. Leaf blades
flat. Inflorescence a moderately to densely contracted
2, lower floret bisexual
, upper floret staminate; rachilla usually curved
below bisexual floret, often shortly extended above staminate
floret; glumes subequal
, enclosing florets, strongly keeled
, lower glume 1-veined, upper glume 3-veined; lemmas cartilaginous
, shiny, rounded
on back, veins indistinct, apex obtuse
or 2-toothed, upper lemma or both awned
arising from upper 1/3 of lemma back, geniculate
, hooked or straight; palea slightly shorter than lemma, membranous.
Eight species: N Africa, SW Asia, Europe; one species (introduced ) in China.
Members of the genus Holcus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Flora of Syria, Palestine, and Sinai: from the Taurus to Ras Muhammas and from the Mediterranean sea to the Syrian desert / by Rev. George E. Post. Beirut, Syria: Syrian Protestant college url p. 868.
- History of Pasadena, comprising an account of the native Indian, Pasadena, Cal., Pasadena history company, 1895. url p. 615.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 16, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 16, 2008:
- GBIF-Spain: Herbario de la Universidad de Salamanca: SALA
- GBIF-Spain: Real Jardin Botanico (Madrid), Vascular Plant Herbarium (MA)
- GBIF-Spain: Universidad de Extremadura, UNEX
- GBIF-Sweden: Lund Botanical Museum (LD)
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5913593
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15759759
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:404972-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 2134693