson's Farmer's encyclopedia. New York: A.O. Moore, Agricultural Book Publisher, 1858, [c1857] url p. 112.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia; embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 1013, p. 112.
- The American gardener's calendar; adapted to the climates and seasons of the United States. Containing a complete account of all the work necessary to be done. .. for every month in the year; with ample practical directions for performing the same. .. By Bernard M'Mahon. Philadelphia, Printed by B. Graves, no. 40, North Fourth-Street, for the author, 1806. url p. 639.
- The American gardener's magazine and register of useful discoveries and improvements in horticulture and rural affairs. Boston: Printed for Russell, Shattuck & Williams, & Hovey & Co., 1835- url p. 32, p. 348.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 154, p. 302, p. 35.
- The American journal of science. 10(2) 1850 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 212, p. 302.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 160.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 204.
- The Colony of Natal: an account of the characteristics and capabilities of this british dependency / compiled and edited by Robert James Mann. London: Jarrold and Sons, . url p. 91.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1274.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 260, p. 277, p. 345, p. 39, p. 43, p. 560.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1846 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url , p. 186, p. 428, p. 552, p. 573, p. 805.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 281, p. 290, p. 292, p. 335, p. 65, p. 687, p. 73, p. 731, p. 753, p. 786, p. 81.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url .
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 140, p. 142, p. 143.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 25 1890 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 274, p. 294, p. 467.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 193, p. 471.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 157.
- The Philippine journal of science. 4 1909 Manila. url p. 197, p. 198, p. 37, p. 377, p. 545, p. 549, p. 69, p. 96.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 112.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1032, p. 197.
- The Solomon Islands and their natives / by H.B. Guppy. London: Swan Sonnenschein, Lowrey, 1887. url p. 90.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 485.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 1150.
- The bulb book; or, Bulbous and tuberous plants for the open air, stove, and greenhouse, containing particulars as to descriptions, culture, propagation, etc.. .. by John Weathers. London, J. Murray, 1911. url p. 350.
- The classification of flowering plants. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1904-25. url p. 342.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 1170, p. 444, p. 773.
- The commercial products of the vegetable kingdom, considered in their various uses to man and in their relation to the arts and manufactures; forming a practical treatise and handbook of reference for the colonist, manufacturer, merchant, and consume London, Day, 1854. url p. 334, p. 345.
- The desert world. From the French of Arthur Mangin. Edited and enlarged by the translator of "The bird, by Michelet." With 160 illustrations by W. Freeman, Foulquier, and Yan Dargent. London, T. Nelson, 1869. url p. 442.
- The differential analysis of starches, by James B. McNair. 9 1930 Chicago, 1930. url p. 14, p. 19, p. 20, p. 23, p. 27, p. 28, p. 31, p. 33, p. 34, p. 36, p. 38, p. 39, p. 42.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url , p. 15, p. 335, p. 338, p. 813, p. 814, p. 815, p. 818, p. 819, p. 820, p. 821, p. 822, p. 823, p. 824, p. 826, p. 827, p. 829, p. 830, p. 831, p. xv.
- The elements of botany embracing organography, histology, vegetable physiology, systematic botany and economic botany. .. together with a complete glossary of botanical terms Philadelphia, J. E. Potter and Company[c1883] url .
- The evolution theory. Translated with the author's co-operation by J. Arthur Thomson and Margaret R. Thomson. LondonE. Arnold1904 url p. 261.
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopaedia of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, suited to the comprehension of unscientific readers. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. With extensive additions adapting the work to the United States. .. By Gouverneur Emerson. .. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1868. url p. 1013.
- The farmer's encyclopædia, and dictionary of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry. Adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers. .. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. Adapted to the United States by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 1011, p. 112.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 543, p. 663.
- The flora of St. Croix and the Virgin Islands, by Baron H.F.A. Eggers. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 112, p. 127.
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 38.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands. .. by I. Boldingh. Leyden, E. J. Brill, 1909-14. url p. 169, p. 186, p. 19.
- The flowering plants, grasses, sedges, & ferns of Great Britain and their allies, the club mosses, horsetails, etc. London, F. Warne, 1905. url .
- The forests and flora of British Honduras / by Paul C. Standley and Samuel J. Record; in cooperation with the Conservator of Forests and the Agricultural Officer of the Colony. 12 1936 Chicago: [Field Museum of Natural History], 1936. url p. 96.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 255.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 204.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 326, p. 392.
- The manufacture of chocolate and other cacao preparations / Berlin W.: M. Krayn; 1915. url p. 237.
- The microanalysis of powdered vegetable drugs, by Albert Schneider. .. with 237 illustrations Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1921] url p. 206.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 73, p. 734, p. 734.
- The naturalist in Bermuda; a sketch of the geology, zoology, and botany of that remarkable group of islands; together with meteorological observations. London, Reeves & Turner, 1859. url , .
- The power of movement in plants / New York: D. Appleton, 1897. url , .
- The power of movement in plants / by Charles Darwin, assisted by Francis Darwin. New York: D. Appleton, 1898. url p. 389.
- The power of movement in plants, New York, Appleton, 1896. url .
- The power of movement in plants. By Charles Darwin. .. assisted by Francis Darwin. New York, Appleton, 1881. url p. 319, p. 389.
- The practical American gardener; Baltimore, F. Lucas, jr., 1819. url p. 397.
- The principal starches used as food: illustrated with photo-micographys with a short description of their origin and characters / Cirencester [England]: Baily & Son, 1892. url , .
- The progressive farmer: a scientific treatise on agricultural chemistry, the geology of agriculture, on plants, animals, manures, and soils applied to practical agriculture / by J.A. Nash. New York: C.M. Saxton, Barker & Co., 1861. url p. 93.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1994, p. 1995, p. 22, p. 2604, p. 397.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 145, p. 187, p. 188, p. 318, p. 319, p. 368, p. 7.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 206, p. 29, p. 30.
- The vegetable kingdom. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[184?] url p. 59.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 169.
- The voyage of the "Challenger": the Atlantic: a preliminary account of the general results of the exploring voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" during the year 1873 and the early part of the year 1876 / by Sir C. Wyville Thomson. New York: Harper, 1878. url p. 317.
- The world's commercial products; a descriptive account of the economic plants of the world and of their commercial uses by W. G. Freeman and S. E. Chandler. .. with contributions by T. A. Henry, C. E. Jones, and E. H. Wilson. London, Sir I. Pitman and sons, limited1907. url p. 74.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Tobacco and its adulterations / with illustrations drawn & etched by Henry P. Prescott. London: J. van Voorst, 1858. url p. 73.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 112.
- Trinidad, its geography, natural resources, administration, present condition, and prospects. London, Cassell, 1884. url p. 256.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url , .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 151, p. 368.
- United States exploring expedition. During the year 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842. Under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N... Philadelphia: Printed by C. Sherman, 1844-74. url p. 337.
- Vegetable technology; a contribution towards a bibliography of economic botany, with a comprehensive subject-index. By Benjamin Daydon Jackson. .. Founded upon the collections of George James Symons, F. R. S. London, Pub. for the Index society, by Longmans, Green & co. [etc.]1882. url p. 160, p. 29.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 328, p. 340, p. 442, p. 564, p. 979.
- Veterinary medicines 1911 url p. 663.
- Veterinary medicines: their actions and uses / by Finlay Dun. .. ed. by James MacQueen. New York: W.R. Jenkins, 1906. url p. 654.
- Viti: an account of a government mission to the Vitian or Fijian Islands, in the years 1860-61. Cambridge [etc.]Macmillan & co., 1862. url .
- Wallich, N. Plantae Asiaticae rariores, or, Descriptions and figures of a select number of unpublished East Indian plants /by N. Wallich. 3 1832 London: Treuttel and Wu?rtz, 1830-32. url p. 51.
- Wanderings in South America, the North-west of the United States and the Antilles, in the years 1812, 1816, 1820, & 1824: with original instructions for the perfect preservation of birds, etc. for cabinets of natural history / London; Macmillan, 1878, 1889 printing. url .
- Wanderings in South America, the north-west of the United States, and the Antilles, in the years 1812, 1816, 1820, & 1824: with original instruction for the perfect preservation of birds, etc. for cabinets of natural history / ed. with biographical introduction and explanatory index by J.G. Wood. London: Macmillan, 1889. url p. 372, p. 516.
- Wöhler's Outlines of organic chemistry By Rudolph Fittig. .. Tr. from the 8th German ed. with additions, by Ira Remsen Philadelphia, H.C. Lea, 1873 url p. 204, p. 204.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url , p. 318, p. 319, p. 59.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 14, p. 20, p. 29, p. 60, p. 61, p. 84.
- In: Wu Te-lin, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 16(2): 158--169.
- Wu Te-lin & Chen Sen-jen. 1981. Marantaceae.
- Andersson, L. 1986. Revision of Maranta subgen. Maranta. Nordic J. Bot. 6: 729--756. Anonymous. 1893. St. Vincent arrowroot. Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew 1893: 191--204.
- Hodge, W. H. and D. Taylor. 1957. The ethnobotany of the Island Caribs of Dominica. Webbia 12: 513--644.
- Morton, J. F. 1977. Wild Plants for Survival in South Florida, ed. 4. Miami.
- Purseglove, J. W. 1972. Tropical Crops. Monocotyledons. 2 vols. London. Pp. 336--342.
- Sturtevant, W. C. 1969. History and ethnography of some West Indian starches. In: P. J. Ucko and G. W. Dimbleby, eds. 1969. The Domestication and Exploitation of Plants and Animals. Chicago. Pp. 177--199.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 16, 2007:
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Andes to Amazon Biodiversity Program
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2668051
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Kew-253261
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13760218
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:797248-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 23393
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 503694
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 797248-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMMAR02010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: MAAR3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 49160
- Delin Wu & Helen Kennedy "Marantaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 24 Page 379. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Maranta". in Flora of North America Vol. 22. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Maranta arundinacea". in Flora of North America Vol. 22. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]