Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Chinese:
Jia Ma La, Xiang Gui Shu
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Russian:
Mallot Filippinskii, Mallot Kamala, Malotus Filippinskii
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Thai:
Kham Daeng, Kham Saet, Khi Nuea (Chiang Mai)
The Euphorbiaceae are mostly monoecious herbs, shrubs , and trees , sometimes succulent and cactus-like, comprising one of the largest families of plants with about 300 genera and 7,500 species that are further characterized by the frequent occurrence of milky sap . The leaves are mostly alternate but may be opposite or whorled and they are simple , or compound , or sometimes highly reduced. Stipules are generally present but may be reduced to hairs , glands or spines. The flowers are unisexual and usually actinomorphic . They may be highly reduced by suppression of parts, in the extreme form consisting of a naked stamen as a male flower and a naked pistil as a female flower. A specialized type of miniature inflorescence called a cyathium occurs in about 1,500 species comprising the genera Euphorbia and Chamaesyce. The cyathium consists of a single naked pistillate flower surrounded by cymes of naked staminate flowers, each consisting of a single stamen. These flowers are all enclosed in a cup-like involucre that typically is provided with peripheral nectaries and petaloid appendages such that the whole aggregation closely resembles a single flower. In other members of the family the flowers and inflorescences are more ordinary in appearance , with male and female flowers typically bearing a 5-merous calyx and corolla of distinct segments, although the corolla is sometimes absent. In these forms the androecium most commonly consists of 5, 10 or sometimes numerous distinct or monadelphous stamens. The gynoecium of female flowers consists of a single compound pistil of typically 3 carpels, an equal number of styles or primary style branches, and a superior ovary with typically 3 locules, each bearing 1 or 2 collateral , axile-apical pendulous ovules. The fruit is usually a capsular schizocarp. -- Gerald Carr.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Order: Malpighiales () - C. Martius, 1835
- Superorder: Euphorbianae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Mallotus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
M. apelta (Silver-Leaved Mallotus) · M. catervarius (Pacific Capelin) · M. japonicus (Food Wrapper Plant) · M. nepalensis (Nepal Mallotus) · M. philippensis (Euphorbia) · M. philippinensis (Kamala-Tree) · M. repandus (Creeping Mallotus) · M. villosus villosus (Capelin)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 243.
- A dictionary of the plant names of the Philippine Islands / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1903. url p. 116, p. 19, p. 36.
- A forest flora of Chota Nagpur including Gangpur and the Santal-Parganahs. A description of all the indigenous trees, shrubs and climbers, the principal economic herbs, and the most commonly cultivated trees and shrubs (with introduction and glossary) by H. H. Haines. Dehra Dun, India, Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, 1910. url p. 232.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 434.
- A manual of Indian timbers: an account of the structure, growth, distribution, and qualities of Indian woods. CalcuttaOffice of the Superintendent of Govt. Printing1881 url p. 347.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 589.
- A manual of botany for Indian forest students, by R. S. Hole. Calcutta, Superintendent Government Printing, India, 1909. url p. 225, p. 261.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 595.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url fig. 326, p. 589, p. 823.
- A systematic catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to or growing wild in Ceylon. Colombo: G. J. A. Skeen, 1885. url .
- A text book of materia medica, being an account of the more important crude drugs of vegetable and animal origin, designed for students of pharmacy and medicine. London, Churchill, 1920. url p. 408, p. 409.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 316.
- An anatomical atlas of vegetable powders. London, Churchill, 1904. url p. 284.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 339.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 348, p. 456, p. 568.
- Annals of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Peradeniya. Colombo: Skien; 1901-1924. url p. 203, p. 286, p. 292.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 285.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 285, p. 285, p. 591, p. 591.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 360.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 184.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 418, p. 459, p. 629.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 264.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 367.
- Bulletin. Manila, Bureau of printing, 1903- url p. 15.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 823.
- Chinese economic trees, [Shanghai]Printed by the Commercial Press, Ltd. url , , , p. 211, p. 23, p. 6.
- Commercial botany of the nineteenth century. A record of progress in the utilisation of vegetable products in the United Kingdom, and the introduction of economic plants into the British colonies, during the present century. By John R. Jackson. .. London [etc.]: Cassell & company, limited, 1890. url p. 166, p. 166, p. 98, p. 98.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 232, p. 412, p. 413, p. 426, p. 438, p. 443, p. 457, p. 551.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 67.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 607.
- Histology of medicinal plants, New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916 url p. 165, p. 71.
- Histology of medicinal plants, by William Mansfield. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916. url p. 165, p. 71.
- Histology of medicinal plants. New YorkWiley1916 url p. 165, p. 71.
- Illustrations of Australian plants collected in 1770 during Captain Cook's voyage round the world in H.M.S. Endeavour /by the Right Hon. Sir Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander, with determinations by James Britten. 3 1905 London, Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, sold by Longmans, 1900-05. url plate 293.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 338, p. 348.
- Indian Museum notes. Calcutta: [Indian Museum]: 1889-1903. url , p. 217, p. 4.
- Indian forest insects of economic importance. Coleoptera. LondonEyre & Spottiswoode1914 url p. 638, p. 74.
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 716.
- Insecutor inscitiae menstruus. Washington, D.C.: [Harrison G. Dyar], 1913-1926. url p. 143.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url p. 1458.
- Introduction to the systematy of Indian trees. LondonOxford University Press1921 url p. 37.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 98.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 6 1910 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 86.
- Journal of Indian botany. Madras: Methodist Pub. House, 1919-1923. url p. 252.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 24 2004 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 126.
- Leaflets of Philippine botany. 4 1911-1912 Manila: Oriental Printing Co., 1906-1939. url p. 1296.
- List of trees, shrubs, and principal climbers, etc., recorded from Burma: with vernacular names / by J.H. Lace. Rangoon, Burma: Supt., Govt. Print., 1922. url p. 344.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 211, p. 212.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 82.
- Medicinal plants. Being descriptions with original figures of the principal plants employed in medicine and an account of the characters, properties, and uses of their parts and products of medicinal value. By Robert Bentley and Henry Trimen. Plates by David Blair. In four volumes. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1880. url , , .
- Minor products of Philippine forests, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1920-1921. url , .
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 172, p. 358, p. 466.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 7 1912-1913 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 72.
- Notes on Siamese timber suitable for building purposes / Bangkok: [s.n.], 1908. url .
- Notes on the utilization of forests, being a course of lectures delivered at the Imperial Forest School, Dehra Dun, India. Roorkee, Printed at the Thomason Civil Engineering College Press, 1891. url .
- On some Indian forest grasses and their oecology, Calcutta, Superintendent Government Printing, India, 1911. url , , p. 45, p. 91.
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 355, p. 461.
- Pharmacographia Indica.by William Dymock, C.J.H. Warden, and David Hooper. 1890-1893 London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co., 1893. url p. 49.
- Philippine resins, gums, seed oils, and essential oils. By Augustus P. West. .. and William H. Brown. .. Manila, Bureau of printing, 1920. url p. 4.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 498, p. 526, p. 574, p. 620, p. 646.
- Plants of the Punjab: a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province, and Kashmir / by C.J. Bamber. Lahore: Supt. Govt. Printing, Punjab, 1916. url p. 38.
- Plants of the Punjab; a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province and Kashmir. LahorePrinted by The Superintendent Government Printing1916 url p. 38.
- Poisonous plants of all countries, by A. Bernhard-Smith. London, Baillière, Tindall & Cox, 1923. url p. 38.
- Poisonous plants of all countries. With the active, chemical principles which they contain; and the toxic symptoms produced by each group. Bristol [Eng.]J. Wright, 1905. url .
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , p. 168, p. 179, p. 261, p. 266, p. 267, p. 385, p. 785.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 362.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 391.
- Report on investigations made in Java in the year 1902. ManilaBureau of Public Printing1903 url .
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 190.
- Rough draft of a manual of Indian sylviculture / Dehra Dun [India]: Jubliee Press, 1891. url , .
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 3 1917 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 498, p. 526, p. 574, p. 646.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 394.
- Sino-Iranica; Chinese contributions to the history of civilization in ancient Iran, with special reference to the history of cultivated plants and products / by Berthold Laufer -- Chicago, 1919. url p. 316, p. 316, p. 619, p. 619.
- Technical series. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1895-1915. url p. 95.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 188.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 520.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 39.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 125, p. 237, p. 372, p. 440, p. 554.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 364.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 13 1873 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 122, p. 125, p. 440, p. 443, p. 478.
- The National Collection of Coccidae / by C.L. Marlatt. Washington: G.P.O., 1908. url p. 95.
- The Philippine journal of science. 1 1906 Manila. url p. 387, p. 389, p. 391, p. 415, p. 456.
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 168, p. 176, p. 559, p. 652, p. 743, p. 754, p. 790.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 1180, p. 755.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url p. 615.
- The flora sylvatica for southern India: containing quarto plates of all the principal timber trees in southern India and Ceylon, accompanied by a botanical manual, with descriptions of every known tree and shrub, and analysis of every genus Madras, Printed by Gantz Brothers[1869-73] url p. 289.
- The forest flora of north-west and central India: a handbook of the indigenous trees and shrubs of those countries / Commenced by by J. Lindsay Stewart. Continued and completed by Dietrich Brandis. Prepared at the herbarium of the Royal gardens, Kew. LondonW.H. Allen1874 url p. 444, p. xii.
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3627.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 73.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 116, p. 206.
- Useful plants and drugs of Iran and Iraq / by David Hooper. With notes by Henry Field. 9 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 138, p. 228, p. 234.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 396, p. 504, p. 618, p. 705, p. 711, p. 718, p. 736, p. 826, p. 875, p. 977.
- Veterinary materia medica and therapeutics / Chicago: American Veterinary Pub. Co., c1919. url .
- Veterinary medicines 1911 url p. 617.
- Veterinary medicines: their actions and uses / by Finlay Dun. .. ed. by James MacQueen. New York: W.R. Jenkins, 1906. url p. 611.
- Working-plan report of the Chappara, Dhooma and Nerbada ranges in the Seoni Division of the Southern Circle, Central Provinces. By Gangaprasad Khatri. .. Nagpur, 1901. url p. 5.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 116, p. 36.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-2006. Systema Naturae 2000. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Accessed October 11, 2006.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 02, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 02, 2008:
- Australian National Herbarium (CANB)
- Missouri Botanical Garden