The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
The Senecioneae are a tribe of closely related genera that can be recognized most readily by the nature of the pappus and the involucral bracts or phyllaries. The phyllaries are basically in one well developed, often partially or wholly connate series of equal length that closely envelope the head . Frequently there are a few, very much smaller and mostly randomly distributed, often necrotic-tipped bracts near the base of the main series. The pappus is of fine, soft, often pure white capillary hairs . Heads may be either discoid or radiate . -- Gerald Carr.
, 10-60(-90) [-150+] cm (rhizomes sericeous
at nodes [glabrous
]). Stems usually 1, erect
. Leaves basal and cauline; alternate; petiolate
) or sessile; blades
palmati-pinnately or pinnately nerved, elliptic
, lanceolate, ovate-orbiculate, or ovate
entire or crenate
glabrous or arachnose to pilose
, sometimes glandular-pubescent
(especially along veins). Heads radiate
, borne singly or in corymbiform
arrays (peduncles often glandular-pubescent). Calyculi 0. Involucres campanulate
or broader, 22-40 mm.
, 21-30+ in 2-3+ series, erect to spreading
or nearly so, lanceolate to lance-linear
, equal to subequal
, margins seldom scarious
). Receptacles convex
to hemispheric, smooth
or foveolate (pilose), epaleate. Ray florets [13-]21-40+ (more in horticultural doubles
; corollas yellow. Disc florets [50-]100-250+, bisexual
, fertile; corollas yellow, tubes
shorter than to equaling funnelform
5, erect or recurved, lance-deltate to lance-linear (lengths
to 5 times widths
) ; style branches: stigmatic
areas continuous, apices rounded
. Cypselae flattened, broadly obovate
, 5- or 10-ribbed, glabrous or hairy
; pappi persistent, usually of 40-60, white or stramineous
(in 1-2 series), sometimes 0 in ray florets (e.g.
, D. pardalianches). x = 30.
Species 35: introduced ; Eurasia .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Lindley, 1833
- Family: Compositae () - Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Arnica Stiriaca • Arnica stiriaca Vill.
Members of the genus Doronicum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
D. austriacum (Austrian Leopards Bane) · D. caucasicum 'Finesse' (Finesse Leopard's Bane) · D. orientale (Leopards Bane) · D. orientale var. Magnificum (Leopard's Bane) · D. orientale 'Little Leo' (Little Leo Leopard's Bane) · D. orientale 'Miss Mason' (Leopards Bane) · D. pardalianches (Giant Leopards Bane) · D. plantagineum (Leopards Bane)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 04, 2007:
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- University of Vienna, Institute for Botany - Herbarium WU, Herbarium WU
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8833512
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 16124888
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 734186