Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Clubmoss, Bristly Club-Moss, Interrupted Clubmoss, Stiff Club Moss, Stiff Clubmoss
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in unspecified:
Clubmoss, Stiff Club Moss, Stiff Clubmoss
, on rock, or epiphytic. Roots
emerging near origin
, or growing through cortex and emergent some distance
from origin. Horizontal stems present or absent, mainly protostelic, in some species becoming actino- or plectostelic, on substrate surface or subterranean
, or forming stolons. Upright shoots
or branched, usually conspicuously leafy at least at base
; abscising gemmae formed by reduced lateral
shoots. Lateral shoots present or absent, simple or branched, branching pattern
dichotomous and sometimes pseudomonopodial; leaves uniform
or trimorphic. Upright and lateral shoots round
or flat in cross
; leaves on subterranean parts flat, appressed
, nonphotosynthetic, and scalelike; leaves on aerial
parts appressed, ascending
, or spreading
, with 1 central unbranched vein
, needlelike to lanceolate to ovate
to dense and imbricate, with or without basal and/or mucilage canals. Strobili sessile or stalked
, upright, nodding
, or pendent. Sporangia solitary, adaxial
near leaf base or axillary
leaves (sporophylls) unmodified and photosynthetic to much modified, nonphotosynthetic, reduced, and aggregated in strobili; sporangia reniform to globose
, thick-walled with hundreds
of spores, outer walls variously modified. Spores all 1 kind, trilete, thick-walled, surfaces pitted
to small-grooved, rugulate, or reticulate
. Gametophytes subterranean and nonphotosynthetic or surficial
Genera 10--15, species 350--400 (7 genera, 27 species in the flora ) : worldwide.
The Lycopodiaceae are an extremely diverse , ancient family . The family may contain even more than the estimated 400 species because the tropical members and the very large genus Phlegmariurus are still poorly known. The relationships among genera of Lycopodiaceae are not well understood because large evolutionary gaps exist among most genera. Some of the genera, notably Diphasiastrum, Huperzia, and Lycopodiella, exhibit extensive interspecific hybridization, which has caused much taxonomic confusion in the past. Differences in expressions of many of the generic characters are subtle, and some of the characters are microscopic.
emerging from point
on underside of main stems
. Horizontal stems on substrate surface or subterranean
, long-creeping. Upright shoots
along horizontal stem, 5--16 mm diam., round
or flat in cross
, unbranched or with 1--4 lateral
. Leaves not imbricate, linear
to linear-lanceolate; leaves on horizontal stems scattered, appressed
, membranous; leaves on lateral branchlets mostly 6-ranked or more, monomorphic
with few exceptions, appressed, ascending
entire to dentate
branchlets and gemmae absent. Strobili single and sessile or multiple
, apex blunt
to acute; peduncle, when present, conspicuously leafy; sporophylls extremely reduced, much shorter than peduncle or stem leaves. Sporangia reniform
. Spores reticulate
, sides at equator convex
acute. Gametophytes nonphotosynthetic, mycorrhizal, subterranean, flat and irregularly button-shaped, with ring
meristem around circumference. x
Species 15--25: mainly temperate and subarctic .
In striking contrast to Diphasiastrum, Huperzia, and Lycopodiella, interspecific hybridization is practically unknown in Lycopodium. Many of the species now recognized in Lycopodium have been segregated from Lycopodium clavatum, L. annotinum, and L. jussiaei Desvaux ex Poiret. The three groups given in the key below should probably be treated as subgenera .
Species Lycopodium annotinum
Horizontal stems on substrate surface. Upright shoots
mainly unbranched or sparsely branching mainly at base
cm diam.; annual
bud constrictions abrupt
few and like upright shoots but annual bud constrictions
absent. Leaves spreading
, dark green, linear-lanceolate,
(2.5--) 5--8 X
0.6--1.2 mm; margins
closely and shallowly dentate
mainly in distal 1/2; apex sharply pointed
, lacking hair tip
solitary, sessile on shoots, 15--30 X 3.5--4.5 mm.
3.5 X 0.7(--2) mm, abruptly narrowed to pointed tip. 2 n = 68. [source]
This widespread and common club-moss has been divided into various forms or varieties, some of which have been treated as species. Present evidence supports the hypothesis that these are environmentally induced forms, the most distinctive of which has been called Lycopodium annotinum var. alpestre C. Hartman, with leaves only 2.5--6 mm, very leathery, entire-margined, and appressed . Plants intermediate between this and L. annotinum var. annotinum are a form that has been called var. pungens (Bachelot de la Pylaie) Desvaux, an invalid name . Both are found in cold, bleak, northern or high elevation habitats . The species should be studied in detail to determine whether it contains any groups that should be recognized taxonomically. [source]
Lycopodium clavatum group [source]
Habit: Subshrub , Shrub
Swampy or moist coniferous forests , mountain forests, and exposed grassy or rocky sites; 0--1850 m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,916 meters (0 to 9,567 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Dumortier, 1829
- Palisot de Beauvois ex Mirbel, in Lamarck & Mirbel, 1802
- club mosses
- C. Linnaeus, 1753
- Club-moss [Greek lykos, wolf, and pous, podes, foot; in reference to the resemblance of the branch tips to a wolf's paw]
- Specific epithet:
- Botanical name: - Lycopodium annotinum L.
- Specific epithet: annotinum - L.
- Genus: Lycopodium () - C. Linnaeus, 1753 - Club-moss [Greek lykos, wolf, and pous, podes, foot; in reference to the resemblance of the branch tips to a wolf's paw]
- Family: Lycopodiaceae () - Palisot de Beauvois ex Mirbel, in Lamarck & Mirbel, 1802 - club mosses
- Order: Lycopodiales () - Dumortier, 1829
- Class: Lycopodiopsida () - Bartl.
- Infraphylum: Lycophytae () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Subphylum: Lycophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Lepidotis annotina (L.) P. Beauv. • Lycopodium annotinum alpestre (Hartman) A. & D. Löve • Lycopodium annotinum pungens (La Pylaie) Hultén • Lycopodium annotinum var. acrifolium Fern. • Lycopodium annotinum var. alpestre Hartman • Lycopodium annotinum var. pungens (La Pylaie) Desv. • Lycopodium dubium Zoega
: L. Publication
Pl. 2: 1103 1753 [1 May 1753]
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Lycopodium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 51 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
L. alpinum (Alpine Club Moss) · L. annotinum (Clubmoss) · L. annotinum f. groen;andicum (Clubmoss) · L. annotinum pungens (Stiff Clubmoss) · L. apodum (Meadow Spike Moss) · L. argenteum (Northern Sennet) · L. carinatum (Club Moss) · L. cernua (Lycopodium) · L. circinale (Blackfin Barracuda) · L. clavatum (Common Club Moss) · L. clavatum contiguum (Staghorn Club-Moss) · L. clavatum f. brevipedunculatum (Staghorn Club-Moss) · L. clavatum f. incurvum (Common Club Moss) · L. clavatum f. robustinus (Staghorn Club-Moss) · L. clavatum var. aristatum (Staghorn Club-Moss) · L. clavatum var. clavatum (Running Clubmoss) · L. clavatum var. raddianum (Staghorn Club-Moss) · L. complanatum (Plants) · L. complanatum complanatum (American Clubmoss) · L. complanatum f. canadense (Christmas Green) · L. dendroideum (Tree Groundpine) · L. deuterodensum (Bushy Clubmoss) · L. digitatum (Fan Club-Moss) · L. douglasii (Douglas' Spikemoss) · L. fastigiatum (Mountain Clubmoss) · L. habereri (Haberer's Clubmoss) · L. hickeyi (Hickey's Clubmoss) · L. issleri (Issler's Clubmoss) · L. lagopus (One-Cone Clubmoss) · L. longifolium (Pacific Threadfin) · L. lycopodiella (Lycopodiella) · L. mirabile (Thread-Fishes) · L. nudum (Clubmosses) · L. obscurum (Ground Pine) · L. obscurum f. dendroideum (Flat-Branch Tree Club-Moss) · L. obscurum f. foliaceum (Flat-Branch Tree Club-Moss) · L. obscurum f. parvispicatum (Ground Pine) · L. phlegmaria (Queensland Tassel-Fern) · L. proniflorum (Mullet) · L. pungens (Stiff Clubmoss) · L. sabinaefolium sitchense (Sitka Clubmoss) · L. sabinifolium (Ground-Fir) · L. scariosum (Spreading Clubmoss) · L. sitchense (Alaskan Clubmoss) · L. tristachyum (Deep-Root Clubmoss) · L. venustulum (Hairtip Clubmoss) · L. volubile (Climbing Clubmoss) · L. x habereri (Hybrid) · L. × issleri (Issler's Clubmoss) · L. x zeilleri (Zeiller's Clubmoss) · L. zeilleri (Deeproot Clubmoss)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 139.
- ... Flora of Glacier National Park, Montana, by Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1921. url , p. 245, p. 271.
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A botanical exploration of the north shore of the gulf of St. Lawrence including an annotated list of the species of vascular plants, Ottawa, F. A. Acland, printer, 1922. url p. 127, p. 19, p. 27, p. 59.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and vascular cryptogams, found in and near Lackawanna and Wyoming valleys, by William R. Dudley...and Charles O. Thurston...1892. Wilkes-Barre, Pa., E. B. Yordy, 1892. url .
- A century of progress in the natural sciences, 1853-1953. San Francisco, 1955. url p. 303, p. 316.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A complete guide to the English lakes, London, J. Garnett;186-?] url .
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 245.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 227, p. 244.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 226, p. 227, p. 244.
- A list of the plants of the Pribilof Islands with notes on their distribution / by James M. Macoun. Washington: G.P.O., 1899. url .
- A manual of botany, based upon the manual of the late Professor Bentley. London, J. & A. Churchill.1895-96. url p. 158.
- A manual of botany. London, J. & A. Churchill.1895-96. url .
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: New York, Columbia University Press[c1910] url .
- A naturalist in the Great Lakes region, by Elliot Rowland Downing. .. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press[c1922] url , p. 304.
- A popular history of the British ferns and the allied plants, : comprising the club-mosses, pepperworts, and horsetails / by Thomas Moore. London: Routledge, Warne, & Routledge, 1859. url p. 219, p. 379, p. 65.
- A preliminary list of the plants of New Brunswick compiled by James Fowler; with assistance of members of New Brunswick Natural History Society. Saint John, N.B.: Ellis, Robertson & Co., 1885. url .
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 172.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 463.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 460.
- A textbook of botany for colleges and universities. .. Cincinnati [etc]American book company[1910-11] url .
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 304.
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url .
- Across the sub-Arctic of Canada, a journey of 3, 200 miles by canoe and snowshoe through the barren lands, by J. W. Tyrrell. .. including a list of plants collected on the expediton, a vocabulary of Eskimo words, a route map and full classified index. With illustrations from photographs taken on the journe Toronto, W. Briggs, 1897. url p. 269.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 104, p. 107, p. 11, p. 110, p. 120, p. 124, p. 126, p. 128, p. 129, p. 133, p. 139, p. 140, p. 142, p. 15, p. 181, p. 19, p. 21, p. 22, p. 22, p. 22, p. 22, p. 23, p. 24, p. 262, p. 27, p. 27, p. 28, p. 31, p. 32, p. 32, p. 43, p. 472, p. 49, p. 52, p. 52, p. 52, p. 53, p. 55, p. 6, p. 6, p. 61, p. 66, tbl II.
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 392.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 392.
- Alpine flora of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Illustrated with water-colour drawings and photographs by Mrs. Charles Schäffer. New York, London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1907. url p. 19.
- An ecological survey in northern Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Chas. C. Adams. A report from the University museum, University of Michigan, published by the state Board of geological survey as a part of the report for 1905. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford co., state printers, 1906. url p. 50, p. 50, p. 51, p. 51, p. 86, p. 86.
- An ecological survey of Isle Royale, Lake Superior. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., State Printers, 1909. url .
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 43, p. 45.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 46.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 182.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 104, p. 112, p. 125, p. 127, p. 129, p. 147, p. 148, p. 151, p. 155, p. 171, p. 19, p. 225, p. 447, p. 451, p. 89, p. XVI.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 36.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 106, p. 12, p. 13, p. 15, p. 49.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 180.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 459, p. 459.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 14, p. 38.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 663.
- Annual report of the Regents / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1890-1903. url p. 24.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 51.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 4, p. 99.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 175.
- Archives of science and transactions of the Orleans County Society of Natural Sciences. Newport, Vt.: J.M. Currier, [1870-1874] url p. 111.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 1946 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 14, p. 37, p. 4, p. 53, p. 89.
- Biochemical systematics [by] Ralph E. Alston [and] B. L. Turner. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall url p. 178.
- Biological series. TorontoUniversity Press [etc.]1898-1956. url p. 13, p. 26, p. 5.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 310, p. 321.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 128, p. 19.
- Botanical and physiological memoirs, consisting of I.--The phenomenon of rejuvenescence in nature, especially in the life and development of plants. By Dr. A. Braun. Tr. by A. Henfrey. .. II.--On the animal nature of the Diatomeæ, with an organographical revision of the genera established by Kützing. By Professor G. Meneghini. Tr. by Christopher J London: Printed for the Ray Society, 1853. url p. 339.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url , , p. 186, p. 335, p. 341, p. 388, p. 448.
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1885. url .
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 468.
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 384.
- Botany; principles and problems, by Edmund W. Sinnott. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1923. url p. 336.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 51, p. 52.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 153, p. 180, p. 254, p. 52, p. 663, p. 960.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1907 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 85.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 149.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 45 1918 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 207, p. 246, p. 290, p. 301, p. 317, p. 32, p. 336, p. 349, p. 39, p. 515, p. 597, p. 640, p. 67, p. 78.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 73.
- Catalogue of North American plants of Mexico, exclusive of the lower cryptogams by A.A. Heller. [S.l.: s.n.], 1898. url .
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url , .
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 683.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 31.
- Check list of Canadian plants by James M. Macoun. [Ottawa?: s.n.], 1889 url .
- Check list of Canadian plants, by James Macoun. Ottawa, Printed by Cunningham & Lindsay, 1889. url p. 68.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 5.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 441, p. 643.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 52, p. 55, p. 56, p. 65, p. 66, p. 67, p. 69, p. 71, p. 75.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url .
- Contributions from the Osborn Botanical Laboratory. [New Haven?]Osborn Botanical Laboratory, Yale University, url p. 329, p. 416.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 22 1920-1927 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 245, p. 268, p. 271, p. 283, p. 330, p. 349, p. 353, plate 45, p. 87, p. XII.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 4, p. 99.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 293, p. 355, p. 520.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 217, p. 434.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 495.
- Elements of botany: structural, physiological, systematical, and medical / by John Lindley. London: Printed for Taylor and Walton, 1841. url p. 192.
- Elements of the philosophy of plants: containing the principles of scientific botany. .. with a history of the science, and practical illustrations. By A. P. de Candolle and K. Sprengel. Tr. from the German. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood, 1821. url p. 34.
- Embryogenesis in plants. London, Methuen; url p. 9.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url p. 12.
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 12, p. 15.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- FLORA OF RUSSIA A.A.Balkema Publishers url p. 77.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 109.
- Ferns and fern allies of Canada / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1989. url p. 21, p. 24, p. 25, p. 26, p. 314.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- Flora Scotica; or, A description of Scottish plants, arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods. London, Printed by R. and A. Taylor, for A. Constable, 1821. url p. 159.
- Flora boreali-Americana, or, The botany of the northern parts of British America compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. to which are added (by permission of by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: H.G. Bohn, 1840. url , .
- Flora metropolitana; or, Botanical rambles within thirty miles of London, being the results of numerous excursions made in 1833, 34, 35. .. intended for the student in practical botany. .. London, S. Highley, 1836. url p. 113.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , p. 201.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 6.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 6, p. 6.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 23, p. 25.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, by L. L. Dame and F. S. Collins. Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url p. 138, p. 138.
- Flora of Mount Desert Island, Maine: a preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands / by Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield; with a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert Island. Cambridge, Mass.: J. Wilson, 1894. url p. 188.
- Flora of Mount Desert island, Maine. A preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands. By Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield. With a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert island. Cambridge, Mass., J. Wilson and son, 1894. url p. 188.
- Flora of Vermont; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Ezra Brainerd, L.R. Jones and W.W. Eggleston, committee for the Vermont botanical club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Association, 1900. url p. 99.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 191.
- Flora of Willoughby, Vermont. [By] George G. Kennedy. Boston, 1904. url p. 102.
- Flora of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island: with many references to Alaska and northern species / by Joseph Kaye Henry. Toronto: W.J. Gage, c1915. url p. 11.
- Flora of the Queen Charlotte Islands. [Ottawa: Queen's Printer], 1968-. url p. 12, p. 131, p. 132, p. 554, p. 86.
- Flora of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and neighboring parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia / by P.A. Rydberg. New York: The author, 1922. url p. 1054.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 92.
- Flora of the Yellowstone National Park / by Frank Tweedy. Washington, D.C.: Published by the author, 1886. url p. 75, p. 75.
- Flora of the northwest coast, including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon. Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1915. url , .
- Flora of the northwest coast: including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New era printing company, 1915. url p. 13.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 87.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url .
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 190.
- Fossil botany, being an introduction to palaeophytology from the standpoint of the botanist; the authorised English translation by Henry E.F. Garnsey, revised by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1891. url p. 208.
- General botany; an introductory text for colleges and advanced classes in secondary schools. Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y., World Book Co., 1924. url p. 491.
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1920. url p. 548.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 392, p. 8.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 392, p. 8.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 132, p. 468.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 2 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 266, p. 267.
- How to know the ferns / by S. Leonard Bastin. London: Methuen & Co.,  url p. 106.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 248.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants, drawn by W.H. Fitch and W.G. Smith. London: Reeve, 1908. url p. 307.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 209, p. 301, p. 60, p. 655.
- Introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, 1819. url p. 94.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 528, p. 551.
- Journal of applied microscopy. Rochester, N.Y.: Publication Dept., Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., [1898-1900] url p. 346.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 1905 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 113, p. 161, p. 167, p. 17, p. 171, p. 183, p. 243, p. 348, p. 74.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 19 1999 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 196, figure 4.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 25 1924 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 143, p. 202, p. 331, p. 71.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , p. 279, p. 597, p. 621, p. 841, p. 860.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 118, p. 198.
- Laboratory and field manual of botany, Boston, Ginn & company[c1907] url .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url p. 10.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 16.
- List of plants collected by Mr. J. B. Tyrrell in the Klondike region in 1899 John Macoun. Ottawa?: s.n., 1899? url .
- Mammals of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. Jerusalem: Pub. for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, l962- url p. 19.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1851. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 430.
- Manual of the botany (Phænogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. and Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url .
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, arranged according to the natural system / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1867. url p. 673.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 25.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url , , .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 110, p. 111, p. 115, p. 118, p. 126, p. 128, p. 132, p. 133, p. 144, p. 149, p. 15, p. 158, p. 162, p. 182, p. 205, p. 216, p. 218, p. 229, p. 241, p. 242, p. 254, p. 262, p. 282, p. 32, p. 382, p. 386, p. 560, p. 569, p. 590, p. 618, p. 633, p. 639, p. 64, p. 746, p. 77, p. 90, p. 92.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 56.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 18, p. 5, p. 8, p. 8.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 16.
- Memoirs read before the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, [Boston Society of Natural History]1862-1946. url p. 272.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 12.
- Methods in plant histology; by Charles J. Chamberlain. .. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press[c1915] url p. 223.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 3.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url p. 16.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url p. 14, p. 14, p. 38, p. 38.
- Minimum areas for different vegetations, their determination from species-area curves. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1949. url p. 74.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , , , p. 246.
- Miramichi wild flowers by R. Mackenzie. Montreal: J. Lovell, 1887. url .
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 128, p. 130, p. 19, p. 80.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1964 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 23, fig. 3, page 88.
- Monograph of the Myxogastres. London, Methuen, 1892. url p. 104.
- Mount Rainier: a record of exploration / edited by Edmond S. Meany. New York: Macmillan, 1916. url p. 285.
- Mountain wild flowers of America: a simple and popular guide to the names and descriptions of the flowers that bloom above the clouds / by Julia W. Henshaw. Boston: Ginn, 1906. url p. 379.
- Mountain wild flowers of America; a simple and popular guide to the names and descriptions of the flowers that bloom above the clouds, by Julia W. Henshaw. Boston, Ginn, 1906. url p. 379, p. 379.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 106, p. 12, p. 13, p. 15, p. 49.
- Mycotrophy in plants; lectures on the biology of mycorrhizae and related structures. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1950. url p. 97.
- Narrative of a journey to the shores of the Polar Sea, in the years 1819, 20, 21, and 22 by John Franklin. London: J. Murray, 1823. url .
- Narrative of a voyage to the Polar Sea during 1875-6 in H.M. ships 'Alert' and 'Discovery' / by Capt. Sir G.S. Nares. .. With notes on the natural history, edited by H.W. Feilden. .. London: S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1878. url p. 308.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 509, p. 509.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 270.
- Nature and development of plants by Carlton C. Curtis New York, H. Holt and Company, 1918 url p. 341.
- Nature and development of plants, by Carlton C. Curtis. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1914. url p. 341.
- Nature and development of plants. New York, H. Holt[c1917] url .
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 317.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 14, p. 74.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) by John M. Coulter, rev. by Aven Nelson. Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1909] url p. 25.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1904 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 141, p. 173, p. 185, p. 187, p. 209, p. 284, p. 387, p. 403, p. 48, p. 49, p. 62.
- Observations on the flowering plants, ferns and fern allies growing wild in Marquette County, Michigan, in 1916 and 1917, especially in the vicinity of the Huron Mountain Club. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Published by the University, 1918. url .
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 312, p. 333.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 312, p. 333.
- Organography of plants, especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta, by Dr. K. Goebel. .. authorized English ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-05. url p. 105.
- Our native ferns and how to study them; with synoptical descriptions of the North American species. Bloomington, Ill.[Leader Publishing Co., Printers]1881. url .
- Our native ferns and their alies: with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico / Lucien M. Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1896. url p. 64.
- Our native ferns and their allies with synoptical descriptions of the American pteridophyta north of Mexico / by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1900. url .
- Our native ferns and their allies: with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico / by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1896, c1888. url p. 64.
- Our native ferns and their allies; with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico, by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1900. url p. 36.
- Outlines of classification and special morphology of plants, by K. Goebel. A new ed. of Sachs' Text-book of botany, book II, authorized English translation by Henry E. F. Garnsey; rev. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. With 407 woodcuts. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 274, p. 275, p. 277, p. 277, p. 504, p. 504.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 17, p. 18.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 296.
- Pittonia: a series of papers relating to botany and botanists /by Edward L. Greene. 3 1896 Berkeley, Calif. [etc.]: Doxey & Co. [etc.], 1887-1905. url p. 80.
- Plant sociology; the study of plant communities; authorized English translation of Pflanzensoziologie, by Dr. J. Braun-Blanquet. Translated, revised and edited by George D. Fuller and Henry S. Conard. New York and London, McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1932. url p. 424, p. 66, p. 68.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 36.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 516, p. 516.
- Preliminary catalog of Anthophyta and Pteridophyta, reported as growing spontaneously within one hundred miles of New York City. New York, 1888. url p. 72.
- Principles of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen and Bradley M. Davis. Boston; Ginn & Company, c1906. url p. 330, p. 330, p. 331.
- Principles of botany, by Joseph Y. Bergen. .. and Bradley M. Davis. ... Boston, Ginn & company[c1906] url p. 330, p. 331.
- Principles of scientific botany, or, Botany as an inductive science by Dr. J.M. Schleiden. .. translated by Edwin Lankester. .. London: Printed for Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1849 url p. 190, p. 191, p. 609.
- Problems of cytology and evolution in the Pteridophyta. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1950. url p. 244, p. 245, p. 246, p. 247, p. 250, p. 252, p. 306, p. 314, p. 315.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 224.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 215, p. 215, p. 93, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 110, p. 110, p. 131, p. 131, p. 35.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 69.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , p. 162, p. 322.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 516, p. 529, p. 647.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 201, p. 376.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 31.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 191.
- Publications in botany / Ottawa: The Museum, 1969- url p. 69, p. 72, p. 73, p. 91.
- Reflections on the phenomenon of rejuvenescence in nature, especially in the life and development of plants. Leipzig, 1851. url .
- Report and Transactions of the Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists Glasgow:Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists, 1873-77. url p. 106.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 112, p. 139.
- Report of the Second Norwegian Arctic expedition in the "Fram" 1898-1902. .. Kristiania, In commission by T. O. Brøgger, 1907-1919. url , .
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , , , , , , p. 12, p. 15, p. 180, p. 52, p. 936, p. 960, p. 984.
- Report of the second Norwegian Arctic Expedition in the "Fram", 1898-1902. Published by Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, at the expense of the Fridjof Nansen Fund for the Advancement of Science. KristianiaT.O. Brøgger1907-19 url , .
- Report. Victoria, B.C. url p. 14.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 246.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 28.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 828.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 461.
- Sport in Norway, and where to find it. Together with a short account of the vegetable productions of the country. To which is added, a list of the Alpine flora of the Dovre fjeld and of the Norwegian ferns, &c. By M. R. Barnard. .. London, Chapman and Hall, 1864. url p. 320.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 525, p. 526.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 11, p. 19, p. 19, p. 23, p. 5, p. 71, p. 74.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 149, p. 150.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 76.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 462.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 462.
- Text-book of western botany: consisting of Coulter's Manual of the botany of the Rocky mountains, to which is prefixed Gray's lessons in botany. For the use of schools and colleges between the Mississippi river and the Rocky moun Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url p. 436.
- The Aleutian islands: their people and natural history (with keys for the identification of the birds and plants) City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1945. url p. 129.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 290, p. 35, p. 47.
- The American journal of science. 45 1843 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 47.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 268, p. 268, p. 268, p. 455, p. 455.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 108, p. 163, p. 174, p. 230, p. 234, p. 28, p. 36, p. 38, p. 38, p. 44.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 275.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 49 1935 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url ulke , p. 112, p. 117, p. 120, p. 127, p. 129, p. 136, p. 142, p. 156, p. 173, p. 173, p. 174, p. 177, p. 177, p. 178, p. 178, p. 179, p. 183, p. 192, p. 204, p. 213, p. 233, p. 262, p. 268, p. 288, p. 300, p. 338, p. 378, p. 380, p. 382, p. 383, p. 42, p. 443, p. 448, p. 49, p. 54, p. 55, p. 577, p. 59, p. 600, p. 669, p. 699, p. 71, p. 72, p. 730, p. 74, p. 78, p. 98.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 300.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 295, p. 337.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 353.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 282, p. 31.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 109.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 124, p. 297, p. 337, p. 362, p. 87.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url , p. 334, p. 334.
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 115, p. 116, p. 70.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 432.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 401.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 25, p. 272.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 7.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 27 1891 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 266, p. 455.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 148.
- The Naturalist. 1898 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 129, p. 131, p. 281.
- The North American Pyrenomycetes. A contribution to mycologic botany, by J. B. Ellis and B. M. Everhart. With original illustrations by F. W. Anderson. Newfield, N. J., Ellis & Everhart, 1892. url p. 379.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 188.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 94.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 269, p. 284, p. 337, p. 346, p. 468, p. 669.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url , , , , , , p. 11, p. 147, p. 17, p. 214, p. 215, p. 443, p. 70, p. 824, p. 972, p. 988, p. 99.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 435.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 192.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 318.
- The University of Missouri studies. [Columbia]: The University, 1905-1918. url p. 187, p. 200, p. 39.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cumberland. Westminster[A. Constable and company, limited]1901-05. url .
- The birds of Siberia; a record of a naturalist's visits to the valley of the Petchora and Yenesei, London, J. Murray, 1901. url .
- The cultivated evergreens; a handbook of the coniferous and most important broad-leaved evergreens planted for ornament in the United States and Canada, edited by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1923. url p. 396.
- The fern allies of North America north of Mexico, New York, F. A. Stokes company url , p. 260, p. 74, p. 95, p. viii.
- The flora of Banffshire. Aberdeen: Printed for the University1912 url p. 110.
- The flora of Boulder, Colorado, and vicinity, by Francis Potter Daniels. .. [Columbia, Mo.]The University of Missouri, 1911. url p. 39.
- The flora of Canada collected by A.M. Ross. Toronto: Rowsell & Hutchison, 1875. url .
- The flora of Disko Island and the adjacent coast of West Greenland from 66-71 N. lat.: with remarks on phytogeography, ecology, flowering, fructification and hibernation / by Morten P. Porsild; assisted by A. Erling Porsild. København: B. Lunos bogt., 1920 [i.e. 1926]- url p. 28, p. 28.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 201.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of the upper Susquehanna and its tributaries. [Willard Nelson Clute]. Binghamton, N.Y.: W.N. Clute, 1901. url p. 16.
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url , .
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 572, p. 572.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 572.
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1866-68. url p. 518.
- The morphology of pteridophytes; the structure of ferns and allied plants. London, Hutchinson University Library url p. 56, p. 62, p. 66.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url , p. 714, p. 716, p. 970.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 148.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 260.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 334.
- The open Polar Sea: a narrative of a voyage of discovery towards the North pole in the schooner "United States" / by Isaac I. Hayes; illustrated by Darley and others. Philadelphia: David McKay, [c1885] url p. 399.
- The orchids in the Ottawa District: floristics, phytogeography, population studies and historical review / Joyce M. Reddoch and Allan H. Reddoch. 111 1997 Ottawa, Canada: The Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club,  url p. 112, p. 54, p. 78.
- The origin of a land flora, a theory based upon the facts of alternation, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1908. url , , , .
- The origin of a land flora: a theory based upon the facts of alternation / by F. O. Bower. With numerous illustrations. London: Macmillan, 1908. url p. 210, p. 349, p. 668, p. 686.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 44, p. 45.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1181.
- The structure and development of mosses and ferns (Archegoniatae) / by Douglas Houghton Campbell. New York: Macmillan, 1928 [c1905] url p. 489, p. 650.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 69.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url .
- The vines of northeastern America / by Charles S. Newhall. New York: Putnam, 1897. url , p. 188.
- The vines of northeastern America; New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1897. url , .
- Through glade and mead; a contribution to local natural history, Worcester, Mass., Putnam, Davis and Company, [c1894] url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 12, p. 136, p. 143, p. 15, p. 150, p. 172, p. 176, p. 230, p. 26, p. 57, p. 70, p. 82, p. 86.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , , p. 283, p. 33, p. 40, p. 49, p. 91.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 390.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 170, p. 18, p. 267, p. 275, p. 290, p. 397.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 253.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 137, p. 137.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 7 1904-1913 London. url p. 22, p. 34.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url , p. 289.
- Transactions of the Sapporo Natural History Society. Sapporo, Japan, Sapporo Natural History Society, Hokkaido Imperial University. url p. 153, p. 153, p. 159.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 442.
- Wild flowers of the North American mountains. New York, McBride, 1917. url p. 373, p. 57.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 190.
- Øllgaard, B. 1990. Lycopodiaceae. In: K. Kubitzki et al., eds. 1990+. The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants. 1+ vol. Berlin etc. Vol. 1, pp. 31--39.
- Øllgaard, B. 1987. A revised classification of the Lycopodiaceae s. lat. Opera Bot. 92: 153--178.
- Øllgaard, B. 1989. Index of the Lycopodiaceae. Biol. Skr. 34: 1--135.
- Wagner, W. H. Jr. and J. M. Beitel. 1992. Generic classification of modern North American Lycopodiaceae. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 79: 676--686.
- Wagner, F. S. 1992. Cytological problems in Lycopodium sens. lat. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 79: 718--729.
- Wagner, W. H. Jr. 1993. A new combination for a North American lycopod. Novon 3: 305.
- Hickey, R. J. 1977. The Lycopodium obscurum complex in North America. Amer. Fern J. 67: 45--49.
- Wagner, W. H. Jr., J. M. Beitel, and R. C. Moran. 1989. Lycopodium hickeyi: A new species of North American clubmoss. Amer. Fern J. 79: 119--121.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 26, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 4 providers.
- "Lycopodium annotinum". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Published by Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 29, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 19, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The New York Botanical Garden, Vascular Plant Type Specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum of the North Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2644341
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-529052
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:1211781-2
- GRIN Nomen Number: 22968
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 17018
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 304983-2
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PPLYC01034
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: LYDU
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 48630
- Warren H. Wagner Jr. & Joseph M. Beitel "Lycopodiaceae". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Lycopodium". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Lycopodium annotinum". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 395.080 meters (1,296.194 feet), Standard Deviation = 378.050 based on 8,388 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]