Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
American Strawberry-Bush, Bursting-Heart, Heart's-A-Bustin', Hearts-Bustin´-With-Love, Strawberry-Bush
Common Names in German:
The Celastraceae are trees and shrubs comprising about 50 genera and 800 species that are sometimes climbing or vining. The leaves are simple and alternate or opposite; stipules are small and caducous or absent. The flowers are bisexual or sometimes functionally unisexual , actinomorphic , and are small and often greenish. The calyx comprises 4 or 5 usually basally connate sepals. The corolla is rarely absent or more commonly consists of 4 or 5 distinct petals. The androecium consists of 4 or 5 or rarely 10 distinct stamens that alternate with the petals. The gynoecium is a single compound pistil of 2-5 carpels, a single short style, and a superior or rarely half inferior ovary with 2-5 locules, each containing usually 2 axile ovules. An annular nectary disk surrounds and is usually adnate to the ovary. The fruit is a capsule, berry, samara, or drupe. -- Gerald Carr.
, the latter sometimes scandent
. Leaves oppsite; stipules caducous
. Flowers bisexual
, 4-5-merous. Calyx flat or recurved. Disc broad, fleshy
, 4-5-lobed. Petals 4-5, rounded
, often with coloured veins. Stamens 4-5, inserted
on the disc. Ovary sunken
in the disc; style short. Fruit a capsule, 3-5-lobed, angled
, rarely echinate
, dehiscence loculicidal. Seeds 1-3 in each cell
, enclosed in a fleshy aril.
A large subcosmopolitan genus of c. 176 species in the Himalayas in Pakistan and India, China, Japan, Malayasia, Europe and N. America. Represented in Pakistan by 5 species, of these E. japonicus is cultivated.
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: March, April, May. • Flower Color: chartreuse, inconspicuous, none, pale yellow, yellow-green
Size: 24-36" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,279 meters (0 to 4,196 feet).
Culture: Space 15-18" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 6.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Light Shade.
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Celastranae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 04-May-2001
Members of the genus Euonymus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 119 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
E. alata (Burning Bush) · E. alata 'Chicago Fire' (Burning Bush) · E. alata 'Compacta' (Cork Bush) · E. alata 'Fire Ball' (Cork Bush) · E. alata 'Monstrosus' (Burning Bush) · E. alata 'Rudy Haag' (Burning Bush) · E. alatus (Winged Euonymus) · E. alatus var. apterus (Winged Euonymus) · E. alatus 'Compacta' (Burning Bush) · E. alatus 'Compactus' (Dwarf Burning Bush) · E. alatus 'Odom' (Little Moses® Burning Bush) · E. alatus 'Pipzam' (Pipsqueak Burning Bush) · E. alatus 'Rudy Haag' (Rudy Haag Burning Bush) · E. alatus 'Select' (Fireball Burning Bush) · E. alatus 'Timber Creek' (Chicago Fire Burning Bush) · E. americana (Brook Euonymus) · E. americanus (American Strawberry-Bush) · E. aptera (Corky Spindletree) · E. atropurpurea (Eastern Wahoo) · E. atropurpurea var. atropurpurea (Eastern Wahoo) · E. atropurpurea var. cheatumii (Eastern Wahoo) · E. atropurpureus (Burning Bush) · E. atropurpureus atropurpureus (Eastern Burningbush) · E. atropurpureus var. cheatumii (Eastern Wahoo) · E. bungeana (Winterberry Euonymus) · E. bungeana 'North Platte' (Winterberry Euonymus) · E. bungeana 'Pink Lady' (Winterberry Euonymus) · E. bungeanum (Winterberry) · E. bungeanus (Winterberry Euonymus) · E. carnosus (Fleshy-Flowered Spindletree) · E. clivicolus (Sail-Fin Molly) · E. europaea (European Euonymus) · E. europaea 'Aldenhamensis' (European Euonymus) · E. europaea 'Atrorubens' (European Euonymus) · E. europaea 'Red Ace' (European Euonymus) · E. europaea 'Red Cap' (European Euonymus) · E. europaeus (European Euonymus) · E. fortunei (Climbing Euonymus) · E. fortunei (Turcz.) Hand.-Mazz. 'Emerald Leader' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei (Turcz.) Hand.-Mazz. 'Emerald'n Gold' (Emerald 'n Gold Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Golden Prince' (Golden Prince Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei var. fortunei (Winter Creeper) · E. fortunei var. minimus (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei var. radicans (Winter Creeper) · E. fortunei var. vegetus (Bigleaf Wintercreeper) · E. fortunei 'Acutus' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Blondy' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Canadale Gold' (Canadale Gold Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Coloratus' (Purple Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Emerald & Gold' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety' (Emerald Gaiety Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Gold Splash' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Green Lane' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Harlequin' (Climbing Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Interbolwji' (Blondy® Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Ivory Jade' (Ivory Jade Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Kewensis' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Longwood' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Moonshadow' (Moonshadow Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Moon Shadow' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Niagara Green' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Sarcoxie' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Sheridan Gold' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Silver Queen' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Sunny Lane' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Sunshine' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Sunspot' (Sunspot Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Surespot' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. fortunei 'Wolong Ghost' (Wintercreeper Euonymus) · E. hamiltoniana (Hamilton's Spindletree) · E. hamiltonianus var. sieboldianus (Japanese Spindle Tree) · E. japonica (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica var. Aureo Marginata (Golden Euonymus) · E. japonica var. Greenspire Bekko (Greenspire Euonymus) · E. japonica'Aureo-marginata' (Box Leaf Euonymus) · E. japonica'Aureo-variegata' (Gold Spot Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Bekkomasaki' (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Chollipo' (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica'Golden Maiden' (Golden Maiden Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Green Spire' (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Microphyllus Butterscotch' (Boxleaf Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Ovatus Aureus' (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Rokujo' (Rokujo Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Rykujo' (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Silver Princess' (Boxleaf Euonymus) · E. japonica 'Sunny Delight' (Boxleaf Euonymus) · E. japonicus (Japanese Spindle Tree) · E. japonicus 'Aureo-Marginatus' (Golden Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Aureovariegatus' (Gold Spot Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Butterscotch' (Butterscotch Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Chollipo' (Chollipo Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Grandifolius' (Japanese Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Green Spire' (Green Spire Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Microphyllus' (Boxleaf Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Microphyllus Variegatus' (Boxleaf Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Moness' (Silver Princess" Boxleaf Euonymus) · E. japonicus 'Silver King' (Silver King Euonymus) · E. kiautschovica (Creeping Strawberry Bush) · E. kiautschovicus (Creeping Strawberry Bush) · E. kiautschovicus 'Manhattan' (Manhattan Euonymus)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 119.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 513.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 301.
- A spring flora for high schools, by Henry C. Cowles. .. and John G. Coulter. .. New York, American book company[c1915] url p. 10.
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 10.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 680.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 899.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 899, p. 902.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 446.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 491, p. 491.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 387, p. 388.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 480.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 14, p. 66.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 20 1909 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 182.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 111.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1916-1921. url .
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 53.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: New York Zoological Society, 1897- url p. 45.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 449.
- Annual wholesale catalogue of American trees, shrubs, plants and seeds: cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, near New-York / William Prince & Sons, proprietors. New York: s.n., 1832 url p. 179.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 1103.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 500.
- Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London: Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 500, p. 500.
- Arctic searching expedition: a journal of a boat-voyage through Rupert's Land and the Arctic Sea, in search of the discovery ships under command of Sir John Franklin. With an appendix on the physical geography of North America. By Sir John Richardson. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1851. url p. 287.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 11, p. 11, p. 140, p. 148, p. 20, p. 26, p. 27, p. 37, p. 47, p. 51, p. 67, p. 69, p. 73.
- Beautiful flowering trees and shrubs for British and Irish gardens / by John Weathers. London: Simpkin, Marshall, [1903?] url p. 93.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 67.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 30.
- Botany for academies and colleges: consisting of plant development and structure from seaweed to clematis, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott company, 1889. url .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 6 1922 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 20, p. 77.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 14, p. 291, p. 66.
- Bulletin / Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station. Lexington, Ky., : The Station, 1885- url p. 70.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 194.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 38, p. 76.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 11, p. 18, p. 18, p. 22, p. 55.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url , p. 60.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 1904 31 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 671.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 37.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 194.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 649.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 649.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 5 1897-1901 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 532, p. 604, p. 679.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 30.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 94.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 84.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for the identification of the flowering plants and ferns, by George Neville Jones. .. Notre Dame, Ind., The University Press, 1945. url p. 177.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 183.
- Flora of Lancaster County; being descriptions of the seed- plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvanial. By John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York, 1913. url p. 183.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 215.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Fritz Bahr's commercial floriculture; a practical manual for the retail grower, New York, The A. T. De la Mare company, inc.[c1922] url .
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 67.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 93.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 93.
- Hardy ornamental flowering trees and shrubs / by A. D. Webster. London: Smith, Elder, 1908. url p. 72.
- Heteroptera, or true bugs of eastern North America, with especial reference to the faunas of Indiana and Florida, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1926. url p. 124.
- History of the vegetable drugs of the Pharmacopeia of the United States / Cincinnati, O.: J. U. & C. G. Lloyd, 1911. url p. 36.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 172, p. 5.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 106, p. 106, p. 139, p. 139, p. 74.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 29 1928 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 321.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 298.
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 14 1828 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url no. 1322.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 817.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 29.
- Natural area inventory of Hyde County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 150, p. 176, p. 182, p. 202, p. 61, p. 65.
- Natural area inventory of Pamlico County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 19, p. 36, p. 39, p. 40, p. 45.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 155.
- Natural area inventory of Washington County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 166, p. 89.
- Natural areas inventory of Carteret County, North Carolina: for the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / [Raleigh]: N.C. Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, . url p. 163, p. 234.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 147.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 451, p. 452, p. 454.
- Origin and history of all the pharmacopeial vegetable drugs, chemicals and preparations with bibliography... Prepared under the auspices of and pub. by the American drug manufacturers' association, Washington, D.C. Cincinnati: The Caxton press, [c1921] url p. 438.
- Ornamental shrubs for garden, lawn, and park planting, with an account of the origin, capabilities, and adaptations of the numerous species and varieties, native and foreign, and especially of London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1899. url .
- Ornamental shrubs of the United States, hardy, cultivated. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1910] url p. 92.
- Our northern shrubs and how to identify them: a handbook for the nature-lover / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1922, c1903. url , .
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 356.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 232, p. 426, p. 72.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 20, p. 33, p. 43, p. 47, p. 50, p. 55, p. 59, p. 64, p. 67, p. 68, p. 72, p. 73, p. 85, p. 91.
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 604.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 193.
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url p. 144.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 458, p. 458, p. 662, p. 831.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 1010, p. 128, p. 197, p. 197, p. 216, p. 831.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url .
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 481, p. 52.
- The American gardener's calendar; adapted to the climates and seasons of the United States. Containing a complete account of all the work necessary to be done. .. for every month in the year; with ample practical directions for performing the same. .. By Bernard M'Mahon. Philadelphia, Printed by B. Graves, no. 40, North Fourth-Street, for the author, 1806. url p. 590.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 468, p. 532.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 38, p. 38.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 573.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , p. 1233, p. 1371, p. 747.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 410, p. 591, p. 609.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 856.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. 2 1874 London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 495.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 451, p. 452, p. 454.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 262.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 473.
- The Southern Appalachian forests, WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1905 url p. 41.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 19 1930 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 225, p. 249, p. 259.
- The art & craft of garden making / Thomas H. Mawson. London: B.T. Batsford;  url p. 296.
- The garden... London, 1872- url , p. 332.
- The genera of North American plants: and a catalogue of the species, to the year 1817 / by Thomas Nuttall. Philadelphia: Printed for the Author by D. Heartt, 1818. url p. 154.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 166.
- The mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. A biographic, historic and descriptive account of the furred animals of land and sea, both living and extinct, known to have existed in these states. .. Philadelphia, Privately published, 1903. url .
- The natural history of plants. By H. Baillon. Tr. by Marcus M. Hartog. London, L. Reeve & co., 1871-88. url p. 2.
- The natural history of plants. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1871-88. url .
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 117, p. 123, p. 453, p. 81.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 53.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 53.
- The vegetation of the New Jersey Pine-Barrens: an ecologic investigation / by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia: Christopher Sower Company, 1916. url p. 38.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 189, p. 253, p. 270, p. 290.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 167.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 198.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 108, p. 145, p. 147, p. 149, p. 168, p. 173, p. 175, p. 198, p. 234, p. 27, p. 31, p. 4, p. 42, p. 45, p. 46, p. 48, p. 51, p. 66, p. 75, p. 90, p. 93, p. 93.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 98.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 231.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 541.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 679.
- Trees and shrubs of the British Isles; native and acclimatised, LondonDent1909 url p. 41.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 541.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 290, p. 438.
- Woody plants in winter; a manual of common trees and shrubs in winter in the Northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, by Earl L. Core and Nelle P. Ammons. Pittsburgh, Boxwood Press url p. 137, p. 138.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 21, 2007:
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2651740
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-27947
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13743498
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:160771-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 16250
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 27947
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 160771-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDCEL05020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 38
- "Euonymus". in Flora of Pakistan Page 3.. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 206.470 meters (677.395 feet), Standard Deviation = 238.060 based on 97 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]