- Unlike the invasive Japanese Honeysuckle, this lovely red, evergreen honeysuckle is a native . Hummingbirds and bees love these flowers.
Common Names in English:
Coral Honeysuckle, Trumpet Honeysuckle
ID Features: First two leaf pairs are connected under flowers. Twining vine. Dual colored flowers. Flowers are not fragrant. Opposite leaf arrangement. Small red fruit. No fall color.
Habit: A vigorous deciduous twining vine .
Flowers: Perfect flowers . Flower is orangy-red on the outside and yellow on the inside. Tubular . Up to 2" long. Flowers clustered on whorled spikes. Blooms in spring and sporadic through season . • Bloom Period: March, April, May, June, July, August, September. • Flower Color: red, yellow
Seeds: Fruit: Deep, red berries . 0.25" in diameter. Matures in September.
Foliage: Summer foliage: Opposite, simple leaves. Simple, deciduous leaves. Ovate leaf shape . 1" to 3" long. Glaucous underside. First two leaf pairs below flower are connected. Leafs out early. Blue-green leaf color. New growth reddish purple. • Fall foliage: No fall color. Leaves drop green.
Growth Rate: Fast. • Size: 10' to 20', depending on structure.
Hardy to zone 4, warmer parts of 3.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,665 meters (0 to 5,463 feet).
Culture: Easy to grow. Easily transplanted. Prefers well-drained, neutral soil. Full sun to shade. Needs support . Prune after flowering.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Dipsacanae () - (Dumortier, 1829) Takhtajan, 1997
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Caprifolium Sempervirens • Caprifolium sempervirens (L.) Moench • Periclymenum Sempervirens • Periclymenum sempervirens (L.) Mill. • Phenianthus Semperivens • Phenianthus semperivens (L.) Raf. Ex B. D. Jacks. • Phenianthus Sempervirens
Publishing author : L. Publication : Species Plantarum 1753 (1 May 1753)
Members of the genus Lonicera
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 116 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
L. acuminata (Honeysuckle) · L. albiflora (Western White Honeysuckle) · L. arizonica (Arizona Honeysuckle) · L. bella (Bell's Honeysuckle) · L. caerulea (Sweetberry Honeysuckle) · L. caerulea var. cauriana (Bluefly Honeysuckle) · L. caerulea var. edulis (Bearberry Honeysuckle) · L. caerulea var. edulis 'Kamchatka' (Bearberry Honeysuckle) · L. canadensis (American Fly Honeysuckle) · L. caprifolium (Honeysuckle) · L. chrysantha (Honeysuckle) · L. ciliosa (Orange Honeysuckle) · L. conjugialis (Double Honeysuckle) · L. dioica (Limber Honeysuckle) · L. dioica var. dioica (Limber Honeysuckle) · L. etrusca (Etruscan Honeysuckle) · L. ferdinandii (Honeysuckle) · L. flava (Yellow Honeysuckle) · L. fragrantissima (January Jasmine) · L. gracilipes (Honeysuckle) · L. henryi (Henrys Honeysuckle Lonicera Henryi) · L. henryi 'Copper Beauty' (Henrys Honeysuckle) · L. hildebrandiana (Giant Burmese Honeysuckle) · L. hirsuta (Hairy Honeysuckle) · L. hispidula (California Honeysuckle) · L. hispidula var. hispidula (Pink Honeysuckle) · L. hispidula var. vacillans (Pink Honeysuckle) · L. interrupta (Chaparral Honeysuckle) · L. involucrata (Bearberry Honeysuckle) · L. involucrata var. involucrata (Twinberry Honeysuckle) · L. involucrata var. ledebourii (Twinberry Honeysuckle) · L. japonica (Chinese Honeysuckle) · L. japonica 'Aureoreticulata' (Chinese Honeysuckle) · L. japonica 'Halliana' (Hall's Honeysuckle) · L. japonica 'Hall's Prolific' (Hall's Prolific Japanese Honeysuckle) · L. japonica 'Purpurea' (Purple-Leaf Japanese Honeysuckle) · L. kamsachatica 'Blue Velvet' (Honeysuckle) · L. koehneana (Honeysuckle) · L. korolkowii (Blueleaf Honeysuckle) · L. maackii (Amur Honeysuckle) · L. maximowiczii var. sachalinensis (Sakhalin Honeysuckle) · L. minutiflora (Smallflower Honeysuckle) · L. morrowii (Morrow Honeysuckle) · L. nitida (Box Honeysuckle) · L. nitida 'Baggesen's Gold' (Baggesen's Gold Boxleaf Honeysuckle) · L. nitida 'Ernest Wilson' (Box Honeysuckle) · L. nitida 'Lemon Beauty' (Box Honeysuckle) · L. nitida 'Maigrun' (Box Honeysuckle) · L. nitida 'Red Tips' (Box Honeysuckle) · L. nitida 'Silver Beauty' (Box Honeysuckle) · L. notha (Honeysuckle) · L. oblongifolia (Swamp Fly Honeysuckle) · L. oblongifolia var. oblongifolia (Swamp Fly Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum (European Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'Belgica' (Dutch Woodbine) · L. periclymenum 'Graham Thomas' (Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'Harlequin' (Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'La Gasnérie' (Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'Manul' (Berries Jubilee Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'Monul' (Berries Jubilee ® Woodbine Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'Serotina' (Honeysuckle) · L. periclymenum 'Winchester' (Honeysuckle) · L. pileata (Privet Honeysuckle) · L. praeflorens (Honeysuckle) · L. reticulata (Grape Honeysuckle) · L. ruprechtiana (Manchurian Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Sulphurea' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens var. hirsutula (Trumpet Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens var. sempervirens (Trumpet Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Blanche Sandman' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Cedar Lane' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'John Clayton' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Magnifica' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Major Wheeler' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. sempervirens 'Manifich' (Coral Honeysuckle) · L. standishii (Bush Honeysuckle) · L. subspicata (Southern Honeysuckle) · L. subspicata ata (Santa Barbara Honeysuckle) · L. subspicata var. denudata (Santa Barbara Honeysuckle) · L. subspicata var. johnstonii (Johnston's Honeysuckle) · L. subspicata var. subspicata (Southern Honeysuckle) · L. syringantha (Lilac-Flowering Honeysuckle) · L. syringantha var. wolfii (Lilac-Flowering Honeysuckle) · L. tatarica (Bush Honeysuckle) · L. tatarica 'Arnold Red' (Arnold Red Tatarian Honeysuckle) · L. tatarica 'Arnold's Red' (Bush Honeysuckle) · L. tatarica 'Honeyrose' (Bush Honeysuckle) · L. tragophylla (Chinese Honeysuckle) · L. utahensis (Utah Honeysuckle) · L. villosa (Mountain Fly Honeysuckle) · L. villosa var. calvescens (Mountain Fly Honeysuckle) · L. villosa var. fulleri (Fuller's Honeysuckle) · L. villosa var. solonis (Mountain Fly Honeysuckle) · L. villosa var. tonsa (Mountain Fly Honeysuckle) · L. villosa var. villosa (Mountain Fly Honeysuckle) · L. xylosteoides (Fly Honeysuckle) · L. xylosteum (Dwarf Honeysuckle) · L. xylosteum L. 'Emerald Mound' (European Fly Honeysuckle)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 42.
- A catalogue of plants, growing without cultivation in the vicinity of Troy. / By John Wright, M.D., and James Hall, A.M. Troy: N. Tuttle, printer--Sign of the Lever Printing Press, 1836. url p. 16, p. 44.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 65.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 442.
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 69.
- A guide to the wild flowers, by Alice Lounsberry. With sixty-four coloured and one hundred black-and-white plates and fifty-four diagrams by Mrs. Ellis Rowan; with an introduction by Dr. N.L. Britton... New York, Frederick A. Stokes company url , p. 265.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 744.
- A practical handbook of trees, shrubs, vines and herbaceous perennials, by John Kirkegaard. Boston, Williams Bookstores Co., 1916. url p. 392.
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 57.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url , p. 204.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url .
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 10.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 455, p. 525, p. 566.
- A year's gardening London, T. Werner Laurie, [1912?] url .
- A year's gardening, New York, C. Scribner's sons[1912?] url p. 224.
- Agriculture of North Carolina, part II: containing a statement of the principles of the science upon which the practices of agriculture as an art are founded / by Ebenezer Emmons. Raleigh: W.W. Holden, Printer to the State, 1860. url p. 115.
- Agronomy; a course in practical gardening for high schools, by Willard Nelson Clute. .. Boston, Ginn and Company, [c1913] url p. 288.
- American horticultural manual. .. By J.L. Budd. .. assisted by N.E. Hansen. .. Illustrated. .. New York, J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.]1902-1903. url p. 364.
- American horticultural manual. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.]1902-03. url .
- American horticultural manual. New York, Wiley, 1914. url p. 364.
- American horticultural manual... By J.L. Budd...assisted by N.E. Hansen...Illustrated... New York: J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.], 1902-1903. url p. 364.
- An authentic history of Lancaster County: in the state of Pennsylvania / by J.I. Mombert. Lancaster, Pa.: J.E. Barr & Co., 1869. url p. 587.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , p. 8.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 280.
- An introduction to entomology: or, Elements of the natural history of insects. .. / by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longmans, Green, 1865. url p. 384.
- Andorra hand-book [of trees and shrubs] Philadelphia url p. 107.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 57.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 103, p. 153, p. 333.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 652.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 116, p. 61.
- Annual report / Florida State Geological Survey. Tallahassee, Fla.: Capital Pub. Co., state printer, url p. 273.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 18 1907 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 107, p. 167, p. 169, p. 209, p. 221, p. 29.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 707, p. 712.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 55.
- Annual report of the State Horticultural Society of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: The Society, 1894- url p. 393.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 102.
- Appendix to the first twenty-three volumes of Edwards's botanical register: consisting of a complete alphabetical and systematical index of names, synomymes and matter, adjusted to the present state of systematical botany, together with a sketch of the vegetation of the Swan by John Lindley. London: James Ridgway, 1839. url p. xvii.
- Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana by J. C. Loudon. London, Printed for the author, 1838. url p. 1048.
- Aristocrats of the garden, by Ernest H. Wilson. .. Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company[c1917] url p. 307.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 11, p. 114, p. 119, p. 14, p. 3, p. 39, p. 48, p. 5, p. 6.
- Beautiful flowering trees and shrubs for British and Irish gardens / by John Weathers. London: Simpkin, Marshall, [1903?] url p. 39.
- Bergen's botany, key and flora. Northern and central states ed. By Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 231.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 99.
- Book of garden plans, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1916. url .
- Botany all the year round; a practical text-book for schools, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company url , , .
- Botany for secondary schools; a guide to the knowledge of the vegetation of the neighborhood, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Macmillan, 1913. url p. 428.
- Botany for young people and common schools: how plants grow: a simple introduction to structural botany: with a popular flora, or, an arrangement and description of common plants, both wild and cultivated / New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., 1881. url .
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state / by Rev. M.A. Curtis. Raleigh: Printed at N.C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url p. 143.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 40, p. 84.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 291.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 163, p. 84.
- Bulletin / Arizona Agricultural Experiment Station. Tucson: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Arizona, 1890-1960. url p. 273.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 224.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 5 1906 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 142.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 471.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Society, url p. 17, p. 19.
- Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences. Buffalo, N.Y.: The Society, 1874- url p. 181, p. 181.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url p. 61.
- Bulletin of the College of Charleston Museum. Charleston, S.C.: The Museum, 1905-1906. url p. 45, p. 78.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 87.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 30 1903 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 125, p. 140, p. 198, p. 323, p. 490, p. 58, p. 60.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 44.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 87.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 23 1935 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 130.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 224.
- Catalogue of plants found in New Jersey by N. L. Britton. Trenton: John L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1889 url p. 123.
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url , .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 366.
- Catalogue of the phaenogamous and filicoid plants of Newcastle County, Delaware: arranged according to the natural system, as recently revised by Prof. A. Gray and others; with the synonyms of modern authors / by Edward Tatnall. Wilmington, Del.: Wilmington Institute: sold by J.T. Heald, 1860. url p. 33.
- Catalogue of the phanerogams and ferns of Licking County, Ohio. Granville, Ohio, Press of Granville Times, 1892. url .
- Chapman, A. W. Flora of the southern United States:containing abridged descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system /By A. W. Chapman, the ferns by Prof. Daniel C. Eaton. 1860 N. Y.: Ivison, Phinney, 1860. url p. 170.
- Cincinnati quarterly journal of science. Cincinnati, S.A. Miller, 1874-1875. url p. 205.
- Class book of botany. Being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants. With a flora of all parts of the United States and Canada. By Alphonso Wood. .. New York, A.S. Barnes & Burr;1860. url p. 62.
- Class-book of botany: being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / New York: A. S. Barnes & Burr, 1863, c1860. url .
- Climbing plants, by William Watson; with introduction by W. Robinson. London [etc.]T. C. & E. C. Jack url p. 18.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url p. 29.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 188, p. 259, p. 375, p. 389, p. 393, p. 394, p. 401, p. 416, p. 485, p. 507, p. 508, p. 542, p. 549, p. 745.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 229.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 20 1804 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , , p. 111, p. 87.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1936, p. 942, p. 944.
- Cyclopedia of practical floriculture, edited by C. H. Turner. New York, T. MacCoun, 1884. url p. 395.
- Economic botany of Alabama. University, Ala., 1913-1928. url p. 320, p. 337.
- Edwards, S. T. The Botanical register: consisting of coloured figures of. .. 7 1821 London: Printed for James Ridgway, 1815-1828. url , , , , , , .
- Einleitung in die Entomologie: oder Elemente der Naturgeschichte der Insecten / Von Wilhelm Kirby und Wilhelm Spence. Stuttgart: Cottaischen Buchhandlung, 1823-1833. url p. 207.
- Elements of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1904, pref. 1906] url .
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 31.
- Essentials of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1908] url , .
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url p. 62.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 95.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 1.
- Field book of American wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews. 1912 New York, Putnam,  url fig. 228, p. 453, p. 580.
- Field book of american wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews... with numerous reproductions of water colors and pen-and-ink studies from nature by the author. New York, G.P. Putnam, 1902. url p. 545.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States, east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1868. url .
- Flood tolerance of plant species in bottomland forests of the southeastern United States / 1992. url p. 171, p. 185, p. 193, p. 197, p. 29.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 41.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , p. 354.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 372.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 372.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 246.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 229.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1093, p. 888.
- Flora of Lancaster County; being descriptions of the seed- plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvanial. By John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York, 1913. url p. 276.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 172.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 296.
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 36.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 259.
- Flora of the Miami Valley, Ohio /c by A.P. Morgan. Dayton, Ohio: Literary Union, 1878. url p. 22.
- Flora's dictionary / by a lady. Baltimore: Published by Fielding Lucas Jr., 1832. url .
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 218.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url .
- Flower ecology. [n.p.]Press of J. B. Hungerford url .
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 177.
- Flowers and ferns in their haunts, by Mabel Osgood Wright with illustrations from photographs by the author and J. Horace McFarland. London, The Macmillan company, 1901. url p. 457.
- Flowers and insects; lists of visitors of four hundred and fifty-three flowers, by Charles Robertson. Carlinville, Ill., n.p.1928. url p. 39.
- Forest conditions of Mississippi. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 140, p. 145, p. 152, p. 156.
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url .
- Fritz Bahr's commercial floriculture; a practical manual for the retail grower, New York, The A. T. De la Mare company, inc.[c1922] url .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 100, p. 315, p. 35, p. 491, p. 495, p. 496, p. 506, p. 526.
- Garden guide, the amateur gardeners' handbook; how to plan, plant and maintain the home grounds, the suburban garden, the city lot. How to grow good vegetables and fruit. How to care for roses and other favorite flowers, hardy plants, trees, shrub New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc.[c1917] url .
- Garden guide; the amateur gardeners' handbook. Profusely illustrated with over 275 teaching plans and diagrams and reproduced photographs, all made expressly for this standard text book. Edited by A. T. De La Mare. New York, A. T. De La Mare[c1920] url p. 61.
- Garden-making: suggestions for the utilizing of home grounds, by L. H. Bailey. .. London: Macmillan, 1898. url p. 237, p. 237, p. 293.
- Gardening for amateurs; a simple, complete, and practical guide for garden lovers, edited by H. H. Thomas. Illustrated by twenty-four coloured plates and many hundreds of photographs and sketches. New York: Funk and Wagnalls company,  url p. 875.
- Gardening for pleasure. A guide to the amateur in the fruit, vegetable, and flower garden, with full directions for the greenhouse, conservatory, and window garden. By Peter Henderson. New York, Orange Judd co., 1888. url p. 192.
- Gardening for pleasure. a guide to the amateur in the fruit, vegetable, and flower garden, with full directions for the greenhouse, conservatory, and window garden. New York: Orange Judd, 1898, c1887. url p. 192.
- Gardening for pleasure: a guide to the amateur in the fruit, vegetable, and flower garden, with full directions for the greenhouse, conservatory, and window-garden / by Peter Henderson. New York: O. Judd Company, [c1875] url p. 106.
- Gardening in Egypt: a handbook of gardening for Lower Egypt, by Walter Draper. .. London, L.U. Gill, 1895. url p. 51.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 282.
- Gardens near the sea; the making and care of gardens on or near the coast with reference also to lawns and grounds and to trees and shrubbery, New York, Frederick A. Stokes company[c1910] url , .
- Gray's Botanical text-book New York, Ivison, 1879-1885. url p. 217.
- Gray's Botanical text-book. New York: American Book Company, c1879. url p. 217.
- Gray's lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by over 360 wood engravings, from original drawings, by Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co. url .
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany" bound in one volume. By Asa Gray. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, & company, 1881. url p. 170.
- Guide to the autumn flowers of Minnesota, field and garden. [By] F. E. Clements, C. O. Rosendahl and F. K. Butters. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota, 1913. url p. 32.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 437.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 437.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 76.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. .. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin. ..entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url .
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and New Castle County, Delaware, with keys for identification comp. by Ida A. Keller and Stewardson Brown. Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url p. 303.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 6.
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , .
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, by Helen R. Albee; illustrated from photographs. New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , .
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 464.
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, from the discovery of the territory included within its limit to the present time, with a notice of the geology of the county, and catalogues of its minerals, plants, quadrupeds, and birds, written un by George Smith, M.D. Philadelphia, Printed by H.B. Ashmead, 1862. url p. 421.
- History of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. 1829-1878. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 226.
- History of the town of Hingham, Massachusetts: in three volumes. [Hingham, Mass.]: Published by the town, 1893 url p. 146.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 133, p. 65.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 398.
- House & garden's book of gardens; containing over four hundred illustrations of special flower types, plans and suggestions for landscape work, a complete gardener's calendar of the year's activities, planting and spraying tables, and New York, C. Nast & Company, 1921. url p. 35.
- How to know the wild flowers: a guide to the names, haunts, and habits of our common wild flowers / by Mrs. William Starr Dana [i.e. F.T.S.D. Parsons]; illustrated by Marion Satterlee and Elsie Louise Shaw. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1913. url , p. 268, p. 336.
- How to know wild fruits; a guide to plants when not in flower by means of fruit and leaf; by Mary Elisabeth Herbert. New York, Macmillan, 1914. url , p. 149, p. x.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 171, p. 181.
- Insect life / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, url p. 119.
- Insects of New Jersey; a list of the species occurring in New Jersey, with notes on those of economic importance, by John B. Smith. Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, state printers, 1900. url p. 104, p. 104.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url , p. 114.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url p. 169.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url , p. 227.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url , p. 111, p. 111, p. 144, p. 145, p. 145, p. 152, p. 81.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 35 1934 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 155.
- Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society. London: The Society, 1866-1975. url p. 233.
- Key and flora: northern and central states / Boston: Ginn, 1908. url .
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 20, p. 22.
- Landscape gardening. A collection of plans illustrating the improvement of home grounds, town lots, real estate subdivisions, public squares, cemeteries, with copious explanations. By Elias A. Long. Buffalo, Popular Gardening Pub. Co., 1891 url .
- Landscape gardening. Notes and suggestions on lawns and lawn planting--laying out and arrangement of country places, large and small parks, cemetery plots, and railway-station lawns--deciduous and evergreen trees and shru New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1891. url .
- Leaf-mining insects / by James G. Needham, Stuart W. Frost, Beatrice H. Tothill. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins company, [c1928] url p. 313.
- Leaves and flowers; or, Object lessons in botany. With a Flora. New York, A.S. Barnes & co., 1870. url p. 33.
- Lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants, for schools and academies / by Alfonso Wood; revised and edited by Oliver R. Willis. New York: American Book Company, 1889. url p. 123, p. 43.
- Life-histories of the birds of eastern Pennsylvania, by Thomas G. Gentry. .. Philadelphia: Pub. by the author, 1876-77. url p. 245, p. 250.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 306.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , p. 72, p. 76, p. 77.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 469.
- Manual of gardening: a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use / New York: Macmillan Co., 1911. url .
- Manual of gardening; a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Macmillan[c1916] url p. 316.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (the mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) Chicago: Ivison, Phinney; 1863, c1862. url .
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 876.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 1274.
- Memoir / Ithaca, N.Y. url p. 833.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 579.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 9 1900 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 274.
- Message from the President of the United States, transmitting a report of the secretary of agriculture in relation to the forests, rivers and mountains of the southern Appalachian region. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1902. url p. 109.
- Minnesota trees and shrubs: an illustrated manual of the native and cultivated woody plants of the State / Frederic E. Clements, C. Otto Rosendahl, Frederic K. Butters. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1912. url p. 287.
- My garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. .. illustrated by Will Simmons. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page & company, [c1916] url p. 249, p. 249.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 41.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , p. 159.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 115, p. 128, p. 18, p. 40.
- Natural area inventory of Washington County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 142, p. 89.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 296, p. 296.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 455, p. 455.
- Nature's garden: an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors / text by Neltje Blanchan; with colored plates and many other illustratins potographed directly form nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1900. url p. 391.
- Nature's garden; an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors. With colored plates and many other illus. photographed directly from nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. Text by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] 1922 Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 391.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 116, p. 61.
- New book of flowers. By Joseph Breck. New York, O. Judd & company[c1866] url p. 422.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 400, p. 420.
- Notes on the state of Virginia. Boston, Lilly and Wait, 1832. url p. 37.
- Observations on the colors of flowers / by E. Williams Hervey. New Bedford [Mass.]: E. Anthony & Sons, 1899. url p. 15.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 113, p. 113.
- Our garden flowers; a popular study of their native lands, their life histories, and their structural affiliations, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1910. url , .
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 145.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 503.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 134, p. 143, p. 24, p. 34, p. 38, p. 45.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url , p. 105, p. 105.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, New York, A. T. De La Mare Co., Inc.[c1921] url .
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 122.
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 745.
- Plants for California landscapes: a catalog of drought tolerant plants. [Sacramento, Calif.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Water Resources,  url p. 104.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 260, p. 35, p. 41, p. 44.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 147.
- Practical guide to the wild flowers and fruits by George Lincoln Walton. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1909. url p. 108, p. 168.
- Practical landscape gardening, with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of art; with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds. Cincinnati, Moore, Wilstach, Keys & co., 1855. url p. 165.
- Practical landscape gardening: with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of the art: with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds / by G.M. Kern. Cincinnati: Moore, Wilstach, Keys & Co., No. 25 West Fourth Street, 1855. url p. 165.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 534, p. 548, p. 573, p. 587, p. 706, p. 706.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 1010, p. 118, p. 201, p. 54, p. 832.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 311.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 273.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 139, p. 174.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 22.
- Reevaluation of vegetational characteristics at the CERC Field Research Facility, Duck, North Carolina / by Richard L. Harris, Gerald F. Levy, and James E. Perry; prepared for U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: National Technical Information Service, Operations Division [distributor, 1983] url p. 32.
- Reliquiae Baldwinianae: selections from the correspondence of the late William Baldwin with occasional notes, and a short biographical memoir compiled by William Darlington. Philadelphia: Kimber and Sharpless, 1843. url p. 81.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , .
- Report on the agriculture and geology of Mississippi. Embracing a sketch of the social and natural history of the state. By B.L.C. Wailes, geologist of Mississippi. .. [Jackson]E. Barksdale, State Printer, 1854. url p. 345.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 63.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 140, p. 256, p. 307.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 287.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 446.
- Revision of the North American species of the genus Lithocolletis Hübner / by Annette F. Braun. [Philadelphia: s. n.]1908. url p. 315, p. 316.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 146.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1125.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 16.
- South African journal of natural history. Pretoria, South African Biological Society. url p. 109, p. 84.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 326, p. 326.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 146.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 204.
- Stout manual training school; a handbook for planning and planting small home grounds. .. with a list of native and commonly cultivated plants that are represented in the collection upon the Stout manual training school grounds. Menomonie, Wis., Stout manual training school, 1899. url p. 36, p. 57, p. 71.
- Structural botany, or Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company,  url .
- Structural botany, or, Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. New York: American Book Compnay,  url p. 217.
- Structural botany: or, organography on the basis of morphology: to which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. London: Macmillan and Co., [c1879] url p. 217.
- Students' handbook to accompany Plants and their uses / by Frederick Leroy Sargent. New York: Henry Holt, 1914. url .
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 17.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 16.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalae, a second edition of vol. I, pt. II, and vol. II, pt. I / collected by Asa Gray. Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1888. url p. 16.
- The American botanist and florist, including lessons in the structure, life growth of plants, together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the American uni New York, Barnes[n.d.] url p. 36.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants; together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the America By Alphonso Wood. .. Chicago, A. S. Barnes & Company, 1873 [c1870] url p. 36.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 6, p. 74.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1183, p. 482, p. 5, p. 63.
- The American flower garden companion / by Edward Sayers. Cincinnati: J. A. James, 1846. url p. 207.
- The American gardener's assistant in three parts containing complete practical directions for the cultivation of vegetables, flowers, fruit trees and grape vines / by Thomas Bridgeman Philadelphia: H. T. Coates, [c1866] url p. 51, p. 51.
- The American gardener's assistant. In three parts. Containing complete practical directions for the cultivation of vegetables, flowers, fruit trees, and grape-vines. By Thomas Bridgeman. New York, W. Wood & Co., 1867. url p. 51.
- The American home garden. New York, Harper & brothers, 1860. url p. 483.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 314.
- The American journal of science. 21(2) 1856 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 298, p. 314, p. 371.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 191.
- The American monthly microscopical journal. New York: Romyn Hitchcock, 1880-1902. url p. 132, p. 132.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 15.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 199, p. 839.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Calif.: F.A. Miller & Co., 1870- url p. 44.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 342.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 58.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 669.
- The English gardener; or, A treatise on the situation, soil, enclosing and laying-out of kitchen gardens. .. concluding with a kalendar, giving instructions relative to the sowings, plantings, prunings. .. in each month of By William Cobbett. London, The author, 1829. url .
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 410, p. 410.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 399.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1196, p. 1291, p. 1387, p. 1449, p. 163, p. 19, p. 231, p. 289, p. 451, p. 573, p. 614, p. 764.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , p. 15, p. 172, p. 191, p. 192, p. 22, p. 228, p. 230, p. 24, p. 260, p. 261, p. 276, p. 278, p. 28, p. 288, p. 296, p. 306, p. 307, p. 342, p. 354, p. 370, p. 377, p. 383, p. 388, p. 389, p. 400, p. 402, p. 406, p. 415, p. 449, p. 45, p. 452, p. 486, p. 51, p. 523, p. 524, p. 537, p. 573, p. 581, p. 588, p. 591, p. 594, p. 596, p. 78, p. 92.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 67.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 327.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1079, p. 1128.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , p. 107, p. 16, p. 166, p. 180, p. 182, p. 200, p. 21, p. 231, p. 278, p. 357, p. 372, p. 388, p. 420, p. 436, p. 464, p. 475, p. 485, p. 494, p. 506, p. 52, p. 520, p. 568, p. 60, p. 650, p. 672, p. 673, p. 677, p. 713, p. 736, p. 806.
- The Genesee farmer. Rochester, N.Y.: [L. Tucker], 1831- url p. 43.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 425, p. 451.
- The International Transfer Format (ITF) for botanic garden plant records. Version 01.00 IUCN, Botanic Gardens Conservation Secretariat url p. 50.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 184, p. 37.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 271.
- The Maine naturalist: journal of the Knox Academy of Arts and Sciences on the fauna, flora and geology of Maine. Thomaston [Me.]: The Academy, [1921-1930] url , p. 102.
- The New England farmer. Boston: Thomas W. Shepard, 1822-1835. url p. 92.
- The North American Pyrenomycetes. A contribution to mycologic botany, Newfield, N. J., Ellis & Everhart, 1892 [c1890] url , .
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 298, p. 304, p. 306, p. 472.
- The Southern Appalachian forests, WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1905 url p. 42.
- The Universal herbal; or, Botanical, medical, and agricultural dictionary; containing an account of all the known plants in the world, arranged according to the Linnean system. Specifying the uses to which they are or may be applied, whether as food, as medicine, or in the a London, Caxton Press url p. 860, p. 866.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 22 1935 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 28, p. 29, p. 31, p. 35, p. 37, p. 39, p. 41, p. 50, p. 50.
- The Woods and Timbers of North Carolina By P.M. Hale. A compilation from the botanical and geological reports of Drs. Curtis, Emmons and Kerr; to which are added information obtained from the Census bureau and accurate reports from the seve New York, E. J. Hale and Son, 1883. url p. 185.
- The art & craft of garden making / Thomas H. Mawson. London: B.T. Batsford;  url p. 308.
- The art of beautifying suburban home grounds of small extent. Illustrated by upward of two hundred plates and engravings of plans for residences and their grounds, of trees and shrubs, and garden embellishments; with descriptions of the beautiful and hardy trees By Frank J. Scott. New York, John B. Alden, 1886. url p. 612.
- The blossom circle of the year in southern gardens, New York, N.Y., A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 164.
- The book of climbing plants and wall shrubs, by S. Arnott. London, J. Lane, 1903 [pub. 1902] url p. 114, p. 114.
- The book of garden design, London and New York, J. Lane, 1905. url .
- The book of garden design, by Charles Thonger. London, J. Lane, 1905. url p. 86.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 145.
- The book of the seasons; or, The calendar of nature. LondonR. Bentley1833 url p. 120.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 175, p. 175, p. 303, p. 303, p. 308, p. 308.
- The crane-flies of New York. [Ithaca]1919-1920. url p. 833.
- The cultivated evergreens; a handbook of the coniferous and most important broad-leaved evergreens planted for ornament in the United States and Canada, edited by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1923. url p. 380, p. 390, p. 395.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Franklin County [Indiana]. Richmond, 1885-1886 url p. 24.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 157.
- The flora of the metamorphic region of Alabama / by F.S. Earle. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1902. url p. 108.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 251.
- The floral kingdom: its history, sentiment and poetry: A dictionary of more than three hundred plants, with the genera and families to which they belong, and the language of each illustrated with appropriate gems to poe Chicago: M. Warren, 1877, c1876. url .
- The florist's guide, New York, For sale by the author; Boston, J. Breck & co.; [etc., etc.]1844. url p. 47.
- The florist's guide; containing practical directions for the cultivation of annual, biennial, and perennial flowering plants, of different classes, herbaceous and shrubby, bulbous, fibrous, and tuberous-rooted; including By T. Bridgeman. New York: Printed by A. Hanford, 1847. url p. 47.
- The gallery of nature and art; or, A tour through creation and science, LondonR. Wilks1818 url p. 22.
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom, height and cultivation of all desirable, hardy herbaceous perennials for the formal or wild garden with additional lists of aquatics, vines, ferns, et by Mabel Cabot Sedgwick assisted by Robert Cameron with over two hundred half-tone engravings from photographs of growing plants, and a chart in colors. New York, F.A. Stokes Co.,  url .
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 452.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 362, p. 466.
- The honey bee; its natural history, physiology, and management. By Edward Bevan. London, Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1827. url p. 59, p. 59.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 223, p. 83.
- The living flora of West Virginia, by C.F. Millspaugh. The fossil flora of West Virginia, by David White. Charleston?1913 url p. 362.
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url p. 206.
- The native flowers and ferns of the United States in their botanical, horticultural and popular aspects / Boston: L. Prang and Company, 1878- url , , , .
- The natural history of Chautauqua. New York: B. W. Huebsch, 1917. url p. 63.
- The new practical window gardener; being practical directions for the cultivation of flowering and foliage plants in windows and glazed cases, and the arrangement of plants and flowers for the embellishment of the household. London, Groombridge and sons, 1877. url .
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url p. 230.
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, by Dr. W. Pfeffer. .. 2d fully rev. ed., translated and edited by Alfred J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 230.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 486, p. 72, p. 76.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 707.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 707.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1911, p. 1913, p. 2691, p. 2695, p. 2698, p. 2706.
- The vegetation of Shackleford Bank / by I.F. Lewis. Raleigh: Edwards & Broughton, 1917. url .
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 99.
- The young gardener's assistant, in three parts, containing catalogues of garden and flower seed, with directions under each head for the cultivation of culinary vegetables and flowers. .. New York, The author, 1847. url p. 47.
- The young gardener's assistant: in three parts containing catalogues of garden and flower seed, with practical directions under each head for the cultivation of culinary vegetables and flowers; also, directions for cultivating frui by Thomas Bridgeman. New York: For sale by the author, Broadway, corner of Eighteenth Street, 1845 url p. 47.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 176, p. 193, p. 266, p. 310, p. 72, p. 8.
- Town planting and the trees, shrubs, herbaceous and other plants that are best adapted for resisting smoke. London: E.P. Dutton & co.,  url p. 123, p. 203, p. 208.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 254.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 316.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 659, p. 659.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 169, p. 356, p. 74, p. 93.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 100, p. 63.
- Transactions. Columbus, Ohio [etc.] url p. 249.
- Travels in the Confederation, 1783-1784. From the German. Translated and edited by Alfred J. Morrison. Philadelphia, W.J. Campbell, 1911. url p. 178.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 41, p. 44, p. 52.
- Trees and shrubs of the British Isles; native and acclimatised, LondonDent1909 url p. 258.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 41, p. 44, p. 52.
- Trees for Long Island. [S.l.:s.n.], 1908. url p. 75.
- Trees, fruits, and flowers of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Minnesota State Horticultural Society, 1899-1920. url p. 132, p. 136, p. 255, p. 52, p. 95.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 325.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 504, p. 585, p. 980.
- Webster's Practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament / by A.D. Webster. London: W. Rider & son, limited,  url p. 107.
- Webster's practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. By A.D. Webster. .. London, W. Rider & Son, Limited[pref. 1905] url p. 91.
- Wild flowers east of the Rockies / by Chester A. Reed. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1910. url p. 328.
- Wild flowers east of the Rockies. Worcester, Mass., Reed, 1910. url p. 328, p. 329.
- Wild flowers of New York, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1918. url p. 269, p. 338.
- Wild flowers; New York, Macmillan Co., 1934. url , .
- Window gardening, and a list of some of the flowers found growing naturally in the vicinity of Boston. .. [Boston]: Massachusetts Horticultural Society, c1889. url p. 14.
- Woody plants in winter; a manual of common trees and shrubs in winter in the Northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, by Earl L. Core and Nelle P. Ammons. Pittsburgh, Boxwood Press url p. 187, p. 188, p. 189.
- Yard and garden; a book of practical information for the amateur gardener in city, town or suburb, Indianapolis, The Bobbs-Merrill company url p. 94.
- [Collected papers on Tineina] Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1877-78. url p. 114, p. 114.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 14, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 8 providers.
- Light, Kris. East Tennessee Wildflowers
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 29, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Institute of Genetics, ROIS, Herbarium Specimens of Museum of Nature and Human Activities, Hyogo Pref., Japan
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657187
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35303
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13758053
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:149078-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 454755
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35303
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 149078-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDCPR030P0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: LOSES
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 47784