Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Plants minute to medium-sized, gregarious
to forming open tufts, light- to yellow-green, annual
to biennial. Stems short, erect
or with a few branches, central strand present, basal rhizoids few. Leaves usually larger and more crowded distally, often comose
, reduced proximally, usually contorted when dry, spreading
when wet, broadly elliptic
, usually concave
to somewhat incurved
, entire to serrate, sometimes limbate, apex acute to acuminate, rarely somewhat blunt
, costa single, percurrent
to excurrent; distal and median
usually irregular-rhombic to hexagonal or rectangular, smooth
and rather thin-walled, often lax
, weakly chlorophyllose, proximal
cells usually longer
to rectangular, sometimes weakly inflated
at proximal angles, differentiated alar cells
absent. Specialized asexual
reproduction absent. Sexual condition autoicous
, sometimes polygamous, rarely synoicous
. Perigonia terminal
on short basal branches, bud-like, paraphyses yellowish and club-shaped. Perichaetia terminal, paraphyses usually absent and filiform
when present, perichaetial leaves often somewhat enlarged. Seta terminal, solitary, short to elongate
, erect to somewhat curved
, smooth or rarely papillose
. Capsule stegocarpous
to exserted, globose
, sometimes flaring
and nearly smooth to asymmetric
when dry, usually with a neck; exothecial cells thick- to thin-walled; stomata restricted
to neck, consisting of a slit in a rounded
guard cell, superficial or immersed, annulus present or absent, revoluble
, revoluble in fragments, or not; operculum present or absent, flat, conic-rounded, to rostrate
; peristome double
, single, rudimentary
, or absent, exostome
teeth 16, erect to incurved, papillose-striolate or striate, trabeculate
surface, endostome segments 16 and opposite the exostome teeth, cilia absent, represented only by the exostome when single. Calyptra deciduous or persistent
, mitrate to cucullate
, smooth, usually long-rostrate and inflated towards the base
. Spores spherical
or sub-reniform, strongly ornamented to smooth.
Genera ca. 13, species ca. 300 (6 genera, 29 species in the flora ) : worldwide except Antarctica.
The Funariaceae is characterized by broad leaves, large, pale laminal cells, opposite peristomes, and the distinctive stomata. The majority of species are found in disturbed or open sites on bare soil. Many of the species are annuals or biennials, and some may be perennials . When sterile , only a few species have distinctive vegetative features that allow positive identification to genus or species level. Fortunately most are usually fertile and sporophytes are common, although seasonal.
Plants small to medium-sized, gregarious
, bright green to yellowish green. Stems short, erect
except for a short basal antheridial
. Leaves larger and erect distally, reduced proximally, oblong-ovate to broadly obovate
; apex usually acute or acuminate margins
erect, entire to serrate beyond middle
; costa single, ending before the tip
to excurrent; distal and medial
large, rhombic-hexagonal to rectangular, lax
and rather thin-walled, proximal
cells oblong-rectangular, differentiated alar cells
absent. Sexual condition autoicous
; antheridial branches 1-2, basal, perigonial paraphyses clavate
with an enlarged inflated
cell; perichaetia apparently absent paraphyses. Seta elongate
, erect to strongly curved
or twisted. Capsule exserted, usually inclined
to pendent, asymmetric
and usually curved, yellow to brown, pyriform
, often sulcate
when dry and empty, annulus large and revoluble
or not differentiated, exothecial cells oblong-hexagonal to linear
, walls incrassate
especially so on inner tangential wall, stomata immersed
; peristome double
somewhat below the mouth
, teeth well developed, obliquely directed, lance-acuminate, papillose-striate, often strongly trabeculate
, frequently appendiculate
at the tips and fusing with a latticed disk, endostome segments opposite the teeth, 1/6 or more the length
of the teeth, papillose
or weakly papillose-striate with a basal membrane
and cilia absent. Operculum usually oblique
to the axis of the capsule, convex
to weakly conic, cells in obliquely radial
. Calyptra large, cucullate
, usually smooth
, and often long-rostrate. Spores spherical
, smooth or papillose to baccate-insulate.
Species ca. 200: North America, Mexico, West Indies, Central America, South America, Europe, Asia (including Indonesia), Africa, Pacific Islands, Australia.
Funaria comprises mainly small to medium seasonal mosses growing on moist mineral or peaty soils in strong light. For the most part, they are relatively short-lived pioneer species adapted to complete the life cycle by producing many spores quickly, in a cool, moist, bright (but not sunny for long periods), exposed, disturbed habitat . In North America, the best time to look for members of the family is spring before the soil dries out. The most common species can be recognized by the production of large numbers of sporophytes bearing a double peristome with inner and outer teeth opposite rather than alternate as is typical for most mosses. The teeth tend to be torqued in one direction with the tips of the exostome adhering weakly to a few-celled disk. Because the sporophyte shows more morphologic diversity than the gametophyte, it is often essential for identification. H. A. Crum and L. E. Anderson (1981) discussed the indistinct generic limits between Funaria and Entosthodon and the application of generic names .
Species Funaria hygrometrica
Plants 4-10 or more mm, with a basal antheridial
green to yellowish green; leafless proximally with leaves crowded
and bulbiform distally, sometimes laxly foliate
smaller proximally, distal leaves 2-4 mm, deeply concave
to broadly obovate
distally, acute to apiculate
entire or weakly serrulate
distally; costa subpercurrent to short-excurrent;
distal laminal cells
thin-walled and inflated
, hexagonal or oblong-hexagonal
becoming much more oblong
proximally. Seta usually (12-) 20-45(-80)
mm, slender and flexuose, usually hygroscopic
. Capsule 2-3.5
to straight, horizontal to pendent
or merely inclined
or nearly erect
, becoming sulcate
when dry below
the strongly oblique
; annulus revoluble
, operculum slightly
; peristome brown, papillose-striate proximally and papillose
distally, strongly trabeculate
, becoming appendiculate
forming a lattice by fusion of the tips
; endostome segments lanceolate
about 2/3 as long as the teeth, yellowish, finely papillose-striate.
. Spores mostly 12-21 µm,
finely papillose. [source]
Funaria hygrometrica is one of the most common, weedy, and widely distributed mosses in the world; its distribution closely parallels that of Bryum argenteum. It is widely illustrated in textbooks to demonstrate the life cycle of a typical moss, possibly because of the abundant conspicuous sporophytes produced and its frequent presence in greenhouses. However, the peristome with opposite, instead of alternate, teeth in the two peristome rows is clearly atypical among the majority of mosses. Most of the varieties that have been described probably do not merit recognition because of the morphological plasticity of the species in response to environmental conditions. [source]
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,701 meters (0 to 15,423 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- A. Braun, in Ascherson, 1860
- (Linnaeus, 1753) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Superorder: Diplolepideae ()
- Subclass: Funariidae ()
- Class: Bryopsida () - - Mosses
- Infraphylum: Bryatae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Subphylum: Musci () - (Linnaeus, 1753) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Bryophyta () - A. Braun, in Ascherson, 1860 - Mosses
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Entosthodon plagiostomus (C. Müller) Sim • Funaria androgyna Bridel • Funaria angustifolia Bridel • Funaria calvescens Schwaegrichen • Funaria campylopus Bridel • Funaria connivens C. Müller • Funaria globicarpa C. Müller • Funaria gracilescens W. P. Schimper Ex C. Müller • Funaria lonchopelma C. Müller • Funaria marginata Kindberg • Funaria megapoda C. Müller • Funaria papillata Hampe • Funaria plagiostoma C. Müller • Funaria ramificans Bridel • Funaria sphaerocarpa C. Müller • Tayloria henryae Dixon
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 19-Jul-2004
Members of the genus Funaria
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
F. americana (American Funaria Moss) · F. apiculatopilosa (Apiculate Funaria Moss) · F. arctica (Arctic Funaria Moss) · F. calvescens (Funaria Moss) · F. flavicans (Funaria Moss) · F. groutiana (Funaria Moss) · F. hygrometrica (Funaria Moss) · F. microstoma (Funaria Moss) · F. muhlenbergii (Muhlenberg's Funaria Moss) · F. polaris (Northern Funaria Moss) · F. serrata (Serrate Funaria Moss)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 146.
- A List of plants collected in the vicinity of Oquawka, Henderson County, Ills. / by Harry N. Patterson. [Oquawka]: Oquawka Spectator Print, 1874. url p. 18.
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A century of scientific thought & other essays, by Sir Betram C. A. Windle. London, Burns & Oates ltd., 1915. url p. 78.
- A compendium of general botany / by Max Westermaier; translated by Albert Schneider. New York: Wiley, 1896. url p. 128, p. 128.
- A contribution to the flora of Australia / by William Woolls. Sydney: F. White, 1867. url p. 35.
- A course of practical instruction in botany, by F. O. Bower. London, Macmillan, 1891. url p. 342, p. 346, p. 348, p. 528.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical. In two parts. Part I. Outlines of organography, anatomy, and physiology. Part II. Descriptions and illustrations of the orders. By Emm. Le Maout [and] J. Decaisne. With 5500 figures by L. Steinheil a London, Longmans, Green & Co.1873. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 119.
- A handbook of cryptogamic botany / by Alfred W. Bennett and George Murray. London; Longmans, Green, and Co., 1889. url p. 143.
- A handbook of cryptogamic botany, London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1889. url .
- A handbook of cryptogamic botany, by Alfred W. Bennett and George Murray. London, Longmans, Green, 1889. url p. 138, p. 144.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 182.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 182.
- A history of botany 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs History of botany, 1530-1860, ' by J. Reynolds Green. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1909. url p. 297.
- A history of botany, 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs "History of botany, 1530-1860". OxfordClarendon Press1909 url p. 297.
- A laboratory manual in practical botany; by Charles H. Clark. Chicago [etc.]American book company url p. 181, p. 268.
- A manual of botany. London, J. & A. Churchill.1895-96. url .
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 368.
- A manual of cryptogamic botany: adapted to the requirements of the Science and Art Department / by Charlotte M. W. Ross. London: Ross, 1894. url p. 50.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L.H. Pammel. Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Torch Press, 1910-1911. url p. 311.
- A manual of the mosses of western Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, Pa., The Author, Press of the City Mission Publishing Company, 1913. url .
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 110, p. 111.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url , .
- A student's text-book of botany. London, Sonnenschein, 1894. url p. 328, p. 329, p. 369, p. 370, p. 99.
- A study of the vegetation of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho. .. Lincoln, Neb. url p. 94, p. 98.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url , .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 55.
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 97.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 438.
- A textbook of elementary biology. London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1889. url p. 108, p. 39.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 225, p. 227, p. 231, p. 232, p. 233, p. 234, p. 235, p. 561.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 116, p. 127, p. 227, p. 33, p. 409, p. 44, p. 62, p. 65.
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 273, p. 408.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 273, p. 408.
- An elementary text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. .. London: S. Sonnenschein & co., lim.;1898. url p. 310, p. 314, p. 344.
- An elementary text-book of the microscope; including a description of the methods of preparing and mounting objects, etc. By J. W. Griffith, with twelve coloured plates, containing 451 figures. London, John Von Voorst, 1864. url .
- An introduction to cytology, by Lester W. Sharp. .. New York [etc.]McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1921. url p. 357.
- An introduction to modern genetics, by C.H. Waddington. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1939. url p. 170, p. 276, p. 277, p. 278, p. 54, p. 66, p. 67.
- An introduction to structural botany. London, Black, 1920, '07. url , p. 126, p. 132.
- An introduction to the structure and reproduction of plants, by F. E. Fritch and E. J. Salisbury. London, G. Bell and sons ltd., 1920. url p. 285.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 288, p. 387, p. 411, p. 45, p. 49.
- Analytic keys to the genera and species of North American mosses by Charles Reid Barnes; revised and extended by Fred DeForest Heald with the collaboration of the author. Madison, Wis.: University of Wisconsin, 1896. url .
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 1910-1918 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 732.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 316, p. 665.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 8 1897 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 182, p. 185.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 51.
- Anzeiger der Kaiserlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Classe. Wien: Der Akademie, 1864-1914. url p. 17.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for those engaged in the morphological and physiolo by Henry Kraemer, illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;[c1916] url p. 85.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 85.
- Aquatic Phycomycetes. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press url p. 1093, p. 161.
- Archives of science and transactions of the Orleans County Society of Natural Sciences. Newport, Vt.: J.M. Currier, [1870-1874] url p. 115.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Biology; the story of living things [by] George William Hunter...Herbert Eugene Walter...[and] George William Hunter, III... New York, American book company[c1937] url p. 175.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 138, p. 160, p. 280, p. 309, p. 66.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 180.
- Botany for high schhools / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: H. Holt, 1912. url p. 350, p. 351, p. 533.
- Botany for high schools and colleges / by Charles E. Bessey. New York: H. Holt, 1883, c1880. url p. 356, p. 48.
- Botany for high schools, by George Francis Atkinson. New York: H. Holt and Company, 1910. url p. 320, p. 321, p. 484.
- Botany of the living plant, London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1919. url , .
- Botany of the living plant, by F. O. Bower. London, Macmillan and Co., limited, 1919. url p. 360, p. 360.
- Botany of the living plant, by F.O. Bower. In the third edition he was assisted by J.M.F. Drummond, and George Bond, in this fourth edition by C.W. Wardlaw. London, Macmillan and Co., ltd., 1947. url p. 467.
- Botany of the living plant. London, Macmillan, 1919. url p. 355, p. 360.
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 48.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 12.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 10, p. 165, p. 248.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 141, p. 203.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url p. 53.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1907 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 105, p. 137, p. 223.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 57.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 157.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 120, p. 195, p. 363.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1874 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 10, p. 109, p. 176, p. 218, p. 250, p. 275, p. 318, p. 356, p. 36, p. 401, p. 403, p. 413, p. 416, p. 484, p. 570, p. 658, p. 665, p. 708, p. 74, p. 89.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 74.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 247.
- Bulletin of the University of Wisconsin. Madison, Wis.: The University, 1894-1917. url p. 210.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 157.
- California plants in their homes; a botanical reader for children [with supplement] Illustrated by Alice C. Cooper and Mary E. Lewis. Los Angeles, Cal., B. R. Baumgardt & co.1898. url p. 45.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 15, p. 56, p. 93.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 332.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 103, p. 103.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 152, p. 844.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 152, p. 844.
- Catalogue of the African plants collected by Dr. Friedrich Welwitsch in 1853-61. .. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url p. 285.
- Catalogue of the Bryophyta (hepatics, anthocerotes and mosses) and Pteridophyta (ferns and fern-allies) found in Pennsylvania. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1904. url .
- Catalogue of the flora of Oak Island, Revere, Massachusetts. With notes. Salem [Mass.]Peabody Academy of Science, 1883. url p. 19.
- College botany: including organography, vegetable histology, vegetable physiology and vegetable taxonomy: with a brief account of the succession of plants in geologic time, and a glossary of botanical terms / by Edson S. Bastin. Chicago: G.P. Engelhard, 1890, c1889. url p. 260, p. 338, p. 445.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , .
- Contributions from the Herbarium of Columbia College. New York: Columbia College, 1886-1896. url p. 327.
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 457, p. 467, p. 471, p. 478.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 401, p. 570, p. 74.
- Contributions from the Osborn Botanical Laboratory. [New Haven?]Osborn Botanical Laboratory, Yale University, url p. 50.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 50 2004 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 123, p. 127, p. 229, p. 271, p. 286, p. 301, p. 366, p. 409, p. 49, p. 511, p. 89.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 10 1973 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 133, p. 135, p. 136, p. 137, p. 138, p. 182, p. 30, p. 372, p. 382, p. 386, p. 390, p. 392, p. 70, p. xi.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 18.
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 72.
- Contributions to the flora of Venezuela / Julian A. Steyermark and collaborators. 28 1957 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1957. url p. 704.
- Elementary biology, an introduction to the science of life. Boston, Ginn url p. 293.
- Elementary biology; an introduction to the science of life, by Benjamin C. Gruenberg... BostonGinn and company[c1924] url p. 293.
- Elementary notes on conifers. LondonOxford University Press1920 url p. 3, p. 3.
- Elements of botany / by J. Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1896. url p. 238.
- Elements of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1896] url , .
- Embryogenesis in plants. London, Methuen; url p. 11, p. 370, p. 9.
- Epping Forest / by Edward North Buxton. London: E. Stanford, 1885. url p. 135, p. 136.
- Essentials of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1908] url .
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 220, p. 6.
- European and N. American Bryineae (mosses). Linko?ping, Linko?pings Lithografiska Aktiebolag, 1897. url .
- Experimental morphology, by Charles Benedict Davenport. London, The Macmillan company, 1897-99. url p. 234.
- Farlowia: a journal of cryptogamic botany. Cambridge, Mass., 1943-1955. url , p. 169, p. 224.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 101.
- Ferns in their homes and ours / by John Robinson. Boston: Whidden, 1894, c1878. url p. 59.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 66.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 441.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 441.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 223, p. 390.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, by L. L. Dame and F. S. Collins. Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url p. 143.
- Flora of Mount Desert Island, Maine: a preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands / by Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield; with a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert Island. Cambridge, Mass.: J. Wilson, 1894. url p. 206.
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 120.
- Flora of the Miami Valley, Ohio /c by A.P. Morgan. Dayton, Ohio: Literary Union, 1878. url p. 54.
- Flore de Buitenzorg, Leide, E. J. Brill, 1898-1922. url .
- Flowerless plants: how and where they grow, London, Cassell and Co., Ltd., 1913. url .
- Fossil plants: for students of botany and geology / Cambridge: University Press, 1898-1919. url .
- Freaks and marvels of plant life; or, Curiosities of vegetation. London, Soc. for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1882. url p. 462.
- Fundamentals of cytology, by Lester W. Sharp. .. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company, inc., 1943. url p. 230.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 16, p. 17, p. 18, p. 18, p. 23, p. 23, p. 24, p. 28, p. 53, p. 62, p. 64, p. 68, p. 78.
- Gray's Botanical text-book. New York: American Book Company, c1879. url p. 399, p. 441.
- Half-hours in the green lanes: a book for a country stroll / by J. E. Taylor. London: W. H. Allen & Company, 1898. url p. 295.
- Handbook of British mosses comprising all that are known to be natives of the British Isles / by M.J. Berkeley. London: L. Reeve, 1863. url , , p. 24, p. 35.
- Handbook of British mosses: comprising all that are known to be natives of the British Isles / byM.J. Berkeley. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1895. url p. 24, p. 35, p. 384.
- Handbook of British mosses; comprising all that are known to be natives of the British Isles. London, L. Reeve, 1863. url , .
- Handbook of mosses, with an account of their structure, classification, geographical distribution, and habitats, by James E. Bagnall. London, S. Sonnenschein, 1886. url , , p. 17, p. 46, p. 47, p. 72, p. 93, p. 94.
- Handbook of nature study, for teachers and pupils in elementary schools. By D. Lange. .. London: The Macmillan co., 1898. url p. 245, p. 325.
- Handbook of plant morphology, being the Handbook of plant dissection, by J.C.Arthur, Charles R.Barnes and John M.Coulter, rev. and rewritten. New York, Holt, 1904. url p. 188, p. 99.
- Handbook of plant morphology; being the Handbook of plant dissection by J. C. Arthur, Charles R. Barnes and John M. Coulter revised and rewritten by Otis W. Caldwell. New York: H. Holt and Company, 1904. url , p. 99.
- Handbook of practical botany for the botanical laboratory and private student / by E. Strasburger; translated and edited from the German with many additional notes by W. Hillhouse. London: Macmillan, 1900. url , , p. 348, p. 353, p. 498, p. 500, p. 505, p. 52.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 144, p. 153, p. 192, p. 192, p. 216, p. 216, p. 24, p. 243, p. 249, p. 48, p. 54, p. 71, p. 96, p. 97.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 273, p. 408.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 273, p. 408.
- How to know the mosses; a popular guide to the mosses of the northeastern United States; containing keys to eighty genera and short descriptions of over one hundred and fifty species, with special reference to the distinguis by Elizabeth Marie Dunham, with illustrations by the author. Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1916. url , p. 123, p. 124.
- Human physiology / by Luigi Luciani; translated by Frances A. Welby; with a preface by J. N. Langley London: Macmillan and co., 1911-1921 url p. 59.
- Human physiology; tr. by Frances A. Welby, ed. by M. Camis [and others], with a preface by J.N. Langley. London, MacMillan, 1911-1921. url p. 59.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 256, p. 377, p. 389, p. 539.
- Introduction to cytology, by Lester W. Sharp. .. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company, inc., 1934. url p. 343, p. 371, p. 418.
- Introduction to genetics and cytogenetics. New York, J. Wiley url p. 542, p. 584.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 663.
- Journal of Indian botany. Madras: Methodist Pub. House, 1919-1923. url p. 356.
- Journal of applied microscopy and laboratory methods. Rochester, N.Y.: Publication Dept., Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., [1901-1903] url p. 1992.
- Journal of applied microscopy. Rochester, N.Y.: Publication Dept., Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., [1898-1900] url p. 639, p. 640.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 20 1919 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 106, p. 167, p. 236.
- Journal of the New-York Microscopical Society. New York: The Society, 1885- url p. 18.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , , , , , , p. 322, p. 439, p. 459, p. 461, p. 489, p. 492, p. 55, p. 580, p. 628, p. 651, p. 656, p. 680, p. 748, p. 773, p. 795, p. 803, p. 828, p. 837.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 169.
- Lectures on biology, by Dr. Curt Thesing, tr. from the 2d ed. by W. R. Boelter with the original coloured and other illustrations. London, J. Bale, sons & Danielsson, ltd., 1911. url p. 200.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1887. url , , .
- Lessons in elementary biology / by T. Jeffery Parker. .. with eighty-eight illustrations. London; Macmillan, 1893. url p. 333.
- Lessons in elementary biology, by T. Jeffery Parker. .. With one hundred and twenty-seven illustrations. London, Macmillan and Co., Limited, 1920. url p. 401.
- Lessons in elementary biology, with eighty-eight illustrations. London, Macmillan, 1893. url p. 329.
- Lessons in elementary biology. LondonMacmillan1914 url p. 401.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 909.
- Manual of the mosses of North America. By Léo Lesquereux and Thomas P. James. With six plates illustrating the genera. Boston, S. E. Cassino and company, 1884. url , p. 202.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 410, p. 433.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 20, p. 20.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 195.
- Methods in plant histology, by Charles J. Chamberlain. Chicago, University of Chicago Press[1933, c1932] url p. 288, p. 289, p. 291, p. 382.
- Methods in plant histology; by Charles J. Chamberlain. .. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press[c1915] url p. 218, p. 219, p. 293.
- Microscopic objects figured and described. London, J.Van Voorst, 1870. url , p. 41.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 280.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , p. 117, p. 42, p. 42, p. 592, p. 626, p. 626.
- Mosses and lichens: a popular guide to the identification and study of our commoner mosses and lichens, their uses, and methods of preserving / by Nina L. Marshall; plates. .. from photographs by J.A. & H.C. Anderson. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1920. url , , p. 210, p. 31, p. 37, p. 38, p. 49, p. 50, p. 51, p. 53, p. 64.
- Mosses and lichens; a popular guide to the identification and study of our commoner mosses and lichens, their uses, and methods of preserving, by Nina L. Marshall. .. Sixteen plates in colour, thirty-two in black and white, from photographs by Hannah C. Anderson; and many text illustrations. New York, Doubleday, Page, 1907. url , p. 210, p. 211, p. 31, p. 37, p. 49, p. 50, p. 53, p. 57, p. 64, p. 71, p. 72.
- Mosses and liverworts; an introduction to their study, with hints as to their collection and preservation. With illustrations from original microscopical drawings. London: S. Low, 1910. url p. 189, p. 191, p. 20, p. 52, p. 57.
- Mosses of Alaska. n.p., n.d. url p. 273.
- Mosses of Guatemala / Edwin B. Bartram. 25 1949 [Chicago]Chicago National History Museum,  url figure 68 , p. 149, p. 150.
- Mosses with a hand-lens. a non-technical handbook of the more common and more easily recognized mosses of the northeastern United States, by A. J. Grout. New York, The author and The O. T. Louis company url p. 202, p. 89.
- Mosses with a hand-lens; a non-technical handbook of the more common and more easily recognized mosses of the north-eastern United States, New York, The Author and The O. T. Louis Company url , .
- Mosses with hand-lens and microscope: a non-technical hand-book of the more common mosses of the northeastern United States / by A.J. Grout. New York: A. Grout, c1903. url p. 16, p. 194, p. 26.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url , .
- Mycological writings of C. G. Lloyd. Cincinnati, O., -1929. url p. 286.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 381.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 195, p. 284, p. 318.
- Objects for the microscope; a popular description of the most instructive and beautiful subjects for exhibition or examination. Lond., Groombridge, 1889. url p. 35.
- Occasional papers of the Farlow Herbarium of Cryptogamic Botany. 16 1981 Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University, Farlow Herbarium of Cryptogamic Botany. url p. 21.
- On molecular and microscopic science by Mary Somerville. London: J. Murray, 1869 url , p. 278, p. 324, p. 327.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 91.
- One thousand objects for the microscope / by M.C. Cooke; with five hundred figures. London: Frederick Warne;  url p. 59.
- Organography of plants, especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta, by Dr. K. Goebel. .. authorized English ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-05. url p. 147, p. 171, p. 234, p. 262.
- Outlines of classification and special morphology of plants, by K. Goebel. A new ed. of Sachs' Text-book of botany, book II, authorized English translation by Henry E. F. Garnsey; rev. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. With 407 woodcuts. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 172, p. 173, p. 173, p. 174, p. 178, p. 178, p. 186, p. 500, p. 500.
- Pflanzenphysiologie; Versuche und Beobachtungen an böheren und niederen Pflanzen einschliesslich Bakteriologie und Hydrobiologie mit Planktonkunde, von R. Kolkwitz. Zwiete, umgearbeitete Auflage. .. Jena, G. Fischer, 1922. url p. 253, p. 277, p. 294, p. 90.
- Physiological botany; I. Outlines of the histology of phaenogamous plants; II. Vegetable physiology. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, [c1885] url p. 399.
- Physiological genetics, by Richard Goldschmidt. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company inc., 1938. url p. 358.
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 403, p. 469.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 314.
- Plant geography, by George S. Boulger, F. L. S. London, J. M. Dent & Son, 1912. url p. 59.
- Plant indicators: the relation of plant communities to process and practice. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1920 url p. 15, p. 93.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 291.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url , .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 301.
- Plant morphogenesis. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 467, p. 516.
- Plant morphology. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1953. url p. 200, p. 203.
- Plant-life on land considered in some of its biological aspects / by F. O. Bower. Cambridge, [Eng.]University Press,  url p. 114.
- Plant-life, by Charles A. Hall, with 74 full-page illus., 24 being from photos. by the author and 50 in colour from drawings by C. F. Newall. London, A. & C. Black, 1915. url , , .
- Plant-life, by Charles A. Hall. .. with 74 full-page illustrations, 24 being from photographs by the author and 50 in colour from drawings by C. F. Newall. London: A. & C. Black, ltd., 1915. url , p. 140, p. 370.
- Plant-life, ill. by the author and C.F. Newall. London, Black, 1915. url p. 133, p. 137, p. 140, p. 370.
- Plant-life, with 74 full-page illus., 24 being from photos, by the author and 50 in colour from drawings London, A. & C. Black, 1915. url , , , .
- Plants and their uses; an introduction to botany, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1913. url .
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 115, p. 115.
- Pollen and spore morphology/plant taxonomy; gymnospermae, pteriodophyta, bryophyta (Illustrations) Stockholm, Almqvist & Wiksell; url .
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 525, p. 525.
- Practical botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen and Otis W. Caldwell. Boston: Ginn, c1911. url p. 265.
- Practical botany by Joseph Bergen and Otis W. Caldwell. Boston: Ginn, c1911. url p. 265.
- Practical botany for beginners. London, 1894. url p. 183.
- Practical botany, Boston, Ginn and company[c1911] url .
- Practical botany, by F. Cavers. .. London, W.B. Clive, University Tutorial Press Ld, 1911. url , p. 328.
- Practical plant biology; a course of elementary lectures on the general morphology and physiology of plants, by Henry H. Dixon. with ninety-four illustrations. London, New York [etc.]Longmans, Green and co., 1922. url p. 135, p. 138, p. 140, p. 141, p. 273, p. 283.
- Practical plant physiology: an introduction to original research for students and teachers of natural science, medicine, agriculture and forestry / by W. Detmer; translated from the 2nd German edition by S.A. Moor. London: Macmillan, 1898. url p. 17, p. 20, p. 432, p. 46.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 11, p. 70.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 113, p. 113.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 77.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 104, p. 179, p. 179, p. 193, p. 193, p. 194, p. 194, p. 236.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 226, p. 361, p. 475.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url .
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 23.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 313, p. 566.
- Rambles in search of flowerless plants. By Margaret Plues. London, Journal of horticulture & cottage gardener office; [etc., etc.]1864. url p. 96.
- Recent advances in cytology, by C. D. Darlington. With a foreword by J. B. S. Haldane. With 16 plates, 160 text-figures and 81 tables. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 195, p. 216, p. 217, p. 223.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 524.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 219.
- Report of the Second Norwegian Arctic expedition in the "Fram" 1898-1902. .. Kristiania, In commission by T. O. Brøgger, 1907-1919. url , , , , , .
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url p. 10.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 404.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 275, p. 79.
- Report upon United States Geographical surveys west of the one hundredth meridian, Washington, Govt. print. off., 1875-89. url .
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 112, p. 87.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 1061, p. 117, p. 42, p. 592, p. 626, p. 759.
- Science progress. London: Scientific Press, [1894-1898] url p. 330.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 101.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 27, p. 481, p. 868, p. 983.
- Seemann, B. Flora vitiensis: a description of the plants of the Viti or Fiji islands, with an account of their history, uses, and properties /By Berthold Seemann;. .. plates by Walter Fitch. 2 1865-1873 London: L. Reeve, 1865-73. url p. 442.
- Some account of the fauna and flora of Sinai, Petra, and Wa?dy 'Arabah, London, Pub. for the Committee of the Palestine exploration fund by A. P. Watt, 1891. url , .
- South African journal of science. [Marshalltown, Transvaal: South African Association for the Advancement of Science, url p. 318, p. 397.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 51.
- Spicilegium florae Maroccanae / by John Ball. London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1878. url p. 738, p. 752.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 476, p. 477, p. 481, p. 496.
- Studies in the bryology of New Zealand, with special reference to the herbarium of Robert Brown. Edited and published under the authority of the Board of Governors of the [New Zealand] Institute. Wellington[Royal Society of New Zealand][1913-29] url p. 192, p. 195.
- Studies on the plant cell. pt.1-8. Boston, Ginn and Co., 1904-1905 url , p. 569.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 136, p. 204, p. 68, p. 8, p. 89.
- Systematic lists illustrative of the Flora, Fauna, Palaeontology, and Archaeology of the North of Ireland / Belfast: Printed for the Club, 1870-1906. url p. 53.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 323, p. 365, p. 393, p. 427.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 367, p. 373, p. 374, p. 381, p. 382, p. 383, p. 384, p. 47, p. 915, p. 97.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 367, p. 368, p. 369, p. 370, p. 383, p. 915.
- Textbook of botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & co.[c1917] url .
- Textbook of botany, by Charles E. Allen and Edward M. Gilbert. Boston, D.C. Heath & co., [c1917] url p. 454, p. 86, p. 87.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1056.
- The American monthly microscopical journal. New York: Romyn Hitchcock, 1880-1902. url , p. 117, p. 117.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 56.
- The Bahama flora, New York, The Authors, 1920. url .
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, The authors, 1920. url p. 489, p. 489, p. 489, p. 489.
- The British moss-flora. London, 1887-1905. url , , , , p. 130, p. 135, p. 136, p. 137.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 455.
- The Bryologist. St. Louis, Mo. [etc.]American Bryological and Lichenological Society. url p. 54.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 137, p. 143, p. 197, p. 232, p. 287, p. 422, p. 493, p. 499.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 656.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 19.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 196, p. 263, p. 440, p. 782.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 48 1988 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 397.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 144, p. 210, p. 92, p. 99.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 13 1873 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 203, p. 209, p. 212, p. 213, p. 216, p. 219, p. 233, p. 247, p. 250, p. 250, p. 251, p. 269, p. 356, p. 423, p. 457, p. 479, p. 56, p. 596, p. 738, p. 752.
- The Journal of the Postal Microscopical Society. [London: W.P. Collins, 1882-1883]. url .
- The Journal of the Quekett Microscopical Club. [London: Quekett Microscopical Club, 1868]-1966. url p. 134, p. 180, p. 187, p. 280, p. 477, p. 55, p. 648.
- The Microscope. Ann Arbor: [s.n., 1881-1897] url p. 242, p. 348.
- The Mountaineer. Seattle, The Mountaineers, 1907-1921. url p. 131.
- The Natural history of Juan Fernandez and Easter Island / edited by Carl Skottsberg. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1920-1956. url , , , p. 948.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 153.
- The Naturalist. 1899 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 120, p. 214, p. 255, p. 286, p. 62.
- The Nature-study review: devoted to all phases of nature-study in elementary schools. Lancaster, Pa.: [M.A. Bigelow], 1905- url p. 206.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 158.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 42.
- The Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1877- url p. 161.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 212.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 158.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1955 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 131, p. 30, p. 301, p. 441, p. 456, p. 52.
- The Victoria history of the county of Nottingham / edited by William Page. London: Constable, 1906- url p. 64.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 139, p. 142, p. 150.
- The biological problem of today: preformation or epigenesis? The basis of a theory of organic development, by Professor Dr. Oscar Hertwig. Authorized translation by P. Chalmers Mitchell, M. A. With an introduction by the translator and a glossary of the technical terms. New York, The Macmillan co. url p. 46.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 104.
- The botany of Iceland, edited by L. Kolderup Rosenvinge and Eug. Warming. Copenhagen, J. Frimodt, 1912- url p. 468, p. 500, p. 563, p. 632.
- The bryophytes of Connecticut / by Alexander William Evans and George Elwood Nichols. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1908. url p. 117.
- The bryophytes of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1908. url .
- The bryophytes of Illinois: an annotated and indexed bibliography and checklist / Bill N. McKnight. Urbana, Ill.: State of Illinois, Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, Natural History Survey Division,  url p. 15, p. 21, p. 7.
- The cell; outlines of general anatomy and physiology, by Dr. Oscar Hertwig. .. Tr. by M. Campbell, and ed. by Henry Johnstone Campbell. .. With 168 illustrations. London: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 331, p. 331.
- The cryptogamic flora of Ottawa by John Macoun. S.l.: s.n., 1898? url .
- The cryptogamic flora of Ottawa, Ottawa, 1898? url .
- The evolution of plant life, lower forms. London, Methuen & Co., 1891. url .
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 342.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of southwestern Colorado / by T.S. Brandegee. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories, 1876. url p. 247.
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 182.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 224.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 373.
- The international bibliography of electron microscopy. New York[1959-1962] url p. 136.
- The microbiology of the atmosphere. London, L. Hill;1961. url p. 140, p. 151, p. 210.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url p. 512.
- The microscope and its revelations / London: J. & A. Churchill, 1875. url p. 400.
- The microscope and its revelations, by the late William B. Carpenter. .. Philadelphia, P. Blackiston's Sons and Co., 1901. url p. 1153.
- The microscope and its revelations. New York, W. Wood, 1883. url p. 339.
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown. .. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1866-68. url , , .
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url p. 110.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 949.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 153.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 120, p. 121, p. 123, p. 125, p. 231, p. 243, p. 243, p. 244, p. 302, p. 322.
- The nature-study review Ithica, N.Y.: Comstock Pub. Co., 1905-1923 url p. 206, p. 207.
- The origin of a land flora: a theory based upon the facts of alternation / by F. O. Bower. With numerous illustrations. London: Macmillan, 1908. url p. 205.
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url p. 248.
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 231, p. 250.
- The psychic life of micro-organisms: a study in experimental psychology / by Alfred Binet. Chicago: Open Court Pub. Co., 1897, c1888. url p. 90.
- The science of life; or the animal and vegetable biology. Cincinnati, Phillips & Hunt;1880. url p. 118.
- The structure & development of the mosses and ferns (Archegoniatae) London, Macmillan, 1895. url p. 182, p. 188, p. 203.
- The structure and development of mosses and ferns (Archegoniatae) / by Douglas Houghton Campbell. New York: Macmillan, 1928 [c1905] url p. 189, p. 190, p. 196, p. 198, p. 204, p. 205, p. 648.
- The student's handbook of British mosses. Eastbourne, [Eng.]V. T. Sumfield, 1896. url , .
- The theory of the gene, by Thomas Hunt Morgan. .. New Haven, Yale University Press;1928. url p. 327, p. 316.
- The tree book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation / Garden City: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url , p. 211, p. 212, p. 213, p. 214, p. 37, p. 38, p. 48, p. 49, p. 50, p. 53, p. 57, p. 71, p. 72.
- The woodlands / by M.C. Cooke. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1880. url p. 96.
- The woodlands. LondonSociety for Promoting Christian Knowledge1880 url p. 96.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url , p. 110, p. 111, p. 111, p. 12, p. 135, p. 16, p. 164, p. 166, p. 192, p. 203, p. 22, p. 224, p. 260, p. 278, p. 47, p. 65.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 366.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 73.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 142, p. 261, p. 418.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 47.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url .
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 283.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 116, p. 158, p. 159, p. 162, p. 174, p. 188.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 94, p. 98.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1913. url p. 167.
- Watson, S. Botany /by Sereno Watson, aided by Daniel C. Eaton, and others. 5 1871 Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1871. url p. 404.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 108, p. 147.
- Crum, H. A. and L. E. Anderson. 1955. Taxonomic studies in the Funariaceae. Bryologist 58: 1-15.
- Fife, A. J. 1985. A generic revision of the Funariaceae (Bryophyta: Musci). Part 1. J. Hattori Bot. Lab. 58: 149-196.
- Bartram, E. B. 1928. Studies in Funaria from southwestern United States. Bryologist 31: 89-96
- Fife, A. J. 1979. Taxonomic observations on three species of North American Funaria. Bryologist 82: 204-214.
- Ireland, R. R. 1971c. Funaria. In: E. Lawton. 1971. Moss Flora of the Pacific Northwest. Nichinan. Pp. 152-154.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
- "Funaria hygrometrica". in Flora of North America Vol. 27 Page 15, 25, 189, 190, 191. Published by Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 27, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 18 providers.
- MOST: Moss TROPICOS Database. Release date: July 19, 2004
- Moss TROPICOS: the World Checklist of Mosses
- Moss TROPICOS DatabaseJul 1, 2004.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- USDA, NRCS. 2005. The PLANTS Database, Version 3.5 (http://plants.usda.gov). National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490 USA.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 27, 2008:
- Australian Antarctic Data Centre: Australian Antarctic Division Herbarium
- Australian National Herbarium (CANB)
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem: GEO Biodiversity Day
- British Antarctic Survey: ANTARCTIC PLANT DATABASE
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad: Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México (IE-XAL)
- GBIF-Spain: Real Jardin Botanico, Madrid: MA-Musci
- GBIF-Spain: Universidad de Murcia, Dpto. Biología Vegetal (Botánica), Murcia: MUB-MUSCI
- GBIF-Sweden: Herbarium of Oskarshamn (OHN)
- GBIF-Sweden: Mosses (S)
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus: The AAU Herbarium Database
- Icelandic Institute of Natural History: Herbarium (AMNH)
- Icelandic Institute of Natural History: Herbarium (ICEL)
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad (Costa Rica): Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales: Plants of Papua New Guinea
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo: Bryophyte herbarium, Oslo (O)
- The New York Botanical Garden: American Bryophyte Catalog
- UK National Biodiversity Network: British Bryological Society - Bryophyte data for Great Britain from the British Bryological Society held by BRC
- UK National Biodiversity Network: British Bryological Society - Bryophyte data for Great Britain held by BRC for compilation
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: MEXU/Colección de Briofitas
- University Museums of Norway (MUSIT)
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3872435
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: MOS-35145457
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 1428686
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 15818
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: FUHYU
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 39971
- Terry T. McIntosh "Funariaceae". in Flora of North America Vol. 27 Page 180, 195, 199. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Donna H. Miller, Harvey A. Miller "Funaria". in Flora of North America Vol. 27 Page 10, 11, 12, 13, 181, 188, 189, 192, 193, 203. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 254.850 meters (836.122 feet), Standard Deviation = 469.100 based on 66,308 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]