The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
nial herbs, sometimes basally woody shrublets
. Leaves alternate, pinnately shallowly to deeply dissected
or occasionally entire. Capitula radiate
, heterogamous, solitary, terminal
or few to many and laxly corymbose
. Involucre ± saucer-shaped
, 3-seriate, phyllaries imbricate, broadly membranous or dark brown margined
. Receptacle convex
to somewhat conical
, ± punctate-tuberculate, epaleate. Ray-florets uniseriate
, female, fertile
, with white, pink or yellowish ligules. Disc-florets bisexual
, yellow, with tubular-conical, glandular
, 5-lobed, unwinged corolla tube
lacking basal appendages
, with subtriangular
apical appendages. Cypselas homomorphic
, obconic-obovoid, 5-8-ribbed, thin-walled, usually with myxogenic cells
. Pappus absent.
Species 37, distributed mainly in China, Japan, Korea, Mangolia, Indo-Pakistan subcontinent, Central Asian States and East Europe. Represented in Pakistan by the following species, usually in cultivation but as escape also.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Lindley, 1833
- Family: Compositae () - Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Dendranthema
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
D. arcticum (Arctic Daisy) · D. arcticum polare (Arctic Daisy) · D. cultivars (Striped Drummer) · D. grandiflorum (Florist's Daisy) · D. grandiflorum 'Shamrock' (Garden Mums) · D. indicum (Mother's Daisy) · D. x (Florist's Chrysanthemum) · D. X grandiflorum (Florist's Daisy) · D. x morifolium (Florist's Chrysanthemum) · D. zawadskii'Clara Curtis' (Clara Curtis Chrysanthemum) · D. 'Bolero' (Chrysanthemum) · D. 'Obession' (Chrysanthemum) · D. 'Samba' (Chrysanthemum)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed January 27, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.