Perennial herb. Sun. Height to 6'. Space at 36".
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Angudân Rûmî, Kâshin, Kâshin Rûmî, كاشم
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
Common Names in Chinese:
Ou Dang Gui, 欧当归
Common Names in Croatian:
Ljekoviti Ljupčac, Ljupčac, Magi-Začin, Selen
Common Names in Czech:
Libeček, Libeček Lékařský
Common Names in Danish:
Løvstikke, Løvstikke, Maggiurt
Common Names in Dutch:
Lavas, Lubbestok, Maggikruid, Maggiplant, Mankracht
Common Names in English:
Garden Lovage, Bladder Seed, Lovage, Love Parsley, Mountain Hemlock
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Liperi, Liperi (kasvi), Lipstikka
Common Names in French:
Ache De Montagne, Ache Des Montagnes, Céleri Batard, Céleri De Montagne, Céleri Perpétuel, Céleri Perpétuel, Gaya à Tige Simple, Herbe à Maggi (Switzerland), herbe à Maggi, Lévistique Officinale, Livêche, Livèche, Livèche, livèche officinale, Séséli Commun
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Badekraut, Berg-Liebstöckel, Echter Liebstöckel, Liebstöckel, Liebstock, Liebstöckel, Liebstöckl, Lusch, Luststock, Maggikraut, Maggikraut (Switzerland)
Common Names in Greek, Modern:
Lebistiko, Levistiko, Λεβιστικο
Common Names in Hebrew (modern):
Common Names in Hungarian:
Lestyán, Lestyán, Orvosi lestyán
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Levistico, Ligustico, Sedano Di Montagna, Sedano Di Monte, Seseli Comune
Common Names in Japanese:
Ro-Be-(tu)-Zi, Robejji, ラベージ, ロベッジ
Common Names in Korean:
Ra-Ba-Ji, Ra-Be-Ji, Rabaji, Rabeji, Reo-Bi-Ji, Reo-Bwi-Ji, Reobiji, Reobwiji, Ro-Ba-Ji, Robaji, Robiji, Robwiji, 라바지, 라베지, 러뷔지, 러비지, 로바지
Common Names in Latvian:
Ārstniecības lupstājs, Lupstājs
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Kjærlighetsurt, Løpstikke, Løpstikke
Common Names in Persian:
Anğdan Rwmý, Anjodan Romi, انجدان رومی
Common Names in Persian (Farsi):
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Goricvet, Goritsvet, Gulâvica, Guljavitsa, Gulyavitsa, Krovavnik, Ljubistok, Lûbistok, Lyubistok, Zorâ, Zorja, Zorya, Горицвет, Гулявица, Зоря, Кровавник, Любисток
Common Names in Scottish Gaelic:
Luibh an Liugair
Common Names in Slovak:
Americký Zeler, Korenie Maggi, Ligurček, Ligurček Lekársky
Common Names in Slovene:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Apio De Montaña, Apio De Montaña, Levístico, Ligústico, Ligústico
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Thai:
Kot Cheyng, โกฐเชียง
Common Names in Turkish:
Deniz Maydanozu, Kiashém, Selam Otu, Yaban Kereviz, Yaban Kerevizi
Common Names in Ukrainian:
, stout. Leaves 23-pinnate. Umbels compound
; bracts and bracteoles several. Calyx teeth obsolete
. Petals yellowish green to yellow, elliptic
, apex incurved
. Fruit ellipsoid
, slightly flattened dorsally
; dorsal ribs obtusely prominent
, lateral ribs narrowly thick-winged; vittae 1 in each furrow, 2 on commissure
. Seed face
. Carpophore 2-cleft to base
Three species: Afghanistan, SW Asia, Europe, North America; one species (introduced ) in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: June. • Flower Color: chartreuseyellow-green
Size: 36-48" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,429 meters (0 to 7,969 feet).
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b. (map)
Hipposelinum levisticum (L.) Britt. & Rose • Levisticum paludapifolium Aschers.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Levisticum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the years 1596-1599 /edited with notes, references to Gerard's Herball, the addition of modern names, and a life of the author, by Benjamin Daydon Jackson. 1876 London: Privately printed, 1876 url p. 60.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 212.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 203.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url .
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 328.
- A history of gardening in England, By the Hon. Alicia Amherst. London: B. Quaritch, 1896. url p. 74, p. 74.
- A list of plants growing without cultivation in Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden Counties, Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1913. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 648, p. 949.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 354.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 115, p. 15, p. 186, p. 22, p. 241, p. 30, p. 40, p. 47, p. 56, p. 59, p. 93, p. 97.
- Alien flora of Britain. London, West, Newman, 1905. url p. 88.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 334, p. 686, p. 706.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions, from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia, and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian, New York, Scribner[c1913] url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 415.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 530.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 152.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url .
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 54.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 643.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url , p. 643.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 346.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 244.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 167.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 202, p. 203.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 21 1932 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 10, p. 16.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 555.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 120, p. 87.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1904-05 1904 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 11, p. 12, p. 16, p. 18.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 1914 41 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 126, p. 649.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 239, p. 260, p. 8.
- Catalogue of the African plants London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 302.
- Culinary herbs: their cultivation harvesting curing and uses / New York: Orange Judd Co., 1912. url , .
- Culinary herbs; New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 99.
- Culinary herbs; their cultivation, harvesting, curing and uses, by M. G. Kains. .. New York: Orange Judd Company; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 52, p. 99.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 685.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 685.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 60.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 452, p. 863.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , p. 354.
- Flora of Vermont; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Ezra Brainerd, L.R. Jones and W.W. Eggleston, committee for the Vermont botanical club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Association, 1900. url p. 65.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url , p. 31.
- Gaelic names of plants (Scottish and Irish): collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, their uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaelic, English, and scientific names / by John Cameron. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood, 1883. url p. 31.
- Gray's school and field book of botany: consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany": bound in one volume. New York: American Book Co., c1895. url p. 203.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 667.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 488.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 20.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 225, p. 451.
- Johnson's Gardeners' dictionary and cultural instructor. London, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd. url p. 498.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 193.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 6 1986 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 289, p. 292, p. 294, p. 303.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 88, p. 96.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Julius von Sachs, translated by H. Marshall Ward. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 820.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , p. 131, p. 132.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book Co., c1889. url p. 735.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 118, p. 139, p. 140.
- On the popular names of British plants, being an explanation of the origin and meaning of the names of our indigenous and most commonly cultivated species. By R. C. A. Prior. London: Williams and Norgate, 1870. url p. 138.
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url .
- Perennial medicinal herb trials, 1996-1999 / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 23, p. 5.
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 378.
- Pharmazeutische Waarenkunde, von Dr. Otto Berg. Berlin, R. Gaertner, 1863. url p. 62.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 414.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 415.
- Plant lore, legends, and lyrics. Embracing the myths, traditions, superstitions, and folk-lore of the plant kingdom. By Richard Folkard, jun. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, and Rivington, 1884. url p. 422.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. xxiv.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 97, p. xxv.
- Practical plant physiology: an introduction to original research for students and teachers of natural science, medicine, agriculture and forestry / by W. Detmer; translated from the 2nd German edition by S.A. Moor. London: Macmillan, 1898. url p. 523.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 24.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 461.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 12, p. 54.
- Spices and condiments / by James B. McNair, Asst. Curator of Economic Botany. Chicago:Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 33.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 334.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 354.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 46.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 252.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 226.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 18.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 24, p. 331.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 99.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 22 1887 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 106.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 155.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 251, p. 318.
- The book of herbs / London; J. Lane, 1903. url .
- The book of herbs / by Lady Rosalind Northcote. London; John Lane: The Bodley Head, MCMIII . url p. 65.
- The book of vegetables and garden herbs; a practical handbook and planting table for the vegetable gardener, by Allen French. London: The Macmillan company, 1907. url p. 308.
- The chemical synthesis of vital products and the interrelations between organic compounds / By Raphael Meldola. London: E. Arnold, 1904. url p. 319, p. 90.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 8, p. 8.
- The home garden book of herbs and spices / by Milo Miloradovich. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday & Co., c1952. url p. 189, p. 190, p. 220, p. 97.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 258.
- The names of herbes, A.D. 1548. Edited, with an introd., an index of English names, and an indentification of the plants enumerated by Turner, LondonPublished for the English Dialect Society by N. Trübner1881 url p. 129.
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 189.
- The nursery-book: a complete guide to the multiplication of plants / by L. H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan co., 1913, [c1896] url p. 357.
- The nursery-book; a complete guide to the multiplication of plants. .. New York, The Macmillan Co., 1914. url , .
- The principles of vegetable-gardening. New York: Macmillan, [c1921] url , .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url , p. 3626, p. 62.
- The structure of economic plants, by Herman E. Hayward. New York, Macmillan, 1938. url p. 84.
- The vegetable garden; illustrations, descriptions, and culture of the garden vegetables of cold and temperate climates, by MM. Vilmorin-Andrieux, of Paris. English ed. pub. under the direction of W. Robinson. With an addendum by W. P. Thomson. New York, E.P. Dutton and company, 1920. url p. 399, p. 793.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 47.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 16, 2008:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Bioversity International, EURISCO, The European Genetic Resources Search Catalogue
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Observations du Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien.
- GBIF-Spain, Botánica, Universidad de León: LEB-Cormo
- International Plant Genetic Resources Institute(IPGRI), EURISCO
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research
- , IPK Genebank
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular plant data for Scottish Vice-counties
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University Museums of Norway
- , University Museums of Norway
- University of Colorado Museum, Zoological specimens
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Vascular Plant Collection - University of Washington Herbarium
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2652946
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-29673
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:844187-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 22014
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 29673
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDAPI17010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: LEPA13
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 43038
- Pan Zehui, Mark F. Watson "Levisticum". in Flora of China Vol. 14 Page 172. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 196.290 meters (643.996 feet), Standard Deviation = 245.100 based on 482 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]