Common Names in English:
Tufted Loosestrife, Tufted Yellow-Loosestrife, Water Loosestrife
, rarely suffruticose
. Leaves alternate, opposite, or whorled
, often all basal, simple
, entire to lobed
. Flowers solitary or in panicles, racemes
, or umbels, usually with bracts, perfect
, (4- or) 5(--9) -merous, often heterostylous (Primula) . Calyx persistent
. Corolla gamopetalous, actinomorphic
, rarely absent (Glaux) . Stamens as many as and opposite corolla lobes
, ± epipetalous
, occasionally with scalelike staminodes. Filaments
into a tube
. Ovary superior, rarely semi-inferior (Samolus), unilocular
; placentation free central; style simple; stigma inconspicuous, capitate. Fruit a capsule, dehiscing by valves
, rarely circumscissile or indehiscent. Seeds many or few; embryo small, straight, surrounded by endosperm.
The family contains 22 genera and ca. 1000 species, occurring mainly in temperate and mountainous regions of the northern hemisphere. Twelve genera and 517 species are widely distributed throughout China, but are represented mostly in the S and W regions. The centers of diversity for Primula, Androsace, and Omphalogramma are W Sichuan, E Xizang, and NW Yunnan. Lysimachia is also highly developed in provinces S of the Chang Jiang, while Pomatosace is an endemic genus confined to a small area of NW Sichuan and Qinghai.
Many species of Primula and Androsace are cultivated for their attractive flowers as pot plants , in rock gardens, or in garden borders . Some species of Lysimachia are used medicinally. Cyclamen persicum Miller is frequently cultivated as a pot plant.
, rarely suffruticose
, often with internal glands
appearing as pustulate dots or stripes
. Leaves alternate, opposite, or whorled
, usually entire. Flowers solitary in axils of upper leaves or in terminal
panicles or racemes
, often shortened into capitate clusters
, with bracts. Calyx usually 5(or rarely 6--9) -parted. Corolla white or yellow, rarely pink, homomorphic
, rarely heteromorphic, subrotate or campanulate
, deeply 5(or rarely 6--9) -parted; lobes
contorted in bud. Filaments
into a ring
and ± adnate
to corolla tube; anthers
or versatile opening by apical pores
or by lateral
slits. Capsule subglobose, usually dehiscing by valves
, rarely indehiscent.
Approximately 180 species in temperate and subtropical parts of the northern hemisphere, but with a few species in Africa, Australia, and South America; 138 species occur in China.
Species Lysimachia thyrsiflora
Herbs perennial , 30--80 cm tall, with horizontal rhizomes. Stems erect , usually simple , black glandular punctate , glabrous on lower part, puberulent on upper part. Lowest leaves scalelike, reduced. Leaves opposite, sessile, rarely indistinctly petiolate ; leaf blade lanceolate to elliptic-lanceolate, 5--15 X 0.6--2 cm, lower part tapering toward obtuse or semi-clasping base , abaxially glabrous except for sparingly villous midvein , sparsely black glandular punctate, adaxially glabrous, apex acute to acuminate. Racemes dense, capitate or spikelike, pedunculate , 1--3 cm, confined in axils of medial and upper leaves; peduncle 1.5--3 cm, glabrous or sparingly villous. Pedicel 1--3 mm, glabrous or sparingly villous. Calyx 2--3.5 mm, parted nearly to base; lobes usually 6 or 7, linear-lanceolate, black glandular punctate. Corolla cream-yellow, parted nearly to base; lobes usually same number as calyx lobes, linear , 5--6 X 0.5--1 mm, black glandular punctate and striate . Stamens ca. as long as to longer than corolla; filaments 4--5 mm, nearly free , adnate to base of corolla; anthers oblong , dorsifixed , ca. 1 mm. Ovary sparingly puberulent; style 4.5--6 mm. Capsule subglobose, ca. 2.5 mm in diam. Fl. May-Jun. 2n = 20, 40, 42. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: March, April, May. • Flower Color: pale yellow
Size: 6-12" tall.
Bog margins , marshes, moist meadows.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,672 meters (0 to 5,486 feet).
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 6.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1996
- Order: Ericales () - Dumortier, 1829
- Superorder: Primulanae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1996
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Naumburgia thyrsiflora (L.) Duby • Naumburgia thyrsiflora (L.) Rchb. • Naumburgia thyrsiflora (Linnaeus) Reichenbach. • Nummularia Thyrsiflora • Nummularia thyrsiflora (L.) Kuntze
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 147 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Lysimachia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 65 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
L. angusta (Loosestrife) · L. asperulifolia (Rough-Leaved Loosestrife) · L. atropurpurea (Purple Gooseneck Loosestrife) · L. atropurpurea 'Beaujolais' (Burgundy Gooseneck Loosestrife) · L. barystachys (Bog Loosestrife) · L. ciliata (Fringed Loosestrife) · L. ciliata 'Firecracker' (Firecracker Fringed Loosestrife) · L. ciliata 'Purpurea' (Purple Fringed Loosestrife) · L. clethroides (Goose-Neck Loosestrife) · L. clethroides var. crassifoliosa (Gooseneck Loosestrife) · L. commixta (Loosestrife) · L. congestiflora (Dense-Flowered Loosestrife) · L. congestiflora 'Eco Dark Satin' (Dense-Flowered Loosestrife) · L. congestiflora 'Outback Sunset' (Dense-Flowered Loosestrife) · L. congestiflora 'Persian Carpet' (Dense-Flowered Loosestrife) · L. congestiflora 'Persian Chocolate' (Dense-Flowered Loosestrife) · L. congestiflora 'Walkabout Sunset' (Dense-Flowered Loosestrife) · L. daphnoides (Lehua Makanoe) · L. ephemerum (Silver Loosestrife) · L. filifolia (Thread-Leaved Loosestrife) · L. forbesii (Castle Trail Yellow Loosestrife) · L. fraseri (Fraser Loosestrife) · L. glutinosa (Kokee Yellow Loosestrife) · L. graminea (Grass-Leaf Loosestrife) · L. hillebrandii (Kolokolo Kuahiwi) · L. hybrida (Lance-Leaf Loosestrife) · L. japonica (Japanese Loosestrife) · L. japonica 'Minutissima' (Circle Flower) · L. kalalauensis (Kauai Yellow Loosestrife) · L. lanceolata (Lance-Leaf Loosestrife) · L. lichiangensis (Loosestrife) · L. loomisii (Loomis' Loosestrife) · L. lydgatei (Lydgate's Loosestrife) · L. mauritiana (Spoon-Leaf Loosestrife) · L. maxima (Pelekunu Trail Yellow Loosestrife) · L. nummularia (Creeping Jennie) · L. nummularia f. longipes (Creeping Jenny) · L. nummularia 'Aurea' (Creeping Charlie) · L. nummularia 'Goldilocks' (Goldilocks Creeping Jenny) · L. procumbens (Golden Globe) · L. producta (Loosestrife) · L. punctata (Circle Flower) · L. punctata tomentosa (Large Yellow Loosestrife) · L. punctata 'Alexander' (Alexander Variegated Loosestrife) · L. punctata 'Golden Alexander' (Circle Flower) · L. quadriflora (Four-Flower Yellow-Loosestrife) · L. quadrifolia (Whorled Loosestrife) · L. quadrifolia var. variegata (Whorlde Loosestrife) · L. radfordii (Radford's Loosestrife) · L. radicans (Trailing Loosestrife) · L. remyi (Lysimachia) · L. ternifolia (Threeleaf Yellow Loosestrife) · L. terrestris (Earth Loosestrife) · L. thyrsiflora (Tufted Loosestrife) · L. tonsa (Appalachian Yellow Loosestrife) · L. venosa (Veined Yellow Loosestrife) · L. verticillata (Loosestrife) · L. vulgaris (Garden Loosestrife) · L. vulgaris var. davurica (Garden Loosestrife) · L. vulgaris var. typica (Loosestrife) · L. waianaeensis (Waianae Range Island-Loosestrife) · L. × commixta (Loosestrife) · L. x producta (Loosestrife) · L. × radfordii (Radford's Loosestrife) · L. yunnanensis (Yunnan Loosestrife Lysimachia Yunnanensis)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 107.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and vascular cryptogams, found in and near Lackawanna and Wyoming valleys, by William R. Dudley...and Charles O. Thurston...1892. Wilkes-Barre, Pa., E. B. Yordy, 1892. url .
- A catalogue of the phaenogamous plants of Great Britain: arranged according to the natural orders: with a copious list of synonyms carefully compiled from Steudel's Nomenclator botanicus, Smith's English flora, Hookers's British flora, Lindley's Synopsis, by Henry Ibbotson. London: H. Bailliere, 1848. url p. 100.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 112.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 74.
- A flora of northwest America containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia / Portland, Or.: [s.n.], 1901. url .
- A flora of northwest America, containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia. Portland, Or., 1903. url .
- A flora of northwest America: containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia / by Thomas Howell. Vol. 1, Phanerogamae. Portland, Or.: [s.n.], 1903. url p. 437.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 143.
- A preliminary catalogue of the flora of Vancouver and Queen Charlotte Islands. Victoria, B.C., Printed by W. H. Cullin, 1921. url p. 67.
- A preliminary list of the plants of New Brunswick compiled by James Fowler; with assistance of members of New Brunswick Natural History Society. Saint John, N.B.: Ellis, Robertson & Co., 1885. url .
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 75.
- A second edition of Webber's "Appendix to the catalogue of the flora of Nebraska" / with a supplementary list of recently reported species by Charles E. Bessey. Lincoln, Neb.: [University of Nebraska?, 1892] url p. 36.
- A spring flora for high schools, by Henry C. Cowles. .. and John G. Coulter. .. New York, American book company[c1915] url p. 104, p. 25.
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 10, p. 118, p. 118, p. 119, p. 121, p. 130, p. 131, p. 140, p. 141, p. 143, p. 145, p. 15, p. 151, p. 153, p. 163, p. 168, p. 17, p. 174, p. 18, p. 192, p. 20, p. 215, p. 23, p. 24, p. 244, p. 25, p. 27, p. 288, p. 293, p. 306, p. 33, p. 33, p. 394, p. 40, p. 44, p. 45, p. 5, p. 50, p. 53, p. 55, p. 58, p. 65, p. 69, p. 70, p. 71, p. 74, p. 75, p. 77, p. 82, p. 82, p. 84, p. 86, p. 88, p. 9, p. 95, p. 96, p. 99.
- Aeration and air-content; the role of oxygen in root activity, by Frederic E. Clements. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1921. url p. 115.
- Alpine flowers for English gardens / by W. Robinson. London: Murray, 1879. url p. 435, p. 436.
- An account of the plants collected by Mr. M. P. Price on the Carruthers-Miller-Price Expedition through North-West Mongolia and Chinese Dzungaria in 1910. London, 1913 url .
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 332.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 715.
- An introduction to systematic and physiological botany. by Thomas Nuttall. Cambridge [Mass.]Hilliard amd Brown;1827. url p. 68.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 13, p. 132, p. 15, p. 41.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 15 1904 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 45.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 110.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 634, p. 86.
- Annual report of the Regents of the University on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History, with catalogues of the same. Albany, N.Y.: The University, 1848-1873. url p. 31, p. 47.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 34.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 69.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 18, p. 22, p. 89.
- Bergen's botany, key and flora. Northern and central states ed. By Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 186.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 328.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url , , p. 188, p. 435, p. 79, p. 80, p. 83, p. 88, p. 91, p. 92, p. 97.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 159.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1920 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 354, p. 917.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 586.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 634.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 383.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute. url p. 109.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 363, p. 363, p. 650, p. 650.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 18 1891 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 122, p. XIII.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 4.
- Bulletin. California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco. San Francisco url p. 272, p. 383.
- Bulletins. Minneapolis url p. 364.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 115.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 314, p. 314.
- Catalogue of North American plants north of Mexico, exclusive of the lower cryptogams. [n. p.]1900. url , p. 157.
- Catalogue of plants found in New Jersey by N. L. Britton. Trenton: John L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1889 url p. 165.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 217, p. 569, p. 597.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 217, p. 569, p. 597.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the flora of Vermont, including phaenogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants growing without cultivation. Burlington, [Vt.]Free Press Association, 1888. url p. 34.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 316.
- Common and scientific names of weeds in Canada = Noms populaires et scientifiques des plantes nuisibles du Canada / Ottawa: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada = Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada, c2000. url p. 92.
- Comparative morphology and biology of the fungi, mycetozoa and bacteria / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1887. url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 168, p. 282, p. 448.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 24 2005 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 219.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 69.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 45 1818 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url .
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 355, p. 490.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 303, p. 440, p. 457, p. 49.
- Edwards's botanical register. 32 1846 London: James Ridgway, 1829-1847. url .
- Elements of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1904, pref. 1906] url .
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url .
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 54.
- Essentials of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1908] url , .
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 122.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota / D.A. Saunders. Brookings: U.S. Experiment Station, South Dakota: 1899. url p. 181.
- Flora Americae Septentrionalis: or, A systematic arrangement and description of the plants of North America. Containing, besides what have been described by preceding authors, many new and rare species, collected during twelve years by Frederick Pursh. .. London: Printed for James Black and son, 1816. url p. 135.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , , p. 35, p. 53, p. 80.
- Flora Scotica; or, A description of Scottish plants, arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods. London, Printed by R. and A. Taylor, for A. Constable, 1821. url p. 211.
- Flora Washingtonensis; a catalogue of the Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta of the state of Washington, n.p., 1892 url .
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 100.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , , p. 188, p. 314.
- Flora of Burlington and vicinity; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation, by Nellie F. Flynn. Burlington, Free Press Printing Co., 1911. url p. 71, p. 71.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 180.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 746, p. 747.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 716, p. 717.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, by L. L. Dame and F. S. Collins. Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url p. 65.
- Flora of Mount Desert island, Maine. A preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands. By Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield. With a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert island. Cambridge, Mass., J. Wilson and son, 1894. url p. 129.
- Flora of Onondaga county as collected by the members of the Syracuse Botanical Club. Compiled, classified and catalogued by L. Leonora Hutchinson Goodrich. Syracuse, N.Y., McDonnell, 1912. url p. 147.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 234.
- Flora of Vermont; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Ezra Brainerd, L.R. Jones and W.W. Eggleston, committee for the Vermont botanical club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Association, 1900. url p. 69.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 222.
- Flora of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island: with many references to Alaska and northern species / by Joseph Kaye Henry. Toronto: W.J. Gage, c1915. url p. 239.
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 55.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 299.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 199.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 448.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 448.
- Flora scotica, or, A description of Scottish plants arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods: in two parts / by William Jackson Hooker. .. Edinburgh: A. Constable, 1821. url p. 507, p. 72.
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants & ferns of Britain. London, R. Groombridge, 1841-48. url .
- Florula Bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 77.
- Florula bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 77.
- Flowers of the field. London, G. Routledge, 1908. url .
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 238.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Gray's lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by over 360 wood engravings, from original drawings, by Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co. url p. 273.
- Gray, A. A manual of the botany of the northern United States, from New England to Wisconsin and south to Ohio and Pennsylvania inclusive, (the mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant, ) arranged according to the natural system. 1848 Boston, J. Munroe;London, J.Chapman 1848. url p. 284.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 499.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 715.
- Handbook of hardy herbaceous and alpine flowers. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1871. url p. 246.
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url p. 377.
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalised in the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. London, L. Reeve, 1908. url p. 291.
- Handbook to Bath; prepared on the occasion of the visit of the British Association, 1888. Bath, I. Pitman and Sons, 1888. url , , .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 2.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 172.
- Hooker, W. J. Botanical miscellany. 1 1830 London: J. Murray, 1830-1833. url p. 179, p. 179.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 2 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 122.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 238.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 181.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants, drawn by W.H. Fitch and W.G. Smith. London: Reeve, 1908. url p. 158.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, Ginn and company[c1914] url .
- Introduction to botany. Boston, Ginn url p. 186.
- Johnson's Gardeners' dictionary and cultural instructor. London, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd. url p. 580.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 150, p. 165, p. 244, p. 308, p. 337, p. 377, p. 382, p. 385, p. 388, p. 68.
- Key and flora, northern and central states. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 186.
- Key and flora: northern and central states / Boston: Ginn, 1908. url .
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 255.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 38.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1874. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by the late Charles Cardale Babington. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1904. url p. 340.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (The mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) New York: Ivison, Phinney, 1863, c1862. url p. 273.
- Memoir and correspondence of the late Sir James Edward Smith, Ed. by Lady Smith. London, Longman, Rees, Orne Brown, Green and Longman, 1832. url p. 59.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 255.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 22.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url .
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 158.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 41.
- Narrative of a journey to the shores of the Polar Sea, in the years 1819, 20, 21, and 22 /by John Franklin. ..; with an appendix on various subjects relating to science and natural history; illustrated by numerous plates and maps. 1823 London: John Murray, 1823. url p. 733.
- Narrative of the Arctic land expedition to the mouth of the Great Fish River and along the shores of the Arctic Ocean in the years 1833, 1834, and 1835 by Captain Back. Philadelphia: E.L. Carey & A. Hart, 1836. url .
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 273.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 10, p. 10.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 4 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 310.
- North Wales; including its scenery, antiquities, customs, and some sketches of its natural history; delineated from two excursions through all the interesting parts of that country, during the summers of 1798 and 1801. London, T. N. Longman and O. Rees, 1804. url p. 372.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1905 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 215, p. 412, p. 441, p. 463, p. 472.
- Notice of the botanical writings of the late C.S. Rafinesque. New Haven: S. Converse, 1841 url .
- Observations of a naturalist in the Pacific between 1896 and 1899 / by H.B. Guppy. London: Macmillan and Co., 1903-1906. url p. 618.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 185, p. 193, p. 194.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 185, p. 193.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 39, p. 75.
- Popular science news, formerly Boston journal of chemistry. A popular illustrated monthly devoted to the progress in zoology, botany, mineralogy, archaeology, hygiene, invention, with related physical sciences and general v. 1-36; July 1866-Dec. 1902. Boston, J.R. Nichols & co. [etc.]1866-; New York, W. O. Allison [etc., 1894]-1902. url p. 102.
- Preliminary catalogue of the flora of West Virginia. [Chicago?]1892 url p. 405.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url , p. 226.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 238.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 346.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 84.
- Publications in botany / Ottawa: The Museum, 1969- url p. 15, p. 74, p. 75.
- Pursh, F. T. Flora Americae Septentrionalis: or, A systematic arrangement and description of the plants of North america. Containing, besides what have been described by preceding authors, many new and rare species, collected during twelve years travels and residence in that country /by Frederick Pursh. .. 1 1814 London: Printed for White, Cochrance, and co., 1814. url p. 135.
- Report for the year - British Columbia Provincial Museum. [Victoria]; Printed by A. Sutton [etc.], for the Queen. url , .
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, Office of the Regents, 1871-1888 url p. 31.
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 127, p. 184.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url p. 13, p. 132, p. 15, p. 41.
- Report. Victoria, B.C. url p. 24, p. 40.
- Reports and papers on botany. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1846-49. url p. 431.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 412, p. 696, p. 697, p. 729.
- Rock gardening for amateurs, by H. H. Thomas assisted by S. Arnott; beautifully illustrated with twelve direct colour photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke, sixty-four half-tone plates and numerous sketches. London, Cassell and company, limited, 1914. url p. 264.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 18.
- Scottish gardens; being a representative selection of different types, old and new, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell. .. illustrated by Mary G. W. Wilson. London: E. Arnold, 1908. url .
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 115.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 24, p. 29, p. 30.
- Spring flora of Ohio consisting of descriptions of the early native flowering plants. .. by W. A. Kellerman...Published by the author. Columbus, Ohio, J. L. Trauger1895. url p. 95.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 271.
- Students' handbook to accompany Plants and their uses / by Frederick Leroy Sargent. New York: Henry Holt, 1914. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 12, p. 139, p. 21, p. 37, p. 39, p. 45, p. 75, p. 79, p. 84.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 505.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 227, p. 233.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 191, p. xiv.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 103, p. 118, p. 122, p. 189, p. 192, p. 21, p. 213, p. 271, p. 335, p. 393, p. 429, p. 447, p. 465, p. 52, p. 695, p. 86, p. 91.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 295, p. 48, p. 645.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url p. 279.
- The English flora. London: Longman, 1824 url p. 278, p. 278.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 233.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 128, p. 161, p. 187, p. 288, p. 301.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 112, p. 140, p. 177, p. 19, p. 383, p. 401, p. 50, p. 542, p. 575.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 256.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 104, p. 108, p. 114, p. 120, p. 139, p. 146, p. 151, p. 177, p. 192, p. 196, p. 212, p. 35, p. 48, p. 49, p. 74, p. 79, p. 96.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 67.
- The International Phytogeographical Excursion in the British Isles (1911): a record and some notes by various phytogeographers who took part in the excursion. Cambridge: New phytologist, 1913. url p. 94.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 142, p. 291, p. 397, p. 462, p. 486, p. 79.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 41 1912-13 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 431, p. 570, p. 58.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 412, p. 696, p. 697.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 412, p. 696, p. 697, p. 729.
- The Naturalist. 1895 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 102, p. 167, p. 169, p. 240, p. 289.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 140.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 106, p. 125, p. 599.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 401, p. 426, p. 580, p. 6.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 22.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 47.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 15, p. 349.
- The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster. Edited by William Farrer and J. Brownbill. London[Constable]1906-1914 url p. 54.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 225.
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 100.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 390, p. 663.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 111.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 58.
- The flora of the Alps: being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. New York: Truslove & Comba, 1898. url p. 58.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, London, J. C. Nimmo, 1896-1900. url .
- The flora of the upper Susquehanna and its tributaries / by WJillard Nelson Clute. Binghamton, N.Y.: W.N. Clute, 1898. url p. 73.
- The genus Lysimachia in the New World. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1956. url p. 10, p. 12, p. 142, p. 4, p. 5, p. 79, p. 90, p. 91, p. 92, p. 98.
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 403, p. 403.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 793, p. 960.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 216, p. 217, p. 218.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1466.
- The subtropical garden, or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson London: J. Murray, 1879 url p. 241.
- The subtropical garden: or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1891. url p. 241.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 157, p. 160, p. 218, p. 264, p. 357.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url , , , .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 150.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 296, p. 341.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 506.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 11.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. 9 1965 München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 72.
- Chen Feng-hwai, Hu Chi-ming, Fang Yun-yi, Cheng Chao-zong, Yang Yong-chang & Huang Rong-fu In Chen Feng-hwai & Hu Chi-ming, editors. 1990. Primulaceae (1). Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 59(1): 1-217
- Hu Chi-ming In Chen Feng-hwai & Hu Chi-ming, editors. 1990. Primulaceae (2). Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 59(2): 1-321.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum of the North Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2649408
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-24000
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:701392-1
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 24000
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 701392-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDPRI070S0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: NATH
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 46430
- Qiming Hu & Sylvia Kelso "Primulaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 15 Page 39. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Lysimachia". in Flora of China Vol. 15 Page 39. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Lysimachia thyrsiflora". in Flora of China Vol. 15 Page 78. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 148.620 meters (487.598 feet), Standard Deviation = 192.650 based on 4,384 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]