Common Names in English:
or herbs, generally pubescent
, sometimes mixed with basifixed
hairs. Leaves pinnate or imparipinnate
or palmately trifoliolate
entire; stipules present. Inflorescence an axillary
or spike or solitary axillary. Bract generally caducous
, bracteoles absent. Calyx lobes
or teeth subequal
or lowermost longer
. Vexillum sessile or clawed. Wing
with the keel. Keel gibbous on each side and often spurred
. Stamens 9+1, diadelphous
. Ovary with numerous
or 1 to 2 ovules, style glabrous
, stigma capitate, often penicillate
. Fruit linear
, 4-3-seeded or compressed
between the seeds. Seeds globose to cylindric
, compressed or quadrate
A genus with more than 300 species, widely distributed in tropics and subtropics of both New and Old Worlds, with centre of distribution in Tropical Africa. In Pakistan it is represented by 24 species.
Habit: Shrub • Climbing: Not Climbing
Flowers: Bloom Period: March. • Flower Color: pale pink, pink
Size: 24-36" tall.
Culture: Space 36-48" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Rosanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Indigofera incarnata (Willd.)nakai
Members of the genus Indigofera
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 43 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
I. amblyantha (Pink-Flower Indigo) · I. ammoxylum (Bois De Rose) · I. arrecta (Bengal Indigo) · I. aspalathoides (Wiry Indigo) · I. astragalina (Hairy Indigo) · I. australis (Austral Indigo) · I. campestris (Creeping Indigo) · I. caroliniana (Carolina Indigo) · I. coerulea (Indigotier Sauvage) · I. coerulea var. coerulea (Surat Indigo) · I. colutea (Rusty Indigo) · I. decora (Chinese Indigo) · I. eriocarpa (Indigofera) · I. glandulosa (Befari) · I. glandulosa var. glandulosa (Befari) · I. guatemalensis (Guatemalan Indigo) · I. hendecaphylla (Trailing Indigo) · I. heterantha (Himalayan Indigo) · I. hirsuta (Hairy Indigo) · I. kirilowii (Chinese Indigo) · I. leucotricha (Silver Indigo) · I. lindheimeriana (Lindheimer's Indigo) · I. linnaei (Birdsville Indigo) · I. longiracemosa (Manga) · I. miniata (Coast Indigo) · I. mysorensis (Mysore Panicled Indigo) · I. pendula (Weeping Shrub) · I. pilosa (Softhairy Indigo) · I. potaninii (Pink-Flower Indigo) · I. pseudotinctoria (Dwarf False Indigo) · I. pseudotinctoria 'Rose Carpet' (Dwarf False Indigo) · I. sphaerocarpa (Sonoran Indigo) · I. spicata (Creeping Indigo) · I. stachyodes (Long Spiked Indigo) · I. stenosepala (Maroampofotra) · I. suffruticosa (Akouveli) · I. suffruticosa suffruticosa (Akouveli) · I. tinctoria (Chinese Indigo) · I. tinctoria arcuata (Indian Indigo) · I. tinctoria tinctoria (Digo) · I. trifoliata (Threeleaf Indigo) · I. trita (Frijolillo) · I. zollingeriana (Zollinger's Indigo)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A list of plants of Formosa, by Takiya Kawakami. Taiwan shokubutsu mokuroku. Taihoku, Bureau of Productive Industry, Govt. of Formosa, 1910. url p. 29.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 336.
- Aristocrats of the garden, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1917. url .
- Aristocrats of the garden, by Ernest H. Wilson. .. Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company[c1917] url p. 305, p. 305.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 30.
- Edwards's botanical register. 32 1846 London: James Ridgway, 1829-1847. url , .
- Flora Hongkongensis; a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. LondonL. Reeve1861 url p. 76.
- Flora hongkongensis: a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. London, L. Reeve, 1861. url .
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 572.
- Flora of Kwangtung and Hongkong (China) being an account of the floweriing plants, ferns and fern allies together with keys for their determination preceded by a map and introduction, London, H. M. Stationery off., printed by Darling and son, ltd., 1912. url .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 266.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 20.
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 217.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 217.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 183.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 183.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url , p. 102, p. 311.
- Icones plantarum formosanarum nec non et contributiones ad floram formosanam: or, Icones of the plants of Formosa, and materials for a flora of the island, based on a study of the collections of the Botanical survey of the Government of Formosa / By B. Hayata. .. Taihoku: Bureau of Productive Industry, Government of Formosa, 1911-1921. url p. 175.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 336.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , p. 34, p. 37, p. 48, p. 53, p. 63.
- Miyabe-festschrift, or A collection of botanical papers presented to Prof. Dr. Kingo Miyabe on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of his academic service by his friends and pupils. Tokio, Rokumeikwan, 1911. url p. 325.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url , p. 310.
- New book of flowers. By Joseph Breck. New York, O. Judd & company[c1866] url p. 417.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 8 1813 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 68.
- Ornamental shrubs of the United States (hardy, cultivated) by Austin Craig Apgar. New York, American Book Company[c1910] url p. 119.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 85.
- Practical floriculture, a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, Judd url p. 212.
- Practical floriculture; a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, O. Judd company, 1883. url p. 245, p. 245, p. 245, p. 245, p. 245.
- Prince's select catalogue of the unrivaled collection of fruit & ornamental trees and shrubs, vines, creepers, p©onies, &c.: cultivated at the Linn©an Botanic Garden & Nurseries (founded 1732), Flushing, near New-York / Prince & Co. New York, N.Y.?: s.n., 1863 or 1864. url p. 19.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 209, p. 210.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1361.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 365, p. 479.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url , , p. 150, p. 195.
- The English flower garden and home grounds; design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture, by W. Robinson. .. Illustrated with many engravings on wood. London: J. Murray, 1900. url p. 601.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url , p. 15.
- The Florist and horticultural journal. Philadelphia, [Pa.: s.n.], 1853-1855. url , , , , , .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 170, p. 189, p. 256, p. 320, p. 342, p. 356, p. 359, p. 475, p. 492, p. 55, p. 592, p. 606.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1176, p. 15, p. 291, p. 417, p. 748.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 11, p. 136, p. 140, p. 170, p. 20, p. 21, p. 250, p. 28, p. 308, p. 48, p. 60, p. 740, p. 742.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 151, p. 19, p. 217.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 398.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 147, p. 149, p. 267, p. 267, p. 271, p. 283, p. 348, p. 428, p. 428, p. 482, p. 55, p. 57.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 23 1886-88 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 156.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 341, p. 443.
- The amateur's greenhouse and conservatory: a handy guide to the construction and management of planthouses, and the selection, cultivation, and improvement of ornamental greenhouse and conservatory plants / by Shirley Hibberd; illustrated with coloured plants and wood engravings. London: Groombridge and Sons, 1873. url p. 249.
- The book of shrubs, by George Gordon. London andJ. Lane, 1903. url .
- The book of shrubs. London, J. Lane, 1903 url .
- The first fifty years of the Arnold Arboretum [by] C.S. Sargent. Cambridge, Mass., 1922 url p. 153.
- The florist and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1850-1851. url p. 156.
- The florist, fruitist, and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1852- url p. 11, p. 136.
- The flower garden; or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for t by Joseph Breck. New York: A. O. Moore, 1859. url p. 376.
- The handbook to the flower garden and greenhouse / by George Glenny. London: W. Kent, 1859. url p. 153.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 181.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url , , p. 215, p. 231, p. 27, p. 309, p. 59, p. 68.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a by L. H. Bailey; illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. . New York, The Macmillan Co.; [etc., etc.]1916-1917 [v.5 1916] url p. 1472.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 654, p. 656, p. 714.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 656, p. 714.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed December 24, 2006. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- ILDIS World Database of Legumes. Release date: May 1, 2007
- ILDIS World Database of LegumesNov 10, 2005.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (May 05, 2008)
- van der Maesen, LJG, 2001-03 (from ILDIS).
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- National Institute of Genetics, ROIS, Herbarium Specimens of Museum of Nature and Human Activities, Hyogo Pref., Japan
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2841109
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ILD-16975
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481042
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:72152-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 19901
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 405032