American Indians introduced Persimmons to the English during Sir Walter Raleigh's voyages to the New World (1584-1590). The dried fruit and pulp were relished by southeastern Indians.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Chinese:
Mei Zhou Shi
Common Names in English:
American Persimmon, Common Persimmon, Date Plum, Eastern Persimmon, Persimmon, Possum Apple, White Ebony
Common Names in French:
Plaqueminier D´amérique, Plaqueminier De Virginie
Common Names in German:
Helles Ebenholz, Persimone
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Nepalese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Caqui De Virginia, Caqui Silvestre
Common Names in unspecified:
Common Persimmon, Eastern Persimmon, Persimmon
, occasionally with spine-tipped branchlets
. Leaves alternate, rarely opposite, entire; stipules absent. Flowers actinomorphic
, usually unisexual
, dioecious, or polygamous, rarely bisexual
. Male flowers often in cymes, sometimes in clusters
or solitary; pistil rudimentary
or absent. Female flowers often solitary, axillary
, imperfect or without stamens. Calyx 3--7-lobed, persistent
and often becoming enlarged in female or bisexual flowers; lobes
abutting or overlapping in bud. Corolla 3--7-lobed; lobes convolute, rarely overlapping or abutting. Stamens hypogynous or at bottom
of corolla, 2--4 X
as many as corolla lobes, rarely as many as corolla lobes and alternate with them; filaments
in pairs. Ovary superior, 2--16-locular; ovules 1 or 2 per locule. Styles 2--8, free or basally united; stigma entire or 2-lobed. Fruit a ± fleshy
berry, with few to several seeds. Seeds usually oblong
; endosperm sometimes ruminate
Three genera and ca. 500 species: mostly in the tropics; one genus and 60 species (43 endemic) in China.
, deciduous or evergreen
buds absent. Branchlet
sometimes forming a spine. Leaves alternate, occasionally minutely translucent
or with gland
pits. Flowers dioecious or polygamous. Male flowers in axillary
cymes, usually on basal part of current
year's branchlets, deciduous soon after anthesis
; stamens 4 to numerous
, often paired
and forming 2 whorls; ovary rudimentary
. Female flowers usually solitary, axillary; staminodes 1--16 or absent; stigma often 2-cleft. Calyx usually 3--5(--7) -lobed, sometimes truncate
. Corolla urn-shaped, campanulate
, or tubular
, 3--5(--7) -lobed, deciduous. Berries
to somewhat leathery, usually with an enlarged persistent
calyx. Seeds 1--10(or more), often laterally compressed
About 485 species: pantropical and extending into temperate regions ; 60 species in China, most abundant in SE and SW China, several incompletely known and of uncertain status. 
ID Features: No terminal buds. Lateral buds are small and black.
Habit: A deciduous tree , pyramidal in youth becoming open with age.
Flowers: Dioecious. Blooms early spring . Not ornamentally important. • Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: goldyellow-orange, red-orange, yellow
Seeds: Fruit: Only on female trees . Red orange multiple fruit . 1" to 2" long. Matures in September. Edible. Attracts wildlife.
Foliage: Summer foliage: Alternate leaf arrangement . Simple , deciduous leaves. 2" to 6" long. Ovate leaf shape. Dark, glossy green leaf color. Pubescent , lighter underside. • Fall foliage: Yellow to red fall color. Variable.
Growth Rate: Fast. • Size: 35' to 40' tall.
Hardy to zone 4.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 964 meters (0 to 3,163 feet).
Culture: Prefers moist, well-drained soil. Often found growing in sandy, infertile soils. PH adaptable. Full sun .
Soil: Minimum pH: 4.5 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1996
- Order: Ericales () - Dumortier, 1829
- Superorder: Primulanae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1996
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Diospyros mosieri Small • Diospyros virginiana var. mosieri (Small) Sarg. • Diospyros virginiana var. platycarpa Sarg. • Diospyros virginiana var. pubescens (Pursh) Dippel
Members of the genus Diospyros
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 58 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
D. angulata (Bois D') · D. australis (Black-Plum) · D. blancoi (Mabolo) · D. boutoniana (Bois D') · D. celebica (Indonesian Ebony) · D. chrysophyllos (Bois D') · D. crassiflora (Ebony) · D. decandra (Gold Apple) · D. digyna (Axle Grease Plant) · D. ebenum (Indian Ebony) · D. egrettarum (Bois D') · D. hemiteles (Bois D') · D. hillebrandii (Elama) · D. kaki (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Hachiya' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Fuyu' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Ichikikei Jiro' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Jiro' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Kostata' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Maekawa Jiro' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Matsumoto Wase Fuyu' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Saijo' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Sheng' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Tamopan' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. kaki 'Tanenashi' (Japanese Persimmon) · D. leucomelas (Bois D') · D. lotus (Date Plum) · D. lycioides (Karroo Bluebush) · D. macassar (Macassar Ebony) · D. malabarica (Indian Persimmon) · D. marmorata (Andaman Marblewood) · D. melanida (Bois D') · D. mun (Ebony) · D. neraudii (Bois D') · D. nitida (Black Persimmon) · D. nodosa (Bois D') · D. oleifera (Oil Persimmon) · D. pterocalyx (Bois D') · D. revaughanii (Bois D') · D. revoluta (Black Apple) · D. rhombifolia (Diamond-Leaf Persimmon) · D. rumphii (Streaked Ebony) · D. sandwicensis (Lama) · D. sinensis (Chinese Persimmon) · D. sintenisii (Chinese Persimmon) · D. tessellaria (Black Ebony) · D. texana (Texas Persimmon) · D. tomentosa (Nepal Ebony) · D. vaccinioides (Small Persimmon) · D. virginiana (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Campbell Nc10' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'John Rick' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Meader' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Peiper' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Prok' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Ruby' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Szukis' (American Persimmon) · D. virginiana 'Yates' (American Persimmon)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological study of Polypodium polypodioides (resurrection fern) as an air plant in Mississippi... Baltimore, Md., 1923. url p. 3.
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 329.
- A bud and twig key to the more important broadleaf deciduous trees in the United States, by O. L. Sponsler. Ann Arbor, Mich., G. Wahr, 1916. url p. 24.
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 29.
- A check-list of plants mentioned in the Arnold Arboretum bulletins / [compiled by Charles Downing Lay, Robert Wheelwright]. Harrisburg, Pa.: Landscape Architecture, Inc., 1919 url p. 13.
- A college text-book of Botany, being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary Botany." New York, Holt, 1905. url p. 710.
- A college text-book of botany: being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany, " / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: Henry Holt and Company1905. url p. 710.
- A college text-book of botany; being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany." New York: Holt, 1908 [c1905] url p. 710.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 219.
- A floristic study of the attached algae of Lake Mize, Florida / by Helen Davis Brown. 1972. url p. 26.
- A general introduction to forestry in the United States, with special reference to recent forest conservation policies, by Nelson Courtlandt Brown. New York, Chapman & Hall, limited, 1935. url p. 289.
- A hand-book to the order Lepidoptera. By W.F. Kirby. .. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url .
- A handbook to the flora of Natal / by J. Medley Wood. Durban, Natal: Bennett & Davis, Printers, 1907. url p. 79.
- A handbook to the order Lepidoptera. By W. F. Kirby. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url p. 126.
- A manual of bee husbandry. Trenton, N. J., 1922. url .
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 589.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 681.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 127.
- A manual of the timbers of the world: their characteristics and uses: to which is appended an account by S. Fitzgerald of the artificial seasoning of timber. London: Macmillan, 1920. url , .
- A record of the doctors in botany of the University of Chicago 1897-1916, presented to John Merle Coulter, professor and head of the Department of botany, by the doctors in Botany at the quarter-centennial of the university, June 1916. Chicago,  url .
- A study of some characteristics of vegetable oils, by James B. McNair. 9 1930 Chicago, 1930. url p. 56, p. 59, p. 63.
- A survey of beekeeping in North Carolina. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1916 url .
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url , , , , , , , .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 359, p. 408.
- A textbook of botany for colleges and universities. .. Cincinnati [etc]American book company[1910-11] url .
- Addisonia: colored illustrations and popular descriptions of plants. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1916-. url , , , , , , p. 82, p. 84, p. 9.
- Alfalfa, grasshoppers, bees: their relationship. A report of the field-work of the Department of entomology, summer of 1898. .. By S. J. Hunter. Topeka, Kan., Press of the state printer, 1899. url p. 142, p. 142.
- American forest trees, by Henry H. Gibson; ed. by Hu Maxwell. Chicago, Hardwood record, 1913. url , p. 12.
- American forest trees; edited by Hu Maxwell. ChicagoHardwood Record1913 url .
- American honey plants; together with those which are of special value to the beekeeper as sources of pollen. Hamilton, Ill., American Bee Journal, 1920. url p. 192.
- An annotated catalogue of types of the University of Illinois mycological collections (ILL) / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1997. url p. 275.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1055, p. 220.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url , p. 720.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 484.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 562.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 132, p. 522, p. 77.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 219.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 23 1912 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 113, p. 126, p. 128, p. 161, p. 234.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Albany: State of New York, Dept. of Agriculture, 1894-1911. url p. 348, p. 355.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 223.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 54, p. 634, p. 84, p. 87.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 172.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 659.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 659.
- Aristocrats of the garden, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1917. url , .
- Aristocrats of the garden, by Ernest H. Wilson. .. Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company[c1917] url p. 304, p. 304, p. 308, p. 308, p. 84.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 42 - 46 1973 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 10, p. 11, p. 12, p. 12, p. 21, p. 22, p. 25, p. 26, p. 28, p. 34, p. 38, p. 49, p. 58, p. 78, p. 79.
- Bee-keeping in North Carolina. A study of some statistics on the industry, with suggestions and conclusions. Raleigh, 1908 url .
- Beekeeping in Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark., 1920. url .
- Beekeeping; a discussion of the life of the honeybee and of the production of honey, by Everett Franklin Phillips. London, Macmillan & Co., 1918. url p. 388.
- Bergen's botany, key and flora. Northern and central states ed. By Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 189.
- Biggle bee book a swarm of facts on practical bee-keeping, carefully hived / by Jacob Biggle. Philadelphia: W. Atkinson Co., 1909. url .
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 183, p. 27.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 228.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 35.
- Black rot, leaf spot and canker of pomaceous fruits / L.R. Hesler. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University, 1916. url p. 98.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 288, p. 61.
- Botany all the year round; a practical text-book for schools, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company url .
- Botany of the Bermudas / by H.B. Small. Hamilton, Bermuda: S. Nelmes, 1913. url p. 85.
- Botany of the Bermudas, Hamilton, BermudaS. Nelmes, 1913. url .
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 1 1912 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 105, p. 18, p. 3, p. 3, p. 3, p. 8.
- Bulletin - Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono]Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. url .
- Bulletin / Arizona Agricultural Experiment Station. Tucson: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Arizona, 1890-1960. url p. 90, p. 96.
- Bulletin / Department of Agriculture, Forestry Division. Washington: G.P.O., url p. 82.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url , p. 241, p. 265, p. 267, p. 311, p. 335, p. 385, p. 539, p. 87.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 329, p. 453, p. 58.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 118, p. 234, p. 293, p. 298, p. 49.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 10, p. 246, p. 29, p. 39, p. 42, p. 57, p. 71, p. 83, p. 84.
- Bulletin Harrisburg, Pa.: The Department, - url , .
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 43, p. 488.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1913 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 165, p. 185, p. 245, p. 294, p. 294, p. 34, p. 83.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url , p. 59.
- Bulletin of the Geological Society of America. [New York: The Society], 1890-1960. url p. 397.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 7 1909-1911 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 143, p. 180, p. 238, p. 265, p. 275.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url , , p. 11, p. 21, p. 21, p. 22, p. 22, p. 28, p. 38, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 14.
- Calvert county. Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins Press, 1907. url p. 217.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 205.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 1827, p. 1828, p. 1874.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 689.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 689.
- Catalogue of the exhibit of economic entomology at the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago Ill., 1893, Washington, D.C., U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Entomology, 1893. url p. 29.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 317.
- Check list of the forest trees of the United States: their names and ranges / by George B. Sudworth. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Agriculture, Forestry Division, 1898. url p. 104, p. 117.
- Children's gardens for school and home: a manual of cooperative gardening / by Louise Klein Miller. New York: Appleton, 1904. url p. 222, p. 222.
- Commercial plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare Company, 1918. url p. 151.
- Common forest trees of Georgia: how to know them. A pocket manual, prepared by W. R. Mattoon and Thos. D. Burleigh. Athens, Ga., 1923. url p. 77.
- Common forest trees of North Carolina: how to know them; a pocket manual / by J. S. Holmes, State Forester. Chapel Hill, N.C.: North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey, 1923. url p. 73.
- Common trees of Ohio: a handy pocket manual of the common and introduced trees of Ohio / by Joseph S. Illick, in cooperation with Edmund Secrest. Washington, D. C.: The American Tree Association, 1927. url p. 98.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 479, p. 498, p. 636.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , , .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 362, p. 369.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 23 1920-1926 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 1126, p. 118, p. 119, p. 227, p. 241, p. 378, p. 382, p. 394, p. 400, p. 407, p. 472, p. 479, p. 537, p. 664.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 23 2001 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 317.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 135.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1121, p. 818.
- Cultivation and diseases of fruit trees in the Maltese Islands. By. J. Borg. Malta: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url p. 413.
- Cyclopedia of hardy fruits, by U. P. Hedrick. New York: The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 349, p. 349, p. 349.
- Deciduous orchards in California winters [Berkeley, Calif.]: College of Agriculture, University of California,  url .
- Early British botanists and their gardens, based on unpublished writings of Goodyer, Tradescant, and others, by R. T. Gunther. With nine plates and twenty-one other illustrations. Oxford, Printed by F. Hall for the author at the University Press, 1922. url p. 320.
- Elementary botany. New York, Holt, 1898. url p. 500.
- Elementary botany. New York: H. Holt, [c1905] url .
- Elements of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1904, pref. 1906] url .
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 222, p. 5, p. 5, p. 8.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 93.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 16, p. 19, p. 19, p. 23, p. 29, p. 29, p. 70, p. 95.
- Essentials of botany. Boston, Ginn[c1908] url .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url , p. 1000, p. 142, p. 467, p. 740, p. 744, p. 949.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 226, p. 40, p. 43, p. 91.
- Farm forestry, a text book dealing with the wooded parts of southern farms and the problems growing out of them, for use in agricultural high schools and colleges, by Alfred Akerman. .. Athens, Ga. [Jackson, Ga., Progress print]1914. url p. 18.
- Field manual of trees; including southern Canada and the northern United States to the southern boundary of Virginia, Kentucky and Missouri, westward to the limits of the prairie, by John H. Schaffner. Columbus, Ohio, R. G. Adams, 1922. url p. 120.
- Fifth report of the United States Entomological Commission, being a revised and enlarged edition of Bulletin no. 7, on insects injurious to forest and shade trees. By Alpheus S. Packard. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1890. url p. 249.
- First book of forestry / by Filibert Roth. Boston: Ginn, 1902. url p. 279.
- Flood tolerance of plant species in bottomland forests of the southeastern United States / 1992. url p. 103, p. 105, p. 112, p. 114, p. 118, p. 121, p. 122, p. 124, p. 125, p. 136, p. 137, p. 142, p. 144, p. 145, p. 149, p. 150, p. 153, p. 154, p. 155, p. 171, p. 172, p. 175, p. 184, p. 188, p. 196, p. 34, p. 67, p. 73.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , , p. 53, p. 79.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 286.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 286.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Louis O. Williams. 24 1967 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1967. url p. 245.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 178, p. 6.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 751.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 223.
- Flora of Miami; being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally on the Everglade Keys and in the adjacent Everglades, southern peninsular Florida. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 141, p. 141.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 222, p. 241.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 227.
- Flora of the Florida keys; being descriptions of the see-plants growing naturally on the islands of the Florida reef from Virginia key to Dry Tortugas, by John Kunkel Small. .. New York: The author, 1913. url p. 110.
- Flora of the Patuxent Research Refuge, Maryland / Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Biological Survey,  url p. 28.
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 170.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , .
- Flowers and insects; lists of visitors of four hundred and fifty-three flowers, by Charles Robertson. Carlinville, Ill., n.p.1928. url p. 107.
- Food of the woodpeckers of the United States / Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Biological Survey, 1911. url .
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url , .
- Forest vegetation in Maryland / Baltimore: The Department, 1974. url p. 65.
- Forestry almanac, compiled and edited by the American tree association. Washington, D.C.[c1924] url p. 32.
- Forestry note / Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois, Department of Forestry; 1948-1969. url p. 267, p. 548, p. 549.
- Forestry quarterly. Ithaca, N.Y. [etc.] url p. 529.
- Forestry research report. Urbana, Ill., Agricultural Experiment Station, Dept. of Forestry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. url , p. 2, p. 2, p. 3.
- Fungous diseases of plants, Boston, Ginn and company[c1909] url p. 315, p. 494, p. 501.
- Fungous diseases of plants, with chapters on physiology, culture methods and technique, by Benjamin Minge Duggar. Boston, Ginn and company, [c1909] url p. 494, p. 501.
- Fungous diseases of plants: with chapters on physiology, culture methods and technique / Boston; Ginn, [c1909] url , .
- Fungous diseases of plants; with chapters on physiology, culture methods and techniques. Boston, Ginn url p. 494, p. 501.
- Geology of the Yellowstone National Park: Part II, descriptive geology, petrography, and paleontology / by Arnold Hague. .. [et al.]. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1899. url p. 752, p. 885.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 648.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 294, p. 861.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 180, p. 238, p. 275.
- Guidebook for the identification of woods used for ties and timbers, by Arthur Koehler, expert in wood identification, Forest products laboratory, Madison, Wisconsin. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1917. url .
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 521.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 521.
- Handbook of experiment station work. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1893. url p. 366.
- Handbook of the trees of New England, with ranges throughout the United States and Canada, by Lorin L. Dame and Henry Brooks; plates from original drawings by Elizabeth Gleason Bigelow. Boston, Ginn[c1901] url p. 161.
- Hardwood record. Chicago: Hardwood Co., 1902-1939. url p. 37, p. 50, p. 514.
- Hardy ornamental flowering trees and shrubs / by A. D. Webster. London: Smith, Elder, 1908. url p. 62.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 6072.
- Heteroptera, or true bugs of eastern North America, with especial reference to the faunas of Indiana and Florida, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1926. url p. 934.
- Home fruit growing in California / Berkeley: University of California, College of Agriculture, 1940. url .
- Horticutural statutes, also quarantine orders and regulations and list of state and county horticultural officers. [Sacramento]California state printing office, 1917] url p. 53.
- How to keep bees for profit, New York, The Macmillan company, 1918. url p. 301, p. 304.
- Identification of the economic woods of the United States, including a discussion of the structural and physical properties of wood, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1919. url , , , , , p. 174, p. 39, p. 51, p. 64, p. 94.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 165, p. 179.
- Illinois birds: Mimidae [by] Richard R. Graber, Jean W. Graber [and] Ethelyn L. Kirk. Urbana, State of Illinois, Natural History Survey Division, 1970. url p. 13.
- Illinois forest management: a quarterly newsletter for Illinois landowners. Urbana, Ill.: Dept. of Forestry and the Cooperative Extension Service, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1983- url p. 12.
- Illinois trees: selection, planting, and care [by] J. Cedric Carter. Urbana, 1966. url p. 92.
- Illustrated key to the wild and commonly cultivated trees of the northeastern United States and adjacent Canada; based primarily upon leaf characters, New YorkHolt1912 url p. 169, p. 175, p. 21.
- Indian Museum notes. Calcutta: [Indian Museum]: 1889-1903. url .
- Insects affecting park and woodland trees, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany, New York state education department, 1905-06. url p. 219.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 342, p. 472.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url , , p. 1122, p. 1123, p. 1198.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, Ginn and company[c1914] url .
- Introduction to botany. Boston, Ginn url p. 189.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 389, p. 469.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url , p. 199, p. 326.
- Journal of entomology and zoology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Pomona College Dept. of Zoology, [1913- url p. 21.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url , p. 14, p. 14, p. 142, p. 142, p. 184, p. 71, p. 83.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 179, p. 181, p. 188, p. 43, p. 45.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 20 1919 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 101, p. 222, p. 227, p. 247, p. 288, p. 299, p. 33, p. 55, p. 72.
- Key and flora, northern and central states. Boston, Ginn,  url p. 189.
- Key and flora: northern and central states / Boston: Ginn, 1908. url .
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 31.
- Leaf-mining insects / by James G. Needham, Stuart W. Frost, Beatrice H. Tothill. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins company, [c1928] url p. 309.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 5.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , p. 11, p. 18, p. 19, p. 20, p. 21, p. 25, p. 4, p. 7.
- London trees. Being an account of the trees that succeed in London, with a descriptive account of each species and notes on their comparative value and cultivation. With guide to where the finest London trees may b by A. D. Webster. London, The Swarthmore Press, 1920. url p. 208, p. 214, p. viii.
- Manual of the flowering plants of Iowa. [Lamoni, Iowa]Privately published, 1899. url .
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 1030.
- Manual of the trees of North America (exclusive of Mexico) by Charles Sprague Sargent, with seven hundred and eighty-three illustrations from drawings by Charles Edward Faxon and Mary W. Gill. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin company, 1922. url , , p. 821, p. 821, p. 823, p. 823, p. 903, p. 903.
- Manual of tropical and subtropical fruits, excluding the banana, coconut, pineapple, citrus fruits, olive, and fig, by Wilson Popenoe. .. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1920. url p. 362, p. 362.
- Maryland geological survey. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1901-1923. url p. 897.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 136, p. 142.
- Methods in plant histology, by Charles J. Chamberlain. Chicago, University of Chicago Press[1933, c1932] url p. 146.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 48.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 77.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 132, p. 522.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 34.
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 138.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , , p. 117.
- Natural area inventory of Hyde County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 176, p. 182.
- Natural area inventory of Pamlico County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 77.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 115, p. 156, p. 41.
- Natural area inventory of Washington County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 89.
- Natural areas inventory of Carteret County, North Carolina: for the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / [Raleigh]: N.C. Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, . url p. 141.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 147.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 408.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 408.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 410.
- New manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearr. and extensively rev. by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1908] url p. 648.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 218, p. 22, p. 32.
- North American trees (exclusive of Mexico and tropical United States) A handbook designed for field use, with plates and distribution maps. Ames, Iowa State University Press url p. 341.
- North American trees: being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies / New York: H. Holt and Co., 1908. url .
- North American trees: guide to Charles F. Millspaugh Hall, by Samuel J. Record. Chicago, 1934. url p. 109, p. 118.
- North American trees; being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies; with the assistance of John Adolph Shafer. New YorkHolt1908 url p. 785.
- Official guide to the museums of economic botany. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1907 url p. 143.
- Origin of cultivated plants / by Alphonse de Candolle. .. London: Paul, Trench, 1886. url p. 445.
- Origin of cultivated plants, by Alphonse de Candolle. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1884. url p. 445.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 191, p. 191.
- Our native trees and how to identify them; a popular study of their habits and their peculiarities, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1917. url , .
- Our trees. A popular account of the trees in the streets and gardens of Salem, and of the native trees of Essex County, Massachusetts, with the location of trees, and historical and botanical notes. Salem, Printed by N. A. Horton and Son, 1891. url .
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 36, p. 47, p. 74.
- Pamphlets on forest utilization. [1900?- url , p. 40.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 93.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Maryland. [1900?- url p. 269, p. 304.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Nebraska. [1900?- url p. 78.
- Pamphlets on forestry in North Carolina. [1900?- url p. 225, p. 4, p. 68, p. 69.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Pennsylvania. [1900?- url , p. 210, p. 227.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Tennessee. [1900?- url p. 50.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 17.
- Pennsylvania trees / by J.S. Illick. Harrisburg., Pa.: W. S. Ray, State Printer, 1915. url p. 210, p. 227.
- Pennsylvania trees. Harrisburg, Pa.W.S. Ray, State Printer1914 url p. 210, p. 227.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 126, p. 136, p. 21, p. 32, p. 327, p. 363, p. 38, p. 380, p. 39, p. 48, p. 50, p. 55, p. 58, p. 59, p. 61, p. 64, p. 66, p. 67, p. 67, p. 67, p. 69, p. 73, p. 74, p. 85, p. 91.
- Plant health care for woody ornamentals: a professional's guide to preventing and managing environmental stresses and pests / [Urbana, Ill.]: Cooperative Extension Service, College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, c1997. url p. 190.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 241, p. 255, p. 32, p. 664.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 241, p. 664.
- Plant materials of decorative gardening; the woody plants. Urbana, The author, 1921. url p. 125.
- Popular fruit growing / St. Paul, Minn.: Webb Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 262.
- Popular fruit growing / by Samuel B. Green. St. Paul, Minn.: Webb Pub. Co., 1917. url p. 289.
- Popular fruit growing, St. Paul, Minn., Press of Webb publishing co., 1912. url p. 289, p. 289.
- Popular fruit growing. .. St. Paul: Webb, 1914, c1912. url p. 289.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 193.
- Preliminary study of forest conditions in Tennessee. By R. Clifford Hall. Nashville, McQuiddy printing company, 1910. url p. 50.
- Prince George's County. Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins Press, 1911. url p. 234.
- Principles of American forestry / New York, J. Wiley & Sons, 1903. url .
- Principles of American forestry. By Samuel B. Green. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], 1913, c1903. url p. 227, p. 325.
- Principles of American forestry. New YorkWiley1903 url p. 227, p. 325.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 165, p. 292, p. 848, p. 854, p. 855, p. 86.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 136, p. 207, p. 207, p. 3, p. 3, p. 42, p. 67, p. 67.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url .
- Promising new fruits. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902?-11 url p. 211, p. 256.
- Propagation of fruit plants / Berkeley, Calif.: College of Agriculture, University of California, 1936. url .
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 241.
- Reevaluation of vegetational characteristics at the CERC Field Research Facility, Duck, North Carolina / by Richard L. Harris, Gerald F. Levy, and James E. Perry; prepared for U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: National Technical Information Service, Operations Division [distributor, 1983] url p. 15, p. 63.
- Report of a trip to India and the Orient in search of the natural enemies of the citrus white fly. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1913. url p. 42, p. 57.
- Report on forest conditions in Delaware and a forest policy for the state / by W.D. Sterrett. Newark, Del.: Delaware College Agricultural Experiment Station, 1908. url p. 24.
- Report upon the forestry investigations of the U.S. Department of agriculture. 1877-1898. By B. E. Fernow. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1899. url p. 94.
- Shrubs of Florida; a handbook of the native and naturalized shrubs of Florida, by John Kunkel Small... New York: The author, 1913. url p. 102.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 172.
- St. Mary's County. Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins Press, 1907. url p. 186.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 362.
- Students' handbook to accompany Plants and their uses / by Frederick Leroy Sargent. New York: Henry Holt, 1914. url .
- Studies of the vegetation of Missouri. .. / By Julian A. Steyermark. 9 1940 [Chicago, 1940- url p. 351, p. 376, p. 377, p. 423, p. 429, p. 430, p. 432, p. 435, p. 436, p. 439, p. 440, p. 441, p. 442, p. 450, p. 465, p. 470, p. 474, p. 475.
- Systematic pomology, treating of description, nomenclature, and classification of fruits, by F. A. Waugh. .. New York: Orange Judd company, 1903. url p. 144.
- Systematic pomology; treating of description, nomenclature, and classification of fruits, by F. A. Waugh. New York: O. Judd Co., 1908 [c1903] url p. 144.
- Taxonomy, ethology, and ecology of Phidippus (Araneae: Salticidae) in eastern North America / by Glavis Bernard Edwards, Jr. 1980. url p. 196.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 325, p. 413, p. 57, p. 70.
- Technical report: Illinois natural areas inventory / by the Department of Landscape Architecture, Univeristy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and the Natural Land Institute, Rockford, Illinois. Urbana: Dept. of Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois and Natural Land Institute, 1978. url p. 409.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 233, p. 279.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1920] url p. 279, p. 279.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1371.
- The American woods: exhibited by actual specimens and with copious explanatory text / by Romeyn B. Hough. Lowville, N.Y.: Pub., and sections prepared by the author, 1910, c1888 url , , , p. 25, p. 62.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 215.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 117, p. 36, p. 670, p. 702, p. 740.
- The Bulletin of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture. Raleigh: State Board of Agriculture, [1907- url p. 16.
- The Buprestidae of North America, exclusive of Mexico, a catalogue including synonomy, bibliography, distribution, type locality and hosts of each species, by W. J. Chamberlin. Eugene, Or., c1926 url p. 191.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 170, p. 522, p. 743.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 459.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 454.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 403, p. 525, p. 525.
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url p. 350, p. 754.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 125, p. 213, p. 22, p. 32, p. 417, p. 451, p. 470, p. 535, p. 79.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 16, p. 484.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 17, p. 18, p. 19, p. 302.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 391, p. 505, p. 706.
- The San Jose or Chinese scale. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1906. url p. 39, p. 83, p. 84.
- The Southern Appalachian forests, WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1905 url p. 285, p. 39.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1034, p. 123, p. 170, p. 237, p. 237, p. 361.
- The bee-keeper's guide: or Manual of the apiary / Chicago. Ill.: George W. York & Co., 1910, 1883. url .
- The bee-keeper's guide: or, Manual of the apiary / by A.J. Cook. Chicago: York, 1902. url p. 409.
- The bee-keeper's guide; or, Manual of the apiary, Chicago, Ill., George W. York & company, 1904. url .
- The bogs and bog flora of the Huron River Valley. .. By Edgar Nelson Transeau. [Chicago]The University of Chicago Press url p. 278.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 156.
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore, with over 500 drawings by the author, Ernest Thompson Seton. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1922. url , p. 454, p. 582.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url , p. 454, p. 582.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 162, p. 162, p. 327, p. 327.
- The conservation of the wild life of Canada / by C. Gordon Hewitt. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 186.
- The different forms of flowers on plants of the same species /by Charles Darwin. 1900 New York: D. Appleton, [19--] url p. xviii.
- The drug plants of Illinois / Leo R. Tehon; drawings by Kay H. Wadsworth. Urbana, Ill.: Natural History Survey Division, 1951. url p. 126, p. 49.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The flora of the Dakota group, a posthumous work, by Leo Lesquereux. Ed. by F.H. Knowlton. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url p. 243.
- The flora of the Raritan formation, by Edward W. Berry. Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, printers, 1911. url p. 211.
- The forests of Baltimore County, Batlimore, Md., 1921. url p. 13.
- The fundamentals of fruit production, by Victor Ray Gardner, Frederick Charles Bradford and Henry Daggett Hooker, jr. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1922. url p. 545, p. 545.
- The honey bee: a manual of instruction in apiculture. By Frank Benton, M.S. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1899. url p. 66.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 245.
- The nursery-manual; a complete guide to the multiplication of plants, by L. H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan,  url p. 182, p. 390.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 227, p. 469, p. 514, p. 75.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url , , , .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 54, p. 634.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 54.
- The plum curculio. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 246, p. 33.
- The principal species of wood: their characteristic properties. By Charles Henry Snow. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], [c1908], 1910. url , p. 117, p. 118.
- The principles of fruit-growing, with applications to practice, by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & Co., ltd., 1915. url p. 5, p. 5.
- The romance of our trees, Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page[c1920] url .
- The silva of North America a description of the tree which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico / by Charles Sprague Sargent; illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. Boston;Houghton, Mifflin, 1894 url , .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 6 1894 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 10, p. 7, tab. CCLII, tab. CCLIII, p. v.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1015, p. 2556, p. 2557, p. 2558, p. 374.
- The study of plant communities: an introduction to plant ecology. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman, 1948. url p. 38.
- The timbers of commerce and their identification, London, W. Rider & son, limited, 1918. url .
- The trees of Great Britain & Ireland / by Henry John Elwes and Augustine Henry. Edinburgh: Priv. print., 1906-13. url , , , , p. 1986.
- The trees of North Carolina, Chapel Hill [N.C.]W. C. Coker, 1916. url , .
- The trees of North Carolina, by W. C. Coker, and H. R. Totten. Chapel Hill [N.C.]W. C. Coker, 1916. url p. 103, p. 90.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 203.
- The vegetation of Shackleford Bank / by I.F. Lewis. Raleigh: Edwards & Broughton, 1917. url .
- The vegetation of south Florida south of 27 30 north, exclusive of the Florida keys, by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia, Wagner Free Institute of Science, 1914. url p. 104, p. 134.
- The vegetation of the New Jersey Pine-Barrens: an ecologic investigation / by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia: Christopher Sower Company, 1916. url p. 142, p. 85.
- Timber technicalities: being definitions of terms used in the home and foreign timber, mahogany and hardwood industries, the sawmill and woodworking trades, as well as those employed in connection with architecture and buil London: W. Rider url p. 95.
- Timber trees and forests of North Carolina, by Gifford Pinchot and W. W. Ashe. Winston, M. I. & J. C. Stewart, public printers, 1897. url p. 4, p. 68, p. 69.
- Timber. LondonConstable1908 url p. 115.
- To the snows of Tibet through China / London: Longmans, Green, 1892. url p. 10.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 106, p. 146, p. 148, p. 159, p. 160, p. 164, p. 167, p. 173, p. 190, p. 191, p. 221, p. 225, p. 233, p. 248, p. 251, p. 270, p. 47, p. 53, p. 56, p. 67, p. 99.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 168.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 197.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url , p. 111, p. 13, p. 142, p. 148, p. 148, p. 152, p. 164, p. 175, p. 19, p. 197, p. 22, p. 23, p. 30, p. 31, p. 36, p. 48, p. 48, p. 95.
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url p. 112.
- Transactions of the Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia. 7 1910 Philadelphia: Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia, 1887-1927. url p. 104, p. 134.
- Travels in the Confederation, 1783-1784. From the German. Translated and edited by Alfred J. Morrison. Philadelphia, W.J. Campbell, 1911. url p. 20.
- Tree ancestors; a glimpse into the past, by Edward Wilber Berry. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1923. url p. 256, p. 258, p. 260.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 1126.
- Trees of Indiana / Indianapolis: State Board of Forestry of Indiana, 1919. url p. 250, p. 251, p. 278, p. 292, p. 8.
- Trees of Indiana / by Chas. C. Deam Fort Wayne, Ind.: Fort Wayne Printing Co., 1921 url p. 12, p. 265, p. 266, p. 299, p. 309.
- Trees of Indiana, Fort Wayne, Ind., Fort Wayne printing company, 1911. url p. 327, p. 363, p. 9.
- Trees of Indiana. Fort Wayne, Ind., Fort Wayne Printing Co., 1921. url , , .
- Trees of New York State: native and naturalized / by H.P. Brown. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, 1921 [c1922] url p. 324, p. 325, p. 57, p. 70.
- Trees of Ohio and surrounding territory, including the area westward to the limits of the prairie and south to the thirty seventh parallel. Columbus, Ohio1909 url p. 172.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 426, p. 438.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture 1949. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture: 1949. url p. 767, p. 786.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture, 1949 / the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office, 1949 url p. 767, p. 786.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 24 1983 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url , p. 125.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 36, p. 6.
- Vegetative study at the Duck Field Research Facility, Duck, North Carolina. Fort Belvoir, Va.: U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center, 1976. url p. 34.
- Waste-land wanderings, by Charles C. Abbott. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1887. url p. 305.
- Waste-land wanderings. New York, Harper, 1887. url .
- Wayside trees series I. Being a description of the magnolias, tulip-tree, basswood, elms, cherries, birches, etc. / Springfield, Mass.: Taber-Prang Art Co., c1899. url .
- West Virginia trees. Morgantown, 1920. url p. 215, p. 215.
- Wild bird guests, how to entertain them: with chapters on the destruction of birds, their economic and aesthetic values, suggestions for dealing with their enemies, and on the organization and management of bird clubs / by Ernest Harold Baynes; with a preface by Theodore Roosevelt. New York: Dutton, 1915. url p. 171.
- Wild bird guests; how to entertain them; with chapters on the destruction of birds, their economic and aesthetic values, suggestions for dealing with their enemies, and on the organization and management of bird clubs, New York, E. P. Dutton & Company, 1915. url .
- Winter botany, a companion volume to the author's Plant materials of decorative gardening, by William Trelease. .. Urbana, The author, 1918. url p. 303.
- Winter botany, by William Trelease. .. Urbana, The author, 1918. url p. 303.
- Wood-using industries of Pennsylvania. Harrisburg, Pa., W. S. Ray, state printer, 1914. url p. 58.
- Woody plants in winter; a manual of common trees and shrubs in winter in the Northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, by Earl L. Core and Nelle P. Ammons. Pittsburgh, Boxwood Press url p. 178, p. 180.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 214, p. 264.
- Yearbook of the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1895-1920. url p. 482, p. 483.
- Li Shu-gang (as Lee Shu-kang). 1987. Ebenaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 60(1): 84-154.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 11, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 21, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 11 providers.
- Light, Kris. East Tennessee Wildflowers
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 27, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 21, 2007:
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Utah State University, USU-UTC Specimen Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2649303
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-23855
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13730347
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:323180-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 14329
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 23855
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 323180-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDEBE01070
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: DIMO7
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 35679
- Shugang Li, Michael G. Gilbert & Frank White "Ebenaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 15 Page 215. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Diospyros". in Flora of China Vol. 15 Page 215. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 178.670 meters (586.188 feet), Standard Deviation = 164.370 based on 106 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]