Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Orange Hawkweed, Devil´s-Paintbrush, Devil's-Paintbrush, Fox-And-Cubs, Grim-The-Collier, King-Devil
Common Names in French:
The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
The Lactuceae are a tribe of closely related genera of the sunflower family that are easily recognized because the flowering heads are composed of wholly of ligulate florets that are usually 5-lobed. Another very distinguishing feature is the milky sap . Although not apparent without magnification, the pollen is distinctive in that the spines are more or less restricted to discrete ridges or flanges on the surface of the grain. In other members of the family the spines are distributed more or less evenly over the surface of the pollen grain . The pappus usually consists of scales or stiff hairs . -- Gerald D. Carr.
, (5 ) 20 150+ cm; taprooted (rootstocks
sometimes woody, branched; stolons produced
in some taxa) . Stems usually 1, usually erect
, usually branched distally, sometimes throughout, sometimes scapiform
, see discussion) . Leaves basal, basal and cauline, or cauline; petiolate
or sessile; blades
, lanceolate, oblanceolate
, or spatulate
, or dentate
glabrous or hairy, induments often complex, see discussion) . Heads borne singly or in corymbiform
, thyrsiform, umbelliform, or nearly racemiform
arrays. Peduncles (terminal
) not inflated
, often bracteate
. Calyculi 0 or of 3 13( 16+), deltate to lanceolate or linear
(in 1 2+ series; sometimes intergrading with phyllaries) . Involucres hemispheric
, 3 9[ 12+] mm diam. Phyllaries 5 21( 40+) in 2+ series, lanceolate to linear, subequal
to unequal (reflexed
in fruit), margins usually little, if at all, scarious
, apices obtuse
to acute or acuminate. Receptacles flat, pitted
, glabrous, epaleate. Florets 6 150+; corollas usually yellow, sometimes white or ochroleucous
, sometimes tinged with cyan
or red, rarely orange (then often drying scarlet or purplish) . Cypselae usually red-brown or black (tan in H. horridum), usually ± columnar
, sometimes ± urceolate
(slightly bulbous proximally and narrower distally) or nearly fusiform
, not distinctly beaked
) usually 10, faces glabrous; pappi persistent
(fragile), of 20 80+, distinct
, white, sordid
, or rufous
, ± equal or unequal, barbellulate
in 1 2+ series. x = 9.
Species 250 1000+: North America, Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa.
Most plants referable to Hieracium are apomictic (reproducing from asexually produced seeds) . Apomictic reproduction often results in perpetuation of morphologic variants at populational and regional levels. Temptation to name such variants as species has proven irresistible to some botanists; upward of 9,000 species names have been published in Hieracium. Circumscriptions of "species" in Hieracium seem to be more artificial than in most genera of composites . Under these circumstances, I feel it would be irresponsible to recognize any infraspecific taxa here. For the most part, the "species" recognized here are those that have been recognized in local and regional floras of the past 50 or so years. Accepted names and/or changes in synomymies for some species reflect changes suggested by J. H. Beaman (1990), A. Cronquist (1980), and E. G. Voss (1972 1996, vol. 3) . I have maintained a traditional generic circumscription of Hieracium. Some other botanists exclude some species (including numbers 1 6 here) from Hieracium and treat them in Pilosella Hill , which differs from Hieracium in having stolons often produced, ribs of cypselae slightly projecting distally, and bristles of the pappi in one series. For Greenland, T. W. Böcher et al. (1968) reported 18 species of Hieracium: 16 said to be endemic to Greenland plus H. alpinum Linnaeus (known from Greenland and Eurasia ) and H. groenlandicum Arvet-Touvet (= H. vulgatum Fries; known from Greenland and continental North America) . Following H. J. Scoggan (1978 1979, part 4), I have placed 15 names of Greenland "endemics" as synonyms of other names. The type of the 16th "endemic," H. trigonophorum Oskarsson, is probably conspecific with that of H. alpinum. In my key and descriptions , "piloso-hirsute" refers to surfaces with scattered to crowded, tapered, whiplike, straight or curly, smooth to ± barbellate hairs mostly (0.5 ) 2 8( 15+) mm (sometimes called "setae") ; "stellate-pubescent" refers to surfaces with scattered to crowded, ± dendritically branched (often called, but seldom truly, "stellate") hairs mostly 0.05 0.2+ mm (such surfaces are sometimes described as "floccose") ; and "stipitate-glandular" refers to surfaces with scattered to crowded gland-tipped hairs mostly 0.2 0.8( 1.2+) mm. Surfaces of stems, leaves, peduncles, and phyllaries may be glabrous or may bear one, two, or all three of the types of hairs mentioned here; other induments are seldom encountered in hieraciums of the flora area. Given the complexity of the reproductive modes among the plants and the likelihood of misidentifications of vouchers , I have not included chromosome numbers for species. Sexual hieraciums are usually diploids (2n = 18) and the apomictic hieraciums are usually triploids (2n = 27) .
Species Hieracium aurantiacum
Plants 15-35(-60+) cm. Stems proximally piloso-hirsute (hairs 2-4+ mm), distally piloso-hirsute (hairs 1-4 mm) and stipitate-glandular . Leaves: basal 3-8+, cauline 0(-1+) ; blades spatulate to oblanceolate , 45-70(-160+) × 10-35 mm, lengths 3-5+ times widths , bases cuneate, margins entire, apices acute, faces piloso-hirsute (hairs 1-2+ mm) and stellate-pubescent. Heads 3-7(-12+) in ± umbelliform arrays. Peduncles stellate-pubescent and stipitate-glandular. Calyculi: bractlets 5-8+. Involucres campanulate , 6-8 mm. Phyllaries 13-30+, apices acuminate, abaxial faces piloso-hirsute, stellate-pubescent, and stipitate-glandular. Florets 25-120+; corollas orange (drying scarlet to purplish), 10-14+ mm. Cypselae columnar , 1.2-1.5(-2) mm; pappi of 25-30+, white bristles in 1 series, 3.5-4 mm. Flowering (May-) Jun-Aug(-Sep). [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June, July, August. • Flower Color: orange, red-orange
Size: 6-12" tall.
Disturbed sites (fields , lawns, roadsides), bogs , clays , sands; introduced ; 10-300(-1000+) m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,180 meters (0 to 10,433 feet).
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 8.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Comment: Data Providers: New Zealand Plant Name Database, Flora of Japan, Flora Malesiana, IPNI, Tropicos, Euro+Med, Flora of Tasmania Online. GCC LSID: urn :lsid:compositae.org:names:05214748-B563-43F7-BF68-1F23AC865362
Last scrutiny: 24-Aug-09
Members of the genus Hieracium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 163 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
H. acranthophorum (Tunugdliarfik Hawkweed) · H. acranthophorum var. acranthophorum (Tunugdliarfik Hawkweed) · H. acranthophorum var. isortoquense (Tunugdliarfik Hawkweed) · H. albiflorum (White Hawkweed) · H. alleghaniense (Alleghany Hawkweed) · H. alpinum (Alpine Hawkweed) · H. amitsokense (Royal Hawkweed) · H. angmagssalikense (Blackstyle Hawkweed) · H. argutum (Southern Hawkweed) · H. argutum var. argutum (Southern Hawkweed) · H. arvense (Perennial Sowthistle) · H. atramentarium (Hawkweed) · H. atratum (Polar Hawkweed) · H. aurantiacum (Orange Hawkweed) · H. bolanderi (Bolander Hawkweed) · H. caespitosum (Field Hawkweed) · H. canadense (Canada Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. canadense (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. canadense Michx. (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. divaricatum (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. divaricatum Lepage (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. fasciculatum (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. subintegrum (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. canadense var. subintegrum Lepage (Canadian Hawkweed) · H. carneum (Huachuca Hawkweed) · H. cernuiforme (Hawkweed) · H. cynoglossoides (Hounds-Tongue Hawkweed) · H. devoldii (Devold's Hawkweed) · H. dutillyanum (Hawkweed) · H. eugenii (Neria Hawkweed) · H. fassettii (Fassett's Hawkweed) · H. fassettii Lepage var. wisconsinense Lepage (pro nm.) (Wisconsin Hawkweed) · H. fassettii var. fassettii (Fassett's Hawkweed) · H. fassettii var. mendicum (Fassett's Hawkweed) · H. fassettii var. wisconsinense (Wisconsin Hawkweed) · H. fendleri (Yellow Hawksbeard) · H. fendleri var. discolor (Yellow Hawkweed) · H. fendleri var. discolor Gray (Yellow Hawkweed) · H. fendleri var. fendleri (Fendler's Hawkweed) · H. fendleri var. fendleri Sch.Bip. (Fendler Hawkweed) · H. fendleri var. mogollense (Mogollon Hawkweed) · H. fendleri var. mogollense Gray (Mogollon Hawkweed) · H. fernaldii (Fernald's Hawkweed) · H. flagellare (Hawkweed) · H. flagellare var. amauracron (Hawkweed) · H. flagellare var. cernuiforme (Hawkweed) · H. flagellare var. flagellare (Hawkweed) · H. flagellare var. glatzense (Hawkweed) · H. flagellare var. pilosius (Hawkweed) · H. flagellare Willd. (pro sp.) var. flagellare Willd. (pro sp.) (Hawkweed) · H. floribundum (Hawkweed) · H. lactucella (Lindenleaf Rosemallow) · H. fuscatrum (Hawkweed) · H. gracile (Alpine Hawkweed) · H. gracile var. alaskanum (Alaska Hawkweed) · H. gracile var. alaskanum Zahn (Alaska Hawkweed) · H. gracile var. detonsum (Low Alpine Hawkweed) · H. gracile var. gracile (Slender Hawkweed) · H. gracile var. yukonense (Yukon Hawkweed) · H. gracile var. yukonense Porsild (Yukon Hawkweed) · H. greenei (Greene's Hawkweed) · H. greenii (Maryland Hawkweed) · H. groenlandicum (Greenland Hawkweed) · H. grohii (Groh's Hawkweed) · H. gronovii (Gronovis Hawkweed) · H. horridum (Prickly Hawkweed) · H. hyparcticum (Arctic Hawkweed) · H. inuloides (Butterfly Hawkweed) · H. ivigtutense (Holsteinsborg Hawkweed) · H. kalmii (Kalm's Hawkweed) · H. kalmii var. kalmii (Kalm's Hawkweed) · H. lachenalii (Common Hawkweed) · H. lactucella (Hawkweed) · H. laevigatum (Smooth Hawkweed) · H. lanatum (Hairy Hawkweed) · H. lemmonii (Lemmon's Hawkweed) · H. lividorubens (Cow Hawkweed) · H. lividorubens var. lividorubens (Cow Hawkweed) · H. lividorubens var. pseudostylum (Cow Hawkweed) · H. lividorubens var. subnudulum (Cow Hawkweed) · H. longiberbe (Long-Bearded Hawkweed) · H. longipilum (Hairy Hawkweed) · H. maculatum (Spotted Hawkweed) · H. marianum (Hawkweed) · H. megacephalon (Coastal Plain Hawkweed) · H. lactucella (Crevice Alumroot) · H. lactucella (Showy Goldeneye) · H. murorum (Wall Hawkweed) · H. musartutense (Musartut Hawkweed) · H. nepiocratum (Lindenows Fjord Hawkweed) · H. paniculatum (Allegheny Hawkweed) · H. lactucella (Littleflower Alumroot) · H. lactucella (Littleleaf Alumroot) · H. perpropinquum (Hawkweed) · H. pilosella (Mouse-Ear Hawkweed) · H. pilosella pseudosedunense (Mouse-Ear Hawkweed) · H. pilosella var. niveum (Mouseear Hawkweed) · H. pilosella var. pilosella (Mouseear Hawkweed) · H. piloselloides (King-Devil Hawkweed) · H. pilosius (Hawkweed)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A compendium of the English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman, 1836. url p. 158.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 199.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A history of the game birds, wild-fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states: including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre Boston: Wright & Potter printing company, state printers, 1912. url p. 582, p. 582.
- A manual of weeds, with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control, by Ada E. Georgia. .. with 385 illustrations by F. Schuyler Mathews. .. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916, c1914. url p. 581.
- A manual of weeds: with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control / New York: Macmillan, 1919, c1914. url .
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 420, p. 89.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood. With sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from darwings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 63.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , , p. 553, p. 89.
- A practical handbook of trees, shrubs, vines and herbaceous perennials, by John Kirkegaard. Boston, Williams Bookstores Co., 1916. url p. 389.
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 258, p. 270.
- A supplement to F. Hamilton Davey's Flora of Cornwall / by Edgar Thurston and Chambré C. Vigurs. Truro: Oscar Blackford, Royal Printeries, 1922. url p. 33, p. 80.
- Agriculture of Maine: . .. annual report of the Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of Maine. Augusta: [State of Maine, Dept. of Agriculture, 1903-1940.] url p. 160.
- Alpine flowers and gardens, painted and described by G. Flemwell. London, A. & C. Black, 1910. url p. 165, p. 165, p. 73.
- Alpine flowers for English gardens / by W. Robinson. London: Murray, 1879. url p. 433.
- Alpine plants: a practical method for growing the rarer and more difficult alpine flowers / by W.A. Clark; with illustrations from photographs by Clarence Elliott. London: C. Scribner, 1901. url p. 108.
- Alpines and bog-plants / by Reginald Farrer. London, Arnold, 1908. url .
- Alpines and bog-plants, London, E. Arnold, 1908. url .
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 869, p. 882.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 869, p. 882.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 328, p. 334.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 622, p. 623.
- An index to the scientific contents of the Journal and Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia [1817-1910] Published in commemoration of the centenary of the academy, March 21, PhiladelphiaAcademy of Natural Sciences url p. 155.
- An introduction to the embryology of angiosperms. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1950. url p. 327, p. 341.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 183, p. 183.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 408, p. 408.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 672.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 149.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 10 1899 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 187.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 377.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url , , , p. 105, p. 204, p. 209, p. 238, p. 255, p. 44, p. 48, p. 91, p. 92.
- Annual report of the New York State College of Agriculture at Cornell University and the Agricultural Experiment Station. [Ithaca, N.Y.?], 1911-1971. (Albany, N.Y.: url p. 1209.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url , p. 82, p. 98.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 135, p. 156, p. 160, p. 198, p. 271, p. 653, p. 687.
- Annual report of the Regents / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1890-1903. url p. 22.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 175, p. 247, p. 249, p. 251, p. 421.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url , , p. 8.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 24.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 88.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 42 - 46 1973 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 11.
- Beaver/Swift/Skyles timber sale project: environmental assessment / Olney, Mont.: Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation, Stillwater Unit Office, 2009 url .
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 249.
- Bergen's botany, key and flora. Northern and central states ed. By Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 253.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 321, p. 324.
- Bog-trotting for orchids, Grace Greylock Niles, with illustrations from nature. New York, Putnam, 1904. url p. 294.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 61.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url , p. 152, p. 380, p. 410, p. 411.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 140, p. 90.
- Botany for secondary schools; a guide to the knowledge of the vegetation of the neighborhood, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Macmillan, 1920. url p. 436.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 6 1922 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 60, p. 78.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 18 1929 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 5, p. 7.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 108, p. 149, p. 250, p. 39, p. 653, p. 687.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 237.
- Bulletin / Ontario Department of Agriculture. Toronto: The Dept., [1905- url p. 22.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 34.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 11, p. 15, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 93.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 368, p. 368.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 148.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 8 1881 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url , , , p. 112, p. 12, p. 123, p. 136, p. 146, p. 170, p. 36, p. 46, p. 53, p. 552.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 34.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 369.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url .
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url , .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 414.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 594.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 89.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 335, p. 393, p. 394, p. 396.
- Coloured vade-mecum to the alpine flora... S.l.: s.n., 1914? url .
- Common and scientific names of weeds in Canada = Noms populaires et scientifiques des plantes nuisibles du Canada / Ottawa: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada = Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada, c2000. url p. 82.
- Common weeds of the Canadian Prairies; Ottawa, Queen's Printer, 1963. url p. 11, p. 18, p. 42, p. 68.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 413.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 56, p. 640.
- Compositae newsletter. Columbus, Ohio: Dept. of Botany, Ohio State University, 1975- url p. 13, p. 28, p. 29, p. 39.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url .
- Contributions to Canadian biology and fisheries. Toronto [etc.] url p. 42, p. 45.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 114.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 118, p. 683.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada; New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url .
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 683.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 60.
- Dog Meadow timber sale project environmental assessment / Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation, Stillwater Unit Office. Olney, Mont.: The Dept.,  url p. 7.
- Duck-to-dog timber sale project environmental assessment / [Olney, MT.: Stillwater Unit, Dept of Natural Resources and Conservation., 2007]. url .
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 175.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 10.
- Essentials of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1908] url , .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1279, p. 454, p. 987.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 14.
- Familiar garden flowers / London: Cassell, [1879-1887] url , .
- Far and near, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1904. url p. 202.
- Farm and garden rule-book; New York, The Macmillan company, 1911. url p. 232.
- Farm and garden rule-book; a manual of ready rules and reference with recipes, precepts, formulas, and tabular information for the use of general farmers, gardeners, fruit-growers, stockmen, dairymen, poultrymen, foresters, rur New York, Macmillan, 1919. url p. 232.
- Farm weeds of Canada / by George H. Clark and James Fletcher; with illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, 1923 url p. 178, p. 187.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Published by direction of the Hon. Sydney A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1909. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau,  url p. 178.
- Farm weeds: illustrated in colour. Ottawa: Canada Dept of Agriculture, 1951. url .
- Field book of American wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews. 1912 New York, Putnam,  url fig. 265, p. 527, p. 578.
- Field book of american wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews... with numerous reproductions of water colors and pen-and-ink studies from nature by the author. New York, G.P. Putnam, 1902. url p. 543.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for the identification of the flowering plants and ferns, by George Neville Jones. .. Notre Dame, Ind., The University Press, 1945. url p. 272.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1016, p. 1017.
- Flora of New Bedford and the shores of Buzzards Bay, with a procession of the flowers. New Bedford [Mass.]E. Anthony, 1911. url p. 110.
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 305.
- Flora of the Queen Charlotte Islands. [Ottawa: Queen's Printer], 1968-. url p. 116, p. 535, p. 536, p. 616.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 646.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , .
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 193.
- Flowers and ferns in their haunts, by Mabel Osgood Wright with illustrations from photographs by the author and J. Horace McFarland. London, The Macmillan company, 1901. url p. 456.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , , p. 302, p. 314.
- Garden planning, by W. S. Rogers; illustrated by the author. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 351.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- General index to the reports and bulletins of the experimental farms of the Dominion of Canada, 1887-1901. Ottawa, Printed by S.E. Dawson, printer to the King's Most excellent Majesty, 1902. url p. 77.
- Gleanings in bee culture. Medina, Ohio, A. I. Root Co. url p. 1040.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 569.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url , p. 144, p. 635.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , .
- Handbook of hardy herbaceous and alpine flowers. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1871. url p. 164, p. 318.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 170, p. 189.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 145.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 511, p. 533.
- Heredity and evolution in plants, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., 1920. url .
- Heredity and evolution in plants. Philadelphia, Blakiston, 1920. url p. 154.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 149.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 433.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 216.
- How to know the wild flowers: a guide to the names, haunts, and habits of our common wild flowers / by Mrs. William Starr Dana [i.e. F.T.S.D. Parsons]; illustrated by Marion Satterlee and Elsie Louise Shaw. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1913. url p. 266, p. 335.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 340, p. 758, p. 773.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, Ginn and company[c1914] url .
- Introduction to botany, containing an explanation of the theory of that science, extracted from the works of Linnaeus, ed. by C. Stewart. Edinburgh, Bell, 1811. url p. 266.
- Introduction to botany. Boston, Ginn url p. 253.
- Journal and proceedings of the Hamilton Association. [Hamilton, Ont.]: Printed for the Hamilton Association by the Spector Printing Co., -1899. url p. 71.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url , p. 156, p. 194, p. 27, p. 288, p. 289, p. 357, p. 42, p. 63, p. 67.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 299.
- Journal of genetics. Cambridge: University Press, 1910-1977. url p. 120.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 12 1911 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 284, p. 296, p. 300, p. 44.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 371, p. 63.
- Key and flora, northern and central states. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 253.
- Key and flora: northern and central states / Boston: Ginn, 1908. url .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url .
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 347.
- List of herbaceous perennials tested in the arboretum and botanic garden: central experimental farm, Ottawa, Canada, with descriptions of flowers, and other notes by W. T. Macoun. Ottawa: Government Printing Bureau, 1908. url p. 52.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 53.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , p. 123, p. 147, p. 84, p. 94.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 95.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1851. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 198.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray; assisted by specialists in certain groups; with twenty-five plates, illustrating the sedges, grasses, ferns, etc. New York: American Book Company; c1889. url p. 299.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 903, p. 904.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 646.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 347.
- Memories of the months. Fifth series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. London: E. Arnold, 1909. url p. 182.
- Mendel's principles of heredity / by W. Bateson. Cambridge: University Press, 1909. url p. 362.
- Mendel's principles of heredity, by W. Bateson. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1913. url p. 380, p. 383.
- Mendel's principles of heredity; a defence by W. Bateson. .. With a translation of Mendel's original papers on hybridisation. Cambridge, University press, 1902. url p. 100, p. 96, p. 99.
- Miscellaneous publications / University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology. Ann Arbor, Mich.: The University, 1916- url p. 14.
- Montana gray wolf conservation and management plan: draft environmental impact statement / by Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Helena, Mont.: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, 2003. url p. 275.
- Montana weed management plan / Helena, Mont.: Montana Dept. of Transportation, 2008. url .
- Nature's garden: With many color illustrations. Garden City, N. Y., : Garden City Pub. Co., [c1900] url .
- Nature's garden: an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors... / text by Neltje Blanchan. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, c1900. url p. 347.
- Nature's garden; an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors. With colored plates and many other illus. photographed directly from nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. Text by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] 1922 Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 347.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 334.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 108.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 434.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 126, p. 150, p. 179, p. 42, p. 427, p. 474.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 80.
- On the popular names of British plants, being an explanation of the origin and meaning of the names of our indigenous and most commonly cultivated species. By R. C. A. Prior. London: Williams and Norgate, 1870. url p. 98.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 163, p. 388.
- Practical floriculture, a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, Judd url p. 219.
- Practical floriculture; a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, O. Judd company, 1883. url p. 250.
- Practical guide to the wild flowers and fruits by George Lincoln Walton. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1909. url p. 109.
- Price list of chemical and bacteriological apparatus, chemicals and reagents manufactured and sold by Baird [and] Tatlock (London) Ltd. London, Baird [and] Tatlock, 1914. url p. 1067.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Association of Miramichi. Chatham, N.B.: The Association, 1899-1901. url p. 25.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 12, p. 19.
- Proceedings of the Section of Sciences. Amsterdam url p. 514, p. 517.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 26.
- Recent advances in cytology, by C. D. Darlington. With a foreword by J. B. S. Haldane. With 16 plates, 160 text-figures and 81 tables. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 453.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 106, p. 107, p. 24, p. 30, p. 52.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , p. 149, p. 178, p. 39, p. 39.
- Report on the flora of St. Andrews, N.B. / by James Fowler. Ottawa: Printed by S.E. Dawson, 1902 url p. 45.
- Reports and papers on botany. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1846-49. url p. 327.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 494, p. 60, p. 77.
- Riverby / by John Burroughs Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1895 url p. 10.
- Riverby, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1894. url p. 10.
- Riverby. BostonHoughton, Mifflin url p. 10.
- Roosevelt wild life bulletin. .. of the Roosevelt Life Forest Experiment Station of the New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, c1922- url p. 270.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 248, p. 6.
- Sensitive plant surveys in the Gallatin National Forest, Montana / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for U.S. Forest Service, Gallatin National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url p. 71.
- Shorts Meadow/Evers Creek timber sale project environmental assessment / [Olney, MT: Stillwater Unit, Dept of Natural Resources and Conservation., 2007]. url .
- Soils, their properties and management, New YorkMacmillan1920 url p. 383.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 54.
- Sport in Norway, and where to find it. Together with a short account of the vegetable productions of the country. To which is added, a list of the Alpine flora of the Dovre fjeld and of the Norwegian ferns, &c. By N. R. Barnard. .. London: Chapman and Hall, 1864. url p. 294.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 195.
- Statewide roadside vegetation management plan: integrated weed management component 2006-2011 / Helena, Mont.: Montana Dept. of Transportation, 2006. url .
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 98.
- Students' handbook to accompany Plants and their uses / by Frederick Leroy Sargent. New York: Henry Holt, 1914. url .
- Sub-alpine plants: or, Flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / by H. Stuart Thompson; with 33 coloured plates (168 figures) by George Flemwell. London: Dutton, 1912. url , , p. 185, p. 26.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / [London]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1912. url , .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 40.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalæ, being a second edition of vol. I, part II, and vol. II, part I, collected. London, Iverson, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company;1886. url .
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 100.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 100.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 244, p. 282.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1920] url p. 282, p. 282.
- That rock-garden of ours; with 50 illustrations by the author. Phil.Jacobs, [1909?] url p. 223.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 17.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 469, p. 553.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 95.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 100, p. 178, p. 245, p. 94.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 47 1933 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 182, p. 184, p. 190, p. 245, p. 421, p. 430, p. 508, p. 529, p. 536, p. 601, p. 634, p. 89, p. 91.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 489.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 283.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 202, p. 212.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1824-36. url p. 358, p. 358.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 733.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 120, p. 137, p. 146, p. 154, p. 158, p. 17, p. 191, p. 254, p. 281, p. 328, p. 339, p. 340, p. 354, p. 356, p. 367, p. 369, p. 384, p. 400, p. 416, p. 430, p. 446, p. 450, p. 5, p. 51, p. 520, p. 532, p. 651, p. 69, p. 84.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 341.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1606.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 1, p. 111, p. 12, p. 128, p. 138, p. 154, p. 164, p. 167, p. 186, p. 187, p. 20, p. 200, p. 21, p. 22, p. 220, p. 240, p. 244, p. 26, p. 264, p. 276, p. 276, p. 32, p. 352, p. 36, p. 364, p. 40, p. 412, p. 48, p. 51, p. 511, p. 55, p. 59, p. 60, p. 60, p. 76, p. 790, p. 794, p. 80, p. 80, p. 823, p. 827, p. 840, p. 96.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 46.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 374.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 184, p. 252, p. 281, p. 305, p. 39, p. 40.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 11 1871 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 315.
- The Mendel journal. London, Published for the Mendel Society by Taylor, Garnett, Evans. url p. 203.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 347, p. 85, p. 99.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 162, p. 298.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 150.
- The Philosophical transactions of the Royal society of London, from their commencement in 1665, in the year 1800. London, Printed by and for C. and R. Baldwin, 1809. url p. 201.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 195, p. 297, p. 389, p. 596, p. 81.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 127, p. 133, p. 377, p. 431.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 141, p. 156, p. 171.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 299, p. 377, p. 392.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 253.
- The Swedish nation in word and picture, together with short summaries of the contributions mades [!] by Swedes within the fields of anthropology, race-biology, genetics and eugenics; a jubilee book given out, with the cooperation of experts commissioned by the Swedish society for race-hygiene, Stockholm, Sweden, Printed by Hasse W. Tullberg co., ltd., 1921. url p. 110.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 38 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 358, p. 359, p. 364, p. 366, p. 367, p. 371, p. 572.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 244, p. 57, p. 64.
- The alpine flora / by Henry Correvon and Phillippe Robert; translated into English and enlarged, under the author's sanction, by E. W. Clayforth. London: Methuen,  url p. 141, p. 432.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 220.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 189.
- The book of the seasons; or, The calendar of nature. LondonR. Bentley1833 url p. 163.
- The botanists of Philadelphia and their work. Philadelphia[T.C. Davis]1899 url p. 219, p. 446.
- The botany of the Eastern Borders: with the popular names and uses of the plants, and of the customs and beliefs which have been associated with them / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1853. url p. 117.
- The botany of the eastern borders, with the popular names and uses of the plants, and of the customs and beliefs which have been associated with them. London, J. Van Voorst, 1853. url .
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 156, p. 165, p. 171.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url , .
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url .
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url .
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 57.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 64.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 252, p. 32.
- The flower and the bee; plant life and pollination, LondonConstable1919 url p. 282.
- The flower-fields of Alpine Switzerland: an appreciation and a plea, painted and written by G. Flemwell; With twenty-five reproductions of water-colour drawings. New York, Dodd, Mead, 1912. url , , p. 120.
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom, height and cultivation of all desirable, hardy herbaceous perennials for the formal or wild garden with additional lists of aquatics, vines, ferns, et by Mabel Cabot Sedgwick assisted by Robert Cameron with over two hundred half-tone engravings from photographs of growing plants, and a chart in colors. New York, F.A. Stokes Co.,  url .
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 508.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 257.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 14.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 558, p. 954.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 245.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 274.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 264.
- The rock garden, London, C. Scribner's sons, 1920. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3592.
- The theory of the gene, by Thomas Hunt Morgan. .. New Haven, Yale University Press;1928. url p. 165, p. 165.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 150, p. 221.
- The vascular flora of the eastern Penobscot Bay region, Maine. [Portland, Maine, 1919. url p. 303.
- The wayside flowers of summer: a study of the conspicuous herbaceous plants blooming upon our norther roadsides during the months of July and August / by Harriet L. Keeler; illustrated by Mary Keffer. New York: C. Scribner1917. url p. xxi.
- The wayside flowers of summer; a study of the conspicuous herbaceous plants blooming upon our northern roadsides during the months of July and August, by Harriet L. Keeler; illustrated by Mary Keffer. New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1917. url .
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 502, p. 712, p. 750, p. 889.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 502, p. 712, p. 750, p. 889.
- The wild garden, or the naturalization and natural grouping of hardy exotic plants with a chapter on the garden of British wild flowers. London, J. Murray, 1894. url .
- The wild garden: or, Our groves and gardens made beautiful by the naturalisation of hardy exotic plants; being one way onwards from the dark ages of flower gardening, with suggestions for the regeneration of the bare by W. Robinson; illustrated by Alfred Parsons. London: J. Murray; 1883. url p. 164.
- The writings of John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, & co.[1895- ] url .
- Three Creeks timber sale project final environmental impact statement / Kalispell, Mont.: The Dept., 2006. url , .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 103, p. 132, p. 138, p. 148, p. 193, p. 228, p. 252, p. 252, p. 32, p. 49, p. 86.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 190.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 138, p. 266, p. 297, p. 319, p. 322.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 256, p. 256.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 176, p. 181.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 7.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url p. 103, p. 220, p. 224, p. 331, p. 81.
- Vertebrate ecology and systematics: a tribute to Henry S. Fitch / edited by Richard A. Seigel. .. [et al.]. Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1984. url p. 204, p. 271.
- Wall and water gardens / by Gertrude Jekyll. [London]: "Country life", [190-?] url p. 89.
- Weeds of the North Central States. Urbana, Ill: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 219, p. 253, p. 300.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url , .
- Who's who among the wild flowers / compiled and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft; with an introd. by Frances Duncan. New York: Moffat, Yard, 1910. url p. 172, p. 351.
- Who's who among the wild flowers; comp. and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft, with an introduction by Frances Duncan. New York, Moffat, Yard and company, 1910. url p. 351.
- Wild flowers east of the Rockies / by Chester A. Reed. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1910. url p. 401.
- Wild flowers east of the Rockies. Worcester, Mass., Reed, 1910. url p. 401.
- Wild flowers every child should know: arranged according to color with reliable descriptions of the more common species of the United States and Canada / by Frederic William Stack. New York: Doubleday, Page and Company, 1909. url p. 398.
- Wild flowers of New York, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1918. url p. 282, p. 339, p. 350.
- Wild flowers of the north-eastern states: being three hundred and eight individuals common to the north-eastern United States, New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1904. url .
- Wild flowers. London: Pott, Young & Co.,  url p. 170.
- Wild flowers; New York, Macmillan Co., 1934. url , , .
- Beaman, J. H. 1990. Revision of Hieracium (Asteraceae) in Mexico and Central America. Syst. Bot. Monogr. 29: 177.
- Fernald, M. L. 1943c. Notes on Hieracium. Rhodora 45: 317325.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- NLBIF, Limnodata
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum of the North Herbarium
- Utah Valley State College
- , Utah Valley State College Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2658731
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Ast-7056
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3924291
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:215171-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 104345
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 37697
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDAST4W090
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: HIAU
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 12763
- John L. Strother "Hieracium". in Flora of North America Vol. 19, 20 and 21 Page 219, 278, 279. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Hieracium aurantiacum". in Flora of North America Vol. 19, 20 and 21 Page 279, 283. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 316.570 meters (1,038.615 feet), Standard Deviation = 339.600 based on 1,754 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]