Common Names in English:
, small trees
, or climbers
. Stems sometimes prickly, rarely thorny; hairs
, branched, or stellate
, sometimes glandular
. Leaves alternate, solitary or paired
, simple or pinnately compound
, without stipules; leaf blade
, or divided
. Inflorescences terminal
, overtopped by continuing axes, appearing axillary
, or leaf opposed, often apparently umbellate
, racemose, paniculate
, clustered, or solitary flowers, rarely true cymes, sometimes bracteate
. Flowers mostly bisexual
, usually regular, 5-merous, rarely 4- or 6-9-merous. Calyx mostly lobed. Petals united
. Stamens as many as corolla lobes
and alternate with them, inserted
within corolla, all alike or 1 or more reduced; anthers
dehiscing longitudinally or by apical pores
. Ovary 2-5-locular; placentation mostly axile
; ovules usually numerous
. Style 1. Fruiting calyx often becoming enlarged, mostly persistent
. Fruit a berry or capsule. Seeds with copious
endosperm; embryo mostly curved
About 95 genera with 2300 species: best represented in western tropical America, widespread in temperate and tropical regions ; 20 genera (ten introduced ) and 101 species in China.
Some species of Solanaceae are known in China only by plants cultivated in ornamental or specialty gardens: Atropa belladonna Linnaeus, Cyphomandra betacea (Cavanilles) Sendtner, Brugmansia suaveolens (Willdenow) Berchtold & Presl, Nicotiana alata Link & Otto, and Solanum jasminoides Paxton.
. Leaves petiolate
; leaf blade
simple, entire or sinuate-dentate. Inflorescences solitary flowers in leaf axils
or in branch
forks; peduncle, bracts, and bracteoles absent. Flowers actinomorphic
, large. Pedicel often stout. Calyx long tubular
, often circumscissile near base
. Corolla elongated, funnelform
mostly elongated, dehiscing longitudinally, included
. Ovary 2-4-locular. Fruit a dry capsule, 4-valved or irregularly dehiscent
, prickly or unarmed
, often subtended by remnants of persistent
calyx. Seeds numerous
, laterally compressed
; embryo curved
About 11 species: North and South America, three species in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Solananae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Datura
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 47 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
D. arborea (Maikoa) · D. bernhardtii (Devils Trumpet) · D. candida (Angel's-Trumpet) · D. ceratocaula (Devils Trumpet) · D. discolor (Desert Thorn Apple) · D. fastuosa 'Double Golden' (Devils Trumpet) · D. inermis (Smoooth Thorn-Apple) · D. innoxia (Angel's Trumpet) · D. inoxia (Devils Trumpet) · D. inoxia inoxia (Downy Thornapple) · D. inoxia 'Evening Fragrance' (Datura) · D. inoxia 'Missouri Marble' (Variegated Evening Trumpet) · D. kymatocarpa (Datura) · D. leichhardtii (Devils Trumpet) · D. metaloides (Jimsonweed) · D. metel var. fastuosa (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel var. muricata (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Alba' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Aurea' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Ballerina Purple' (Ballerina Purple Angel's Trumpet) · D. metel 'Ballerina Yellow' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Belle Blanche' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Black Currant Swirl' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Cornucopaea' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Double Cream' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Double Golden Queen' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Double Lavender' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Double Purple' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Double White Lady' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Frilled Double Purple' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Purple Petticoats' (Devils Trumpet) · D. metel 'Triple Yellow' (Devils Trumpet) · D. pruinosa (Datura) · D. quercifolia (Chinese Datura) · D. reburra (Datura) · D. seraticaula (Devils Trumpet) · D. stramonium (Jamestown Weed) · D. stramonium subsp. stramonium (Purple Thorn-Apple) · D. stramonium var. stramonium (Common Thorn-Apple) · D. suaveolens (Angel's Trumpet Tree) · D. tatula var. inermis (Devils Trumpet) · D. versicolor (Peach Angel's-Trumpet) · D. wrightii (Devils Trumpet) · D. wrightii 'High Altitude Form' (Devils Trumpet) · D. x candida (Angel's Trumpet) · D. 'Eryngium Blue' (Devils Trumpet) · D. 'Lilac Le Fleur' (Common Thorn-Apple)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- A catalogue of the plants growing in Bombay and its vicinty; spontaneous, cultivated or introduced, as far as they have been ascertained. / By John Graham. Bombay:Government Press, 1839. url p. 277.
- A complete dictionary of practical gardening: comprehending all the modern improvements in the art; whether in the raising of the various esculent vegetables, or in the forcing and managing of different sorts of fruits and plants, and that of lay By Alexander McDonald [pseud.] London, 1807. url .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 136.
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 475.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 507.
- A popular California flora, or, Manual of botany for beginners. Containing descriptions of flowering plants growing in central California, and westward to the ocean. With illustrated introductory lessons, especially adapted to the Pacific coast. By Volney Rattan. .. San Francisco, A.L. Bancroft and Company, 1885 [c1882] url p. 88.
- A popular California flora: or, Manual of botany for beginners, with illustrated introductory lessons, especially adapted to the Pacific coast; to which is added an Analytical key to west coast botany / San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1896. url .
- A popular California flora: or, manual of botany for beginners. ..: to which is added an Analytical key to west coast botany. .. / San Francisco: Bancroft, 1892. url .
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 693.
- A short treatise on horticulture: embracing descriptions of a great variety of fruit and ornamental trees and shrubs, grape vines, bulbous flowers, greenhouse trees and plants, &., nearly all of which are at present comprised in the c By William Prince. New-York, Printed by T. and J.Swords, 1828. url , p. 174.
- A treatise on the theory and practice of landscape gardening, adapted to North America: with a view to the improvement of country residences; with remarks on rural architecture / by A.J. Downing. New York: C.M. Saxton, 1856. url p. 497.
- A year of Costa Rican natural history, by Amelia Smith Calvert. .. and Philip Powell Calvert. .. with maps and illustrations. New York, The Macmillan company, 1917. url p. 154, p. 547, p. 86.
- American flower-garden directory: containing practical directions for the culture of plants in the hot-house, garden-house, flower garden, and rooms or parlours, for every month in the year. .. Instructions for erecting a hot-house, g by Hibbert and Buist. .. Philadelphia: Printed for the authors by Adam Waldie, 1832. url p. 17.
- American medicinal plants; an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry and physiological effects. By Charles F. Millspaugh. 1887 New York, Boericke & Tafel, c1887. url page 125- 2.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 933.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 933.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 206, p. 458.
- An introduction to the modern classification of insects: founded on the natural habits and corresponding organisation of the different families / by J. O. Westwood. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, Paternoster-Row, 1839-1840 url p. 214.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 360.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 170.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url , , p. 407, p. 409, p. 561, p. 562, p. 563, p. 566.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url , .
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 21 1966 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 236, p. 273, p. 279, p. 379, p. 380, p. 5.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 223, p. 248, p. 314.
- Botanical and physiological memoirs, consisting of I.--The phenomenon of rejuvenescence in nature, especially in the life and development of plants. By Dr. A. Braun. Tr. by A. Henfrey. .. II.--On the animal nature of the Diatomeæ, with an organographical revision of the genera established by Kützing. By Professor G. Meneghini. Tr. by Christopher J London: Printed for the Ray Society, 1853. url p. 78.
- Botany for ladies; or, A popular introduction to the natural system of plants, according to the classification of De Candolle. By Mrs. Loudon. London, J. Murray, 1842. url p. 153.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 111, p. 2, p. 45, p. 625, p. 7, p. 703, p. 91.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 4 1905-1907 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 425.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 38 1911 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 483.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 1 1835 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 116.
- Comparative ecology and mimetic relationships of ithomiine butterflies in eastern Ecuador / by Boyce Alexander Drummond III. 1976. url p. 281.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 23 1920-1926 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 1284, p. 1285, p. 373, p. 517.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 687, p. 72.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 118 1892 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , tab. 4252, tab. 4252.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 461.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 33.
- Flora calpensis; contributions to the botany and topography of Gibraltar, and its neighbourhood. By E. F. Kelaart. London, J. van Voorst, 1846. url p. 132.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 339.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1938 Chicago, 1937. url p. 1055.
- Flora of Guatemala / Johnnie L. Gentry, Paul C. Standley. 24 1974 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1974. url p. 38, p. 40.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Louis O. Williams. 24 1969 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1969. url p. 341.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1962 Chicago, [Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 77, p. 78.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 717.
- Flora's dictionary / by a lady. Baltimore: Published by Fielding Lucas Jr., 1832. url , .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 234, p. 283, p. 389.
- Gardening for amateurs; a simple, complete, and practical guide for garden lovers, edited by H. H. Thomas. Illustrated by twenty-four coloured plates and many hundreds of photographs and sketches. New York: Funk and Wagnalls company,  url p. 1120, p. 734.
- Gardening for ladies, and, Companion to the flower-garden / by Mrs. Loudon. New York: John Wiley, 1851. url p. 185.
- Gardening in California, San Francisco, A. M. Robertson, 1914. url p. 95.
- Gardening in California, landscape and flower, by John McLaren... San Francisco, A. M. Robertson, 1909. url p. 94, p. 94.
- Gray's lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by over 360 wood engravings, from original drawings, by Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co. url .
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 433, p. 732.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 15.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of plants. New York: P. Henderson, 1881. url p. 31.
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url .
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, by Helen R. Albee; illustrated from photographs. New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url .
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 58.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants. By Peter Henderson. New York: P. Henderson & Co., 1881. url p. 31.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 304, p. 36.
- Hortus Mortolensis: enumeratio plantarum in Horto Mortolensi cultarum = Alphabetical catalogue of plants growing in the garden of the late Sir Thomas Hanbury. .. at La Mortola, Ventimiglia, Italy / compiled by Alwin Berger. London: West, Newman, 1912. url p. 385.
- Hortus addlestonensis, or, A descriptive catalogue of plants, &c. / cultivated and sold by John Cree, at Addlestone Nursery, Chertsey, Surrey; containing the botanic and English names, with numerous synonyms; the natural order, and Linnean class and order, of each g London: Printed for Hurst, Chance, and Co.. .., 1829. url p. 42.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 518.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 100, p. 111, p. 115, p. 259, p. 542.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 12 1901 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 242.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 303.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 15 1914 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 261, p. 264, p. 271, p. 288, p. 97.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 336.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 182, p. 183, p. 186, p. 553.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 195, p. 2.
- Kingsbridge and its surroundings. By S.P. Fox. Plymouth: Printed for the compiler by G.P. Friend, 1874. url p. 106.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Sydney Howard Vines. . Cambridge, Cambridgeshire: The University Press, 1886 url p. 77.
- List of duplicate plants in the Government Botanic Gardens, November 1874. Port-of-Spain: G.P.O., 1874. url p. 5.
- Lives of labour; or, Incidents in the career of eminent naturalists and celebrated travellers. By C.L. Brightwell. .. London, T. Nelson and sons, 1872. url p. 168.
- Loudon, J. C. Loudon's Hortus britannicus.A catalogue of all the plants indigenous, cultivated in, or introduced to Britain. Part I. The Linnaean arrangement... Part II. The Jussieuean arrangement... /Edited by J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1830. url p. 60.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 195, p. 195.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (the mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) Chicago: Ivison, Phinney; 1863, c1862. url .
- Memoir and correspondence of the late Sir James Edward Smith, Ed. by Lady Smith. London, Longman, Rees, Orne Brown, Green and Longman, 1832. url p. 519.
- Memoir on the physical and political geography of New Granada. New York, T. Dwight, 1853. url p. 101.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 14.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 397, p. 424, p. 468.
- Notes on the natural history of the Strait of Magellan and west coast of Patagonia made during the voyage of H.M.S. Nassau in the years 1866, 67, 68, & 69; Edinburgh, Edmonston and Douglas, 1871. url p. 611.
- Notes on western range forbs: Equisetaceae through Fumariaceae / by William A. Dayton. Washington, D.C.: Forest Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1960. url p. 107.
- Nuttall, T. The genera of North American plants, and a catalogue of the species, to the year 1817.By Thomas Nuttall. 1 1818 Philadelphia:Printed for the author by D. Heartt, 1818. url p. 131.
- On the elaioplasts in mono- and dicotyledonous plants. --On special cellular bodies which form Anthocyanine. --On a special cellular body found in two orchids. Pavia, 1914 url .
- On the vegetation of the Bermudas by J. Matthew Jones. S.l.: s.n., 1874? url .
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url .
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 75.
- Parks: a manual of municipal and county parks compiled as a result of a nation-wide study of municipal and county parks conducted by the Playground and Recreation Association of America, in co-operation with edited by L.H. Weir. New York: A.S. Barnes & Co., 1928. url p. 683, p. 684, p. 685, p. 686.
- Periodical catalogue of greenhouse shrubs, vines, herbaceous plants, and bulbous roots: cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden, Flushing, near New-York / William Prince & Sons, proprietors. New York: s.n., 1832. url p. 130.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 443.
- Poisonous plants of all countries, by A. Bernhard-Smith. London, Baillière, Tindall & Cox, 1923. url p. 2.
- Poisonous plants of all countries. With the active, chemical principles which they contain; and the toxic symptoms produced by each group. Bristol [Eng.]J. Wright, 1905. url .
- Postelsia: the year book of the Minnesota Seaside Station. St. Paul, Minn.: Pioneer Press, 1902-1906. url .
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 265.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 301.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , p. 213, p. 523.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url p. 216, p. 69.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 70.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 45.
- Reflections on the phenomenon of rejuvenescence in nature, especially in the life and development of plants. Leipzig, 1851. url .
- Riviera nature notes / a popular account of the more striking plants and animals of the Riviera and the Maritime Alps. London: Bernard Quaritch, 1903. url p. 217.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 571.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 606.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 622.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 388.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 122, p. 153.
- Sweet's Hortus britannicus: or a catalogue of plants cultivated in the gardens of Great Britain, arranged in natural orders / by Robert Sweet. London: J. Ridgway, 1826. url p. 297.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 51.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 121, p. 278.
- The American flower garden directory: containing practical directions for the culture of plants, in the hot-house, garden-house, flower garden and rooms and parlours, for every month in the year. .. Instructions for erecting a hot-house, By Hibbert and Buist. Philadelphia: E.L. Carey & A. Hart, 1834. url p. 17.
- The American gardener's calendar; adapted to the climates and seasons of the United States. Containing a complete account of all the work necessary to be done. .. for every month in the year; with ample practical directions for performing the same. .. By Bernard M'Mahon. Philadelphia, Printed by B. Graves, no. 40, North Fourth-Street, for the author, 1806. url p. 631.
- The American journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1867-1869. url , p. 362.
- The American journal of science. 36 1839 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 19, p. 19, p. 255.
- The American quarterly journal of agriculture and science. [S.l.: s.n.], 1845-1846 url p. 223.
- The Bahama Islands / edited by George Burbank Shattuck. New York: Macmillan, 1905. url , p. 263, p. 263, p. 610.
- The Bahama Islands, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1905. url p. 263, p. 609, p. 610.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 459, p. 595, p. 700, p. 771.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Calif.: F.A. Miller & Co., 1870- url p. 23, p. 23.
- The Catholic yearbook: comprehending, the circle of the seasons and key to the calendar and almanac, or the natural history, religious festivals and miscellaneous customs of the whole year adapted for all succeeding years; [by Thomas Ignatius Maria Forster] London: Keating and Brown, 1833. url p. 322.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url .
- The English flower garden and home grounds; design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture, by W. Robinson. .. Illustrated with many engravings on wood. London: J. Murray, 1900. url p. 519.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 4.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , p. 677, p. 719.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 122, p. 173, p. 220, p. 245, p. 284, p. 284, p. 373, p. 404, p. 423, p. 476, p. 53, p. 569, p. 89.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 209.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url , , p. 222, p. 222, p. 261, p. 261, p. 380, p. 386, p. 386, p. 386, p. 386, p. 41, p. 41, p. 6, p. 6, p. 88.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1844 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url , p. 1040, p. 603, p. 684, p. 736, p. 928.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 505, p. iv.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , , , p. 10, p. 122, p. 129, p. 140, p. 160, p. 187, p. 246, p. 270, p. 286, p. 299, p. 322, p. 337, p. 34, p. 349, p. 42, p. 43, p. 443, p. 458, p. 51, p. 65, p. 742, p. 764, p. 78.
- The Genesee farmer. Rochester, N.Y.: [L. Tucker], 1831- url p. 197.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url .
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 397, p. 424, p. 468.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 187, p. 188, p. 188, p. 190.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , , p. 163, p. 163, p. 184, p. 187, p. 298, p. 312, p. 335, p. 362, p. 433, p. 493, p. 504, p. 6.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 173.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 45 1920-22 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 419, p. 49.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 1027.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url , p. 312, p. 33, p. 335, p. 368, p. 39.
- The U.S. Naval Astronomical Expedition to the southern hemisphere, during the years 1849-'50-'51-'52. Lieut. J. M. Gilliss, superintendent. .. Vol. I, II, III, VI. .. Washington: A. O. P. Nicholson, printer, 1855-56. url p. 270, p. 548, p. 80.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 35.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 153, p. 389.
- The different forms of flowers on plants of the same species. New York, D. Appleton, 1903. url .
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The flower and the bee; plant life and pollination, LondonConstable1919 url p. 139, p. 281.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 122, p. 245.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 14.
- The geographical, natural, and civil history of Chili. Translated from the original Italian of the Abbe Don J. Ignatius Molina. To which are added, notes from the Spanish and French versions, and two appendixes, by the English editor. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, 1809. url p. 294.
- The practical American gardener; Baltimore, F. Lucas, jr., 1819. url p. 394.
- The principles of practical gardening. London: R. Baldwin, 1845. url p. 190.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3587, p. 971.
- The villa gardener; comprising the choice of a suburban villa residence; the laying out, planting, and culture of the garden and grounds; and the management of the villa farm, including the dairy and poultry-yard. .. By J. C. Loudon. London, W. S. Orr & co., 1850. url p. 125.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 422.
- Travels of Ruiz, Pavón, and Dombey in Peru and Chile (1777-1788) / by Hipólito Ruiz; with an epilogue and official documents added by Agustín Jesús Barreiro; translation by B.E. Dahlgren. 21 1940 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1940. url p. 307, p. 313.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 1284, p. 1285.
- Tropical nature; an account of the most remarkable phenomena of life in the western tropics. Compiled from the narratives of distinguished travellers and observers. New YorkNelson[187-?] url p. 28.
- Vegetable teratology, an account of the principal deviations from the usual construction of plants, by Maxwell T. Masters. .. With numerous illus. by E.M. Williams. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 522.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 1006, p. 384, p. 479, p. 971.
- West Coast botany: an analytical key to the flora of the Pacific Coast in which are described over eighteen hundred species of flowering plants growing west of the Sierra Nevada and Cascade crests, from San Diego to Pug by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1898. url p. 60.
- Kuang Ko-zen & Lu An-ming, eds. 1978. Solanaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 67(1): 1-175.
- Kuang Ko-zen & Lu An-ming, eds. 1978. Solanaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 67(1): 1-175.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2779653
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13759079
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 815532-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 3933122
- Zhi-Yun Zhang, Anmin Lu & William G. D'Arcy "Solanaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 300. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Datura". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 330. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]