The young, moderately bitter leaves can be used raw in salads and sandwiches. They can also be boiled and served with butter as a green. In France, the root is used in soup .
Common Names in English:
Jupiter's Beard, Fox´s-Brush, Jupiter´s-Beard, Jupiters Beard, Keys To Heaven, Red Valerian, Red-Valerian
herbs or undershrubs. Leaves simple
. Flowers in clusters
. Calyx rolled in flowers. Corolla 5-lobed, spurred
. Ovary unilocular
. Achene pappose.
A genus of c. 12 species, in the Mediterranean region and Europe; locally represented by 1 cultivated species.
Habit: Subshrub , Shrub , Forb/herb
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June. • Flower Color: magenta, red
Size: 24-36" tall.
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 301 meters (986 feet).
Culture: Space 15-18" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 8.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Dipsacanae () - (Dumortier, 1829) Takhtajan, 1997
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Centranthus ruber< /i> (L.) Dc. • Valeriana rubra L.
Members of the genus Centranthus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the years 1596-1599 /edited with notes, references to Gerard's Herball, the addition of modern names, and a life of the author, by Benjamin Daydon Jackson. 1876 London: Privately printed, 1876 url p. 58.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 68.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 48.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 196.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 118.
- A flora of the islands of Jersey, with a list of the plants of the Channel Islands in general, and remarks upon their distribution and geographical affinities. London, West, Newman, 1903. url , .
- A flora of the north-east of Ireland: including the Phanerogamia, the Cryptogamia vascularia, and the Muscineae / by Samuel Alexander Stewart and Thomas Hughes Corry. [Belfast]: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club; 1888. url p. 330.
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 665.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 558.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 479.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 178.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 14, p. 142, p. 167.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , , p. 86, p. 92.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 661.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 669.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 675.
- Alpine plants / by A.J. Macself; illustrated with colour photographs by R.A. Malby, water colour drawings by Winifred Walker, line drawings by G.E. Lee. New York: Scribner, 1923. url p. 200, p. 37.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 284.
- An illustrated encyclopaedia of gardening, by Walter P. Wright London, J. M. Dent & sons, ltd.; url p. 310.
- An introduction to California plant life Berkeley: University of California Press, [c1974] url p. 122, p. 148.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 185, p. 185, p. 192, p. 40, p. 445, p. 88.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 432.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 236, p. 29, p. 330, p. 377, p. 628, p. 93.
- Beautiful flowers and how to grow them, by Horace J. Wright & Walter P. Wright. Illustrated with 32 plates in full colours from paintings by Beatrice Parsons, Eleanor Fortesque Brickdale, Hugh L. Norris, Margaret Waterfield, A. Fairfax Muck 1922 Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, ltd., 1922. url p. 124, p. 400.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 72.
- Botany. By W. H. Brewer, Sereno Watson, and Asa Gray. Boston, Little, Brown, 1880. url p. 560.
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass., Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 560.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 271, p. 394.
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 291, p. 291, p. 322, p. 333, p. 333.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url , .
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url , p. 256, p. 99, p. xxi.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 21 1932 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 10.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 432.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 242.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 142, p. 221.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 242.
- Butterflies of the Riviera. A short account of the Rhopalocera of the Maritime Alps. Nice, Printed by P. Conso, 1892. url p. 110, p. 58, p. 59.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 613.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 613.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 355.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url , p. 18.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 299.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns; Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1884. url .
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url .
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 114, p. 24, p. 450.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture: comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants sold in the United States and Canada, together with ge by L.H. Bailey, assisted by Wilhelm Miller and many expert cultivators and botanists, illustrated with two thousand eight hundred original engravings. New York: Macmillan, 1906, c1900-02. url p. 1895.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url .
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 233.
- Familiar wild flowers figured and described by F. Edward Hulme. .. 1st- ser.. .. London, Cassell and company, limited, [1878- url .
- Field and woodland plants / by W. S. Furneaux. London; Longmans, Green, and Co., 1909 url p. 302, p. 376.
- Field and woodland plants, by W.S. Furneaux. With 8 plates in colour, and numerous illustrations by Patten Wilson, and photographs from nature by the author. London, Longmans, Green, 1911. url p. 302, p. 376.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 375.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 374, p. 375.
- Flora of Cambridgeshire; or, A catalogue of plants found in the county of Cambridge; with references to former catalogues, and the localities of the rarer species. London, J. Van Voorst, 1860. url , .
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url .
- Flora of Derbyshire: flowering plants, higher cryptogams, mosses and hepatics, Characeae. London, Bemrose & Sons Ltd., 1903. url p. 174.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 109, p. 18, p. 366.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride; B.E. Dahlgren, editor. 13 1937 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 288.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 186, p. 31.
- Flora of the Bristol coal-field. Edited for the Bristol Naturalists' Society by James Walter White. Bristol, J. Fawn [etc.]1881-86. url .
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url , p. 609, p. 610.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , .
- Florula Mortolensis. An enumeration of the plants growing wild at La Mortola. Ventimiglia, Billi, 1905. url .
- Flower ecology. [n.p.]Press of J. B. Hungerford url .
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 187.
- Flower grouping in English, Scotch & Irish gardens; notes & 56 sketches in colour, by Margaret Waterfield. .. with contributions by E. V. B., S. Arnott [and others] London: E. P. Dutton & co., 1907. url p. 228, p. 236, p. 9.
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 123.
- Flowers and their unbidden guests. London, C. K. Paul & Co., 1878. url p. 157, p. 89.
- Flowers of the field. London, G. Routledge, 1908. url .
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 310, p. 311.
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 142, p. 143.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , p. 308, p. 333, p. 464.
- Garden flowers: how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr. Boston: J. E. Tilton and Company, 1866. url p. 98.
- Garden flowers; how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr.... New York, Hurd and Houghton, 1876. url p. 98.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 39.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url , .
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 132, p. 150.
- Gray's lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by over 360 wood engravings, from original drawings, by Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co. url .
- Gray's school and field book of botany, consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray... New York: American Book co.,  url p. 177.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 638, p. 856.
- Guide to the autumn flowers of Minnesota, field and garden. [By] F. E. Clements, C. O. Rosendahl and F. K. Butters. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota, 1913. url p. 32.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 19, p. 554, p. 576, p. 577.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , , .
- Handbook of hardy herbaceous and alpine flowers. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1871. url p. 146.
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. .. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin. ..entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url , .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalised in the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. London, L. Reeve, 1908. url p. 216.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 131, p. 259, p. 36, p. 62.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 88.
- Hardy perennials and old-fashioned garden flowers. Describing the most desirable plants for borders, rockcries, and shrubberies, and including both foliage and flowering plants. By John Wood. London, L.U. Gill, 1884. url p. 315, p. 318, p. 322.
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , .
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, by Helen R. Albee; illustrated from photographs. New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url .
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 97.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 157, p. 187, p. 472.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Introduction to the plant-life of the Oxford district. London, Milford, 1922-25. url p. 59, p. 65.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 233, p. 234, p. 237, p. 820.
- Jottings of a gentleman farmer: a practical guide to flower gardening for amateur gardeners: to which is added some suggestions on growing food plants during the war / by E.T. Ellis. London: L. Reeve & co., 1917. url p. 49.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 13, p. 18, p. 184, p. 199, p. 243, p. 270, p. 33, p. 336, p. 346, p. 359, p. 36, p. 39, p. 409, p. 43, p. 45.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 1 1834 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 18.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 221, p. 493.
- La Mortola: a short description of the garden of Thomas Hanbury, Esq. / by Friedrich A. Flückiger; translated from the German by Helen P. Sharpe. [s.l.]: Privately printed, 1885. url p. 19.
- La botanique en Provence au 16e siècle. Léonard Rauwolff, Jacques Raynaudet. MarseilleH. Aubertin & G. Rolle1900 url .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url p. 195, p. 29, p. 293.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 543, p. 545, p. 546, p. 93.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , , , , , , p. 102, p. 110, p. 116, p. 132, p. 136, p. 137, p. 139, p. 154, p. 82, p. 92.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1097.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 27, p. 27, p. 89.
- Making a rock garden / by H. S. Adams. New York:McBride, Nast, 1912. url p. 48.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 160.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (The mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) New York: Ivison, Phinney, 1863, c1862. url p. lvi.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 111, p. 122, p. 148, p. 2, p. 78.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , p. 121.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 432.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 57.
- Miscellaneous studies in agriculture and biology. BerkeleyUniversity of California Press1919 url p. 178, p. 179.
- Mémoires. Bruxelles, The Society. url p. 147.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 247, p. 81.
- New Zealand plants and their story. By L. Cockayne. .. Wellington, N.Z., M.F. Marks, Govt. Printer, 1919. url p. 155, p. 228.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 8 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 374, p. 411, p. 416.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 112, p. 129, p. 139, p. 157, p. 182, p. 204, p. 206, p. 251, p. 257, p. 286, p. 334, p. 35, p. 375, p. 407, p. 414, p. 422, p. 440, p. 87.
- Observations of a naturalist in the Pacific between 1896 and 1899 / by H.B. Guppy. London: Macmillan and Co., 1903-1906. url p. 610.
- On British wild flowers considered in relation to insects / by Lord Avebury. London: Macmillan, 1909. url p. 117.
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 133, p. 71.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 71.
- Photosynthesis and related processes, by Eugene I. Rabinowitch. .. New York, N.Y., Interscience Publishers, inc., 1945- url p. 1587.
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 177, p. 767.
- Plant Form OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS url p. 167, p. 324.
- Plant succession; an analysis of the development of vegetation, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1916. url , .
- Plants for California landscapes: a catalog of drought tolerant plants. [Sacramento, Calif.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Water Resources,  url p. 90.
- Pollen / by M. Pakenham Edgeworth. London: Hardwicke & Bogue, 1877. url p. 82, p. 82.
- Practical floriculture; a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, Orange Judd company url p. 249.
- Practical landscape gardening, with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of art; with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds. Cincinnati, Moore, Wilstach, Keys & co., 1855. url p. 227.
- Practical landscape gardening: with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of the art: with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds / by G.M. Kern. Cincinnati: Moore, Wilstach, Keys & Co., No. 25 West Fourth Street, 1855. url p. 227.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url .
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 655, p. 685.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 105, p. 299, p. 580, p. 588, p. 591, p. 596, p. 598.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 109, p. 159.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 402.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 127.
- Rambles on the Riviera, New York, C. Scribner's sons; [etc., etc.]1906. url , , .
- Rambles on the Riviera, by Eduard Strasburger. Translated from the German by O. and B. Comerford Casey, with 87 coloured illustrations by Louise Reusch. New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1906. url , , p. 430.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 345.
- Report on the injurious and other insects of the State of New York. Albany: State Entomologist, 1882-1898. url p. 345.
- Some English gardens; after drawings by George S. Elgood; with notes by Gertrude Jekyll. and Bombay, Longmans, Green & Co., 1904. url p. 129.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 254, p. 520, p. 74.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 156.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 336.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1942.
- That rock-garden of ours; with 50 illustrations by the author. Phil.Jacobs, [1909?] url p. 317, p. 99.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url , p. 1162, p. 1202, p. 1222, p. 1307, p. 1413, p. 181, p. 198, p. 4, p. 545, p. 678, p. 818, p. 884.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 44, p. 444, p. 454, p. 461, p. 511.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 109, p. 173, p. 45.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 442.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 487.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 194, p. 22, p. 23, p. 231, p. 231, p. 25.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 114, p. 116, p. 131, p. 159, p. 240, p. 26, p. 60, p. 68, p. 87, p. 91, p. 99.
- The Entomologist. London: Edward Newman, 1840- url p. 67.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 221, p. 247.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 264, p. 285.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 73, p. 977.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , , , , p. 131, p. 14, p. 140, p. 142, p. 143, p. 147, p. 149, p. 15, p. 174, p. 174, p. 192, p. 193, p. 194, p. 2, p. 206, p. 212, p. 220, p. 251, p. 253, p. 260, p. 276, p. 302, p. 304, p. 308, p. 320, p. 321, p. 322, p. 323, p. 324, p. 327, p. 332, p. 335, p. 335, p. 336, p. 34, p. 358, p. 36, p. 36, p. 363, p. 367, p. 383, p. 384, p. 385, p. 387, p. 397, p. 40, p. 404, p. 416, p. 421, p. 447, p. 448, p. 451, p. 452, p. 478, p. 48, p. 480, p. 484, p. 485, p. 486, p. 49, p. 498, p. 509, p. 512, p. 516, p. 517, p. 538, p. 539, p. 54, p. 573, p. 579, p. 583, p. 606, p. 609, p. 652, p. 69, p. 8, p. 80, p. 93, p. 98.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 354.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 290.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1864 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 366, p. 424, p. 608.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , , p. 108, p. 11, p. 112, p. 112, p. 12, p. 12, p. 12, p. 120, p. 123, p. 126, p. 127, p. 129, p. 140, p. 144, p. 148, p. 160, p. 168, p. 180, p. 196, p. 20, p. 21, p. 21, p. 21, p. 224, p. 232, p. 240, p. 244, p. 248, p. 252, p. 252, p. 26, p. 272, p. 280, p. 281, p. 283, p. 316, p. 336, p. 336, p. 34, p. 365, p. 374, p. 38, p. 380, p. 394, p. 396, p. 40, p. 40, p. 400, p. 403, p. 407, p. 432, p. 436, p. 444, p. 52, p. 522, p. 55, p. 568, p. 60, p. 60, p. 60, p. 62, p. 633, p. 678, p. 714, p. 72, p. 776, p. 782, p. 80, p. 804, p. 816, p. 820, p. 84, p. 843, p. 87.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 19, p. 404.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luther Tucker, 1846-1875. url p. 265.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 374, p. 376, p. 416, p. 435.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 105, p. 16, p. 167.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , , , p. 15, p. 170, p. 173, p. 186, p. 233, p. 241, p. 241, p. 25, p. 27, p. 301, p. 327, p. 362, p. 46, p. 62, p. 62, p. 63, p. 70.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 28 1891 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 183, p. 207, p. 212, p. 432, p. 475.
- The Lepidoptera of the British Islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, their preparatory states, habits, and localities / by Charles G. Barrett. London: L. Reeve, 1893-1907. url p. 114, p. 138, p. 142, p. 219, p. 76.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 215.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 202, p. 343.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 102, p. 15, p. 179, p. 238, p. 240, p. 242, p. 25, p. 255, p. 26, p. 303, p. 333, p. 359, p. 387, p. 387, p. 40, p. 453, p. 54, p. 608, p. 636.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1014, p. 426, p. 650, p. 677.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 127.
- The U.S. Naval Astronomical Expedition to the southern hemisphere, during the years 1849-'50-'51-'52. Lieut. J. M. Gilliss, superintendent. .. Vol. I, II, III, VI. .. Washington: A. O. P. Nicholson, printer, 1855-56. url p. 267.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 57.
- The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine. Devizes [etc.]H. Bull [etc.] url .
- The alpine flora / by Henry Correvon and Phillippe Robert; translated into English and enlarged, under the author's sanction, by E. W. Clayforth. London: Methuen,  url p. 430.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 100, p. 455.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 331, p. 389, p. 389.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 145, p. 148.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url , , .
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 308, p. 658.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url , , p. 256.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 52.
- The flora of Suffolk a topographical enumeration of the plants of the county, showing the results of former observations and of the most recent researches / by W.M. Hind; assisted by Churchill Babington; with an introductory chapter of the geology, climate and meteorology of Suffolk by Wheelton Hind. London: Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url , p. 189.
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 154.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, by Alfred W. Bennett. .. London, Nimmo, 1900. url p. 154.
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url .
- The garden at home, by H. H. Thomas. .. with 12 full-page plates from photographs in natural colours and 96 half-tone illustrations. London, New York [etc.]Cassell and company, ltd., 1912. url p. 139.
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom, height and cultivation of all desirable, hardy herbaceous perennials for the formal or wild garden with additional lists of aquatics, vines, ferns, et by Mabel Cabot Sedgwick assisted by Robert Cameron with over two hundred half-tone engravings from photographs of growing plants, and a chart in colors. New York, F.A. Stokes Co.,  url .
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 448.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 530.
- The letters of Rusticus on the natural history of Godalming. Extracted from the Magazine of natural history, the Entomological magazine, and the Entomologist. London: Printed for John Van Voorst, 1849. url p. 139.
- The moths of the British Isles, by Richard South. London, F. Warne & Co., 1907-09. url p. 75.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , .
- The natural history of plants. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1871-88. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 937.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalised flora of South Australia / by J.M. Black. Adelaide: J.M. Black, 1909. url p. 185, p. 75.
- The perfect garden, how to keep it beautiful and fruitful, with practical hints on eonomical management and the culture of all the principal flowers, fruits, and vegetables; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company; [etc., etc.]1908. url p. 103.
- The propagation of plants, giving the principles which govern the development and growth of plants, their botanical affinities and peculiar properties; also, descriptions of the process by which varieties and species are crosse By Andrew S. Fuller. New York: Orange Judd co., 1887. url p. 335.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1475, p. 3426, p. 3427, p. 3609, p. 713.
- The story of plant life in the British Isles; types of the common natural orders, by A.R. Horwood. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1914-15. url , , p. 296, p. 344.
- The students' flora of New Zealand and the outlying islands. Wellington, N. Z., John Mackay, govt. printer url .
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 217.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 697, p. 815.
- The wild garden, or the naturalization and natural grouping of hardy exotic plants with a chapter on the garden of British wild flowers. London, J. Murray, 1894. url , .
- The wild garden: or, Our groves and gardens made beautiful by the naturalisation of hardy exotic plants; being one way onwards from the dark ages of flower gardening, with suggestions for the regeneration of the bare by W. Robinson; illustrated by Alfred Parsons. London: J. Murray; 1883. url p. 166.
- The wild garden; or, Our groves & shrubberies made beautiful. .. London, J. Murray, 1870. url .
- The wild garden; or, Our groves and gardens made beautiful by the naturalisation of hardy exotic plants. .. London, J. Murray;1883. url , , .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 134, p. 28, p. 44.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 219, p. 284, p. 284, p. 373.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 323.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 137, p. 90, p. 97.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 5 1896 London. url p. 168, p. 169.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 269, p. 271, p. 46, p. 65.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url , .
- Transactions of the Watford Natural History Society and Hertfordshire Field Club. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1875-1880. url p. 77.
- University of California publications in entomology. [Berkeley]: University of California Press, 1906- url p. 332, p. 466.
- Vegetable teratology, an account of the principal deviations from the usual construction of plants, by Maxwell T. Masters. .. With numerous illus. by E.M. Williams. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 42, p. 44.
- Villa gardening: a handbook for amateur and practical gardeners / by Edward Hobday. London; MacMillan, 1887. url p. 87.
- Wall and water gardens / by Gertrude Jekyll. [London]: "Country life", [190-?] url p. 39.
- Wall and water gardens. By Gertrude Jekyll. [London]"Country life" url p. 39.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University and Jepson Herbaria DiGIR provider
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, Herbarium Willing
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Botánica, Universidad de León: LEB-Cormo
- GBIF-Spain, Dirección General de Investigación, Desarrollo Tecnológico e Innovación de la Junta de Extremadura(DGIDTI): HSS
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario Universidad de Málaga: MGC-Cormófitos
- GBIF-Spain, Hortus Botanicus Sollerensis Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Almería, HUAL
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- NLBIF, Limnodata
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3875094
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35374
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5376337
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:57943-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 9837
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35374
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 57943-3
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDVAL01010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: CERU2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 29484
- "Centranthus". in Flora of Pakistan Vol Page. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Standard Deviation = 573.770 based on 38,604 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]