Common Names in English:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 60 meters (198 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Ranunculanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 2009
Members of the genus Cochlearia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. danica (Early Scurvygrass) · C. draba (Globed-Podded Hoarycress Or Whitetop) · C. groenlandica (Danish Scurvygrass) · C. officinalis (Common Scurveygrass) · C. officinalis anglica (Common Scurvygrass) · C. officinalis officinalis (Common Scurvygrass) · C. polonica (Polish Scurvy-Grass) · C. sessilifolia (Sessile-Leaf Scurvy-Grass) · C. tatrae (Tatra Scurvy-Grass) · C. tridactylites (Cochlearia)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A flora of the islands of Jersey, with a list of the plants of the Channel Islands in general, and remarks upon their distribution and geographical affinities. London, West, Newman, 1903. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 134.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 23.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 23.
- A tour round North Wales, performed during the summer of 1798; containing not only the description and local history of the ocuntry but also, a sketch of the history of the Welsh bards; and essay on the language; observations on the manners and customs; and the h illus. with views in aquatinta by Alken. London: E. Williams, 1800. url p. 410.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 117, p. 118, p. 123, p. 124, p. 125, p. 128, p. 130, p. 134, p. 151, p. 346, p. 65, p. 86.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 163, p. 163.
- An introduction to physiological & systematical botany. Philadelphia, A. Finley;1814. url p. 133.
- An introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, Hurst, Reese, Orme, 1807. url p. 155.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 377, p. 487, p. 575, p. 688, p. 80.
- Arctic zoology. .. London: Printed by Henry Hughs, 1784-1785. url p. 38.
- Bering's voyages: an account of the efforts of the Russians to determine the relation of Asia and America / by F. A. Golder. New York: American Geographical Society, 1922-25. url p. 240.
- Blakeney Point, Norfolk: topography and vegetation / F. W. Oliver and E. J. Salisbury. London: F.T. Smith, 1913. url p. 30, p. 56.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 365.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 106, p. 15, p. 168, p. 178.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url p. 182.
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 279, p. 279, p. 284, p. 284, p. 285, p. 285.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1912 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 5, p. 5, p. 5, p. 5, p. 5, p. 6, p. 7, p. 8, p. 9.
- Colonsay, one of the Hebrides, its plants: their local names and usses--legends, ruins, and place-names--Gaelic names of birds, fishes, etc.--climate, geological formation, etc. By Murdoch McNeill. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1910. url p. 100.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 9.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 127, p. 252, p. 301, p. 4.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 64.
- Descriptive notes on the topography and vegetation of some localities visited by the excursion in Denmark arranged for the members of l'Association internationale des botanistes, June 22nd-July 3rd, 1 Ed. by the Dansk botanisk forening. København, Dansk botanisk forenings forlag, 1913. url p. 7.
- Edmonston's flora of Shetland: comprehending a list of the prevalent wild-flowers, horse-tails, club-mosses and ferns of the Shetland Isles. Edinburgh; Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier, 1903. url p. 53.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url p. 440.
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 186.
- Flora Scotica: or, a systematic arrangement, in the Linnaean method, of the native plants of Scotland and the Hebrides. / By John Lightfoot. ... London:: printed for B. White. .., 1777.. url .
- Flora Vectiana; being an arrangement of the more rare and interesting plants indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, Printed by Richard Taylor, 1823. url p. 26.
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url , , .
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 353, p. 416, p. 450, p. 463, p. 472, p. 475, p. 481, p. 54.
- Flora of Middlesex: a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county: with sketches of its Physical Geography and climate and of the progress of Middlesex Botany during the last three centuries. London, R. Hardwicke1869. url p. 348.
- Flora of Middlesex; a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county; with sketches of its physical geography and climate, and of the progress of Middlesex botany during the last three centuries, by Henry Trimen and William T. Thiselton Dyer. With a map. London, Robert Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 348.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 27.
- Flora of Sussex; or a list of the flowering plants & ferns found in the county of Sussex, with localities of the less common species. London, Simpkin [et al.]1907. url p. 11.
- Flora scotica, or, A description of Scottish plants arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods: in two parts / by William Jackson Hooker. .. Edinburgh: A. Constable, 1821. url p. 583.
- Flora scotica: or, A systematic arrangement, in the Linnæan method, of the native plants of Scotland and the Hebrides. London, Printed for B. White, 1777. url p. 1127.
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain. London, Groombridge, 1857. url .
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 48.
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 286.
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 224.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 309.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 197.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalised in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London, L. Reeve & Co., ltd., 1918. url p. 39.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 195.
- History of the Outer Hebrides: (Lewis, Harris, North and South Uist, Benbecula, and Barra) by W.C. Mackenzie. Paisley: A. Gardner, 1903. url p. 572.
- Hooker, W. J. Botanical miscellany. London: J. Murray, 1830-1833. url p. 16.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev: a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe to which is added a record of the natural history of the island / by Aubyn Trevor-Battye; with numerous illustrations by J.T. Nettleship, Charles Whymper and the author. Westminster: A. Constable, 1895. url p. 401.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev; a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe, to which is added a record of the natural history of the island, Westminster, A. Constable and Company, 1895. url .
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 232, p. 318, p. 526, p. 867.
- Introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, 1819. url p. 119.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 1905 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 10, p. 164, p. 183, p. 198, p. 200, p. 213, p. 225, p. 227, p. 252, p. 275, p. 292, p. 308, p. 309, p. 317, p. 356, p. 360, p. 39, p. 402, p. 406, p. 496, p. 57, p. 7, p. 81, p. 82, p. 85, p. 88, p. 88, p. 9, p. 90, p. 99.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 498, p. 501.
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 15 1828 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url no. 1482.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 29.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 198.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 670.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 218, p. 238, p. 27, p. 327, p. 334, p. 355, p. 375, p. 407, p. 422, p. 43, p. 471, p. 48, p. 80.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 56.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 488.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 6.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 29, p. 453, p. 469, p. 566.
- Proceedings of the Section of Sciences. Amsterdam url p. 393.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 393.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url , , p. 76.
- Report of the Commissioner of Patents for the year 1859: agriculture. Washington, D.C.: George Bowman, printer, 1860. url p. 356.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 35.
- Somerset archaeology and natural history: the proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Taunton: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. url p. 131.
- Species and varieties, their origin by mutation; lectures delivered at the University of California Chicago, The Open Court Publishing Company; [etc., etc.]1906. url .
- Species and varieties: their origin by mutation / lectures delivered at the University of California by Hugo DeVries; edited by Daniel Trembly MacDougal. Chicago: The Open Court; 1906, c1904. url p. 52.
- Species and varieties; their origin by mutation. Lectures delivered at the University of California by Hugo De Vries. Edited by Daniel Trembly MacDougal. Chicago, K. Paul, Trench, Truber, 1906 [c1904] url p. 52.
- Supplement to the arctic zoology London: Printed by Henry Hughs, 1787. url .
- Systematic lists illustrative of the Flora, Fauna, Palaeontology, and Archaeology of the North of Ireland / Belfast: Printed for the Club, 1870-1906. url p. 149.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 315, p. 315.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 191, p. 226, p. 229, p. 232, p. 31, p. 38, p. 38, p. 45, p. 60.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url p. 177.
- The English flora. London: Longman, 1824 url p. 177, p. 177.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 416.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 377, p. 62.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 114, p. 114, p. 130, p. 157, p. 160, p. 184, p. 194, p. 294, p. 31, p. 34, p. 37, p. 40, p. 5, p. 7, p. 8, p. 97.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 332.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 561.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 128, p. 244.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 14, p. 223, p. 259, p. 260, p. 281, p. 292, p. 387, p. 401, p. 421, p. 611, p. 666, p. 97.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1071, p. 1143, p. 209, p. 307, p. 338, p. 407, p. 538, p. 821.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 488.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 126, p. 134.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 210, p. 22, p. 70.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 51.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 146, p. 342.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 441.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 73.
- The language of botany: being a dictionary of the terms made use of in that science, principally by Linneus. .. / by Thomas Martyn. London: Printed for B. and J. White, Fleet-Street, 1793. url .
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown vol. II, containing III. systematic memoirs, and IV. contributions to systematic works. London: Published for the Ray Society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 227, p. 272.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 808.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , , , , , p. 111, p. 86.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 373, p. 378, p. 58.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 454.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 208.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Aranzadi Zientzi Elkartea
- GBIF-Spain, CIBIO, Alicante:ABH-GBIF
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario Universidad de Málaga: MGC-Cormófitos
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario de la Universidad de Sevilla, SEV
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Univ. Herbarium SALAMANCA: SALA
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad del País Vasco/EHU, Bilbao: Herbario BIO
- Herbario SANT, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, SANT herbarium vascular plant collection
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- NLBIF, Limnodata
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Vegetation surveys of coastal shingle in Great Britain
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2666262
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Mus-1055
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5190438
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:281414-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 450553