Biome: Terrestrial .
A small tree
which is restricted
to a few valleys in the
Eastern Haggier Mountains and adjacent
. Locally common
in dense semi-deciduous woodland. Altitude
of 280–1,000 m
The total population was formerly thought to consist of no more than 30 individuals. Although severely geographically restricted, the species actually occurs commonly in places and appears to be regenerating healthily. The only other member of the genus is in Somalia.
In the past this tree has been considered rare, even on the point of extinction . This is almost certainly because most expeditions have visited the island in January to February when the tree is not in flower; it is then rather nondescript and easily overlooked. However, it becomes far more conspicuous in summer (March to April) when it is covered in white flowers. It is particularly abundant in the dense woodland in the upper reaches of Wadi Ayheft. It is also less common in other areas, for instance on the higher seaward-facing cliffs at Reqadrihon (above Hoq). These cliffs capture low cloud and drizzle during the winter and are a refugium for some species (e.g. , Coelocarpum haggierensis) which are otherwise found only in areas of high rainfall in the Haggehr mountains. (Ref. 269008).
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : Schweinf. ex Balf.f. Publication : in Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinb. xii. (1884) 404.
Members of the genus Dirachma
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 0 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 1997 IUCN red list of threatened plants Cambridge: IUCN, World Conservation Union, 1998 url p. 287.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 389.
- The World List of Threatened Trees WCMC, IUCN url p. 187.
- The natural history of Sokotra and Abdel-Kuri: being the report upon the results of the Conjoint Expedition to these Islands in 1898-9, by Mr. W.R. Ogilvie-Grant. .. and Dr. H.O. Forbes. .. / edited by Henry O. Forbes. Liverpool: The Free Public Museums, Henry Young and Sons, 1903. url p. 460.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Miller, A. 2004. Dirachma socotrana. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Miller, A. 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 19, 2008.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5956675
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:372126-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 372126-1
- IUCN ID: 205796
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1019282