Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Broom, Clustered Broom, Hairy Broom
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Romanian:
Drob De Munte
Common Names in Russian:
Rakitnik Nizki, Rakitnik Skuchennyi, Rakitnik Volosistyi, Rakitnik Zhestkovolosistyi
Habit: Shrub • Climbing: Not Climbing
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: orange, yellow
Size: 6-12" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,287 meters (0 to 4,222 feet).
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
Chamaecytisus Aggregatus • Chamaecytisus ciliatus (Wahlenb.)rothm. • Chamaecytisus hirsutissimus (K. Koch)czerep. • Chamaecytisus hirsutus (L.)link • Chamaecytisus leucotrichus (Schur)czerep. • Chamaecytisus supinus (L.)link • Chamaecytisus supinus aggregatus (Schur)a. & D. Love • Cytisus aggregatus Schur • Cytisus alpestris Schur • Cytisus capitatus Scop. • Cytisus colchicus Albov • Cytisus falcatus Waldst. & Kit. • Cytisus gallicus A. Kern. • Cytisus hirsutus ciliatus (Wahlenb.)asch. & Graebn. • Cytisus hirsutus hirsutus L. • Cytisus hirsutus leucotrichus (Schur)asch. & Graebn. • Cytisus hirsutus ponticus Nyman • Cytisus leucotrichus (Schur)schur • Cytisus prostratus Scop. • Cytisus pumilus De Not. • Genista capitata (Scop.)scheele • Genista hirta elongata (Scheele)rouy • Genista supina (L.)scheele
Members of the genus Cytisus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 35 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. dallimorei (Dallimore's Spanishbroom) · C. decumbens (Prostrate Broom) · C. fontanesii (Bolina) · C. hirsutus (Broom) · C. monspessulana (French Broom Cytisus Monspessulana) · C. multiflorus (Escoba Blanca) · C. nigricans (Black Broom) · C. praecox (Warminster Broom) · C. praecox 'Hollandia' (Common Broom) · C. proliferus (Escabon) · C. purgans 'Spanish Gold' (Broom) · C. purpureus 'Atropurpureus' (Purple Broom) · C. scoparius (Amber Elf Dwarf Broom) · C. scoparius f. andreanus (Broom) · C. scoparius scoparius (European Broom) · C. scoparius scoparius var. scoparius (English Broom) · C. scoparius var. andreanus (English Broom) · C. scoparius 'Burkwoodii' (Burkwood Broom) · C. scoparius 'Firefly' (Scotch Broom) · C. scoparius 'Madame Butterfly' (Scotch Broom) · C. scoparius 'Moonlight' (Moonlight Scotch Broom) · C. striatus (Hairy-Fruited Broom) · C. villosus (Hairybroom) · C. x beanii (Dwarf Broom) · C. x dallimorei (Scotch Broom) · C. x kewensis (Kew Broom) · C. x praecox (Warminster Broom) · C. x praecox 'Allgold' (Allgold Broom) · C. × spachianus (Sweet Broom) · C. x 'Lena' (Lena Scotch Broom) · C. x 'Lilac Time' (Lilac Time Scotch Broom) · C. x 'Minstead' (Minstead Scotch Broom) · C. 'Andreanus' (English Broom) · C. 'La Coquette' (Broom) · C. 'Lena' (Scotch Broom)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A complete dictionary of practical gardening: comprehending all the modern improvements in the art; whether in the raising of the various esculent vegetables, or in the forcing and managing of different sorts of fruits and plants, and that of lay By Alexander McDonald [pseud.] London, 1807. url .
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 156.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 156.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url , .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L.H. Pammel. Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Torch Press, 1910-1911. url p. 90.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 331.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 96.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 899, p. 903.
- An encyclopaedia of trees and shrubs: being the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum abridged: containing the hardy trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, by J. C. Loudon. London: F. Warne; 1869. url , p. 219, p. 224.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 899, p. 903.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 519.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia, and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1913. url p. 350.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 276.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url .
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 22 1933 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 5.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 140.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1918 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 275.
- Contributions to the flora of Mentone, and to a winter flora of the Riviera, including the coast from Marseilles to Genoa, by J. Traherne Moggridge. .. London: L. Reeve, 1871. url p. 119.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 111 1885 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 442.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 280.
- Garden trees and shrubs illustrated in colour. By Walter P. Wright. London: Headley brothers,  url p. 177.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 294, p. 308.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1271.
- Hortus lignosus londinensis: or, A catalogue of all the ligneous plants, indigenous and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, cultivated in the gardens and grounds in the neighbourhood of London: with all their synonymes, scientific and By J. C. Loudon. London, The author, 1838. url p. 28.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url .
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url , p. iv.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 20 1919 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 15, p. 246, p. 331.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 19, p. 32.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , p. 33, p. 48, p. 52, p. 60, p. 70.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 115.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 412.
- Ornamental shrubs of the United States (hardy, cultivated) Cincinnati [etc]American Book Company[c1910] url , .
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 397, p. 707, p. 887.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, Flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / by H. Stuart Thompson; with 33 coloured plates (168 figures) by George Flemwell. London: Dutton, 1912. url p. 118.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / [London]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1912. url .
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1162, p. 1241.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 320.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 351.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 354.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 527.
- The English gardener; or, A treatise on the situation, soil, enclosing and laying-out of kitchen gardens. .. concluding with a kalendar, giving instructions relative to the sowings, plantings, prunings. .. in each month of By William Cobbett. London, The author, 1829. url .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 177, p. 314, p. 425.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. 2 1874 London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 106, p. 225, p. 304, p. 376, p. 376, p. 400, p. 522, p. 75, p. 768.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 412.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 41 1912-13 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 113, p. 28.
- The Universal herbal; or, Botanical, medical, and agricultural dictionary; containing an account of all the known plants in the world, arranged according to the Linnean system. Specifying the uses to which they are or may be applied, whether as food, as medicine, or in the a London, Caxton Press url p. 865.
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 71.
- The flora of the Alps: being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. New York: Truslove & Comba, 1898. url p. 71.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, by Alfred W. Bennett. .. London, Nimmo, 1900. url p. 71.
- The names of herbes, A.D. 1548. Edited, with an introd., an index of English names, and an indentification of the plants enumerated by Turner, LondonPublished for the English Dialect Society by N. Trübner1881 url p. 128.
- The new botanic garden, illustrated with one hundred and thirty-three plants, engraved by Sansom, from the original pictures, and coloured with the greatest exactness from drawings by Sydenham Edwards... London, J. Stockdale, 1812. url p. 147.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2690, p. 947, p. 949.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 459, p. 462.
- Trees and shrubs: an abridgment of the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum: containing the hardy trees and schrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described: with their propagation, cultu London: F. Warne & Co.; 1875. url , .
- Winter botany, a companion volume to the author's Plant materials of decorative gardening, by William Trelease. .. Urbana, The author, 1918. url p. 146.
- Winter botany, by William Trelease. .. Urbana, The author, 1918. url p. 146, p. 148.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 06, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- ILDIS World Database of Legumes. Release date: May 1, 2007
- ILDIS World Database of LegumesNov 10, 2005.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 02, 2007:
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2863402
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ILD-5992
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13623478
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:489768-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 428125