- These pretty blue flowers are often planted in wildflower displays along highway medians .
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Bachelor's Button, Bachelor´s-Button, Bachelor's Button Knapweed, Bachelors Button, Batchelor Button, Blue Bottle, Blue Cornflower, Corn-Flower, Cornflower, Garden Cornflower
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Bleuet, Centaurée Bleuet
Common Names in German:
The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
, biennials, or perennials, 20-300 cm, glabrous
. Stems erect
, or spreading
or branched. Leaves basal and cauline; petiolate
or sessile; proximal
often ± deeply lobed
in C. benedicta ), distal ± smaller, often entire, faces
glabrous or ± tomentose, sometimes also villous
, or puberulent
, often glandular-punctate. Heads discoid
, or radiant, borne singly or in corymbiform
arrays. Involucres cylindric
. Phyllaries many in 6-many series, unequal, proximal part appressed
, body margins entire. distal parts expanded into erect to spreading, usually ± dentate
, spine. tipped or spineless. Receptacles flat, epaleate, bristly
. Florets 10-many; outer usually sterile
, corollas slender and inconspicuous to much expanded, ± bilateral
; inner fertile
, corollas white to blue, pink, purple, or yellow, bilateral or radial
, often bent at junction of tubes
linear-oblong, acute; anther
, apical appendages oblong
; style branches: fused portions with minutely hairy
portions minute. Cypselae ± barrel-shaped, ± compressed
, apices entire (denticulate
benedicta ), glabrous or with fine, 1-celled hairs
, attachment scar
(with or without elaiosomes) ; pappi 0 or ± persistent
, of 1-3 series of smooth or minutely barbed
, stiff bristles
or narrow scales
. x = 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15.
Species ca. 500: introduced ; Eurasia , n Africa, widely introduced worldwide.
Taxonomic limits of Centaurea have been controversial. The genus has great morphologic diversity , and studies have revealed much cytologic (e.g. , N. Garcia-Jacas et al. 1996) and palynologic (e.g., G. Wagenitz 1955) variation as well. During the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, various taxonomists attempted, with limited success, to divide Centaurea into smaller genera or workable infrageneric taxa. The relations of several satellite genera have been controversial as well.
Recent molecular phylogenetic studies (A. Susanna et al. 1995; N. Garcia-Jacas et al. 2000, 2001) have begun to clarify relationships within Centaurea and between Centaurea and other genera. These studies make it clear that Centaurea as traditionally defined is polyphyletic, and that generic boundaries should be realigned if monophyletic taxa are to be recognized. Some taxa traditionally included within Centaurea (e.g., the two native North American species, Centaurea americana and C. rothrockii) fall outside the redefined generic boundaries and are here treated in Plectocephalus. Others usually placed into segregate genera (e.g., Cnicus benedictus) are firmly nested within Centaurea. Because the type species of Centaurea (C. centaurium Linnaeus, an African species) falls outside the main lineage of the genus, a proposal has been made to conserve Centaurea with a different type species (W. Greuter et al. 2001), thereby maintaining the nomenclatural stability of most of the numerous species that do fall within the principal Centaurea clade.
Although several Centaurea species are widely established as members of the North American flora , and some of these are widely distributed invasive weeds , some of the taxa listed by J. T. Kartesz and C. A. Meacham (1999) are apparently waifs and not permanent members of the flora. These taxa are discussed informally immediately below.
Although Cnicus has usually been recognized as a distinctive monotypic genus, it has been merged into Centaurea by various authors (e.g., K . Bremer 1994; G. Wagenitz and F. H. Hellwig 1996) . Recent molecular systematic studies (N. Garcia-Jacas et al. 2000) provide additional evidence that it is nested within Centaurea.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June, July, August. • Flower Color: blue-violet, light blue, medium blue, near white, pink, white
Size: 24-36" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,650 meters (0 to 8,694 feet).
Culture: Space 9-12" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Lindley, 1833
- Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Tribe: Cardueae ()
- Subfamily: Carduoideae ()
- Family: Compositae () - Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Leucacantha cyanus (L.) Nieuwl. and Lunell
Members of the genus Centaurea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 82 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. akamantis (Akamas Centaury) · C. alpestris (Greater Centaury) · C. americana (American Basketflower) · C. americana 'Aloha' (American Knapweed) · C. americana 'Jolly Joker' (American Knapweed) · C. aspera (Rough Star-Thistle) · C. atropurpurea (Centaurea) · C. bella (Knapweed) · C. benoistii (Maroon Cornflower) · C. biebersteinii (Ballast Waif Centaurea Biebersteinii) · C. bovina (Pasture Knapweed) · C. cachinalensis (Flor Del Minero) · C. calcitrapa (Big-Head Purple Starthistle) · C. calcitrapoides (Smallhead Star-Thistle) · C. cineraria (Dusty Miller) · C. cineraria 'Colchester White' (Dusty Miller) · C. crupina (Crupina) · C. cyanoides 'Blue Carpet' (Cornflower) · C. cyanus (Bachelor's Button) · C. cyanus nana 'Jubilee Gem' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Black Ball' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Black Boy' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Black Gem' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Black Magic' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Blue Boy' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Blue Diadem' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Classic Blue' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Dwarf Blue Midget' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Frosted Queen Mix' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Frosty Mix' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Mauve Queen' (Bachelors Button) · C. cyanus 'Polka Dot Mix' (Bachelors Button) · C. dealbata (Knapweed Centaurea Dealbata) · C. dealbata 'Rosea' (Knapweed) · C. debeauxii (Meadow Knapweed) · C. debeauxii thuillieri (Meadow Knapweed) · C. debeauxii subsp. thuillieri (Meadow Knapweed) · C. depressa (Centaurea) · C. diffusa (Diffuse Knapweed) · C. diluta (North African Knapweed) · C. eriophora (Sand-Heath) · C. gymnocarpa (Velvet Centaurea) · C. hypoleuca DC. 'John Coutts' (Knapweed) · C. iberica (Iberian Knapweed) · C. jacea (Brown Knapweed) · C. jacea x nigra (Hybrid Knapweed Centaurea Jacea X Nigra) · C. macrocephala (Armenian Basketflower) · C. melitensis (Cockspur Thistle) · C. moncktonii (Meadow Knapweed) · C. montana (Mountain Bluet) · C. montana 'Alba' (Mountain Bluet) · C. montana 'Amethyst in Snow' (Mountain Bluet) · C. montana 'Dot Purple' (Mountain Bluet) · C. montana 'Gold Bullion' (Batchelor's Button) · C. moschata 'Dairy Maid' (Sweet Sultan) · C. moschata 'Imperialis' (Sweet Sultan) · C. moschata 'The Bride' (Sweet Sultan) · C. nigra (Black Knapweed) · C. nigrescens (Short-Fringe Starthistle) · C. orientalis (Centaurea) · C. ovina (Lilac Knapweed) · C. paniculata (Jersey Knapweed) · C. phrygia (Scandinavian Starthistle) · C. pindicola (Centaurea) · C. pulcherrima (Pink Bachelors Button) · C. 'Pulchra Major' (Bachelor's Button) · C. ragusina (Dubrovacka Zecina) · C. rothrockii (Basket Flower) · C. scabiosa (Great Starthistle) · C. solstitialis (Barnaby Star-Thistle) · C. solstitialis solstitialis (St. Barnaby's Thistle) · C. stoebe (Spotted Knapweed) · C. sulphurea (Sicilian Starthistle) · C. thuillieri (Meadow Knapweed) · C. transalpina (Alpine Knapweed) · C. trichocephala (Feather-Head Knapweed) · C. triumfetti (Squarrose Knapweed Centaurea Triumfetti) · C. triumfettii (Spreading Thistle) · C. uniflora (Single-Flower Knapweed) · C. uniflora nervosa (Singleflower Knapweed) · C. xpratensis (Meadow Knapweed) · C.'Nigra' (Bachelor Buttons)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Flora of Berwick-upon-Tweed. By George Johnston, M.D. Edinburgh, J. Carfrae & Son; [etc., etc., ]1829-31. url p. 308.
- A compendium of general botany / by Max Westermaier; translated by Albert Schneider. New York: Wiley, 1896. url p. 220, p. 220.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 567, p. 568.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 567, p. 568.
- A monograph of the British Uredineae and Ustilagineae, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. London, Paul, Trench & Co., 1889. url , .
- A monograph of the British Uredineæ and Ustilagineæ, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. By Charles B. Plowright. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1889. url p. 326.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 14.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url p. 79.
- A season among the wildflowers / by the Rev. Henry Wood. London: .W. S. Sonnenschein, 1883. url p. 124.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 66.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 148.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. 45 1916 Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 113, p. 117, p. 130, p. 144, p. 16, p. 17, p. 219, p. 315, p. 341, p. 39, p. 39, p. 397, p. 40, p. 407, p. 43, p. 75, p. 84, p. 93.
- American honey plants; together with those which are of special value to the beekeeper as sources of pollen. Hamilton, Ill., American Bee Journal, 1920. url p. 60.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 887.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 879, p. 887.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 54.
- An introduction to historical plant geography, by E. V. Wulff. .. authorized translation by Elizabeth Brissenden. Foreword by Elmer D. Merrill. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1943. url p. 113, p. 114.
- An introduction to the chemistry of plant products by Paul Haas and T. G. Hill. London, Longmans, Green, 1928-1929. url p. 344, p. 519.
- An introduction to the study of botany, including a treatise on vegetable physiology, and descriptions of the most common plants in the middle and northern states. By J.L. Comstock. .. New York, Pratt, Woodford, Farmer & Brace, 1856 [c1854] url p. 32.
- And the wilderness blossomed, Philadelphia, H.W. Fisher & company, 1901. url , p. 217, p. 248.
- Annual and biennial garden plants, their value and uses: with full instructions for their cultivation, by A.E. Speer. .. London, J. Murray, 1911. url p. 71, p. 74, p. xix.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 155, p. 364, p. 59.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 174.
- Annuals & biennials, the best annual and biennial plants and their uses in the garden, London, C. Scribner's sons url , .
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 15, p. 80, p. 81.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 193.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 255.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 220, p. 255.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 379, p. 450.
- Botany of the living plant, London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1919. url .
- Botany of the living plant, by F. O. Bower. London, Macmillan and Co., limited, 1919. url p. 537, p. 537.
- Botany of the living plant. London, Macmillan, 1919. url p. 537.
- Botany of the northern and middle states, or, A description of the plants found in the United States, north of Virginia: arranged according to the natural system: with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnaean system. .. / Albany: Printed by Webster and Skinners. .., 1833. url p. 174.
- Botany of to-day, a popular account of recent notable discoveries. London, Seeley, 1911. url , .
- British ants, their life-history and classification. By H. St. J.K. Donisthorpe. .. With 18 plates and 92 diagrams. Plymouth [Eng.]W. Brendon and Son, limited, 1915. url p. 133.
- British barrows: a record of the examination of sepulchral mounds in various parts of England / by William Greenwell; together with description of figures of skulls, general remarks on prehistoric crania and an appendix by George Rolleston. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1877. url .
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url , p. 203, p. 208, p. 22.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , p. 4.
- British moths and their transformations. London: W. Smith, 1843-45. url p. 182.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 25.
- Bulletin / New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. [New Brunswick, N.J.]: The Station, 1880- url p. 183, p. 205.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 235.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 13.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 40.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 40.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 43 1916 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 276.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url .
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 10.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 40.
- By meadow, grove and stream: an introduction to nature study / by Henry Hilton Brown. .. London: Religious Tract Society, [1907?] url , p. 67.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 304, p. 378.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 235.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 2057, p. 2142.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 272, p. 272.
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url , .
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Chapters on evolution by Andrew Wilson. London: Chatto & Windus, 1883. url p. 302, p. 303.
- Chapters on evolution. New York, Putnam's Sons, 1883. url p. 302, p. 303.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 87.
- Chronological history of plants: man's record of his own existence illustrated through their names, uses, and companionship. Boston, Little, Brown & company, 1879. url .
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 144.
- Compositae newsletter. Columbus, Ohio: Dept. of Botany, Ohio State University, 1975- url p. 28, p. 34, p. 47, p. 5, p. 56, p. 65.
- Compte rendu du Congre?s international d'essais de semences. Discussions at the International Seed Testing Conference. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Konferenz fu?r Samenpru?fung a?/in Copenhague (Danemark), 6.- 10. VI. 1921. Hamburg, Druck von Lu?tcke & Wulff url , .
- Continuous bloom in America; New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1915. url p. 75, p. 77, p. 79.
- Continuous bloom in America; where, when, what, to plant, with other gardening suggestions, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1915. url , , .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 236, p. 293, p. 510, p. 587, p. 608.
- Contributions from the herbarium of the Geological Survey of Canada / by James M. Macoun. [Ottawa?: s.n.], 1894-1906. url p. 276.
- Contributions to Canadian botany / by Jas. M. Macoun. Ottawa: [s. n.], 1894-1906. url p. 276.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 36.
- Control series bulletin / Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, University of Massachusetts. url p. 19, p. 19, p. 40, p. 40.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 265.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 325, p. 60.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 292, p. 369.
- Dictionary of biological equivalents, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager. .. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins company, 1930. url p. 125.
- Dictionary of botanical equivalents, French-English, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager and Edwina M. Smiley. Baltimore, Md., Williams & Wilkins[c1921] url p. 73.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 302.
- Edwards's botanical register. 26 1840 London: James Ridgway, 1829-1847. url , p. 28.
- Einleitung in die Entomologie: oder Elemente der Naturgeschichte der Insecten / Von Wilhelm Kirby und Wilhelm Spence. Stuttgart: Cottaischen Buchhandlung, 1823-1833. url p. 289.
- Elementary botany / London: G. Bell, 1898. url .
- Elements of the science of botany, as established by Linnaeus; with examples to illustrate the classes and orders of his system. London, Printed by T. Bensley for J. Murray.1812. url p. 104.
- English wild flowers: to be found by the wayside, fields, hedgerows, rivers, moorlands, meadows, mountains, and sea-shore / by J.T. Burgess. London: F. Warne, [18--?] url p. 128.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 23, p. 53, p. 58, p. 6.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 288.
- Evolution by atrophy in biology and sociology / by Jean Demoor, Jean Massart, Emile Vandervelde; translated by Mrs. Chalmers Mitchell. London: K. Paul, 1899. url p. 256.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 13, p. 134, p. 153, p. 158, p. 531, p. 769, p. 8, p. 822, p. 836, p. 837, p. 936.
- Experimental pollination; an outline of the ecology of flowers and insects, by Frederic E. Clements and Frances L. Long. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1923. url p. 148, p. 162, p. 171, p. 184.
- Familiar wild flowers figured and described by F. Edward Hulme. .. 1st- ser.. .. London, Cassell and company, limited, [1878- url , p. 79.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 570.
- Flora Indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants / by the late William Roxburgh. Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 444.
- Flora Washingtonensis; a catalogue of the Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta of the state of Washington, n.p., 1892 url .
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 269.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 197.
- Flora of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: New Era, 1914. url p. 251.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 293.
- Flora of the northwest coast, including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon. Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1915. url .
- Flora of the northwest coast: including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New era printing company, 1915. url p. 394.
- Flora of the southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho, Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1914. url .
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 608.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 608.
- Flora's dictionary / by a lady. Baltimore: Published by Fielding Lucas Jr., 1832. url .
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , , , , , , .
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url , .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 203, p. 206.
- Flowers and their unbidden guests. London, C. K. Paul & Co., 1878. url p. 72, p. 75.
- Flowers of the field. London, G. Routledge, 1908. url .
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 164.
- Flowers, fruits and leaves. London, Macmillan, 1888. url p. 38.
- Flowers, fruits and leaves. London: Macmillan, 1886. url .
- Flowers; their origin, shapes, perfumes, and colours / Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1878. url p. 283.
- Fritz Bahr's commercial floriculture; a practical manual for the retail grower, New York, The A. T. De la Mare company, inc.[c1922] url , .
- Gaelic names of plants (Scottish and Irish) Collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, their uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaelic, Eng EdinburghBlackwood1883 url p. 39.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 104.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 537, p. 569, p. 605, p. 86.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 260.
- Gardens near the sea; the making and care of gardens on or near the coast with reference also to lawns and grounds and to trees and shrubbery, New York, Frederick A. Stokes company[c1910] url , .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 162.
- Handbook of the wild and cultivated flowering plants, by Chester Arthur Darling... Syracuse andThe Mason-Henry press,  url p. 100.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 189, p. 211, p. 230, p. 243, p. 29, p. 99.
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , , .
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, by Helen R. Albee; illustrated from photographs. New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , , .
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 51.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 59.
- Horticultural register, and gardener's magazine. Boston, G. D. Barrett [etc.] url p. 22.
- Horticultural societies of Ontario. Report. TorontoKing's Printer url p. 76.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 215, p. 370, p. 451, p. 81.
- How to make a country place; an account of the successes and the mistakes of an amateur in thirty-five years of farming, building and development: together with a practical plan for securing a home and an independent income, star New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1914. url p. 366.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 240.
- Hymenoptera of America north of Mexico: synoptic catalog, second supplement / prepared by the staff and collaborators of the Hymenoptera Unit, Insect Identification and Parasite Introduction Research Branch, Entomology Research Division, Agricultural Research Service, under the Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1967. url p. 487.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 43.
- Irish ethno-botany and the evolution of medicine in Ireland. Dublin, M. H. Gill, 1919. url p. 91.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 37.
- Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England. London:Royal Agricultural Society of England [etc.], 1840-2002. url p. 14, p. 29.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 356, p. 482.
- Leechdoms, wortcunning, and starcraft of early England. Being a collection of documents, for the most part never before printed, illustrating the history of science in this country before the Norman conquest. Collected and edited by the Rev. Oswald Cockayne. London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green, 1864-66. url p. 378.
- Light, vegetation, and chlorophyll [by] J. Terrien, G. Truffaut and J. Carles. Translated by Madge E. Thompson. New York, Philosophical Library url p. 140.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 19, p. 19, p. 24, p. 27, p. 28, p. 29, p. 30, p. 30, p. 32, p. 33, p. 40, p. 43, p. 64, p. 66, p. 71.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 735.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 413, p. 586.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 64.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 292, p. 369.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 111, p. 114, p. 127, p. 128.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 639.
- Miscellaneous tracts relating to natural history, husbandry, and physick. To which is added The calendar of flora. London: R. and J. Dodsley, S. Baker, and T. Payne, 1762. url p. 306.
- Muhlenbergia. Chico, Calif. [etc] url p. 132.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 26.
- Mémoires. Bruxelles, The Society. url p. 153, p. 158, p. 240, p. 43, p. 45, p. 97.
- Natural history of Selborne, and observations on nature / by Gilbert White; with the text and new letters of the Buckland edition; introduction by John Burroughs; illustrations by Clifton Johnson. Toronto: Musson Book Co., 1904. url p. 227.
- Nature's garden: With many color illustrations. Garden City, N. Y., : Garden City Pub. Co., [c1900] url .
- Nature's garden: an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors... / text by Neltje Blanchan. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, c1900. url p. 30.
- Nature's garden; an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors. With colored plates and many other illus. photographed directly from nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. Text by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] 1922 Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 30.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 123, p. 300, p. 300, p. 476.
- North Atlantic biota and their history; a symposium held at the University of Iceland, Reykjavík, July 1962, under the auspices of the University of Iceland and the Museum of Natural History. Editors: Askell Löve and Doris Löve. Sponsored Oxford, New York, Pergamon Press, 1963 url p. 368, p. 369.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 136.
- Objects for the microscope, being a popular description of the most instructive and beautiful subjects for exhibition. London, Groombridge and sons, 1871. url p. 28.
- Objects for the microscope: being a popular description of the most instructive and beautiful subjects for exhibition / by L. Lane Clarke. London: Groombridge, 1863. url p. 31.
- Old time gardens, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1901. url p. 265.
- Old time gardens, newly set forth by Alice Morse Earle; a book on the sweet o' the year. New York: Macmillan, 1922 [c1901] url p. 265.
- Old time gardens: newly set forth by Alice Morse Earle; a book of the sweet o' the year. London, Macmillan & Co ltd., 1901. url p. 265.
- Old-fashioned gardening; a history and a reconstruction, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1913. url .
- On British wild flowers considered in relation to insects / by Sir John Lubbock; with numerous illustrations. London; Macmillan, 1890. url p. 119.
- Our garden flowers; a popular study of their native lands, their life histories, and their structural affiliations, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1910. url , , , .
- Photoperiodism and related phenomena in plants and animals; proceedings, edited by Robert B. Withrow, with the cooperation of Arthur C. Giese [and others]. Washington, 1959. url p. 354, p. 355, p. 374.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 312, p. 422.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 175, p. 272, p. 81.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url , p. 178, p. 178.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, New York, A. T. De La Mare Co., Inc.[c1921] url , .
- Plant indicators: the relation of plant communities to process and practice. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1920 url p. 304.
- Plants for California landscapes: a catalog of drought tolerant plants. [Sacramento, Calif.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Water Resources,  url p. 90.
- Plantsman. Durham, N.H.: New Hampshire Plant Growers' Association, url p. 11.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 331, p. 331, p. 492, p. 492.
- Popular errors about plants / New York: Rural Pub. Co., [c1892] url .
- Popular errors about plants; by A. A. Crozier. New York, Rural publishing company[c1892] url p. 18.
- Popular field botany; containing a familiar and technical description of the plants most common to the various localities of the British Isles, adapted to the study of either the artificial or natural systems. London, Reeve, Benham & Reeve, 1849. url p. 329.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 93.
- Popular science news, formerly Boston journal of chemistry. A popular illustrated monthly devoted to the progress in zoology, botany, mineralogy, archaeology, hygiene, invention, with related physical sciences and general v. 1-36; July 1866-Dec. 1902. Boston, J.R. Nichols & co. [etc.]1866-; New York, W. O. Allison [etc., 1894]-1902. url p. 86.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. xiii.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 47, p. xiv.
- Practical physiology of plants, Cambridge, University press, 1901 url p. 212.
- Practical physiology of plants, by Francis Darwin. .. and the late E. Hamilton Acton. Cambridge, University press, 1901. url p. 212.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 107, p. 107.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 227, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 261, p. 263, p. 264, p. 33, p. 426, p. 428, p. 429, p. 52, p. 542, p. 60.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 380.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 13, p. 498, p. 573.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 46.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 449, p. 654.
- Proceedings of the annual convention of the society of American Florists. Boston [etc.]Society of American Florists and Ornamental Horticulturalists. url p. 106.
- Report and Transactions of the Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists Glasgow:Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists, 1873-77. url p. 103.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 199.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 328.
- Researches about atmospheric phenomena. By Thomas Forster. London: Printed for Harding, Mavor, and Lepard, 1823. url p. 381, p. 414.
- Sandusky flora. A catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns growing without cultivation, in Erie County, Ohio, and the peninsula and islands of Ottawa County, Wooster, O., Press of Clapper Printing Co., 1899. url .
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 306, p. 621, p. 86.
- Scientific lectures, London, Macmillan and Co., 1890. url .
- Scientific lectures, by the Rt. Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London, Macmillan and Co., 1890. url p. 38.
- Scientific lectures. By Sir John Lubbock. London, Macmillan and Co., 1879. url p. 37.
- Scientific lectures. London, Macmillan, 1890. url p. 38.
- Scientific papers and addresses / arr. and edited by William Turner, with a biographical sketch by Edward B. Tylor. Oxford: Clarendon Press1884 url p. 349.
- Sharp eyes; a rambler's calendar of fifty-two weeks among insects, birds, and flowers; by Wm. Hamilton Gibson. .. Illustrated by the author. New York [etc.]Harper & Brothers[c1919] url p. 312.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 155.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 154, p. 33, p. 73, p. 98.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 12.
- Stout manual training school; a handbook for planning and planting small home grounds. .. with a list of native and commonly cultivated plants that are represented in the collection upon the Stout manual training school grounds. Menomonie, Wis., Stout manual training school, 1899. url p. 39, p. 55, p. 68.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 713.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 2180.
- The American entomologist. St. Louis: R.P. Studley & Co., 1868-1870. url p. 379, p. 379.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia and dictionary of rural affairs: embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry / adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 191.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia: embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, and the use of mineral, vegetable and animal manures, with descriptions and figures of American insects, injurious to vegetation. Being by Gouverneur Emerson, of Pennsylvania, upon the basis of Johnson's Farmer's encyclopedia. New York: A.O. Moore, Agricultural Book Publisher, 1858, [c1857] url p. 191.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia; embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 191.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url , p. 1265, p. 1444, p. 229, p. 251, p. 31, p. 447, p. 503, p. 555, p. 614, p. 750, p. 874.
- The American flower garden / by Neltje Blanchan; planting lists by Leonard Barron; illustrated with one hundred full-page photographs. New York: Doubleday, Page & Company, 1909. url , p. 248, p. 248, p. 355.
- The American flower garden, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1909. url p. 248, p. 355.
- The American gardener's assistant in three parts containing complete practical directions for the cultivation of vegetables, flowers, fruit trees and grape vines / by Thomas Bridgeman Philadelphia: H. T. Coates, [c1866] url p. 22, p. 22.
- The American gardener's assistant. In three parts. Containing complete practical directions for the cultivation of vegetables, flowers, fruit trees, and grape-vines. By Thomas Bridgeman. New York, W. Wood & Co., 1867. url p. 22.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 232, p. 243.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 225, p. 99.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 442.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 193, p. 222, p. 273, p. 301, p. 320, p. 321, p. 559, p. 58, p. 740.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 112.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 48.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal: Natural History Society, 1884-1916. url p. 276.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 71, p. 96.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 159, p. 159, p. 352, p. 352.
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url p. 172.
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 149.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 107, p. 1137, p. 117, p. 119, p. 12, p. 122, p. 1241, p. 158, p. 165, p. 220, p. 332, p. 374, p. 429, p. 488, p. 579, p. 59, p. 630, p. 644, p. 678, p. 721, p. 787, p. 831, p. 957.
- The Gaelic names of plants (Scottish, Irish, and Manx), collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaeli Glasgow, J. Mackay, 1900. url .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 159, p. 217, p. 218, p. 288, p. 290, p. 422, p. 69.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 341.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 279.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1856 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 110, p. 870.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 121, p. 128, p. 131, p. 171, p. 19, p. 268, p. 283, p. 292, p. 343, p. 344, p. 350, p. 376, p. 39, p. 404, p. 413, p. 415, p. 424, p. 425, p. 427, p. 436, p. 49, p. 532, p. 560, p. 59, p. 614, p. 71, p. 758, p. 759, p. 79, p. 811, p. 82.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 19, p. 232, p. 233, evert & hartman, page 482.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luther Tucker, 1846-1875. url p. 372.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 60.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 380, p. 380.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 123, p. 173, p. 40, p. 43, p. 515.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 9 1867 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 227, p. 314, p. 361, p. 432, p. 516, p. 574.
- The Journal of the Quekett Microscopical Club. [London: Quekett Microscopical Club, 1868]-1966. url .
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 178.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url .
- The Naturalist. 1894 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 51.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery. London: Smith, Elder and co., 1863. url p. 301.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 136, p. 85.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 453.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 357.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1127, p. 576.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 193.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 87.
- The book of annuals: a pictorial guide to the choice and culture of fifty of the most dependable plants that flower the first year from seed / New York: McBride, Nast, 1913. url , , .
- The book of annuals; New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1913. url p. 53.
- The botany of the Eastern Borders: with the popular names and uses of the plants, and of the customs and beliefs which have been associated with them / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1853. url , p. 126, p. 155.
- The botany of the eastern borders, with the popular names and uses of the plants, and of the customs and beliefs which have been associated with them. London, J. Van Voorst, 1853. url , , .
- The classes and orders of the Linnaean system of botany: Illustrated by select specimens of foreign and indigenous plants. London: Printed by T. Bensley for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1816. url p. 389.
- The colours of flowers as illustrated in the British flora. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 51, p. 83.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url , p. 240, p. 240, p. 241, p. 241, p. 245, p. 245, p. 280.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 153, p. 331, p. 387.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & co., 1868. url p. 191.
- The farmer's and the planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo & co., 1851. url p. 191.
- The farmer's encyclopædia, and dictionary of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry. Adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers. .. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. Adapted to the United States by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 191.
- The farmer's guide to scientific and practical agriculture. Detailing the labors of the farmer, in all their variety, and adapting them to the seasons of the year as they successively occur. By Henry Stephens, assisted by John P. Norton. New York, L. Scott, 1850-1851. url p. 97.
- The feeding of crops and stock: an introduction to the science of the nutrition of plants and animals / by A.D. Hall. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1911. url p. 164.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 102.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 102.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 212.
- The florist's guide, New York, For sale by the author; Boston, J. Breck & co.; [etc., etc.]1844. url p. 18.
- The florist's guide; containing practical directions for the cultivation of annual, biennial, and perennial flowering plants, of different classes, herbaceous and shrubby, bulbous, fibrous, and tuberous-rooted; including By T. Bridgeman. New York: Printed by A. Hanford, 1847. url p. 18.
- The florist, fruitist, and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1852- url p. 131.
- The flower and the bee; plant life and pollination, LondonConstable1919 url p. 219, p. 280.
- The flower garden; or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for t by Joseph Breck. New York: A. O. Moore, 1859. url p. 171.
- The flower-garden: or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for th by Joseph Breck. Boston: J. P. Jewett & company, 1851. url p. 171.
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom and cultivation of all desirable, hardy plants for the formal or wild garden, with additional lists of aquatics, vines, etc., New York, F. A. Stokes Company url p. 490.
- The garden... London, 1872- url .
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 459, p. 71.
- The geography of plants. .. London, American Sunday-School Union;[1850?] url p. 31.
- The handbook to the flower garden and greenhouse / by George Glenny. London: W. Kent, 1859. url p. 74.
- The joyous art of gardening; a book of first aid to the amateur, New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1917. url .
- The landscape gardening book, wherein are set down the simple laws of beauty and utility which should guide the development of all grounds, by Grace Tabor. New York, R. M. McBride, 1916. url p. 131.
- The natural history & antiquities of Selborne in the county of Southampton, by Gilbert White, with illustrations in colour by George Edward Collins... London: Macmillan and co., limited, 1911. url p. 398.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton / by the Rev. Gilbert White London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1888 url .
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 328.
- The natural history of Selborne: with a naturalist's calendar and additional observations. / by Gilbert White; with a preface by Richard Jefferies. London: W. Scott, 1887. url p. 299.
- The natural history of Selborne; with A naturalist's calendar & additional observations; with a pref. by Richard Jefferies. London: Scott, 1887. url p. 301.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada, Toronto, Pub. by the Canadian institute, 1913. url .
- The natural laws of husbandry By Justus von Liebig. Ed. by John Blyth. .. New York: D. Appleton and company, 1863. url p. 226.
- The natural laws of husbandry, London, Walton & Maberly, 1863. url p. 234.
- The natural laws of husbandry. By Justus von Liebig. Ed. by John Blyth. .. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1863. url p. 226.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url , , .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 58.
- The parasitic fungi of New Jersey / by Carl A. Schwarze. New Brunswick: New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Stations, 1917. url p. 205.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 497, p. 511.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 121.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 262.
- The practical flower garden, by Helena Rutherfurd Ely. .. with illustrations made from photographs taken in the author's garden, and in the "Connecticut garden." London, The Macmillan company, 1911. url p. 263.
- The primaeval world of Switzerland by Professor Heer; edited by James Heywood. London: Longmans, Green, 1876. url p. 266.
- The principles of biology, by Herbert Spencer. New York: D. Appleton and company, [c1898-99] url p. 173.
- The principles of biology. By Herbert Spencer. .. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1866-67. url p. 158.
- The principles of biology. New YorkD. Appleton1899-1902 url p. 173.
- The principles of practical gardening. London: R. Baldwin, 1845. url p. 54.
- The principles of rational agriculture applied to India and its staple products / by Eugene C. Schrottky. Bombay: Times of India Office, 1876. url p. 55.
- The quantitative method in biology, London, Longmans, Green & co., 1919 url , , , , , , , , .
- The quantitative method in biology. Manchester [Eng.]University Press1919 url p. 180, p. 183, p. 186, p. 194, p. 205, p. 21, p. 58, p. 59, p. 62.
- The rusts of Australia their structure, nature and classification / by D. McAlpine. Melbourne: Robt. S. Brain, government printer1906. url p. 288, p. 42, p. 437, p. 444.
- The rusts of Australia, their structure, nature, and classification. Melbourne, Brain, 1906. url p. 331, p. 338, p. 42.
- The soil; an introduction to the scientific study of of the growth of crops. New YorkDutton1920 url p. 322.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , p. 147.
- The variation of animals and plants under domestication, by Charles Darwin. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 440.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 496, p. 497, p. 688, p. 725, p. 735, p. 879.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 497, p. 688, p. 699, p. 735, p. 879.
- The weeds, poison plants, and naturalized aliens of Victoria. Melbourne, J. Kemp, Government Printer1909. url .
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 248, p. 364.
- The young gardener's assistant, in three parts containing catalogues of garden and flower seed, New York, For sale by the author and E. Walker [etc., 1847] url p. 18.
- The young gardener's assistant: containing a catalogue of garden & flower seeds, with practical directions under each head for the cultivation of culinary vegetables and flowers; also directions for cultivating fruit trees, the gra by T. Bridgeman. New York: [s.n.], 1840 url p. 136.
- The young gardener's assistant; containing a catalogue of garden & flower seeds, with practical directions under each head, for the cultivation of culinary vegetables and flowers. Also directions for cultivating fruit trees, the gra New York, Mitchell & Turner, 1837. url p. 124.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 123, p. 135, p. 212, p. 223, p. 49, p. 97.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. 7 1874 Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 374.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 90.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 170.
- Transactions of the Illinois natural history society. Ed. by C.D. Wilber. Springfield, 1861. url p. 141.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 63.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 186.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 110, p. 121, p. 179, p. 198.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 308.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 110.
- Vernalization and photoperiodism, a symposium by A. E. Murneek [and others] Foreword by Kenneth V. Thimann. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1948. url p. 80.
- Wayside and woodland blossoms; a pocket guide to British wild flowers for the country rambler. London, Warne, 1895. url p. 66.
- Weeds and wild flowers: their uses, legends, and literature. By Lady Wilkinson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1858. url p. 302.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 230.
- Garcia-Jacas, N., A. Susanna, V. Mozaffarian, and R. Ilarslan. 2000. The natural delimitation of Centaurea (Asteraceae: Cardueae): ITS sequence analysis of the Centaurea jacea group. Pl. Syst. Evol. 223: 185199.
- Moore, R. J. 1972. Distribution of native and introduced knapweeds (Centaurea) in Canada and the United States. Rhodora 74: 331346.
- Roché, B. F. and C. T. Roché. 1991. Identification, introduction, distribution, ecology, and economics of Centaurea species. In: L. F. James et al., eds. 1991. Noxious Range Weeds. Boulder, San Francisco, and Oxford. Pp. 274291.
- Wagenitz, G. 1955. Pollenmorphologie und Systematik in der Gattung Centaurea L. s.l. Flora 142: 213279.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3875154
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Ast-22434
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4706086
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:56945-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 9817
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 36954
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDAST1Y050
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: LECY
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 28382
- David J. Keil, Jörg Ochsmann "Centaurea". in Flora of North America Vol. 19, 20 and 21 Page 52, 57, 58, 67, 83, 84, 96, 171, 172, 176, 177, EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 174.200 meters (571.522 feet), Standard Deviation = 224.520 based on 8,305 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]