Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Chinese:
Xi Zang Bai Mu
Common Names in English:
, monoecious or dioecious. Leaves decussate or in whorls of 3, scalelike and then often dimorphic
with flattened facial leaves and keeled
leaves, or needlelike particularly in juvenile plants
, often with an abaxial
. Pollen cones terminal
, solitary, maturing and shed annually; microsporophylls
6-16, decussate or whorled
, each bearing (2 or) 3-6(-9) pollen sacs
; pollen wingless. Seed cones usually terminal, solitary, globose
, or oblong
or indehiscent when mature
in 1st or 2nd(or 3rd) year; cone scales developing after ovules originate in bract axils; bracts almost completely enveloped by cone scales, free
only at apex; ovules 1-numerous per bract axil, erect
; cone scales of mature cones 3-16, flat or peltate, woody, leathery, or succulent, 1-20-seeded. Seeds winged
or not; wings
derived from seed coat
. Cotyledons usually 2, rarely 3-6. Germination epigeal.
Nineteen genera and ca. 125 species: worldwide; eight genera (one introduced ) and 46 species (16 endemic, 13 introduced) in China.
or large shrubs
, in decussate arrays (or partially comblike in Cupressus macnabiana ). Leaves opposite in 4 ranks
to divergent, scalelike, rhomboid
portion of long-shoot leaves to 4 mm; abaxial
present or absent. Pollen cones with 4--10 pairs of sporophylls, each sporophyll with 3--10 pollen sacs
. Seed cones maturing in 1--2 years, generally persisting closed
many years or until opened by fire, globose
, 1--4 cm; scales
, 3--6 pairs, valvate
, peltate, thick and woody. Seeds 5--20 per scale, lenticular
, narrowly 2-winged; cotyledons 2--5. x
Species 10--26: warm north temperate regions .
The genus Cupressus in North America consists mainly of small, disjunct , relictual populations, many differing from related populations in color and size of leaves and seeds, activity of leaf glands , glaucousness of various parts, form of growth, and characteristics of bark . Disagreements on the number and rank of taxa reflect these variations . This treatment, with seven taxa, approaches the more conservative end of a spectrum; anywhere from 6 to 15 taxa---species, subspecies , and varieties---might be accepted in the flora . The taxonomy of the genus would benefit from detailed studies of variation in and among populations (cf. J. F. Goggans and C. E. Posey 1968).
The Mediterranean Cupressus sempervirens Linnaeus, usually with a fastigiate habit, is commonly cultivated in California, often away from dwellings, but it does not appear to have become naturalized . Other introduced Eurasian and Mexican species are clearly associated with cultivated landscapes.
Habit: Evergreen .
Size: 15-20' tall.
Culture: Space 4-6' apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Burnett
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Cupressus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 53 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. arizonica (Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica arizonica var. arizonica (Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica Greene var. glabra (Sudw.) Little (Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica nevadensis (Piute Cypress) · C. arizonica stephensonii (Cuyamaca Cypress) · C. arizonica var. Blue Ice (Blue Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica var. glabra 'Carolina Sapphire' (Carolina Sapphire Cypress) · C. arizonica var. montana (San Pedro Martir Cypress) · C. arizonica var. montana 'Blue Column' (San Pedro Martir Cypress) · C. arizonica var. nevadensis (Piute Cypress) · C. arizonica var. stephensonii (Cuyamaca Cypress) · C. arizonica 'Blue Pyramid' (Blue Pyramid Cypress) · C. arizonica 'Carolina Sapphire' (Carolina Sapphire Cypress) · C. bakeri (Baker's Cypress) · C. bakeri matthewsii (Siskiyou Cypress) · C. cashmeriana (Kashmir Cypress) · C. chengiana (Chengs Cypress) · C. duclouxiana (Chinese Cypress) · C. dupreziana (Saharan Cypress) · C. dupreziana var. atlantica (Atlas Cypress) · C. funebris (Chinese Weeping Cypress) · C. glabra arizonica (Arizona Smooth Cypress) · C. glabra 'Carolina Sapphire' (Arizona Cypress) · C. glabra 'Chaparral' (Arizona Cypress) · C. glabra 'Silver Smoke' (Silver Smoke Arizona Cypress) · C. goveniana (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana Gordon var. goveniana (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana pygmaea (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana var. abramsiana (Santa Cruz Cypress) · C. goveniana var. goveniana (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana var. pygmaea (Pygmy Cypress) · C. guadalupensis (Forbes Cypress) · C. guadalupensis var. forbesii (Tecate Cypress) · C. lusitanica (Cedar of Goa) · C. macnabiana (Macnab Cypress) · C. macnabiana A.Murray bis var. bakeri (Jeps.) Jeps. (Fragrant Cypress) · C. macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Goldcrest' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Golden Pillar' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Greenstead Magnificent' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Lutea' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Saligna Aurea' (Monterey Cypress) · C. sargentii (Sargent Cypress) · C. sempervirens (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens f. horizontalis (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens f. sempervirens (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens var. stricta (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Glauca' (Blue Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Green Pencil' (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Monshel' (Tiny Tower® Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Swane's Golden' (Swane's Golden Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Totem' (Dwarf Italian Cypress) · C. torulosa (Himalayan Cypress)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of the coniferae: containing a general review of the order; a synopsis of the hardy kinds cultivated in Great Britain; their place and use in horticulture, etc., etc. [London]: James Veitch & Sons, 1881. url p. 239.
- A discussion of Australian forestry: with special references to forestry in Western Australia, the necessity of an Australian forest policy, and notices of organised forestry in other parts of the world / by D. E. Hutchins. Perth, F. W. Simpson, government printer, 1916. url p. 251, p. 252.
- A handbook of Coniferae, including Ginkgoaceæ, by W. Dallimore and A. Bruce Jackson. With drawings by Miss G. Lister. New York, Longmans, Green, 1923. url p. 192, p. 194, p. 224, p. 225.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 695.
- A manual of botany for Indian forest students, by R. S. Hole. Calcutta, Superintendent Government Printing, India, 1909. url p. 136, p. 15, p. 245, p. 246, p. 332.
- A manual of the Coniferae, containing a general review of the order; a synopsis of the hardy kinds cultivated in Great Britain; their place and use in horticulture, etc., etc. With numerous woodcuts and illustrations. Chelsea, 1881. url , .
- A manual of the timbers of the world: their characteristics and uses: to which is appended an account by S. Fitzgerald of the artificial seasoning of timber. London: Macmillan, 1920. url , , .
- A naturalist in Western China: with vasculum, camera, and gun, being some account of eleven year's travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the flowery kingdom; with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent. London, Methuen url p. 153, p. 189, p. 193, p. 20.
- A naturalist in western China, with vasculum, camera, and gun; being some account of eleven years' travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the Flowery kingdom, by Ernest Henry Wilson...with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent...With one hundred and one full-page illustrations and a map. London, Methuen & co., ltd. url p. 153, p. 189, p. 195, p. 20.
- A practical treatise on tree culture in South Australia. Adelaide, Printed and lithographed by E. Spiller, Government Printer, 1881. url .
- A supplement to Gordon's Pinetum: containing descriptions and additional synonymes of all the coniferous plants not before enumerated in that work; with corrections up to the present time / by George Gordon. London: H. G. Bohn, 1862. url p. 26, p. 27, p. 34, p. 57.
- A treatise on the theory and practice of landscape gardening, adapted to North America; with a view to the improvement of country residences... With remarks on rural architecture. New York, Orange Judd Agricultural Book Publisher, 1865. url , .
- About trees, shrubs, and climbing plants for South Africa; concise hints on the making of farm plantations, shrubberies. .. Maritzburg, 1919. url p. 76.
- Alpines and bog-plants / by Reginald Farrer. London, Arnold, 1908. url .
- Alpines and bog-plants, London, E. Arnold, 1908. url , .
- American flower-garden directory: containing practical directions for the culture of plants in the flower-garden, hot-house, green-house, rooms, or parlour windows. .. / by Robert Buist. New York: Orange Judd, 1854. url p. 327, p. 327.
- American forests. Washington [etc.]American Forestry Association [etc.] url p. 572.
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 683.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 6.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 2488.
- Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London: Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 2488, p. 2488.
- Aspects of nature, in different lands and different climates; with scientific elucidations. By Alexander von Humboldt. Translated by Mrs. Sabine. Philadelphia, Lea and Blanchard, 1849. url p. 335.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 9.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1913 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 106, p. 272, p. 289, p. 316, p. 337.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 7 1909-1911 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 415, p. 448.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 195.
- Chinese economic trees, [Shanghai]Printed by the Commercial Press, Ltd. url , , , , , , , p. 38, p. 39.
- Coniferous trees for profit & ornament: being a concise description of each species and variety, with the most recently approved nomenclature, list of synonyms, and best methods of cultivation / by A. D. Webster. London: Constable and Co., 1918. url , p. 13.
- Conservation and sustainable management of trees, report of the third regional workshop, held at Army Hotel, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 18-21 August, 1997 WCMC url p. 127, p. 13, p. 131.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 33, p. 410, p. 421, p. 514.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United States and Canada, together with geo by L.H. Bailey assisted by Wilhelm Miller, PH. D., associate editor, and many expert cultivators and botanists. Illustrated with nearly three thousand engravings and one hundred and forty-five full-pa New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1906. url p. 414.
- Descriptive catalogue of horticultural and agricultural implements and tools, and field and garden seeds: with brief directions for planting, sowing, and culture and rules for the application of guano, lime, plaster, bone-dust, and other manures. Also a choice list of fruit trees with directions for plant A.B. Allen. New York: A.B. Allen & Co., 1846. url p. 80.
- Dudley memorial volume, containing a paper by William Russel Dudley and appreciations and contributions in his memory by friends and colleagues. .. Stanford University, Cal., The University, 1913. url .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 156.
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 194, p. 548.
- Forestry in South Africa, by D.E. Hutchins. .. n.p., 1905? url p. 7.
- Forestry quarterly. Ithaca, N.Y. [etc.] url p. 214.
- Forestry: some practical notes on forestry suitable for New South Wales. Conifers, by J.H Maiden. .. Sydney, W.A. Gullick, 1908. url p. 39.
- Forests and moisture; or effects of forests on humidity of climate. Compiled by John Croumbie Brown. .. Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd, 1877. url p. 143.
- Garden flowers: how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr. Boston: J. E. Tilton and Company, 1866. url p. 128.
- Garden flowers; how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr.. .. Boston, J. E. Tilton and company, 1866. url p. 128.
- Genesee farmer. Rochester, N.Y.: B.F. Smith & Co., [1845-1865] url p. 244.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1271, p. 298.
- Hand-list of Coniferae, grown in the Royal Botanic Gardens. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Darling1903 url p. 35.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 35.
- Hardy coniferous trees: being a concise description of each species and variety, with the most recently approved nomenclature, lists of synonyms, and best methods of cultivation. .. / by A. D. Webster. London: Hutchinson, 1896. url p. 147, p. 159, p. 164, p. 187.
- Hedges and evergreens. New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 264, p. 285.
- Hindu-Koh: wanderings and wild sport on and beyond the Himalayas. Edinburgh, William Blackwood and Sons, 1889. url p. 411.
- Hooker, J. D. & T. Thomson Flora indica: being a systematic account of the plants of British India, together with observations on the structure and affinities of their natural orders and genera /by J.D. Hooker and Thomas Thomson. 1855 London: W. Pamplin, 1855. url p. 195, p. 200, p. 203.
- Illustrations of conifers / by H. Clinton-Baker. Hertford: Privately printed [by Simson], 1909-1913. url , .
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 16, p. 693.
- Introduction to the systematy of Indian trees. LondonOxford University Press1921 url p. 50.
- Landscape gardening: or, Parks and pleasure grounds. With practical notes on country residences, villas, public parks and gardens. .. By Charles H.J. Smith. .. with notes and additions by Lewis F. Allen. New York: C.M. Saxton, 1856. url p. 339.
- Lindley, J. Paxton's flower garden /by Professor Lindley and Sir Joseph Paxton. 1 1853 London: Bradbury and Evans, -1853. url p. 167.
- Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society. London: Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, [1847?- url , , , .
- Morphology of gymnosperms, Chicago, University of Chicago Press[c1917] url .
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 454.
- Observations on the gestation of some sharks and rays / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1891. url p. 321, p. 92.
- On the culture and commerce of cotton in India and elsewhere; with an account of the experiments made by the Hon. East India Company up to the present time. London: Smith, Elder, 1851. url p. 604.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 133, p. 133.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url .
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 178, p. 236, p. 334, p. 355, p. 358, p. 360, p. 398, p. 399, p. 419, p. 78, p. 79.
- Pinaceae: being a handbook of the firs and pines / London: Hatchard, 1866. url p. 75.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 473, p. 487, p. 54, p. 568, p. 602, p. 638.
- Plants of the Punjab: a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province, and Kashmir / by C.J. Bamber. Lahore: Supt. Govt. Printing, Punjab, 1916. url p. 5.
- Plants of the Punjab; a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province and Kashmir. LahorePrinted by The Superintendent Government Printing1916 url p. 5.
- Practical forest management: a handbook with special reference to the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh / compiled in the Working plans branch by C.G. Trevor and E.A. Smythies. AllahabadGovt. Press1923 url .
- Practical forestry. A treatise on the propagation, planting and cultivation, with a description, and the botanical and popular names of all the indigenous trees of the United States. New YorkOrange Judd Co.1884 url p. 288.
- Practical foresty; a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. LondonW. Rider[pref.1917] url p. 127.
- Practical hints on planting ornamental trees, with particular reference to coniferae... by Standish and Noble. London, Bradbury and Evans, 1852. url p. 64.
- Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: [The Society]1865-1905. url p. 120.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 610, p. 612.
- Proceedings. Royal Society of London. v. 1-75; 1800-1904. London url p. 154.
- Report on the Natal forests. .. [S.l.: s.n.], 1889. url p. 183.
- Report on the forest resources of Western Australia / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. London: Reeve, 1879. url p. 20.
- Report on the forests of British East Africa. LondonPrinted for His Majesty's Stationery Off. by Darling1909 url p. 102, p. 116, p. 126, p. 92.
- Report: . .. Washington, Blair & Rives, printers, 1838 url p. 94.
- Rough draft of a manual of Indian sylviculture. Dehra DunJubilee Press1891 url p. 62.
- Royle, J. F. Illustrations of the botany and other branches of the natural history of the Himalayan Mountains: and of the flora of Cashmere /by J. Forbes Royle. 1 1839 London: Wm. H. Allen, 1839. url p. 33, p. 33.
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 3 1917 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 473, p. 487, p. 54, p. 568, p. 602, p. 638.
- Scottish gardens; being a representative selection of different types, old and new, New York, Longmans, Green & co.; [etc., etc.]1908. url p. 80.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 151, p. 154, p. 619.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 386, p. 97.
- Spixiana. 2 1979 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 10, figs. 10-11, p. 11, fig. 12, fig. 13, p. 13, p. 14, p. 15, p. 16, p. 3, p. 33, diagram 5, figs. 5-6, fig. 9.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 106, p. 42.
- Supplementary catalogue of rare and new fruits: in addition to those comprised in the 34th edition of the general catalogue of fruit trees, &c. cultivated at Prince's Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, Flushing, near New-York / Wm. R. Prince & Co., proprietors. New York: s.n., 1847? url p. 7.
- The American handbook of ornamental trees By Thomas Meehan Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo, and co., 1853 url p. 245, p. 245.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 411, p. 411.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 30.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 172, p. 287.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 41.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1067, p. 1255.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , p. 126, p. 20, p. 235, p. 240, p. 295, p. 363, p. 378, p. 39, p. 415, p. 50, p. 507, p. 67, p. 93.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url , p. 119, p. 156, p. 21, p. 6.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1265, p. 129, p. 150, p. 151, p. 152, p. 155, p. 170, p. 178, p. 183, p. 190, p. 198, p. 2, p. 221, p. 241, p. 245, p. 321, p. 367, p. 374, p. 465, p. 518, p. 578, p. 601, p. 601, p. 682, p. 689, p. 691, p. 736, p. 738, p. 757, p. 77, p. 846, p. 97, p. iv.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 662, p. 671.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , p. 108, p. 12, p. 160, p. 178, p. 20, p. 210, p. 219, p. 227, p. 231, p. 232, p. 235, p. 236, p. 252, p. 259, p. 26, p. 275, p. 283, p. 289, p. 303, p. 304, p. 305, p. 312, p. 314, p. 316, p. 348, p. 373, p. 388, p. 391, p. 400, p. 434, p. 434, p. 434, p. 470, p. 494, p. 537, p. 540, p. 563, p. 569, p. 58, p. 594, p. 639, p. 68, p. 72, p. 74, p. 761, p. 794, p. 81, p. 89, p. 92.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url p. 297, p. 415.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luther Tucker, 1846-1875. url p. 218, p. 361, p. 63.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 454.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 100, p. 136, p. 136, p. 178, p. 268, p. 295, p. 295, p. 309, p. 33, p. 504, p. 512, p. 715.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 400, p. 517.
- The Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Victoria. [Melbourne]:Dept. of Agriculture, Victoria, 1902-1955. url p. 417, p. 418, p. 726, p. 727, p. 728.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 31 1895-1897 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 324, p. 336, p. 343.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 373, p. 511.
- The Philippine journal of science. 6 1911 Manila. url p. 169, p. 195, p. 443, p. 573.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1073.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 12.
- The World List of Threatened Trees WCMC, IUCN url p. 155.
- The book of evergreens. A practical treatise on the Coniferæ, or cone-bearing plants. By Josiah Hoopes. New York: Orange Judd & company, [c1868] url p. 284, p. 285, p. 285.
- The book of the landed estate, containing directions for the management and development of the resources of landed property. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1869. url p. 443, p. 501.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 645.
- The florist, fruitist, and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1852- url p. 107, p. 136, p. 143, p. 154, p. 299.
- The forest flora of north-west and central India: a handbook of the indigenous trees and shrubs of those countries / Commenced by by J. Lindsay Stewart. Continued and completed by Dietrich Brandis. Prepared at the herbarium of the Royal gardens, Kew. LondonW.H. Allen1874 url p. 532, p. 533, p. 538.
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url .
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url .
- The forests of upper India and their inhabitants, by Thomas W. Webber. London: E. Arnold, 1902. url p. 185, p. 42, p. 8.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 415.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 272.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 377.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url , p. 312, p. 324.
- The pinetum: being a synopsis of all the coniferous plants at present known, with descriptions, history and synonyms, and a comprehensive systematic index. LondonH.G. Bohn [etc.]1880 url p. 100, p. 100, p. 148, p. 148, p. 149, p. 149, p. 228, p. 228, p. 473, p. 473, p. 480, p. 83, p. 83, p. 97, p. 97.
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 10 1896 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 100, p. 103, p. 121, p. 156, p. 99.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 914.
- The theory and practice of horticulture; or, An attempt to explain the chief operations of gardening upon physiological grounds. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1855. url .
- The theory and practice of landscape gardening / by Joshua Major. London: Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1852. url p. 67.
- The trees of Great Britain & Ireland / by Henry John Elwes and Augustine Henry. Edinburgh: Priv. print., 1906-13. url p. 1147, p. 1158, p. 1159, p. 1165, p. 1179, p. 1183, p. 1964, p. 477, p. 483.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 296.
- Timber and timber trees, native and foreign. London, MacMillan, 1894. url .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 117, p. 123, p. 190.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 304.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 5 1901 London. url p. 471.
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url p. 9.
- Transactions of the Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: The Society, -1887. url p. 186, p. 404.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 74.
- Tree-planting, 1899. A descriptive catalogue of the best trees to plant in Cape Colony, with brief instructions for planting. By D.E. Hutchins. .. Cape Town, W.A. Richards & Sons, 1899. url p. 39, p. 40.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 443.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 443.
- Veitch's manual of the coniferae: containing a general review of the order, a synopsis of the species cultivated in Great Britain, their botanical history, economic properties, place and use in arboriculture, etc. Chelsea: J. Veitch, 1900. url p. 233, p. 233, p. 234, p. 234, p. 550, p. 550.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 461, p. 581.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. 6 1961 München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 110, p. 131.
- Views of nature, or, Contemplations on the sublime phenomena of creation, with scientific illustrations / by Alexander von Humboldt; tr. from the German by E.C. Otté and Henry G. Bohn. London: H.G. Bohn, 1850. url p. 319.
- Webster's Practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament / by A.D. Webster. London: W. Rider & son, limited,  url p. 127.
- Wood; a manual of the natural history and industrial applications of the timbers of commerce. LondonE. Arnold1908 url p. 166, p. 81.
- Wang Wen-tsai, Cheng Wan-chün, Fu Li-kuo & Chu Cheng-de. 1978. Cupressaceae. In: Cheng Wan-chün & Fu Li-kuo, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 7: 313-398.
- Goggans, J. F. and C. E. Posey. 1968. Variation in seeds and ovulate cones of some species and varieties of Cupressus. Circ. Agric. Exp. Sta., Alabama 160: 1--23.
- Little, E. L. Jr. 1966. Varietal transfers in Cupressus and Chamaecyparis. Madroño 18: 161--167.
- Little, E. L. Jr. 1970. Names of New World cypresses (Cupressus). Phytologia 20: 429--445.
- Silba, J. 1981. Revision of Cupressus L. (Cupressaceae). Phytologia 49: 390--399.
- Wolf, C. B. 1948. Taxonomic and distributional studies of the New World cypresses. Aliso 1: 1--250.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Conifer Database 2006.
- Conifer Database. Release date: June 5, 2008
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. Cupressus gigantea. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 20 October 2006.
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 19, 2008.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed December 11, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 8 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 11, 2007:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- GBIF-Spain, CIBIO, Alicante:ABH-GBIF
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3497157
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Con-1863
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14706098
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:261991-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 261991-1
- IUCN ID: 32131
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 645855
- Liguo Fu, Yong-fu Yu, Robert P. Adams & Aljos Farjon "Cupressaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 62. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- James E. Eckenwalder "Cupressus". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]