Herbs, sometimes subshrubs
, usually aromatic
. Stems and branches usually 4-angled. Leaves opposite, rarely whorled
or alternate, simple
to pinnately dissected
, without stipules. Inflorescences generally compound, sometimes flowers solitary and axillary
2- to many flowered, subtended by leaves or bracts. Flowers bisexual
, zygomorphic, rarely subactinomorphic, bracteolate
or not. Calyx persistent
, 5-toothed, 2-lipped; upper lip 3-toothed or entire (deciduous in Scutellaria) ; lower lip 2- or 4-toothed; tube
inside. Corolla limb usually 2-lipped; upper lip 2-lobed and lower 3-lobed, rarely upper lip entire and lower 4-lobed, also rarely limb (4- or) 5-lobed; tube hairy annulate inside. Stamens epipetalous
, 4 or 2, free
, rarely filaments
, sometimes one staminodial; anther
1- or 2-celled, usually dehiscing longitudinally; disc persistent. Ovary superior, 2-celled and each cell
2-ovuled and style subterminal
, or ovary 4-parted and each lobe
1-ovuled and style gynobasic (from bases
of ovary lobes) with 2-cleft apex. Fruit usually 4 dry nutlets
. Seeds with or without endosperm.
Approximately 3500 species in 220 genera, distributed worldwide, but mostly in the Mediterranean region and SW Asia. China has 807 species in 96 genera.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 Ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 Ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : C.Presl Publication : Fl. Sicul. (Presl) 1: p. xxxvii 1826
Members of the genus Chasmonia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 0 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 856.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 856.
- Appendix to the first twenty-three volumes of Edwards's botanical register: consisting of a complete alphabetical and systematical index of names, synomymes and matter, adjusted to the present state of systematical botany, together with a sketch of the vegetation of the Swan by John Lindley. London: James Ridgway, 1839. url p. xx.
- Cassell's dictionary of practical gardening; an illustrated encyclopædia of practical horticulture for all classes; ed. by Walter P. Wright. London, Cassell and company, limited, 1902. url p. 82.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2059.
- Wu Cheng-yih & Li Hsi-wen, eds. 1977. Labiatae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 65(2): 1-649, 66: 1-647.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 10685039
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:445678-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 445678-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1311925