Common Names in English:
Atlantic Pigeonwings, Butterfly Pea, Pidgeonwings, Pigeon Wing
herbs or shrubs
, rarely trees
. Leaf mostly pinnately 3-9-foliolate; stipels
and stipules present. Inflorescence racemose or axillary
solitary or paired
. Bracts stipule-like; bracteoles large. Calyx 5 toothed
, 2 upper teeth subconnate. Corolla white, red or blue. Vexillum without appendages
, larger than other petals. Stamens monadelphous
, 9+1, vexillary stamen free; anthers
or 5 dorsifixed
alternating with 5 subbasifixed. Ovary stipitate
, 2-many ovuled, style more or less flattened, bearded
inside, stigma terminal
. Fruit linear-oblong, compressed
A genus with about 30 species, distributed in tropics and subtropics.
Habit: Herb, Shrub • Climbing: Not Climbing
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June, July, August, September. • Flower Color: lavender, violet
Size: 36-48" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,266 meters (0 to 7,434 feet).
Culture: Space 24-36" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Rosanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Clitoria marina L. • Martiusia mariana (L.) Small • Ternatea mariana (L.) Kuntze • Ternatea mariana (L.)kuntze • Vexillaria mariana (L.)raf.
Members of the genus Clitoria
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 33 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. arborea (Burro Yacuana) · C. arborescens (Koeroemoe Enoelae) · C. brachystegia (Flor De La Reina) · C. dendrina (Anima-Flor De Anima) · C. densiflora (Semelos) · C. fairchildiana (Butterfly Pea Tree) · C. falcata (Espelina Falsa) · C. flexuosa (Raca-Sisa) · C. fragrans (Pigeon Wings) · C. froesii (Darume Vine) · C. glaberrima (Anima) · C. guianensis (Catuaba) · C. heterophylla (Kilelo) · C. juninensis (Sapotillo) · C. kaessneri (Muliatchioca) · C. lasciva (Famahyfary) · C. laurifolia (Laurel-Leaf Pigeonwings) · C. macrophylla (Poik Tak Katen) · C. mariana (Atlantic Pigeonwings) · C. mariana var. mariana (Butterfly-Pea) · C. mariana var. orientalis (Butterfly-Pea) · C. mariana var. pubescentia (Butterfly-Pea) · C. mexicana (Frijolillo) · C. nervosa (Chancho) · C. pendens (Gat-Tt) · C. polystachya (Bunijn) · C. pozuzoensis (Soga De Machete) · C. stipularis (Feijao Bravo) · C. ternatea (Asian Pigeon Wings) · C. ternatea var. angustifolia (Butterfly-Pea) · C. ternatea var. ternatea (Butterfly Pea) · C. ternatea 'Alba' (White Butterfly Pea Vine) · C. ternatea 'Blue Sails' (Blue Pea Vine)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 271.
- A dictionary of American plant names, compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill., W. N. Clute, 1923. url p. 18.
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 320.
- A report upon the grasses and forage plants of central Texas. By H.L. Bentley. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 27, p. 37.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 417, p. 417.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 360, p. 363.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 203.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 455.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 494, p. 511, p. 78.
- Annual report of the regents of the university on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History, with catalogues of the same. Albany, Regents of the University. url p. 46.
- Annual wholesale catalogue of American trees, shrubs, plants and seeds: cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, near New-York / William Prince & Sons, proprietors. New York: s.n., 1832 url p. 197.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 11, p. 18, p. 20, p. 22, p. 25, p. 29, p. 35, p. 37, p. 6, p. 64, p. 77, p. 87.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botany of the northern and middle states, or, A description of the plants found in the United States, north of Virginia: arranged according to the natural system: with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnaean system. .. / Albany: Printed by Webster and Skinners. .., 1833. url p. 80.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 14.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 271, p. 464, p. 626.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 37, p. 44, p. 53, p. 55.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1911 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 39.
- Bulletin of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, D.C.: The Society, 1918- url p. 69, p. 83.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Society, url p. 62.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 426, p. 487.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 5 1897-1901 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 168, p. 169, p. 170, p. 189, p. 237, p. 240, p. 402, p. 416, p. 456, p. 510, p. 530, p. 578.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 14 1980 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 114, p. 120, p. 136.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 62.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 62.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 17.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1138, p. 343.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 135.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 159.
- Flora of Guatemala: families Leguminosae, Geraniaceae, Oxalidaceae, Tropaeolaceae, Linaceae, Erythroxylaceae, Zygophyllaceae, Rutaceae, Simaroubaceae, Burseraceae, Meliaceae, and Malpighiaceae / by Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1946 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1946. url p. 185.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 140.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 620.
- Flora of Lancaster County; being descriptions of the seed- plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvanial. By John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York, 1913. url p. 169.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 189.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 411.
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url , p. 116, p. 244.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url .
- Forest conditions of Mississippi. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 160.
- Forestry research report. Urbana, Ill., Agricultural Experiment Station, Dept. of Forestry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. url p. 3.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 305.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 476, p. 508, p. 525.
- Heteroptera, or true bugs of eastern North America, with especial reference to the faunas of Indiana and Florida, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1926. url p. 476.
- Journal of Indian botany. Madras: Methodist Pub. House, 1919-1923. url p. 25.
- Journal of bacteriology. Baltimore, [Williams & Wilkins] url p. 243, p. 246.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 137, p. 137, p. 62.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 45.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 35 1934 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 292.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 722.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 25.
- Natural area inventory of Pamlico County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 78.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 129.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 226.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 457.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 10.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 138, p. 32, p. 327, p. 38, p. 48, p. 74, p. 89, p. 93, p. 95.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 240.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url , .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 578.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 50.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 127, p. 176, p. 196, p. 214.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 181.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 98.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 277.
- Report of the State Entomologist on the noxious and beneficial insects of the state of Illinois. [Springfield, Ill.?]: State Entomologist, [1876?]-1916. url p. 72.
- Smith, James Edward The natural history of the rarer lepidopterous insects of Georgia: including their systematic characters, the particulars of their several metamorphoses, and the plants on which they feed. Collected from the observation of Mr. John Abbot, many years resident in that country /by James Edward Smith. 1 1797 London: Printed by T. Bensley, for J. Edwards [etc.] 1797. url tab. XVIII.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 52.
- Studies of the vegetation of Missouri. .. / By Julian A. Steyermark. 9 1940 [Chicago, 1940- url p. 407.
- Technical report: Illinois natural areas inventory / by the Department of Landscape Architecture, Univeristy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and the Natural Land Institute, Rockford, Illinois. Urbana: Dept. of Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois and Natural Land Institute, 1978. url p. 340.
- The American journal of science, & c. New York: J. Eastburn and Co., 1818-1819. url p. 245.
- The American journal of science. 1 1818 - 18 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 245.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 76, p. 87, p. 87.
- The Florida buggist: official organ of the Florida Entomological Society. [Gainesville, Fla.]: The Society, [1917-1920] url p. 39.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 133.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 39 1909-11 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 435.
- The Leguminosae of Illinois. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1953. url , p. 98.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 273.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 66.
- The butterflies of the eastern United States and Canada: with special reference to New England / By Samuel Hubbard Scudder. Cambridge: The author, 1889. url p. 1391, p. 1938.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 215, p. 658.
- The grasses of Tennessee including cereals and forage plants / by J.B. Killebrew. .. Nashville: The American, 1878. url p. 426.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 343.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 164, p. 237, p. 448, p. 512.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url , , .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 494.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 494.
- The vegetation of the New Jersey Pine-Barrens: an ecologic investigation / by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia: Christopher Sower Company, 1916. url p. 256, p. 311, p. 319.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 173, p. 57, p. 70.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 167, p. 93.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 65.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 331, p. 436.
- Wild flowers of Canada published exclusively with the Montreal Star, Montreal; by special artists and botanists. Montreal: Montreal Star, [1895?] url .
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Fantz PR, 1999 (from ILDIS).
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed December 24, 2006. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- ILDIS World Database of Legumes. Release date: May 1, 2007
- ILDIS World Database of LegumesNov 10, 2005.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 21, 2007:
- Harvard University Herbaria, Harvard University Herbaria
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3874590
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ILD-8500
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13641710
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:61283-2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1038451
- "Clitoria". in Flora of Pakistan Page 254. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 206.560 meters (677.690 feet), Standard Deviation = 271.740 based on 650 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]