Common Names in English:
Small Yellow Foxglove, Straw Foxglove
Herbs, rarely basally woody. Stems simple
or branched at base
. Leaves alternate, large, often crowded below, margin
entire or toothed
. Flowers in terminal
, often secund
. Calyx 5-lobed; lobes
imbricate. Corolla oblique
, tubular-campanulate, often constricted
beyond ovary, somewhat ventricose
; limb slightly 2-lipped; lower lip 3-lobed, middle
lobe longer than lateral
lobes; upper lip lobes much reduced, emarginate
. Stamens 4, didynamous
touching in pairs, locules divaricate
, apically confluent
. Style 2-lobed. Capsule ovoid
. Seeds numerous
to subovoid, small, ribbed
; seed coat
About 25 species: Asia, Europe; one species cultivated in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June. • Flower Color: pale yellow, yellow
Size: 18-24" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,620 meters (0 to 8,596 feet).
Culture: Space 9-12" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 8.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Digitalis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 56 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
D. ciliata (Foxglove Digitalis Ciliata) · D. davisiana (Foxglove) · D. dubia (Dwarf Spanish Foxglove) · D. ferruginea (Rusty Foxglove) · D. ferruginea 'Gelber Herold' (Rusty Foxglove) · D. ferruginea 'Gigantea' (Gigantea Rusty Foxglove) · D. grandiflora (Yellow Foxglove) · D. grandiflora 'Carillon' (Yellow Foxglove) · D. laevigata (Grecian Foxglove) · D. lamarckii (Foxglove) · D. lanata (Grecian Foxglove) · D. lutea (Small Yellow Foxglove) · D. lutea Brickell's form (Straw Foxglove) · D. lutea lutea (Straw Foxglove) · D. obscura (Willow Leaf Foxglove) · D. obscura obscura (Willow-Leaf Foxglove) · D. parviflora (Foxglove) · D. purpurea (Apricot Blush Foxglove) · D. purpurea f. albiflora (White Flowered Common Foxglove Digitalis Purpurea F. Albiflora) · D. purpurea heywoodii (Foxglove) · D. purpurea heywoodii 'Silver Fox' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea mariana (Foxglove) · D. purpurea var. alba (Purple Foxglove) · D. purpurea var. purpurea (Purple Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Apricot' (Apricot Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Apricot Beauty' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Apricot Faerie Queen' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Camelot Cream' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Camelot Lavender' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Camelot Mix' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Camelot Rose' (Camelot Rose Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Camelot White' (Camelot White Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Excelsior Hybrids' (Excelsior Group Foxglove Digitalis Purpurea) · D. purpurea 'Excelsior Mix' (Excelsior Mix Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Foxy' (Foxy Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Foxy Mix' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Gelbe Lanze' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Giant Shirley' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Glittering Prizes Group' (Glittering Prizes Group Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Gloxiniflora' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Hyacinth Hybrids' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Pam's Choice' (Pam's Choice Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Pam's Split' (Foxglove 'pam's Split') · D. purpurea 'Primrose Carousel' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Snow Thimble' (Foxglove) · D. purpurea 'Sutton's Apricot' (Sutton's Apricot Foxglove) · D. sibirica (Siberian Foxglove) · D. stewartii (Foxglove) · D. thapsi (Dwarf Spanish Foxglove) · D. trojana (Foxglove) · D. trojana 'Helen of Troy' (Foxglove) · D. viridiflora (Green Foxglove) · D. x mertonensis (Strawberry Foxglove) · D. 'Glory of Roundway' (Foxglove) · D. 'John Innes Tetra' (Digitalis) · D. 'Waldigone' (Foxglove 'waldigone')
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biochemic basis for the study of problems of taxonomy, heredity, evolution, etc., with especial reference to the starches and tissues of parent-stock and hybrid-stocks and the starches and hemoglobi Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1919 url p. 14.
- A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the years 1596-1599 /edited with notes, references to Gerard's Herball, the addition of modern names, and a life of the author, by Benjamin Daydon Jackson. 1876 London: Privately printed, 1876 url p. 32.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 48.
- A dictionary of modern gardening / by George William Johnson. .. with one hundred and eighty wood cuts. Edited, with numerous additions, by David Landreth. Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url p. 508.
- A dictionary of modern gardening. Philadelphia, Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url p. 508.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 202.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 505.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 125.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 93.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 776.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url , .
- A supplement to F. Hamilton Davey's Flora of Cornwall / by Edgar Thurston and Chambré C. Vigurs. Truro: Oscar Blackford, Royal Printeries, 1922. url p. 100.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 50.
- Alpine plants, a practical manual for their culture, with a supplementary essay on The small rock-garden. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1906, 1907. url .
- Alpine plants: a practical method for growing the rarer and more difficult alpine flowers / by W.A. Clark; with illustrations from photographs by Clarence Elliott. London: C. Scribner, 1901. url p. 107.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 327.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 887.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 887.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 179, p. 213, p. 229, p. 240, p. 371, p. 384, p. 556, p. 97.
- Andorra hand-book [of trees and shrubs] Philadelphia url p. 145.
- Annual catalogue of fruit and ornamental trees and plants cultivated at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries / William Prince & Sons, proprietors, Flushing, Long Island, near New-York. [New York: s.n.], 1837 url p. 76.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 30.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 191, p. 240, p. 84.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 6 1922 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 36.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 212.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1904-05 1905 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 12.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 145.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 1914 41 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 122, p. 123, p. 125, p. 177, p. 260, p. 274, p. 289.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 169.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 11, p. 12, p. 14, p. 249, p. 5.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 212.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 260, p. 737.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 260, p. 737.
- Chronological history of plants: man's record of his own existence illustrated through their names, uses, and companionship. Boston, Little, Brown & company, 1879. url .
- Class-book of botany: being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / by Alphonso Wood. New York: A.S. Barnes & Burr, 1861, c1860. url p. 526.
- Collectanea botanica, or, Figures and botanical illustrations of rare and curious exotic plants /by John Lindley. .. 1821-1826 London: Printed by Richard and Arthur Taylor, Shoe-Lane, sold by J. and A. Arch. .., 1821-1826. url , tab. 35.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 532.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 75 1849 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , , p. 3, tab. 3925.
- Edwards, S. T. The Botanical register: consisting of coloured figures of. .. 10 1824 London: Printed for James Ridgway, 1815-1828. url , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- European butterflies and moths. .. Based upon Berge's "Schmetterlingsbuch." By W.F. Kirby. .. London, Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., 1882. url p. 393.
- Everyday objects; or, Picturesque aspects of natural history. .. London, W.P. Nimmo, 1876. url p. 257.
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 171.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 181.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 129.
- Genetics in relation to agriculture, New York, McGraw-Hill; [etc., etc.]1918. url , p. 229.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 397.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 182, p. 183.
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. .. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin. ..entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 86.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 110.
- Horticultural register, and gardener's magazine. Boston, G. D. Barrett [etc.] url p. 143, p. 314.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 296.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 55, p. 840.
- Intracellular pangenesis, including a paper on fertilization and hybridization, by Hugo de Vries. .. tr. from the German by C. Stuart Gager. .. Chicago, The Open Court Publishing Co., 1910. url , p. 181, p. 181, p. 266.
- Intracellulare pangenesis. Von Hugo de Vries. Jena, G. Fischer, 1889. url p. 178.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 249, p. 251.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 48 1910 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 284, p. 9.
- Journal of genetics. Cambridge: University Press, 1910-1977. url , p. 71, p. 72, p. 72, p. 73, p. 73.
- Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society. London: The Society, 1866-1975. url p. 185.
- Landmarks of botanical history, a study of certain epochs in the development of the science of botany. Washington, Smithsonian Inst., 1909- url p. 215.
- Landmarks of botanical history; a study of certain epochs in the development of the science of botany. Part I.--Prior to 1562 A. D. Washington, Smithsonian institution, 1909. url .
- List of herbaceous perennials tested in the arboretum and botanic garden: central experimental farm, Ottawa, Canada, with descriptions of flowers, and other notes by W. T. Macoun. Ottawa: Government Printing Bureau, 1908. url p. 38.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 28, p. 44, p. 55.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 114, p. 116.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 661.
- Miller, P. The gardeners dictionary: containing the best and newest methods of cultivating and improving the kitchen, fruit, flower garden, and nursery, as also for performing the practical parts of agriculture, including the management of vineyards, with the methods of making and preserving wine, according to the present practice of the most skilful vignerons in the several wine countries in Europe, together with directions for propagating and improving, from real practice and experience, all sorts of timber trees /by Philip Miller. 1768 London: Printed for the author and sold by John and Francis Rivington. .. [and 23 others], 1768. url p. DIG-DIG.
- Molecular & general genetics: MGG. Berlin; Springer-Verlag, 1908-2001 url p. 9.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 88.
- Newman's entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1869-1876] url p. 16.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 264.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 483, p. 484, p. 604.
- Plant hybridization before Mendel, by H.F. Roberts. .. Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1929. url , p. 195, p. 260.
- Plant life and evolution, by Douglas Houghton Campbell. New York, H. Holt, 1911. url p. 337, p. 352.
- Plant-breeding; being five lectures upon the amelioration of domestic plants, New York and London, Macmillan and co., 1895. url p. 221, p. 223.
- Poisonous plants of all countries, by A. Bernhard-Smith. London, Baillière, Tindall & Cox, 1923. url p. 103, p. 29.
- Poisonous plants of all countries. With the active, chemical principles which they contain; and the toxic symptoms produced by each group. Bristol [Eng.]J. Wright, 1905. url .
- Preliminary catalog of Anthophyta and Pteridophyta, reported as growing spontaneously within one hundred miles of New York City. New York, 1888. url p. 86.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 86.
- Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Mathematical and physical sciences. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society. url p. 410.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 154, p. 40.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 668.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Reports and papers on botany. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1846-49. url p. 433.
- Riviera nature notes / a popular account of the more striking plants and animals of the Riviera and the Maritime Alps. London: Bernard Quaritch, 1903. url p. 217.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 233.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 54 1910 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 215.
- Spicilegium florae Maroccanae / by John Ball. London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1878. url p. 599.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 156, p. 481.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, Flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / by H. Stuart Thompson; with 33 coloured plates (168 figures) by George Flemwell. London: Dutton, 1912. url , , p. 228.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / [London]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1912. url , .
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 438, p. 45.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 154.
- The American gardener's magazine and register of useful discoveries and improvements in horticulture and rural affairs. Boston: Printed for Russell, Shattuck & Williams, & Hovey & Co., 1835- url p. 327, p. 366.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 422.
- The English rock-garden, by Reginald Farrer. London, Jack, 1919. url p. 303.
- The Entomologist's annual. London: John Van Voorst, 1855-1874. url p. 120.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 89.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , p. 20, p. 576.
- The Garden flowers of the year. LondonReligious Tract Society[1847?] url p. 135.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 115, p. 13, p. 136, p. 16, p. 23, p. 34, p. 374, p. 416, p. 420, p. 439, p. 44, p. 441, p. 442, p. 470, p. 53, p. 62, p. 68, p. 79.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 209.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 307, p. 47.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 712.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 1, p. 100, p. 107, p. 111, p. 143, p. 175, p. 177, p. 195, p. 21, p. 231, p. 272, p. 282, p. 32, p. 32, p. 382, p. 398, p. 406, p. 55, p. 59, p. 64, p. 68, p. 79, p. 795, p. 835, p. 86, p. 96.
- The Germ-plasm: a theory of heredity. Translated by W. Newton Parker and Harriet Rönnfeldt. New YorkScribner1893 url p. 255, p. 268, p. 471.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 104, p. 24.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 5 1846 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 429.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 227, p. 228, p. 293.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 162, p. 179, p. 262, p. 272, p. 40, p. 502, p. 593.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 620, p. 788.
- The alpine flora / by Henry Correvon and Phillippe Robert; translated into English and enlarged, under the author's sanction, by E. W. Clayforth. London: Methuen,  url p. 189.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 182.
- The book of the seasons; or, The calendar of nature. LondonR. Bentley1833 url p. 158.
- The botanic garden; consisting of highly finished representations of hardy ornamental flowering plants, cultivated in Great Britain; with their names, classes, orders, history, qualities, culture, and physiological obse By B. Maund... 1 London: Simpkin & Marshall, 1825- url , .
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 158, p. 162.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 5, p. 5.
- The evolution theory, London, E. Arnold, 1904. url .
- The evolution theory. Translated with the author's co-operation by J. Arthur Thomson and Margaret R. Thomson. LondonE. Arnold1904 url p. 48.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 438, p. 659.
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 81.
- The flora of the Alps: being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. New York: Truslove & Comba, 1898. url p. 81.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, London, J. C. Nimmo, 1896-1900. url .
- The florist cultivator, or, Plain directions for the management of the principal florist flowers, shrubs, etc. etc.: adapted to the flower-garden, shrubbery, and greenhouse: with select lists of the finest roses, geraniums, carnations, pinks, auriculas, polyanthuses, tulips, dahlias, heartsease, &c &c.. .. / by Thomas Willats. London: J. Ridgeway, 1836. url p. 91.
- The flower garden; or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for t by Joseph Breck. New York: A. O. Moore, 1859. url p. 116.
- The flower-garden: or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for th by Joseph Breck. Boston: J. P. Jewett & company, 1851. url p. 116.
- The gardener's kalendar, or, Monthly directory of operations in every branch of horticulture / by Walter Nicol. Dublin: John Cumming, 1812. url p. 618.
- The gardener's kalendar; or, Monthly directory of operations in every branch of horticulture. EdinburghPrinted by D. Wilson for A. Constable1814 url p. 618.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 209.
- The germ-plasm; a theory of heredity, by August Weismann. Tr. by W. Newton Parker and Harriet Rönnfeldt. New York, Scribner's, 1893. url p. 255, p. 268, p. 471.
- The mutation theory; experiments and observations on the origin of species in the vegetable kingdom, by Hugo de Vries. .. tr. by Prof. J. B. Farmer and A. D. Darbishire. .. Chicago, Open Court Publishing Company; [etc., etc.]1909-10. url , , p. 487, p. 491.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 245, p. 269, p. 66.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1010.
- The tourist's flora: a descriptive catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of the British Islands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and the Italian islands / London: Reeve and Benham, 1850. url p. 267.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 274.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 11, p. 9.
- Variation in animals and plants, by H.M. Vernon. .. New York, H. Holt and company, 1902. url p. 163.
- Variation in animals and plants. New York: H. Holt, 1903. url p. 163.
- Vegetable teratology, an account of the principal deviations from the usual construction of plants, by Maxwell T. Masters. .. With numerous illus. by E.M. Williams. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 522, p. 60.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 400, p. 401.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 9253, p. 9260.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, CIBIO, Alicante:ABH-GBIF
- GBIF-Spain, Dirección General de Investigación, Desarrollo Tecnológico e Innovación de la Junta de Extremadura(DGIDTI): HSS
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario Universidad de Málaga: MGC-Cormófitos
- GBIF-Spain, Jardi Botanic de Valencia: VAL
- GBIF-Spain, Jardín Botánico de Córdoba: Herbarium COA
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Univ. Herbarium SALAMANCA: SALA
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad del País Vasco/EHU, Bilbao: Herbario BIO
- GBIF-Spain, Universitat de Girona: HGI-Cormophyta
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, Justus-Liebig-Universitat Giessen
- SysTax, SysTax
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2655932
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-33584
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:802039-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 13980
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 33584
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDSCR0M030
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: DILU
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 32144
- "Digitalis". in Flora of China Vol. 18 Page 53. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 273.970 meters (898.852 feet), Standard Deviation = 231.270 based on 1,195 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]